Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just wanted to pop in here for my first question as a beginner, of which I will try to keep to a minimum! After 20 or so years of wanting to learn to play guitar I finally picked up a Yamaha FG700S last week and have been working my way through Justinguitar. I am finding his lessons to be fantastic and very accessible for a new player. I'm already up to ~30 D/A one-minute changes and finding the routines to be productive.

Someone in the PYF Purchases thread had recommended that I get my guitar set up at a local shop as being new out of the box they're not quite ready for use. I didn't want to derail the conversation in there so just had some follow-up questions to make sure that I am being prudent/informed with getting this done.

- What exactly should I expect them to perform on the guitar. What should I make sure is done in order to get value out of the service?

- The local shop recommended to me (Ann Arbor Guitars) charges $85 for the service and $9 for a set of strings. Is this fair? Seems reasonable to me, but am uneducated so don't know better.

- When I receive the guitar back, what should I expect from having it set up. It seems odd that guitars are sold in need of initial set up, so am just cautious as whether this is more targeted to someone who would appreciate it being set up or if it absolutely necessary and everyone should budget for it prior to purchasing?

- Not a question, but jesus christ the fingers on my left hand hurt so bad that I can't use them on my tablet without sensations of burning. Also a big gently caress you goes out to the E chord on that first fret. I can never get my first finger to push down hard enough on first changing chords to it to not receive a loud unharmonic flum. Practice practice practice....

Thanks in advance! I'm enjoying the hell out of this so far and am excited to dive deeper and deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm glad I'm going to get this done as well as it sounds like the price is at least in the ballpark. Sounds like it's similar to cycling where without a proper fit you are hindering yourself and potentially opening up to injury/unnecessary soreness.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Newbie question: anything specific I should be looking for in an acoustic case or just get whatever looks nice to me? Just looking to give some protection to the new guitar as the luthier was mortified when I walked in to their shop in 0 degree weather without a case. I won't be transporting it much so no need to optimize for that if it's a thing.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RagingHematoma posted:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GBEDread

I have this one. Super cheap and gets the job done since I do not take my guitar out too much.

Thanks, looking more for a hardcase though. I have little kids and would appreciate having a little extra protection for the random 'bump' factor that could occur. I stow it away from them, but they're relentless and clever. Looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HC-AG1...asin=B004I6ZGWO

While I'm acquiring the basics, are there any differences in Capos that I should be concerned with or just pick up any old basic one?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Well, I'm a pretty bare newbie here but this just cemented my desire to learn classical guitar. Will be a long long road though, just amazing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hello goons! I picked up a cheap electric guitar for my seven year old for Christmas (well aware that it'll likely be bad and if he likes it will get him some proper equipment) and need to get him some lessons. I have no idea on what would be a reasonable rate to pay (Midwest) and can tell that going to Guitar Center would be a bad idea based on googling. What recommendations can you guys offer on where to look for instructors and roughly what's a fair rate to pay? What should I look for in the way that they approach it (aside from having fun?). Google isn't helping me much for my area and a bit leery of CL and my seven year old getting together.

Appreciate any insight, want to get him some base skills so he can start running off on his own and having a blast.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

This is less a question for guitar nerds and more one for parents: at his age general thoughts on extracurricular activities and goal setting are more important than the specifics being taught by a given person IMO

Totally fair point. Meant more of what bullshit landlines are out there in the guitar community to avoid wasting our time on. In every extra curricular activity my kids are involved in there are always those that find a way to waste your time under the pretense of accomplishing what you want.

Was hoping other parents had specific positive or negative experiences to share but it's entirely possible that getting the instrument in his hand with a purpose having fun will be sufficient to engage him. He's already shredding with no idea of what he's doing and loving it. Although I make him put headphones on because goddamned.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you play guitar?

I bought an acoustic late last year and can do happy birthday, poorly. I need some lessons and/or to commit some time for myself. Definitely don't know enough to teach him the right way to do anything.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

When you do lessons, have him tag along. Make it a team thing. However, let him think he's better than you, it might help with motivation.

I like this advice and right up his alley.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm following Justin Guitar's course so the A chord.

Nice man, I'm newish as well. Started on Justin guitar but struggled to keep the songs in my head and felt monotonous just strumming A for six bars. Switched to Center Stage Academy and that's been cool since he starts off with single notes and you're playing dumb songs that sound like songs.

Just got my son some guitar lessons and he's learning Ironman at 7 so naturally I'm cheating off of his tab to learn.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I do want to get some in person lessons to point out any dumb poo poo or misinterpretations that I'm doing. I'm all about self learning but if I am putting my hand in a weird place right from the onset for example it'll sow some early bad habits and frustration.

