Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm a newbie to guitar and I'm having great fun. I want to play some songs that I enjoy (rather than Skip to My Lou, Jamaica Farewell, etc.). Ultimate-Guitar.com seems a little hit and miss and I enjoyed reading from my brother's Complete Beatles Tablature book, so am I better off buying tab book of an album I want to play more, or that is easier to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Guys, something is wrong with my guitar and I don't know what :(

It's a brand new Epi SG - and it's hissing/fizzing/buzzing when it's not amplified. It's most obvious if I fret the A strain closest to the pickups. It sounds like something inside the guitar is resonating or something - it doesn't sound like a buzz when you mis-fret something.

Oddly I have literally changed nothing on it, but the temperature has been all over the place for the last few days (-1 to 16 degrees centigrade). My step brother believes that this happens with new guitars and they need to be tuned up after playing a new one for a while.

Any ideas?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I currently have an Epiphone SG400 and a VOX DA5 - since I didn't get any cool Xmas presents I want to be a bit of a man-child and buy myself something musical. I'm about six months into guitar and a few months into bass - I love them both so far. Would it be a big mistake to plonk down a wodge of cash on a high end (i.e. $600-$1k) guitar at this stage, or am I better off looking at getting a better amp? I'm thinking more along the lines of BC Rich, Dean and Ibanez than Gibson or Fender though - would that affect resale value?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hm, I like the Explorer copy but I'm not a huge fan of the Les Paul or Strat body style to be honest - and they seem to be approximating those. Is there something inherently worse or better about aforementioned Dean/BC Rich/Ibanez stuff which makes it easier/harder to play (forgetting the fact I would look like I went through a gothic-puberty stage 10 years too late if I bought a Warlock)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I was widdling away and found a nice little ditty I want to incorporate into a song - it uses the notes: E, F#, G and D. I've only done stuff in the Key of C and it looks like that would be in G since there's the F# - what do I change to make a progression that would fit with it? Since F# is a VII of G and all the chord progressions I've found don't use VII, am I good to just use a simple I-IV-V (i.e. D-G-A) ?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hi guys, I fully understand that this is the musical equivalent of a child drawing with crayons in the road, but here's a little intro and ditty that I made in the last few days that I like and would like some advice on:

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/zdru

It's just Em to D and I quite like the sound. I was looking at a G, D, C, Em progression for a verse section but nothing sounds correct - it's too chunky and loud in comparison to the reserved section I like.

Any suggestions?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I can finger big chords fine on my acoustic, i.e. C7, B7 and so on - unfortunately on my electric I'm getting that zinging sound where an open string is hitting the flesh of an adjoining fretting fingertip. Is there anything I can do? I'm not amplifying the electric so I don't know if it'll sound like a muted string through the amp, or whether that zinging will continue through. Ideas? (btw, not a fatty, relatively small etc.)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Would I regret a HSS Strat in favor of an SSS strat, assuming I wanted my guitar to sound like a strat? I do really like the strat sound and I want it, and I quite like megadeth/sabbath style sounds and it seems I can't get that from single coils, but if I can only get a bastard version via the bridge humbucker rather than the 'real deal' I'd prefer to know now, rather than later.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Is this a decent guitar for a beginner? If not, can anyone recommend a decent guitar for less than £100 that I can get left handed without restringing?

I got this one and it's done me well so far: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002901&langId=-1&searchTerms=YAMAHA+F310

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

it's symmetrical tho?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Would I regret a Marauder over a regular Strat as my first 'own' guitar?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Picked myself up a strat the other day, I couldn't honestly tell you the tonal difference between a MIM and MIA strat, but half of the cost was via trade-in of a Bass, and this guy is going to have some resale value in 2, 5 or 10 years time. I have promised myself tho, that I will not be buying another guitar.

Coming from an entirely metal and rock background I was sure I was going to go apeshit over Explorers, Les Pauls, Ibanez Superstrats and all that - but I just couldn't get over the mud that came out of almost all of them in comparison to the sound of a single coil on maple. I just love it more than anything else, and I'd better given how much it set me back.

Now I just need to find some inspiration beyond Clapton, Gilmour and Hendrix.

2011 Fender American Standard in Sienna Burst with a maple fingerboard:
http://i.imgur.com/9rmCA.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

TriggerHappy posted:

Guitar preference is a very personal thing, so no one accurately answer this. I will say that the Marauder seems pretty versatile, which is good for a first guitar. Still, if your hands don't fit the neck well, or you hate the way it sits on your lap or around your neck, it might not be for you.

I'm looking forward to trying one, I haven't seen any in the shops around here yet.

Thank you, I picked up the MIA strat at the end of the last page :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Perfect practise makes perfect - but does mindful but not stressful practise make decent?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a big valve amp - would it make sense to get a mic and use that to record into a DAW for my own tracks? Or a direct input? Are there any drawbacks? because the mic would be able to be used for vocals, other instruments, etc.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

This is a bit of an open-ended question, but here goes - I've got an old 70's english branded 18w all-tube combo amp with a 15" greenback celestion in it. I've got an SSS strat. Clean, it sounds like the mutt's nutts, but I'd like some overdrive and fuzz. Should I put my money into an amp head that overdrives naturally (i.e. Orange Micro Terror, Blackstar HT-1) and hook it into the celestion, or should I focus on finding some nice overdrive and fuzz pedals?

