Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't know why it took me so long to find this forum, I've been a member since 2004.

I really like the streamliners, looking at getting one eventually. Also the squire classic vibe tele thinline ... and a new acoustic. And a fender hot rod deluxe/deville.

And a drum set. Wish I had never sold mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

landgrabber posted:

yeah it's like, a decent used guitar and a decent used aeron are both like $500-$600.

nervous about it though because I play guitar in my desk chair and hate chair arms (I have a really deep desk and scoot all the way into it to rest my arms on my desk instead)

Same. My super cool mid century desk chair is not comfortable anymore (the seat foam squishes too much) and the metal/wood arms are the reason for the numerous dents in the backside of my guitars.

Maybe when my wife and I finally buy a house next year, I'll finally get a room to put my music gear in and I can have a separate chair that doesn't dent my guitars. I'm also wanting three new guitars and a new amp so I'm going to need that room.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Spent yesterday going around looking at guitars at a few different places. Played through the newest generation of the deville/hot rod deluxe. Played the gretsch streamliners, some of the squier paranormal telecasters and a few player telecasters. Really wanted to try a classic vibe 70s tele thinline but none of the stores had one in. Also played every acoustic over $300 and liked the $750 Martin the most.

I'm looking at used hot rods and deville's now. Those clean and overdriven tones are so good and they'll make great pedal amps. They sounded good with every guitar I played. They had one used deville 2x12 for $500 in great shape.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

landgrabber posted:

I have a DeVille III 2x12 and can confirm it's loving brilliant. I had a 1x12 Deluxe I until recently and I kind of went back and forth on it, but they got rid of all of the poo poo I didn't like with the III and kept all of the poo poo I did. Awesome stuff. Possibly has something to do with the speakers being Celestions.

Yeah I go back and forth on what I really want. The devilles sound great clean but the drive channels of the older models felt a little loose and jangly for my taste compared to the tightness of the new versions, especially the hot rod deluxe. Then again, I'll likely use my ts9 for all my overdrive so maybe I don't need the drive. I think the older 4x10s are more than I need or want, I don't mind a 212 but I might prefer a 112 if I can find it. I'll probably lean towards the hot rod deluxe v3+.

I really wish the "more drive" button had one knob to dial in the gain independently of the drive channel gain dial.

I'll also add either an attentuator/power soak or add a volume box to the effects loop to get cranked amp tones at lower volumes. I need a power soak for my sovtek mig 100 anyway as anything over 1 on the volume knob will rumble my entire city block and break windows. I'm not even sure why it goes to 10. I've plugged it into 2-4x12 cabinets and played outdoors once and 2 drowned out our drummer. I really wish I had picked up a mig50 back when they weren't unobtanium prices. I bought mine new for $300 and seeing as they're tough to find now, I'll never get rid of it, it just sounds too good.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Huxley posted:

2 years into my guitar journey, I've found having options just kills my momentum. I played for a year through a Boss GT-1 and even after the new wore off, I spent more practice time tone chasing and poking around on the thing than actually practicing. And I always thought I sounded lovely.

I think a lot of people go through this period where they focus so much on gear/sound/effects that they stop progressing their actual skills, especially beginners. The thing is, whatever the piece of gear, if it encourages you to play more often ... thats never a bad thing, just be conscious of trying not to mask poor playing with effects. You should use amp tones and effects to highlight your playing, not to mask poor playing.

Effects can be a rabbit hole and while some people can make incredible sounds with them, they can bog others down.

That said, I've been playing for 24 years (holy poo poo) and I'm still not great.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I really like the thin line telecasters I've seen with filter trons but I haven't had a chance to play one. The gretsch streamliners sound great clean and overdriven but I've had issues with them staying in tune which could just be that they're new in store.

I made an appointment at a local store the other day to try a few guitars out. They had the squier 72 vintage modified reissue thinline telecaster with two fender wide range humbuckers. I played it side by side with a fender and it's noticeable but I'm not sure I could justify doubling the price for the subtle differences. For the same price of a Mexican tele, I could get the squier and a used hot rod deluxe. Nice thing is regardless of the guitar you buy, this shop does a full personalized setup with new strings free of charge.

