Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I'm changing my guitar strings for the first time in over a year, and I'm using a set of calipers to measure the gauge of the strings so I don't have to set up the guitars again.

The steel strings are sorted out, but I'm not sure what's going on with my classical. I assumed there were hard tension nylon strings on there, but the measurements don't add up.

E .026
B .030
G .038
D .027
A .034
E .042

Even if my calipers aren't super accurate, these measurements are way closer to light tension than hard tension.

Light: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?productid=209
Hard: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?productid=214

Did I just gently caress up and put light tension strings on there a year ago? Or could there be something else going on here?

I should mention that intonation is a little sharp at the 12th fret. So I guess I'm not happy with the setup as-is anyway. Leaning toward just getting hard tension strings for this thing and seeing what happens to the intonation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

I got a Kurzweil 1200, an 88 key variably weighted keyboard, with state of the 80s art sampling and full midi support for 300 dollars off craigslist. I think pianos are maybe the single best instrument to buy used.

I bought a used digital piano off craigslist too. Yamaha p105. But after I took it home, I learned that it was FILLED with live cockroaches.

I'm sure yours is fine, but it couldn't hurt to put a screwdriver to it and check the inside just in case.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

Did you at least get some footage in black and white for a kickass industrial video?

sadly no

but i definitely have some footage of a madagascar hissing cockroach awkwardly trying to complete a maze

while i go look for it, here's a truly disturbing video showing how madagascar hissing cockroach babbys are formed (not mine). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhOGQINu0lk

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
solid username/post combo

i think a wah pedal just dynamically EQs your signal. wouldn't perfect-pitch types would be more upset by things like wammy bars, which gently caress up your tuning the moment you touch them

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I have one of these, its great: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/cl_guitars/gl/index.html

I think it costs about 100 bux. It fits nicely in a tenor ukulele case, which you can get for like 60 - 70 bux.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
It really helps to live close to somewhere with an active music scene. If there are smaller bands in your area that you really dig, try to catch a show. If they're cool, maybe they'll be down to hang out afterwards. But I hope you like staying out until 2am.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
do you have a band playing your wedding? bring the musicians to you!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i'm real glad i decided to spend money on a proper microphone and audio interface instead of yet another gimmick guitar

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I found a guy on craigslist trying to get rid of a bunch of recording equipment, picked up a sm57 and a huge boom for it for like 50 bux.

My audio interface is this, and I do not recommend it at all: https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/alpha

I should have spent more money on the audio interface. There's bleed between the mic channel and the instrument channel. It gets noisy sometimes and picks up Spanish-language Christian AM radio, and I have to rattle it until it stops.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Yes but how will you sound better without yet another guitar? If you don’t regularly buy new guitars you’ll never sound good.

playing synths instead :smugdog:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

It’s getting hard not to get discouraged and frustrated with my playing. I started in a February and I still can’t switch to G accurately or quickly. I’ve been working on a learning song per my guitar teacher, but forget moving through it with any semblance of fluidity. Even just practicing is pissing me off.

I feel u

Here's one way you can sort out that G chord. "Minute changes"

Set the timer for a minute, and practice going between two different chords. Break down the song into its chord changes, and spend a minute on each one each day. The chords have to sound good, so go slow at first.

Even if the rest of that day's practice is a bust, that couple minutes each day will eventually get you through the changes at tempo.

e: crediting justin for the idea https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Got a question about intonation.

What can I do if my B string is especially sharp up the neck, but the other strings are ok? It's mostly a problem when I'm doing barre chords.

Wondering whether this is something I can fix on my own or if I'm going to need to get it set up.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I should mention that this is a steel string acoustic guitar. I'm wondering if there's something I can do to the existing saddle without taking off the strings, or if I should skip straight to filing off the bottom / shimming it up.

I may end up just taking it to a guitar tech if it's going to be super involved.

e: I have a replacement nut and saddle that I bought a long time ago, but I haven't done this kind of work on an acoustic before

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 16, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
You're right, I definitely have this technique problem with A major shape barre shape. For example, this D major chord sounds bad when I play it:

x

The major 3rd on the B string always comes out sharp when I play this chord shape. When I lightly press the 7th fret, my tuner shows that its in tune.

And when I play this similarly fingered Gmaj7, it sounds good:

x
x

When I lightly press the 12th fret, my tuner shows that its a sharp. That's true for all of my strings.