Here's my guitar:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Frankston posted:

It looks good, but unfortunately I'm in the UK and I cannot find it anywhere, except for a Kindle version on Amazon, and I don't have a Kindle. :(

Get the Justin Guitar beginner method book, it's by far the best book for this kind of thing, then follow justinguitar.com when you can feel yourself getting more excited for it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

edit. nevermind

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 14, 2013

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a HT-1, and it sounds great by itself both clean and overdriven. If I try to put a distortion of any kind infront of it, it starts to sound flubby and shite. If I use the line-out into headphones, it goes back to sounding awesome again. Am I correct in assuming this is a limitation of the 8" speaker? I have an old bass combo with a 15" speaker that I could attempt to add a socket to, would that work?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a Blackstar HT-1 which I think sounds great with my Strat, even coaxing some metal tones out of it with some careful EQing.

However, I've also got a H-S-H Yamaha:

I'm really not sure what I should do with it - I've adjusted the neck (it's basically straight) and the action (the G string is bottomed out) and the action is still about twice what it should be - around 4mm at the 22nd fret. The pickups are boomy and sound OK with alot of high gain distortion but little else. Access to the upper frets isn't great, and I quite dislike the hardware (two tele knobs, a five-way and blackened metal). I specced out some off-brand aftermarket pickups that would mimick the Les Paul signature pick-ups and replacement hardware and it totals more than the value of the guitar.

The guitar would fit into a slot that I need something for smoother jazz, classic rock, slower thrash and NWoBHM. Pretty much everything else I think my Strat is just simply a better tool for. (And honestly from a purely songwriting/musician perspective the strat is more than adequate already)

I guess I'm asking is it worth doing anything with this guitar, or shall I return it to the guy who gave it to me? I would need to find a way to get the action EVEN lower (a neck shim?) and replace the bits as per above, and I'm just not sure if this will ever a) match up to my strat in terms of playability or b) be worth the money being invested in comparison to picking up a second-hand Epi G400 or ESP LTD Viper.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 4, 2013

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I wouldn't say that I hate it, but I really don't have anything positive to say about it other than 'it is a guitar that I have in my possession'. I guess literally the only thing I can't do well is that thick distorted hair metal sound, and what is probably a 'grass is greener'-type attitude it's what I really want to sound like at the moment. I've been playing lots of Iron Maiden and AC/DC.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I like attempting the Mustaine style of powerchords - index and ring for any movements towards the headstock, middle and pinky for any movements towards the bridge. It makes those licks which mix chromatic movement with scale skipping really easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2z63HdLdy8

He's using it to move strings there, but it's equally valid if you're just moving around the frets on a single string IMO.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My question is this: Why is sight-reading so difficult on the guitar? I have almost no trouble sight-reading the bass clef on my bass guitar, but the equivalent density of notes using the treble clef on a six string just ends in frustration every single time.

I am slowly learning to play Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and I was able to get the chord changes down within a few play-throughs, but I'm still struggling with the first few bars of the melody.

To illustrate my main failings - I find myself mis-reading the note occasionally, but more often am able to read correctly but mis-fret a note. Lastly, I find myself with a mental block for seconds at a time.

My ear isn't too bad, but this particular song changes between three keys in quick succession and chords change every two beats with rare exception - so I can't root myself into a single scale or position very easily.

Is there a method of working through this without agony? Or is it simply a case of brute-forcing through things?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Alleric posted:

You must turn the whole process into eye-to-hand. No head.

So more like direct-to-hand transfer rather than interpretation? I like the idea of that and I can see how (in theory at least) it would make sense.

quote:

All this being said though, I would suggest finding some way simpler stuff to just practice sight-reading on.

I would really prefer to avoid 'Happy Birthday' and 'Old Swanee River', ideally sticking with Jazz if possible - do you have any suggestions, by any chance?

Thanks!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

FWIW I have found the bridge totally usable as long as the volume control is backed off about two-thirds up, but admittedly is only all that useful with SOME distortion.

Also - why would you put a coil split humbucker in there if you already dislike a single-coil bridge sound?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How about DiMarzio Injectors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5QWODzgEq0

Check out Olympic, it is insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZqQukK4A0U

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Having wrestled with Giant Steps for most of the last week and getting precisely nowhere, I'd to turn my brain off. One of the things I've been trying to learn is how to smash together a solo from a scale - for example, I can play the minor pentatonic inside out and upside down and I can play a fair few artists solos, but I'm really not sure about how I go about creating my own. Any thoughts on that?

Alleric posted:

Mayhap my rich, thick counterpart to my cleany-clean Strat should be a semi-hollow. Hmmm...

Just to bounce some ideas around, how about an Ibanez Artcore, or Gretsch Centre-Block, or ES-339?

duckfarts posted:

So, now that I have a bunch of pedals, particularly a few with no battery compartment, I need a power supply. Is the Joyo JP-02 okay enough, or do I have to pony up and get something like a Fuel Tank Jr or Chameleon?