I also tried a lot of acoustics in the last few weeks. Looking at acoustics under $1k. Im not a fan of super warm and dull guitars but I've realized Taylor's are way too bright for my taste despite playing like a dream. I can't find a lot of takamine around me which is a bummer because they always used to be great guitars. Breedlove used to make incredible guitars but most of what I've found were too thin and bright. I've actually been very shocked by the Martin road series. I really liked the gpc11e and a d10e but I did find some quality issues like fret buzz and dead strings between two of the same model.

The guy helping me with the tele brought out a guitar from a brand I wasn't familiar with, removed the price tag and had me play it. It played really well. Looked great. Sounded good and balanced. It was an Eastman for $599. He told me about them, made in China, makes a lot of orchestral instruments and tends to copy martin. Not sure I would pull the trigger on it but it has my attention.

It's funny, Im trying to decide if spending $1800 on two new guitars and a new amp is a good idea but I just paid off my student loans and was used to paying $1200/mo so comparatively it's not that bad. I'll be trading in my schecter acoustic plus some Christmas cash and a gift card I received from work to lessen the blow.

I should probably buy my wife something. I hope she likes telecasters.

Verman fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 19, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I did a thing today.

Squier vintage modified 72 telecaster thinline. I traded my personality-lacking schecter diamond series sw3000 acoustic for a discount on it which made the out the door price less than $300. The store was super friendly and helpful. They're going to do a full setup and new strings free of charge next week.

But then I realized I was now without an acoustic guitar. I've been to most of the stores around Seattle (with open showrooms) in the last few weeks to try all the acoustics in my price range (sub $1000). I ignored visuals and only considered how they played and what they sounded like. I played literally every guitar in my range and even a few above. I was the most impressed by the martins road series for this range, taylors were too bright. I was on my way to make the final decision and buy the Martin.

Then I found this.

A used Breedlove Roots series DSR/H for $800 which looked brand new. Made in Oregon, no fret wear, no buzz, and all the wood looked immaculate. Strings were brand new. It played perfectly. Sounded great, warm and balanced with nice bottom end and not too bright. Exactly what I was looking for. Standard dreadnought and came with a super plush deluxe hardshell case. I had to look up the model to see what it was all about. Sitka top, rosewood sides and back. Mohagany neck, ebony fretboard, abalone details. Seeing what they're going for elsewhere, it felt like a steal. Plus I had a $200 gift card I just received from work this week so that made it easier.

It's a beautiful guitar ... so I brought it home too. My wife laughed when I got home with two. I technically only bought one new guitar since the other was used. I left with one and came back with two so it's like I only bought one.

Also, when researching the telecaster I was looking for demos of people playing it and I came across this video from Fender. The first song is so good and now I'm learning how to play it frame by frame from the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXqO8Q17bF4

Verman fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 20, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol. when I was 16, my dad got me my first "real" guitar for Christmas. We spent the afternoon at Guitar Center and I wound up picking out a gorgeous Breedlove that was like 40% off at $650, I believe. It had to be an end of year or new year sale. Awesome finishing, came with an excellent semi-rigid case, way too loud and bright in hindsight. Breedloves are wonderful and I recommend them to everybody.

Anyway, to get to the point of the story, we're at the counter putting together the sale and my dad's like "is there anything else you need? Picks? Strings? How's your strap?" And I'm like "yeah, one sec. I have to get something"--and I immediately march over across whole the showroom to the wall of electrics, grab the first Lake Placid blue HSS MIM Strat I reach, look it over, grab a second one, look it over, choose one, bring it back to the counter, and proceed to pull out $550 in cash I'd saved up for the better part of the year (this is when they were like $499) saying to the sales guy "yeah, so this one's coming too" and I look at my confused but pleased dad and go "I don't think I have enough money, can I get a gig bag for it?"