So it sounds like I have work to do both on my technique and my guitar's set up. Has anyone fixed this technique problem before?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
It actually feels like I'm bending the string downward (i.e., toward the ground). So it seems like I've got 3 things working against me: my guitars intonation, excessive pressure on the string, and some inadvertent string bending. The B string digs into the crease of the distal knuckle on my ring finger, which doesn't feel very good at all. Sounds bad, feels bad -- a loathsome chord. I try to avoid this particular chord shape, and I will usually sub in a Maj7 shape if i can get away with it. This thing:

x

It sounds a LOT better in terms of whether the strings are ringing in tune. But sometimes you really gotta play a major triad, so I still wrestle with that 2nd barre I have to do with my ring finger. I don't want to use the Maj7 as a crutch forever, but the bad sound and the discomfort makes it difficult for me to stay motivated to do battle with this thing.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

The secret nobody tells you is you're meant to let your ring finger just mute the high E, so just get it comfortably laying flat on the 3 strings you're fretting. Shouldn't need to touch the knuckle or the crease (for most people anyway)

I never knew it was ok to mute the E so I learned to do it with my pinky instead

Good point, you usually don't need that extra 5th on top.

I'm trying this, but the D string isn't ringing out very nicely. When I move my finger slightly higher to get that D string ringing again, I'm digging right back into my crease with the B string.

I can avoid the crease by rolling my ring-finger barre toward the nut, like you might be taught to do with the index finger. But I think I'd rather deal with the skin irritation than test my knuckle joints like that.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to do thumb around chords. I can play regular bar chords but some of the finger style stuff I'm trying to learn uses the pinky for embellishment, so they do the thumb over things. But like, man this is really uncomfortable and difficult. I guess that's any time you learn something new on this instrument. My left hand is starting to ache from trying to figure out how to make this work for me.

I mute the low e with my thumb all the time when I do open chords with an a string root. But actually fretting and getting it to sound seems impossible. But I know people do it! So I guess it's just practice.

Are you talking about this kind of thing?

code:
e|-0-0-0-0-|
B|-1-1-1-3-|
G|-2-2-2-2-|
D|-2-2-2-2-|
A|-0-x-x-x-|
E|-x-3-2-1-|
You're not playing a classical or something with a thick neck, right? My thumb doesn't reach on those.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
since you play uke, maybe get a short-scale guitar like a jaguar

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Can you take those springs out? I had a knock-off strat that had the same problem. I threw away the spring and never missed it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
late to the 0-fret chat

Does having a 0 fret make the guitar easier or harder to keep intoned?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I've been really struggling with my fretboard knowledge; I don't know my notes fluently in the upper strings or past the 12 fret; is there any online exercises anyone recommends for that? I feel very limited in my improvisation because I always feel like I have to start on the root, and that I only really know the names of the notes on the lower strings. Before, I taught myself all of my common modes by doing a circle of fourths up and down starting on the root. Maybe I should try different exercises, like starting at the top and going down an octave, or possibly starting on a the 3rd or 7th

Late to the fretboard knowledge chat, but I wanna share how I successfully memorized where all (well most) of the notes are.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redrabbit.android.guitar.guitarfretboardtrainerlite

I used this thing every day on the train into work, and had it mostly memorized in a couple weeks.

If your goal is to improvise, it's also important to memorize where all the intervals are on the fretboard.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redrabbit.android.guitar.guitarintervaltrainerlt

I'm sure you can find other apps that do exactly the same thing, but I know these ones work.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
What do posters here think about carbon fiber guitars? RainSong is the brand I had heard of.

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of this guy's guitars?
https://emeraldguitars.com/product/x30-artisan/?v=7516fd43adaa

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I actually am selling a big stack on reverb since I’m moving; take a look at my stock and if there’s something you’re interested I’ll give you a goon discount. :)

https://reverb.com/shop/jacobs-gear-outlet-207

Reverb takes a cut anyway so if we skip that you can just have whatever they would have gotten.

There’s also a white Squier contemporary strat I have that I’ll be posting on there later tonight if those interested you.

That franken-caster looks pretty hot: https://reverb.com/item/14092182-xgp-partscaster-2017-cream

Do you have a case for this thing? Or a gig bag?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely play the G major as a barre chord and then slide it down to F.