Is there a goon consensus on the best place to get started? Single note songs or chords/rhythm? I have an acoustic as well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm new to learning guitar, despite having an acoustic for a few years. Been using Yousician lately and am finding it's working well for me, giving enough structure and feedback to keep plowing forward so that I'm practicing a good amount each day. I'm getting noticeably better for the first time and it's a blast!

I have a high degree of confidence that the answer to my question is going to be along the lines of 'stick with it, put in the hours and you'll get there' but wanted to see if there were any tips or advice to help shortcut something as its quite frustrating.

When taking the lead track in Yousician, I'm struggling with some of the moderately advanced (worked my way down to ~level 4) changes between strings and I am finding myself strumming or fretting the wrong string which then throws my whole pace off and have to reorient. Without having to stare at my strings (which I imagine is not a good habit to get into, learn to feel the shapes) what can I do to get better awareness of the subtle location differences between the strings.

Appreciate any insights! Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks! I'll start with that routine. I imagine the same ideas apply to fretting. Many times I strum the right string but look up and low & behold I'm up or down a string but on the right fret.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MMania posted:

Is there a recommended store to bring a 9 year old to see if he has a preference between acoustic/electric, if steel strings feel too hard, etc? I live north of Boston if there are any non-chain stores that anyone knows of that have smaller guitars. Really want him to have some input, even if I have to go online to get a certain color. I don't want to just hand him something I chose.

Sorry if this was discussed before or seems like an obvious thing, I just started a month ago and I don't have any guitar friends.

In a similar vein, are 3/4 guitars preferable to give to a kid rather than the cheap kid-style guitars?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lumpy posted:

Going off my sample size of one (she's currently 10), a 3/4 scale is a much better way to go than "kid-style". For a toddler / under 6, go kid-style with the explicit understanding that it's a toy that makes noise..

We have a cheapo electric that my now-10 year old has that he got around 7-8 years old. Won't hold a tune to save its life. Think it's time to upgrade as he's getting interested in it again as he's seeing me bumble my way to mediocrity.

A cousin gave him a mini-Acoustic (also kids) that is even worse and it's just hard to watch him struggle with it.

Was eyeing this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009J580/?coliid=I3C0K87OPMMY&colid=2OBTHXBBND58Q&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So from what I'm reading a Squier telecaster is the way to go for a first electric guitar? I've got a Yamaha acoustic that I've been learning on but as I find myself more attracted playing lead I'm starting to lust for an electric to play with. I'm still really poo poo all around but I'd like to be really poo poo with an electric too.

I see several Squier telecasters that range from $200-400. Is there different levels of them I should be aware of? Looking to get something to bang on for a while until I know what good is and not break the bank.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

landgrabber posted:

i hope you become the new me and torment this thread for like 4 months asking what guitar to get.

get a squier tele if you like teles. don't get anything affinity, stay with standard ($250 for the standard tele, as well as the standard strat if that's your bag) or above and you'll be good. don't destroy your brain by listening to youtube demos, because they're all poo poo. go find a guitar store and strum A/D/E chords on stuff until you find a body you like, then get the squier version of it.

Guess I'm dumb and don't know the difference between telecasters and strats and such. I'll look that up and run with it. What you described in the store is definitely more my speed. I won't belabor the process too much, just convince the wife to let me get another new toy. Always seems to happen around her birthday too, awkward timing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks, will fiddle with some in the store. I'm sure one will stand out. Always wanted a strat though, but that's from an uneducated POV.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

In guitar years I'm definitely a baby but a RL dad with three kids approaching mid life crisis time.

My dumb question. Is there a fret on the neck that repeats the chords from the first? If I move down the neck is there a spot where the chords are identical as I'm doing from the first fret? This is without a capo. My gut tells me that there is likely a spot that the lengths of the strings wrap back around to create the same notes but at higher octaves.

I think I'm asking that clearly, but let me know if I'm not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nice! Thanks. Now I'm up late and can't sleep because I'm thinking of guitars and stuff. Should've waited until morning to post.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

landgrabber posted:

ok i have created goontar center. i will add more things by popular demand https://discord.gg/TrGkKG

Keeps saying invite invalid or expired.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm in! Had to figure out how these new fangled Web 3.0 things work. Used to idling in IRC for months.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lumpy posted:

Great, now half the future content of thread will get posted somewhere else and I'll miss out on it. :smith:

:justpost:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Check out the free trial of Yousician, that'll get you started learning in a good environment where you get feedback.