And such was Probably My Best Christmas, except in hindsight I didn't give myself the chance to actually try the guitar first (I figured it was a Fender Strat, it was fine) and I would've definitely rather had a single coil Strat if I could do it again, but at the time I was upgrading from a '99 Squier I'd paid $50 from a teacher for and I was blinded by the potential of Babby's First Humbucker.

I made the same mistake with my Danelectro, getting the version with the humbucker in the bridge because "humbucker better, humbucker chunkier, humbucker more versatile" that I feel strips all the character out of the guitar. There's kind of a "generic humbucker sound" that a lot of these H-S variant guitars have, Idk, discuss.

Haha that's funny.

I got a squier standard HSS for my first real guitar for Christmas back in 97/98? I've still got it but I've tinkered with it way back when. At the time, I was playing highschool garage rock and punk type stuff so I didn't appreciate the single coils. The body was already routed HSH so I put a gibson 490r in the neck with plans to put another 490t in the bridge but never got around to it. Added a fender custom shop pearloid pickguard.

The frets need replacing as they're noticeably worn down and notchy, there are some big chips in the paint, the single coil is rusting, all the pots and switch need replacing. It's not even worth selling because the sentimental value is more than I would ever get for it. Who knows, maybe put some filter tron rip offs in it.

I'm debating turning it into a project just to have something to do knowing the cost would never be recouped. Maybe refinish the body from the British racing green to something else, maybe a light blue/surf green, or even a stained natural with a good clear coat on it. Do a completely new pickguard with all new single coils (nothing crazy, maybe just some cheap amazon pickups) a new switch and pots. Might try to find a new neck on craigslist or Amazon. I've thought about trying to refret it myself but I'm no luthier and that might be in over my head. I don't want to sink too much into it otherwise I could just put that cash into a new guitar.

I'm going to play the tele for a while to see how I like it. It sounds a little different from what I expected, the fender wide range humbuckers are softer and warmer than I thought they would be. I'm planning on getting a hot rod deville/deluxe so then it should really shine.

The other guitar I debated was a gretsch streamliner but they're cheap and easy enough to find that I can always pick one up if I ever decide against the telecaster.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 20, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

I swear this is the last time I post about trying to buy a new guitar. I have a functional but rough shape S-type currently. I want a guitar with humbuckers for heavier sounds, but also want a Telecaster because Telecaster. I have a hard ceiling of $400 but would prefer to spend less of possible.

Any reason you're not shopping in store? Even with covid most of the places around me have been open in some way, either fully open or by appointment. I like to buy my guitars in person if possible because Lord knows there can be variances between two of the same model.

But also may I suggest a classic vibe telecaster?

https://reverb.com/item/37731156-sq...4CU8ypJj5HSJtQA

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 21, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Merry Christmas to me

Congrats! I've seen them advertised more often, how do those sound?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

any thoughts about the Gretsch Streamliner? My friend just got one in turquoise and it’s really really pretty

They're very cool guitars. They can sounds great in nearly any genre of music from jazz to country, blues and rock, sound great clean and dirty, and have pretty narrow necks. The hollow body and broad/filtertron style pickups give it a unique gretsch sound. They can usually benefit from a good setup and straightening of the neck out the box but other than that they're great guitars for the price. I'm still set on buying one at some point. They're finished pretty well given their price tag and look fantastic.

I'm partial to the 2622 due to the classic 335 size, the sound and the look of it. The 2655 is cool too but starts to slightly lose the hollow sound but it's still a unique gretsch sound.

I recently played a turquoise one with three humbuckers and split coils giving me almost too many options but it sounded fantastic.

Even though I would prefer a bigsby, you can save some cash by doing without it, and probably tune less often.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

BDA posted:

Gibson had a few bolt-on models in the late 70s/early 80s (Sonex, Marauder, etc.) but other than that virtually all of their models have set necks.