Otherwise, I suggest practicing the difficult chord changes in isolation ("minute changes") until you get faster at them.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing that guitar is way out of tune at the nut?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

If you’d like some suggestions in terms of which tunes start with let me know - there is definitely a useful order of what kind of tunes to learn first since if you know them then you will just start seeing similar progressions in other songs.

What order do you recommend?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

thinking about buying a squier jaguar. is it poo poo?

you've spent the last 61 days (!!) posting in this thread instead of playing electric guitar, COME ON!!!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

feels like longer to me lol

everything's not at the ready yet. i'm still a lil baby, waitin' on my mom to sort some poo poo out before i can make the acquisition

this could be you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsQudFjXXE&t=15s

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Ideally, the shop you buy your guitar from would have a luthier in the back to make sure your instrument is dialed in before you walk out the door. But if you're ordering a new instrument online, then you will likely need to bring it into a shop anyway to get it set up.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please make a 90degree instrument cable your next purchase. That picture gives me anxiety.

cool strap tho

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here use the free garageband auto-drummer to produce tracks?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

There was a small discussion about creative blocks a few pages ago so I'd like to add my very late 2 cents.

For me there are a couple things that have been important to discover in progressing as a musician. One is that most succesful musicians I've known have a kind of blind optimism about them, an ethos that says that even if poo poo sucks right now, its fine. A bad idea can potentially turn into a good one. its just a jam. Everythings on the table as an idea to explore, its all good as long as you're having fun etc. I think this is important to cultivate.

Secondly is the fact that creative work doesn't process linearly. This is a tough pill to swallow because it runs contrary to established notions of 'hard work' - the idea that more work, more time spent = more reward. While this is true for manual labour, or work with a set structure like schoolwork where each brick goes linarly in front of the last it totally fails as a principle more creative stuff.

You might set aside 6 hours to write and expect 6 hours worth of results and find that you've only got 60 seconds of 'good ideas' if that. That 60 seconds may happen at the beginning when you have 'fresh ears' making the additional 6 hours a waste, or it may happen at the end after you're 'warmed up' making the proceeding 6 hours feel like a waste. Who knows. . I had an ex girlfriend who did the "hire an isolated cabin in the woods to really WORK on your songwriting" thing one time and she got burnt out by day 2 and ultimately got very little out of it.

The best way around this is just to catalog, journal and record incessantly, I've found iOS es notes feature extremely useful recently both as a means to note down random song titles or phrases that pop into my head during the day, and also because the voice notes app can export directly to it, so I've always got a recorder that can jot down jam ideas. If you can get into a routine of doing this then you wont always be sitting down to stare at a blank page all the time.

I have tonnes of audio notes that say stuff like "SPLAY 20/3/18 - THIS SUCKS BUT THE LEAD BREAK HAS A NICE WATERY FEEL" or similar and a mood board of little phrases or ideas that could work with it (if the songs feels 'watery' then I might suppose it was a good time to look up if I'd written any random phrases that thematically relate to water in the last few months). As the note suggests that idea is not great, but there was something in it that I liked.

Getting into pop psychology here but I read an article once claiming times of day when your brain is better suited for 'ideas stuff' vs 'editing stuff' vs 'switched off and no productive work will be done' periods. I cant remember when that is exactly so I just try to knock some demo material out before work and see if I still like it in a few days, rather than get too deep into setting aside large blocks of time to finish a particular son, or getting super emotionally overinvested in that particular idea.

One idea that helped me out recently was an "assembly line" approach to making music. I.e., instead of working on a song from start to finish, you might have a dozen songs in progress, and you might spend a day adding a bass part to each one, or you might sequence some drums for each one, or you might record your rhythm guitar part for each one, or lead, or vocals, etc.

The idea is that once you are warmed up and ready to record a specific instrument, it kills the momentum to put that instrument away and work with a different one. So it's better to do what you can in each song with the instrument you're playing right now, knowing you'll come back to it later to finish it up.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Zev posted:

I see. Hopefully it looks OK out of the box. I'll post pictures if anything looks funky. I might even post pictures if everything looks good too!

How much of the JustinGuitar stuff should I go through before getting an instructor? I feel like I need to know enough to be able to gauge the quality of instruction otherwise I'll be doing literally anything i'm told to do.

