Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Hi, I have a squire telecaster from Indonesia that I got for free. I’m thinking about getting this

https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_AL-3100MCC_Silverburst_Wide.html

because, we’ll, it’s loving silverburst, but also, it has coil taps and humbuckers which would be nice to have in addition to the SC shitcaster. Please guide me rondos seem popular here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

That's around the same price as an Epiphone Les Paul Classic. Was the telecast humbucker model because a LP style guitar would be a whole different thing.

But you can never have too many guitars...

Epiphones don’t have coil taps tho

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Maybe not the right thread, but any recommendations on headphones for plugging into amps? Should I just get a 1/4 inch adapter for my hyper X clouds?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Hello!

I just finished reading through about the last 2/3 of the thread and am now finally caught up. Which means, it's time for participation and the best part of any internet forum, posting!

I have been fully indoctrinated by the goon school of guitar. Please see below for the multi pack of weird telecaster, cheap guitars, and brand names!

That Tele has Boot Strap Palo Duros, which I put in myself with some help from my local guitar techs. Gutted all the electronics, new pots, wiring etc. It has a push pull pot for series wiring on the tone. I'm thinking about doing a reverse control face.

LTD 256, that was my first guitar I bought for myself. Great guitar, love the binding, going to maybe put some new pick ups in there. Thinking black and crème zebras. Maybe Bootstrap as well, open to recommendations. By far my favorite neck despite being gloss.

Fender T-bucket, which I dunno. its a cut away acoustic which is what I wanted, and it projects well and has that lovely Fender logo.

This here was my anniversary present to myself. Unknown model year American Special HSS strat. Sadly it has the worst fret buzz I have ever seen. Its driving my insane. For the money I paid for it, I'm pretty disappointed. My shop says it's do some uneven frets and it would be about 170 for a fret level and set up, For about $240 I can get it plecked which I'm debating doing. I tried to live with it, I think if I was playing in space as opposed to in the house with headphones I wouldn't mind it so much, but as it stands, it is killing me.

Obligatory Boss Katana MK2. If any goon wants it lmk I'm looking to get the Head Unit instead.

Anyone else noisegate the poo poo out of all their dirt channels? I can't deal, am I just soft?

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 3, 2021

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

next time get a Squier and have it plek’d (maybe upgrade the pickups), pretty much the same thing

cool that's helpful, thanks.

As an aside, do Squier's have the compound radii necks?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that to come off as much of a dick comment as it did

If I spent $1k+ on a guitar I’d expect it to not have those lovely issues

It's cool. Also, you and I feel the exact same way friendo.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

landgrabber posted:

i guess i'm still also just failing to see how "i can't find the relationships i want between diatonic chords in a song i'm trying to write" will be solved by "listening to jazz for hours until i get it"

like, to me this scans like a problem that probably has real solutions or understanding that can be come to that isn't "have you heard of relative minors" or "listen to jazz and hope it sinks in". that's the sort of thing that should have something specific that fixes it that i'm just missing.

I hope you use the time in your incoming long vacation from the forums to study building tension and resolving I think that will help you musically. Not sure what’s going to help with your posting, except you not doing it for a while.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

duodenum posted:

I still have my EC-256 in gloss black with gold hardware if you want to check that out, $275 for a goon. I’m in the Houston area, but willing to ship if we work it out.

I love my 256. Feels good plays good. The bridge height will like to walk out of spec when you change strings. So measure that bad person before you undo the strings. I feel like they could use a pup upgrade but I’m not sure what to do with them.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

So I have a question for your Katana wielders out there.

I read earlier in this thread that the Katana's clean signal doesn't "break up" like a tube amp would it just starts to clip once its pushed past the limits of the speaker. Is the idea then to use the "gain" knob in that situation to spoof the break up? Also if I wanted to use the katana as my clean signal into an FX loop to stack ODs/Fuzz etc will the pedals essentially do that?

