Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1827 »
Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

Muldoon

The Ultimate Ganster story where hese given a small celly and gets a rash from a wool shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CrazySalamander posted:

The definition of white changes over the years- for example people of Irish descent were not originally considered white.

Whoa that's a new one on me. I knew they were terribly oppressed along with Italians and others. I lived in Boston for a few years and picked up a lot about that, but yeah, not white? Got a good link about that?

Busy Bee posted:

I bought a monitor stand recently and the back mount does not fit perfectly with the back of my monitor.

https://imgur.com/a/HXEms1W

A good pair of tinsnips could make short work of that, or maybe even good (like pro linesman quality) wirecutters.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Whoa that's a new one on me. I knew they were terribly oppressed along with Italians and others. I lived in Boston for a few years and picked up a lot about that, but yeah, not white? Got a good link about that?

It's not really true, or at least it depends on a particular definition of whiteness. Book here: "How the Irish Became White" and discussion of contemporaneous laws here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...jews-and-so-on/

...otherwise it would have been literally illegal for Irish to have married British Americans...

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

AlbieQuirky posted:

It’s a short story called The Man Without a Country, by Edward Everett Hale. It is entirely fictional.

Thanks! I'd forgotten it was fiction, so that explains why I couldn't find it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 25, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Someone explained to me the whole non-hispanic checkbox thing we have in the US at one point in a way that didn't sound insane, but I forgot wtf it was so it still sounds insane. There was some weird, but super utilitarian reason behind it but there is no way it wasn't probably dumb and racist.

well part of it is that there are hispanic people of all races (black hispanics mainly from the caribbean, white hispanics from all over depending on when their ancestors arrived to start killing natives, asian hispanics, etc), and the societal conditions for two people of the same race where one is hispanic and one isn't might be different, so it's useful to know, even if only to know that this group of people of whatever race will need government services in spanish

they do let you check multiple race boxes (I check white and asian) so they could add hispanic there but I think the view is that "hispanic" is a linguistic classification rather than a racial one, although if you live in let's say texas the vast majority of hispanic people you know are going to be mexican so that will make you automatically think hispanic = brown

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

although if you live in let's say texas the vast majority of hispanic people you know are going to be mexican so that will make you automatically think hispanic = brown

not only are there hispanic people of all races, there are also mexican people of all races. it's a nationality not a race, there are white mexicans and black mexicans and asian mexicans, but a majority of those who emigrate to the us are of mixed native american descent. there are also many hispanic people in the southwestern states who are native american, spanish speakers, have spanish surnames, and who's families come from the us, not mexico. this comes from spanish colonization and the mission system.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 31, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Plenty of hispanic people don’t speak Spanish.

It’s also possible to speak Spanish as a first language without identifying as hispanic.

The census form doesn’t ask about language, but the American Community Survey administered by the Census Bureau does.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Badger of Basra posted:

well part of it is that there are hispanic people of all races (black hispanics mainly from the caribbean, white hispanics from all over depending on when their ancestors arrived to start killing natives, asian hispanics, etc), and the societal conditions for two people of the same race where one is hispanic and one isn't might be different, so it's useful to know, even if only to know that this group of people of whatever race will need government services in spanish

they do let you check multiple race boxes (I check white and asian) so they could add hispanic there but I think the view is that "hispanic" is a linguistic classification rather than a racial one, although if you live in let's say texas the vast majority of hispanic people you know are going to be mexican so that will make you automatically think hispanic = brown

Race isn't a thing. That "black hispanics" are "black" is completely arbitrary, they're only "the same race" because some racist in the 1700s decided so

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I HAD ANOTHER RED TEXT THAT DIDN'T ACCURATELY DESCRIBE JUST HOW DUMB I WAS

IGNORE ME

STOP REPLYING ME, DO NOT ENGAGE ME

I HAVE DUMB OPINIONS AND LOVE A RACIST ORANGE BABY

Back in the day, I used to make animated videos using Macromedia Flash, which had a super idiotproof frame by frame system for drawing and animating videos. Is there a modern day equivalent to that?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

Yellow Pearl, Blue Pearl, Pink Pearl

Boba Pearl.

Bioshuffle posted:

Back in the day, I used to make animated videos using Macromedia Flash, which had a super idiotproof frame by frame system for drawing and animating videos. Is there a modern day equivalent to that?

Pirate Adobe Animate.

Badger of Basra
Jul 25, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Race isn't a thing. That "black hispanics" are "black" is completely arbitrary, they're only "the same race" because some racist in the 1700s decided so

sure but if we're talking about filling out forms that ask you about it, seems relevant to talk about it

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Over the past few months since lockdown I've tried following various Youtube workout programmes, and have only recently discovered that "the burn" does not mean a motivational, spirited energy, but some sort of ache or uncomfortable feeling in a muscle. I have never felt this feeling, and I believe it to be an important thing in improving one's body, and now I am completely demotivated because I don't know how to experience this feeling.

I am not a fit person, so it cannot be that these workouts (I've mostly been following Chloe Ting, but others too, usually along the same vein) are too easy for me. Additionally, I have experienced exhaustion to the point of sickness, especially when I had just started. While googling this issue, almost every result told me I was not working hard enough, but I often struggle to complete a session, especially if it's an hour-long thing.