Funny you mention this, I had an 83 sonex with a snapped headstock right at the joint under the nut. It has the smile crack all the way around the backside but not actually separated. Supposedly it was fixed by a tech but I bought it for $200 and it played fine.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I like the PRS, too. I bet the Dean ML gives you an aneurism.

This is just vulgar. Also looks a little :downs: as it's a little too wide.

I always liked PRS but they remind me of mark tremonti and creed thanks to growing up around that time.

I love the music man but it needs to be just a hair larger, it looks too small for a guitar. Same goes for most acoustic breedlove tear shaped headstocks. Seagull as well. There needs to be a balance of body to headstock.

Strat and tele all day long.

Gibson Traditional headstock is perfection. Same with Martin.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 30, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I use a line6 ux1 into my imac (late 2012) which still works fantastic.

Jokes on me, apple isn't supporting my computer anymore with big sur and every day a new app/program stops working and isn't updateable. I can't download garage band and it's only a matter of time before the line 6 stuff stops working.

Also their user interface is hot garbage and I hate that you can't expand the window.

But also I might go check out a fender hot rod deluxe 3 today.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Finally upgrading from my 2004 butterscotch Squier Affinity Tele. Bought it in 2005 and while I had a few basses, I've only had one guitar. Got this in the mail today. Never thought I'd own a Schecter but this hardware is my dream setup and I'm not paying Fender thousands.

Plays loving amazing. Able to move all over the neck so easily. Heavier than the Squier but feels so much better to have hanging on your body. Came with no blemishes or flaws, intonation and action set up perfectly. Just need to stretch strings for Bigsby.

I've never liked schecter guitars which is funny because I owned one for about 15 years albeit an acoustic. I never really liked it so I just traded it in and thought "well that's likely the last schecter I'll ever own."

That tele is the first schecter I've seen that I would own. That's beautiful. Nice score.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pondex posted:

I think that's the whole point. It's in the long rock-tradition of "Awesome, but also stupid".

Hagstroms are good though.

Agreed. I've seen them around over the years and never played them until recently. They sound super cool and they're finished better than I imagined. I would put them on par with the gretsch streamliners they I've played, they sound kind of similar too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Cheap or expensive, learning how to properly setup a guitar will go a long way into making it feel infinitely more playable. Adjusting a truss rod, setting intonation, string height, radius, plus using the right gauge strings ,and smoothing any rough fret ends.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Agreed. Try acoustics in person if possible. Two identical models can vary in quality/sound no matter the manufacturer. I'm less picky about solid body electrics but I can't buy an acoustic sight unseen. There are so many factors and variables in acoustics that can make them play and sound different.

When I was shopping last month, I made an effort to play everything I could get my hands on and disregard the brand, shape, model, or the visual look and just shop by feel and sound. I learned I don't like parlor/concert guitars. They feel good but most sound too thin and delicate for my preference. Jumbo's are great but they're big and I don't see many around. I generally like traditional. dreadnoughts. I love the way Taylors feel but dislike their overly bright sound. I really like most martins that I played but even when I narrowed it down to a specific model, I played three of the same model and there were noticeable difference in feel and sound.

I went back to original store that had the Martin I liked the most when I saw they had a used breedlove roots series dreadnought and fell in love with how it played, sounded and looked. I was always familiar with breedlove but their more recent guitars tend to be smaller concert bodies which play really well, I just wasn't a fan of the thin bright sound of theirs I had played earlier. This was very different. Traditional look and sound and it played like a dream. I went back and forth between the Martin and the breedlove and didn't get the same tingles from the Martin. I even had a shop employee play it so I could see how it sounded from afar.

Long story short, play everything and buy in person if possible.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

CHODEGOD420 posted:

I want to be a blues dad and play in a band in a viagra commercial, how many years?

If you can play G, C, D, A, E, Am, Em, e7, a7, d7 .... you have millions of songs to choose from. You can practically play rhythm guitar on any song from the Eagles which will firmly put you into dad band territory.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

BonHair posted:

Dumb question: on my Chinese Squier (2020), will I need to use inch or metric tools to adjust?