I got a no-name charger with a daisy-chain attachment for a few pounds, works fine on everything from an 80's Proco RAT to a BOSS NS-2: the ONLY thing I have problems with is a Joyo Ultimate Drive which hisses like crazy.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Alleric posted:

Do you practice any diatonic major or minor scales?..

Oh most definitely - I know my major, minor diatonic and pentatonics in most positions, all of the modes (but realistically Dorian, Mixolydian across the fingerboard - the rest are in one-octave shapes). I can finger aug, maj7, dom7, min7, m7b5, and dim chords across the neck. I can work with pretty much any strumming pattern, chugging, pedal notes, fingerstyle, travis picking (but I do have a hard time holding rhythm and this is something I'm working on)

As we've discussed when talking about Jazz I'm aware of music theory, nashville numbering, typical progressions (and how they work diatonically, but not much on playing melodically over them). I can belt out a few full songs: Run to the Hills, Crystal Mountain, Enter Sandman, Tears in Heaven, Hells Bells, Blue Bossa, All the things You are, Autumn leaves, etc. (and a bunch of simple strumming songs given the chord progressions infront of me like Every Rose has its Thorn, Wonderful Tonight, Sittin on the Dock of the Bay).

I've written a few short songs and riffs, but I've never been in a situation that would spontaneously require me to come up with choruses and verses that match, or a bridge or solo that would fit.

Really I've had more time thinking about the theory and learning that than with hands-on time on the instrument, so I think I'm a little ahead of myself there and behind on practical application :(

AF75 - my bad, I didn't see the nametag. What about a PRS Semi hollow?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 13, 2013

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all for the advice, I'm going to attempt to nail some chord tones over jam tracks and see how that works.

Sockington posted:

Ordered an Agile 727 flat black with white binding.

What styles are you playing?

I've got Denmark Street about 300 yards away from my office, which is basically the mecca for music shops in Western europe and it sorely temps me almost every day. I have been playing around with the idea of a seven or an eight stringer, but I couldn't justify it whilst knowing a) my abilities on a six aren't being tested and b) I cannot find a single piece of music that I enjoy more played on a 7/8 than a standard guitar.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Alleric how about one of the Gretsch center-blocks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHXRANnuejk

Have I already asked this?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How about one of the Seagulls? I found a Seagull Parlor was one of my favorite instruments when I was playing them a few months ago: http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_coastline_grand.html

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I don't always agree with Rich Menga, but he is pretty good at cutting through most nonsense. Jump to 8:30 for one of his tones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7J8my7602o

His opinion: Bridge pickup with vol backed off, Grunge Digitech, mild Chorus effect and a solid state amp.

He has a part 2 with delay included for faux-doubletracking, too.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 20, 2013

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

These are 2 Rondo's near me I'm looking at. Seem ok? (besides me going and actually seeing them, probably tomorrow, I'm a nub :downs:).

One
Two

I personally love maple fretboard guitars, although the back of the neck should really be satin, but the cherry burst looks better than the purple. Tough choice but I'm sure both would be decent to try.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

comes along bort posted:

Of course I say that and then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_u1ymiC4o

It's interesting you posted this, because I went out and got myself a Mooer Rage Machine, which is a clone of a Death Metal. It makes my strat sound pretty huge, here's a demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBsAHFPF03w

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Dirt posted:

blues dad

Can we please let this die?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85v4T-Q51io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwalj_BhkbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvpXSPtZfeE

Haw haw blues dad because rich ppl les paul i-iv-v, right guys? RIGHT? :haw:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Can someone give me a sanity check on the following idea?

I currently have a H-S-H Yamaha which is in need of some TLC, and I'm thinking of sprucing it up in the meantime too:

I'm thinking of taking it apart and spraying it Daphne Blue, cutting a pickguard to fit (and removing/hiding the centre pick-up) and then fitting either the Seymour Duncan Slash pickups (I know of a great set that mimics them precisely) or another PAF-clone, letting it end up something like this, but with two aged-chrome humbuckers:

My question is this: What do I need to ensure is 'right' on my Yamaha before I go down this route? I'd hate to throw $250 into this and end up disappointed. Currently it plays quite nicely, the only complaint is that the action is a little high and lowering it causes buzzing. I would take the guitar for a professional setup after I have made the changes listed above.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's really a question of amp/settings rather than guitar honestly - try neck pickup with tone and vol backed off a little if there's no chance of trying another amp.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What's the best way to improve my riff creation chops? I'm fairly confident playing rhythm on pretty much anything if it's laid out, but I find it kind of hard to put together a coherent repeatable riff that would fit into a song.

Having said that, this might be an effect of knowing how other songs fit together (a bit like when you hum a melody in your head while imagining the chords, bassline and drums - it sounds quite different to an outside observer).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Funny thing, even after replacing my Yamaha's pickups with Slash-signatures, I still don't sound like Slash. I guess they must be faulty, will return to manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What's the secret from running up and down chord arpeggios over a jazz progression to actually improving a melody? It feels like there's a small gap that I just can't fathom how to jump.