I just bought Rocksmith last night and am freaking amazed at it. I haven't checked out it's teaching section yet, but as I have some of the fundamentals under my belt I felt comfortable just starting to jam one slow note at a time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Don't forget to join the Discord! The Guitar goons in there love inane questions from newbies, I speak from experience being one.

Someone else will need to post the link since I'm not a millennial and don't know how.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

It's worth running through the teaching stuff, if only because it shows you what their dang notation means. They have little pieces of music to learn too so it's all good

I absolutely plan to, but after waiting for it to install it was pretty late so just wanted to get a feel for it. Between Yousician and Rocksmith I can see it pretty easy to get competent quickly. I paid for the full year of Yousician (as I don't have an electric and didn't know about the mic mode) and in two months do feel as if I got my money's worth for what that's worth. But it's lack of actual popular songs is its drawback.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you avoid pain at all costs and pay attention to the technique of good players + check your own form and have others check it routinely in videos then you’re 90% there.

Shame yourself by posting videos in the discord of yourself playing like I do!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

X-posting from the PYF Purchases thread, but thought I should share here. After much guidance from the guitargoons on the Discord...

Been wanting an electric for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger when this baby became available for Preorder. The finish has sung its siren song and lulled me in. Plus a sweet amp to go with it.

Link

Link

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Excellent stav. When is it gonna ship?

They're receiving them October 18th, assuming I got in early enough it'll ship out a few days after that. If not, couple weeks into November.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

landgrabber posted:

october 17th folks

it's happening

Mines coming about a week after that :3:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

its curtains for Kevin posted:

It's good for newbies. It might still be on sale on Steam.

As a newbie, it's really helping me connect with songs and get a feel for the basics. When I first started I was doing Justin Guitar videos, but as awesome as he is, I never felt connected to any of the strumming D four times, A four times, etc. Rocksmith lets you take all of those lessons and apply them in a song that you know (and hopefully love). I'm coming up the curve much faster since I got RS a few weeks ago on sale.

Plus, with custom DLCs that you can download from Customs Forge (not :filez:) you can get nearly any song that you want! I'm hooked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Zev posted:

Sounds cool. How many of the levels did you go through before you started using it? Where did you get the special cable?

Not sure what you mean by levels, I have been 'learning' for 2.5 years but only in the past 4 months have I been making any serious progress. Still a bumbling idiot with the guitar. I spent the last few months on Yousician, which is similar, but without actual songs. I think that is a better platform to teach but RS is much more fun.

I ordered it on Amazon, but am using an Acoustic right now with my cheap rear end webcam microphone. My electric won't arrive until later this month. Just make sure you crank the microphone volume up to more clearly recognize your chords! I couldn't get it to recognize a perfect E chord until I did that and now I'm cruising with minimal problems.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Zev posted:

I meant the Justin Guitar levels. It sounds like it could be a good tool.

I don't remember them being that formal, probably should give JG another look!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Holy crap, I'm using the same strings on my acoustic from when I got it nearly three years ago. Granted, I haven't played it a TON over that time. Most of the time it has sat idle but I've definitely got a hundred or two hours on it.

I should get new strings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Had to cancel the beautiful Translucent Blue VM since it kept getting delayed so ordered the CV this week.

Updated family photo:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

skooma512 posted:

What's the model of the acoustic? I have an FG-340 from the early 80s.

Seriously jonesing for a Tele. I know that's mostly going to sound the same as my Pacifica, and I'm a newbie who sucks, but I just love how they look.

I wonder if I would be hard done doing a nicer Squier or holding out for a used MIM Fender.

It's an FG700S. I've liked it quite a bit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations of Youtube videos that can assist in kids (age 10) to learn to play Guitar? I'm still learning myself, and my son wants to play with me but I'm still such a newb and dope I don't know what we can do with eachother. I'd like to sit with him and have a video guide through some lessons as him just pulling them up on his own isn't really working for him.

Any ideas? I don't just want to throw him at a teacher as I want to share this journey with him, but am very ill equipped to teach myself. But can help him interpret what another is teaching.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm working through Justin's stuff myself, just not sure how well my kid would engage with him. I would've thought there'd be something more targeted toward the young'ns.

I'll give it a go though!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

just fire up the ol final cut pro and replace justin with peppa pig

He's 10, would be better to superimpose a Fortnite avatar flossing on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

What is your av TraderStav? I love the loop.

Maradona at the Argentina / Nigeria match.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6635447/diego-maradona-cocaine-wine-binge-argentina-world-cup-2018/

That link is worth the full read.

While he was going on his binge a fan said that line to him in Spanish.