Most likely you will need metric tools.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For tuning apps I've always used gstrings on android. Name makes me laugh, it works, has lots of options and settings and it's free. I've had more accurate tunings from it than my plug in handheld korg tuner. Plus when I go into a guitar store or wherever I don't have to bring a tuner with me.

For home, I like the idea of a pedal but $100-120 for a tuner pedal is money better spent elsewhere. I might buy a clip on just to have around.

Plus let's face it, I really only need so accurate of a tuner to play the same 6 chords over and over again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I would be curious to run my Sovtek Mig100 at full volume. Its scary loud. I dont understand why they would ever even make an amp so loud but its russian so I guess heavy handedness was kind of their thing. Even at outdoor shows it was only ever turned to 2 at most.

Im looking to eventually get a Hot Rod Deluxe because it would be significantly easier to play through at home. I'll never part with my sovtek though. Its too nice of an amp and it would be impossible to replace if I wanted another without spending way more than I ever paid for it.

And this.

BonHair posted:

In every real situation where you need anything that loud, or something actually halfway to your limits, you'll be playing though a PA.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

EL34s put out about 25 watts per tube and they have to run paired, so you're basically limited to multiples of 50 or 100.

Tube amp wattage is (usually) rated by clean headroom anyway so your Mig probably puts out a lot more than that - our engineer says he's worked out our 50 watters probably run closer to 120 peak with the right biasing. I've run 100s flat out a few times just because you've got to try, and it's fun but basically unusable in any actual context; the 50s sound better cranked to me anyway but that's probably a combination of things including speaker breakup (or eardrum...). I've never managed to get close to flatlining a 200 even with ear pro and the 400 models would probably push the cones of even the high output speakers we have in stock through the wall of the warehouse if I tried. I'll save that for when I quit. :)

Thats the reason I always wanted a midget 50. I didn't know they even existed back then or I would have tried going that route. I think I bought the 100 brand new in 1998 for $300 from musicians friend. I remember the UPS guy bitching about how off center the weight is. I think the head is 80lbs and all the weight is on one side. Now Sovteks are tricky to find, pricey, and they often are pretty neglected and in need of work. I might still try to find one eventually.

I was having some issues with bad pots a few years after I bought it, so I had my local store work on it. I remember when they called me to come in and pick it up. I pulled up to the shop and I could hear someone just ripping in the shop from my car in the parking lot. I got out and walked inside, had to cover my ears because the sales guy was going to town . I had never heard my amp like that before. He had it plugged into two marshall 4x12s and holy gently caress it was rattling all the windows. He had a huge smile on his face and was like "holy poo poo man, this is a great amp, I've never seen one in person before". He offered to buy it off me at the time but I refused. He asked me every time I ever went in there if I still had it and wanted to sell it. He told me to call him if I ever wanted to get rid of it and honestly I think I still have his card somewhere.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Something I had to do the other day for work was to make a spoof video of the time life Warner romance albums that used to be on tv infomercials. That required sourcing a lot of cheesy 70s - 90s love songs. I also made a spotify playlist. Not my typical genre of music.

I just let the play list go one day while working and picked up my guitar and played along to whatever came up. It was oddly fun even though that stuff isn't what I would typically play.

Extra fun was finding voicings for my guitar to match the album guitar tones and effects. Sort of a reverse engineer music puzzle. Some of the songs were really boring which I would improv and noodle over, others were actually really engaging and taught me new chords.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Not saying it’s not worth that, but it almost feels like putting expensive wheels on a 1992 Ford Taurus.

You've clearly never seen a Ford Taurus SHO

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Holy poo poo. Nothing like 90% off.

Honest to goodness this would be the only guitar pedal I would choose if I had to choose just one.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ooh that's pretty. Nice case too.