I am not a very long time player and I'm dabbling with this stuff for the first time so if this is a stupid question please let me know.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

So I'm dabbling with some modulation in the Katana and I'm realizing I'm kinda boned. I use a looper to lay down some tracks, and I was trying to do a multi track, but the modulation comes after the looper. is there a clever way to get the katana to play the modulated track or is the answer "buy a phase 90 and put it before the looper"

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Put looper into amp fx loop

I don't think the 50w has an FX loop :(

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

oh then you're hosed

its cool. I wanted a phase 90 anyway.....

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Hey y’all I need some katana advice. I currently have a mk2 50w with the foot switch. I’ve been looking for a 100w for a while now for the expanded features over the 50w. However I found a mk1 100w with the fancier foot switch for $325 after tax which from what I’ve seen is a pretty decent deal. But it is a mk1 not a mk2

Should I pull the trigger on the 100w? The advantages would be foot controllable individual effects toggles (reverb mod boost etc) and an effects loop. Disadvantages are a less robust software package than the mk2 and shared pots for the mod/reverb split and and no “variation” amp models and… no hm2

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Here’s MK2 for just a bit more than that (please buy it so I can’t): https://reverb.com/item/35188097-bo...ontent=35188097

But yeah, hunt around for deals and pounce. They’re out there, but I’d be quick about them.

$275 to $300 for a used mk2 seems to be normal. It was more than the full fancy foot switch was I included was why I was intrigued.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

A funny thing happened today.

I won an incentive program at work a few weeks ago and had my eye on a katana 100w mk2 for a while now.

so I mosey on down to the local GC and get me one

But I noticed something strange

Could it be?

Awwww yisssssss

So wha ha happen wuz

I noticed the white ones were on the floor. This kind GC employee pulled it for me and went to ring me up and could not. They had 7 in inventory but 0 available. After talking with the GM we learned that they were not technically released yet. So I went and got a black one and set it down. I got rang up, and went and grabbed the black one. Turns out I got mixed up and grabbed the white one and he didn't notice. So I effectively stole this white 100w mk2. I even called when I got home to ask if they wanted me to bring it back but hey never picked up lol. So after letting it ring for 90 seconds I hung up and now I have this sweet rear end new white katana.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

I got a $100 gift card to guitar center for christmas. I am pretty good on pedals for now. (Might get a RAT or a Fender Pugilst, but I can't decide and I don't really want to go over the amount on the card save tax or whatever)

Anyone have any recs for Studio head cans that might be worth it? I have a pair of HyperX Cloud 2s plugged into my Katana for now, but those are very bass heavy and make anything pumped through them sound muddy really quick and its not representative of what the tone is if i pull the phones out (its almost always better w/o headphones)

Any other ideas are welcome, I am set for strings at the moment.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Looks like a Dunnable

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I have two guitars tuned to D standard coz I want to learn Too Young to Fall In Love.

fake edit: I have been trying to play Outshined too. It's hard.

Part of your problem might be Outshined is in Drop D

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Anyone have any ideas on where to find a guitar pedal board... board with the slats at something resembling a reasonable price? I know I have seen something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625866 out in the wild that isn't as ridiculously expensive. There is no loving way that is worth that much money, and the monoprice board is on the cheaper end of things I've seen. I've been thinking about getting an extendable shoe rack and putting velcro on it. Be less of a waste of money.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

I got a few hundred bucks in credit to guitar center and I’m trying to think of what to blow it on. I’m stocked up on strings. Have a nice new katana 100w mk2. Nice pair of monitors, I’m lacking in maybe a phaser or delay pedal of merrit, also maybe a cheap expression pedal that plugs into the gc-fa switch? I eat pretty clean, it too gasy, could use help cutting the cheese.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

love to see it

this won't win me any friends in this thread, but: electric piano

Already have a piano

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Drum set? Bass guitar + bass guitar amp?

thanks, but I am not looking to add more instruments (or more guitars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Fart