Justin's stuff is really good. He teaches guitar to students IRL, so he has some insight into common mistakes beginners will make. I suggest going thru all the beginner stuff on his site, and all the intermediate stuff as well.

As for when to get an instructor? Earlier is better. You need to make sure you master the basic stuff, like how to hold the guitar without setting yourself up for a RSI down the road. And if you spend a lot of time practicing the wrong thing, you'll be hosed later on.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlpdfLxSHnE&t=761s

Here's a video of Justin (from justinguitar) getting a lesson with jazz guitarist Mike Outram (from digital campfire). In it, he's saying a good way to get into jazz improv is to try playing Autumn Leaves using ONLY triads on strings 4, 3, and 2. I.e., these things:
code:
              R  3  5
Am:     x  x  7  5  5  x
D:      x  x 12 11 10  x
G:      x  x  5  4  3  x
C:      x  x 10  9  8  x
F#dim:  x  x  4  2  1  x
B:      x  x  9  8  7  x
Em:     x  x  2  0  0  x
And once those are mastered, to move onto 2nd inversion
code:
              5  R  3
Am:     x  x  2  2  1  x
D:      x  x  7  7  7  x
G:      x  x 12 12 12  x
C:      x  x  5  5  5  x
F#dim:  x  x 10 11 10  x
B:      x  x  4  4  4  x
Em:     x  x  9  9  8  x
And once those are mastered, to move onto 1st inversion
code:
              3  5  R
Am:     x  x 10  9 10  x
D:      x  x  4  2  3  x
G:      x  x  9  7  8  x
C:      x  x 14 12 13  x
F#dim:  x  x  7  5  7  x
B:      x  x 13 11 12  x
Em:     x  x  5  4  5  x
I had never heard of this idea before, but I like it. Looking for the thread's reaction. I'm especially curious to hear what Rio thinks.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

The biggest issue with what he is presenting is 1) completely leaving out the 7th and 2) teaching the arpeggios landing on the 5th. Also in his examples he is landing on the root the most, followed by the 5th the next often. The top priority at any level of playing but really for beginners is hearing the 3rd and 7th of any chord. You can hear very often when someone who isn’t a jazz player improvises and they land on the root most often, 5th next often. Even in the melody of this song we hear the melody notes as 3rds and 7th most of the time. I don’t think practicing triads is a waste of time but I do have an issue with what he’s saying as a starting point as a jazz guitarist because he is leaving out 7ths to the point of saying to move on to triad inversions before even utilizing the 7th. Also not mentioning vocabulary *at all* makes me suspect - no one will sound like they’re playing jazz without vocab (or like x style without the corresponding vocab) and all of the jazz vocabulary we hear is often using the 3rd and 7th in some way. Ironically at the end where he is departing a bit from what he was teaching earlier he is using those notes over the changes but doesn’t really mention them earlier when telling people what to practice.

All that said it is hard to come up with what to suggest when someone is starting - there is a lot to learn and jazz improv was traditionally learned by learning other people’s solos. Arpeggios are good for sure. Triads will help you hear the changes. But when it comes to sounding like your playing jazz and training your ear to hear those changes (another issue hear is a complete lack of mentioning the ii V I, which I know seems unrelated but it is a large majority of the song) the 3rd and 7th are inescapable. There is actually a very simple way to find them as well at the beginning - I’ll make a video tomorrow if I can about it. You just have to find the root but not to solo with it, to use it to go down to the 7th and up to the 3rd. That way you know where the root is but use it to find those target notes instead of starting all of your lines with it (like with this arpeggio demonstration). Playing roots is useful for ear training but when it comes to beginning improv, or any level of playing, you will play what you practice and if you put a bunch of time into playing roots then you will improvise that way when playing for real and unlearning things is much harder than taking a route that might seem harder at first but really isn’t and pays off in the long term.

I don’t know the guy, I should mention, so I don’t want to sound like I’m trashing him or anything. He could be a great player, I don’t know. And with jazz education there isn’t any legit time tested method other than playing a lot, working on mastering technique on your instrument and learning people’s solos (traditionally) so there is all lot of throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. There is also a hard distinction between things that will help practically vs. intellectually. But I do think there are ways to start academically that will yield results faster and more reliably after they get in your ear and under your fingers and the sooner someone gets into 3rds and 7ths the better. I’ve had adult students who had played for years who had tried all sorts of poo poo and couldn’t find 3rds and 7ths or hear them so it isn’t a universal teaching recommendation for some reason, but it has become more and more recommended luckily over the years so hopefully after some period of time it will become a standard suggestion for new jazz players.

