Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Hey guitar thread, greetings from the bass thread!

A few years ago I put some SD phat cat p90s into my '92 Epiphone SG, but now the original pots are starting to give me a few issues and I want to swap them out. What pots would you say go best with P90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think most people go with 300k or 350k, but you could go with 500k if you want them a little tiny bit brighter or split the difference and do 500k for the volume and 250k for the tone. Pots make a very minor difference in the overall tone.

Good to know. In that case, I actually do want a little more top-end sparkle, more similar to a Jazzmaster pickup, so I may snag some 500s. Thanks!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Greetings from the bass thread!

I feel like this is probably the better thread to seek advice... I need to solder in some new pots in a hollowbody bass, and I know that can be a complete pain in the rear end with the absence of a control cavity. Does anyone here have any tried-and-true methods or video tutorials to make it as painless as possible?

At the moment, my plan is to tie some fishing line and labels onto the pots before detaching them, and using either a coat hanger or some extendable magnets I have to fish them out through the F-holes.