I love having a good case for each of my guitars and want a nice tweed one for my thin line but in all honesty I don't take my guitars out of the house often. At some point I'll buy a gretsch and have 6 guitars and cases to find room for. The case for my breedlove alone is huge.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Snapped some family photos

2018 Classic Vibe

Oh gently caress yeah, tell me more about this thing. I'm guessing you put the filtertron in it yourself? I dont recall squier teles ever having them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have a Squier VM 70s thinline (dual wide range humbuckers) but Ive been hearing more and more filtertron teles and love the sound. I debated picking up a new pickguard/electronics so that I can put some trons in it but I'm also considering just picking up either a gretsch streamliner or electromatic hollow body to scratch that itch.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Keep in mind that the Streamliners either have Broadtrons, which are kinda muddy imo, or Humbuckers with a plastic case pretending to be Filtertrons. Streamliners are still great guitsrs but IIRC you gotta jump up the Electromatic models for real Filtertrons.

Yeah Ive played enough of the streamliners to know the broadtron sound now and they still get you the gretsch sound, just not the full filtertron sound. Ive really been wanting to try the electromatics to see the difference a few hundred dollars gets you.

One of my top guitar moments of last year was going to guitar center after they opened back up to play some gretsch stuff. They had a triple pickup 2627t streamliner in a really beautiful green with the bigsby. I plugged it into a fender hot rod deluxe, found the pickup combo I liked and turned the tone down a bit, had a decent amount of reverb and the tiniest bit of drive and holy poo poo did it sound incredible. You can literally do almost anything you want on one of those things. I was playing some soft shoegaze type stuff, eventually some bluesy things and whatever I have in my shallow repertoire of country/rockabilly type stuff. It all sounded great. I'll be the first to say I'm not great guitarist, I'm a very average intermediate guitarist who loves cowboy chords all day and feel out of my comfort zone leaving the pentatonic zone but I can noodle a little bit. Didn't even matter.

There as a younger woman in there shopping for a first guitar with her guitar-knowing friend. They were looking at the usual strats, les pauls etc. There was the guy shredding over in the corner, someone else thumping away on bass. I plugged into the hot rod and started playing and she turned my way and was like "what guitar is that guy playing? It sounds so beautiful and I love the color!" The guy just shrugged. I think the tag price was something like $550 and she asked me if I could play it for her since she didn't know how to play. I tried a few different pickup combos, more gain and less and this just sounded great no matter what you did with the amp or settings. The guy said "well yeah but this is also a super nice amp" so I plugged into a katana and it still sounded fantastic.

I think she ended up buying the less expensive version without the bigsby and triple pickups for $440 because the sales guy was grabbing a boxed one from the back when I left.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'll admit I was a bit late to the jaguar and jazzmaster liking. Growing up in the late 90s and early 00s, it felt like the trends were leaning towards schecter, ibanez, and the nu-metal scene. Strats, teles and everything else felt like old guy guitars. I was mostly gravitating towards les pauls at the time. I think the first time I saw someone playing one in a music video or something (aside from Nirvana and I was never a fan) was the guy in smashmouth. Its funny how kids form this view based on absolutely nothing.

Fender offsets are just one of those guitar types that eluded me for so long and for no real reason other than my own ignorance but now I love the looks of them but I don't think I've ever actually played one before so maybe I'll head into a shop to try one out. I just need to stay focused because my next guitar purchase will be a gretsch hollow body but not until after we buy a house.

Also Hershey is rear end ... but its bad in the same way taco bell is bad. You know its bad but its okay because its not pretending to be great. Its cheap tasty junk. Even just the difference between a ritter sport or Milka and a hershey bar are night and day. That doesn't mean I won't still inhale a snickers or a reeses peanut butter cup but a ritter sport is divine.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same question and how were the frets? Did they need any leveling or additional work? What did the neck run if you don't mind me asking?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was going to say. Take a break. Playing guitar should be fun, not a job. Come back to it when your enthusiasm returns.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah classical instruments are stupid expensive. My step brother played an upright bass and my parents definitely just rented it. A professional musician friend of mine has a bassoon that cost like stupid money, as much as 20k or more if I recall.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of Gretsch-chat from a few days back- does anybody have a good sense on the differences between the Gretsch Streamliners and their equivalents in the Electromatic series, and the relative value between them?