Most jazz guys will tell you to get into some shell voicings instead of working on triads, so I was surprised too. I suspect he would say "ok now that you have all 3 inversions for the triads, lets add the 7th and learn all 4 inversions of those." Or maybe "now that you have all these triads, lets put different roots over them to build cool slash chords." I guess I would have to pay to find out.

I like chord inversions because I really dig smooth voice leading. On the thinnest 4 strings, I have the 7th chords in root position and 2nd inversion well in hand, and I'm trying to decide where to go next. My 1st and 3rd inversions are only so-so, maybe it makes sense to drill those. Or maybe practice my 2nd inversions on different string-sets. But everyone says to practice shell voicings, which means leaving out the 5th. That precludes the use of the 2nd inversion, right? I confess I haven't spent quality time with my shell chords yet.

I guess my question is: how can I best use (and think about) shell voicings to get at smooth voice leading when comping? Or are they the wrong tool for the job?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Maybe try higher string action?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
phrygian dominant, is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTxGBLlaUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THCne3rXsM

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

So I want to learn classical guitar, which requires that I buy a classical guitar. Problem: I know *nothing* about acoustic guitars. Been playing electric for 17 years (thousands upon thousands of hours), have probably played acoustic guitars for less than an hour.

Budget is around $3-600. Could stretch that a little bit. I'll almost certainly stick with it because I sure do love drilling technique for hours on end, and yay a whole new set of techniques to master.

I went to a store and tried out a few but my main worry is that in a loud music store it's really hard to tell if a guitar will be too loud for apartment playing. I'd go with a silent guitar, but the Yamahas are a little outside of my budget and part of me wants to learn on a *real* instrument. Do they make...mutes?... for classical guitars? I work night shifts usually and I do a lot of practicing after midnight. Really I think I'd be fine with a Cordoba C7 or C9 if the volume isn't too bad.

Any suggestions?

if you're willing to spend the money, get something with a solid top. though keep in mind you can get a very playable classical guitar for like 100 - 200 bux on the used market if you don't mind having a laminate top

And if you're going to spend the money, make sure it has a nice pickup so you can plug in, otherwise you might have a hard time cutting thru the mix when jamming with friends

I suggest getting one with a cutaway.. because you're an electric player i bet you'll miss having access to those frets past the 12th

Think about the different kinds of music you'd like to play too! Will you be playing strictly classical, or would you maybe want to get into some jazz? Maybe you would prefer a gypsy jazz guitar or a flamenco guitar? Those guitars will usually have a spruce top, and many classical guitars have a spruce top too. Spruce gives you a bright sound, but you might prefer the more complex overtone-rich sound of cedar.

My classical is cedar, and I love the sound of it: http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitar_45488_concertcw.html I got it from this guy https://reverb.com/shop/slightlytouchedguitars?make=la-patrie

He fixes and sells guitars that get hosed up by UPS. The one I bought had a crack in the side, so I got it for like 400 instead of 650.

There's only one classical on there right now with a cutaway that's in your budget... but i would give it a miss because the damage is to the top, and thats where I would draw the line. But he posts new listings all the time, so maybe you can get something nicer than you would usually be able to afford

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
regarding apartment worries: i dont think you'll find a ton of variation in how loud all the classical guitars are. i feel like you won't really hear it thru a wall, and you would only hear it a little bit thru a closed door

i guess if you're playing at 4am you might look at something like this https://reverb.com/item/19358256-godin-multiac-nylon-encore-natural-sg-demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
pls dont play guitar in a way that causes pain. but im excited for you, playing without a pick is fun

for the best sound (imo) you're going to need to grow out your nails on your right hand. not too much, but some. and they'll need to be strong, so eat oatmeal (it helps)

you cant just grow your nails out out and call it good tho. you gotta file them down to round out the corners, then experiment with different shapes to get the best tone. everyones hands are different, but start with the suggestions here

https://medium.com/tonebase/fingernail-basics-for-classical-guitarists-length-shape-and-tools-tonebase-609af431e54d