I’m seeing a lot of comments about build quality and construction differences (mainly putting blocks in Electromatics that are absent in their respective Streamliner siblings, Grover tuners, etc)- and possible differences in sound as a result (Streamliners seem to sound more hollow + resonant, but also possibly feedbacky, vs their pricier brethren), but I’m curious about impressions wrt longevity and durability.

On avg it’s like a $200-400 difference between tiers on various models.

I've been looking at both the streamliner 2622t and the electromatic 5622t. I like the 5422t because it actually has filter trons vs the broad trons of the other two but you're still going to get that gretsch sound out of either of them. That georgia green is beautiful.

It seems like it's mostly finishings. Some have filter trons but mostly they both still share broad trons.

Please buy one so I can live vicariously. I can't buy another guitar for a little while.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Next squier paranormal/classic vibe. Please squier. I know you're listening.

Filter tron and bigsby thinline telecaster. Seafoam, blonde, gold top, orange?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I like the feel of a bigsby more than a Floyd rose or a standard strat tremolo. In a non functional opinion, they look much cooler.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

dew worm posted:

Any thoughts on Concert body acoustics? They don't seem as popular as the Dreadnoughts for some reason. I was all set on a Yamaha dreadnought (FGX800c) but the concert shape FSX800c is starting to seem more appealing.

They are usually quieter and have a different sound, and it will vary from guitarist to guitarist if it suits them.

I find they are often a little shallow sounding and not well rounded on the low end. Most have felt overly bright without the bass to balance it out. They are good for playing at lower volumes but they just don't have the full gamut of tone in my experience. In my mind when I think of "acoustic guitar sound" it's usually a Martin dreadnought that comes to mind.

It's worth going and playing everything you can to see what things sound like in person. I used to own a concert body guitar and going to a standard dreadnought made me enjoy playing acoustic a lot more. It sounds like what I imagine an acoustic should sound like in my head.

I've played a few parlor guitars that I liked quite a bit, but the tone needs to be well balanced for my taste and very few seemed to do that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
With acoustics, go play everything you can afford and even some a little above. Just try everything to see what you like. It might surprise you. I almost bought a classical because I liked the tone but that would entail learning a whole lot of new stuff and I just wanted a traditional acoustic.

Agreed on ovations. They sound okay but playing sitting down is hard because they want to slide off.

Of the cheap to midrange guitars, seagull are always surprisingly good for the price despite my hatred for their tiny headstock. Eastman really surprised me. I wasn't really aware of them but one of the shops nearby carries their acoustics and I was blown away by the tone/finishings for the price. Some of the less expensive breedloves might fit your tastes if you like bright acoustics. Also consider the entry level Taylors. They're always pretty bright. Even the less expensive martins sound great too. Quality acoustics have really become much less expensive.

Look used as well so long as you can play them in person.

Verman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yamaha is one of those brands that I never consider because I never really liked the look of their instruments as a kid and always associated with the music store nearby that focused on highschool matching band instruments and praise/worship/church musicians. They just seemed "uncool" or generic to my teen self if that makes sense. The shop didn't carry any amps other than small Yamaha and gorilla? practice amps IIRC. They had one unknown brand of strings that only came in 9-42s and lasted a week before rusting.

It's a dumb unsubstantiated bias fabricated in my mind. That's why when I bought a new acoustic, I made a point to give everything a chance.

I'm not sure what their distribution channels look like but I also rarely if ever see their guitars around in shops. Drums are different. Ive played and seen their drums around a bit but not their guitars or bases very often.

In terms of brand association, I still tie hartke and peavy amps with redneck moustached dads playing Doobie brothers, deep purple, and foghat tunes in their garage with beer model posters and Budweiser mirrors on the walls because those were my friends dads I grew up with. I feel at home when Im at a dive bar and their PA system is 1980s peavy cabs and wood framed powered mixers.