A friend told me that I should strain to tighten the relevant muscle while working out, so I tried this, waited a day, and still did not feel the burn. Recently I went on a bike ride with my brother-in-law who was also aware of my problem- after a steep bank he asked me if I had felt the burn, because he did, but though he is significantly fitter than me, and I was gasping for breath while he was relatively fine, I did not feel a burn.

I haven't made any effort to change my diet because I believe that I eat fairly cleanly; I eat meat 2-3 times a week, rarely snack except for on apples and satsumas, rarely eat cheese (maybe once a week), and cook all of my evening meals using fresh ingredients.

Maybe this is an e/n post in disguise, but I find it terribly frustrating and upsetting that I've spent so much time doing the wrong thing, and now I'm upset because I've completely stopped working out, and whenever I try to get back into it, all I can think about is this lack of feeling, and then I usually quickly give up. I have no idea what I'm not doing that everyone else is apparently doing with such ease that I seem to be the only person on the internet with this problem. Goons, please tell me how I can feel a burn so that I can get over this!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Postin in the springtime

I am fairly fit and I wouldn't say I ever feel "the burn" during a workout, but I do feel delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMS after a good lifting sesh (I do not get DOMS after things like biking although i imagine you could if your biking muscles are really new). However I think you only really get DOMS if you push real hard, like lifting weight that is a significant challenge for you to lift 5 times. This is kind of hard to do at home with bodyweight-only exercises. So it's possible you are getting decent workouts without getting DOMS.

idk honestly ask in YLLS, they are good with workout type things.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Chatrapati posted:

Over the past few months since lockdown I've tried following various Youtube workout programmes, and have only recently discovered that "the burn" does not mean a motivational, spirited energy, but some sort of ache or uncomfortable feeling in a muscle. I have never felt this feeling, and I believe it to be an important thing in improving one's body, and now I am completely demotivated because I don't know how to experience this feeling.

I am not a fit person, so it cannot be that these workouts (I've mostly been following Chloe Ting, but others too, usually along the same vein) are too easy for me. Additionally, I have experienced exhaustion to the point of sickness, especially when I had just started. While googling this issue, almost every result told me I was not working hard enough, but I often struggle to complete a session, especially if it's an hour-long thing.

A friend told me that I should strain to tighten the relevant muscle while working out, so I tried this, waited a day, and still did not feel the burn. Recently I went on a bike ride with my brother-in-law who was also aware of my problem- after a steep bank he asked me if I had felt the burn, because he did, but though he is significantly fitter than me, and I was gasping for breath while he was relatively fine, I did not feel a burn.

I haven't made any effort to change my diet because I believe that I eat fairly cleanly; I eat meat 2-3 times a week, rarely snack except for on apples and satsumas, rarely eat cheese (maybe once a week), and cook all of my evening meals using fresh ingredients.

Maybe this is an e/n post in disguise, but I find it terribly frustrating and upsetting that I've spent so much time doing the wrong thing, and now I'm upset because I've completely stopped working out, and whenever I try to get back into it, all I can think about is this lack of feeling, and then I usually quickly give up. I have no idea what I'm not doing that everyone else is apparently doing with such ease that I seem to be the only person on the internet with this problem. Goons, please tell me how I can feel a burn so that I can get over this!

How your body feels in response to exercise is a very personal thing and varies depending on your level of fitness, but if you're getting to exhaustion then you're probably Feeling The Burn™, though it may be masked by other feelings of miserableness. If you want to try to isolate the feeling, then sit down and relax, pick a muscle and clench it as tight as you can until you want to stop then keep on going: it's that feeling of the muscle getting tired and begging you to stop that is generally the sensation people talk about. But in general exercise, since you're new it may be that other parts of you (like your cardio fitness) are stopping you before you can push your muscles beyond that point.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

alnilam posted:

I am fairly fit and I wouldn't say I ever feel "the burn" during a workout, but I do feel delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMS after a good lifting sesh (I do not get DOMS after things like biking although i imagine you could if your biking muscles are really new). However I think you only really get DOMS if you push real hard, like lifting weight that is a significant challenge for you to lift 5 times. This is kind of hard to do at home with bodyweight-only exercises. So it's possible you are getting decent workouts without getting DOMS.

idk honestly ask in YLLS, they are good with workout type things.

You're right, I should have asked in YLLS; I thought it was just a fashion forum! Finding the right place to post on SA is tricky because it is so large. I never thought about the biking thing, I cycle more often than my brother-in-law (just for transport, not exercise) even though he's fitter than me, so perhaps that's why he felt the burn but did not feel as tired.

dupersaurus posted:

How your body feels in response to exercise is a very personal thing and varies depending on your level of fitness, but if you're getting to exhaustion then you're probably Feeling The Burn™, though it may be masked by other feelings of miserableness. If you want to try to isolate the feeling, then sit down and relax, pick a muscle and clench it as tight as you can until you want to stop then keep on going: it's that feeling of the muscle getting tired and begging you to stop that is generally the sensation people talk about. But in general exercise, since you're new it may be that other parts of you (like your cardio fitness) are stopping you before you can push your muscles beyond that point.

I think this might be the advice I wanted to hear. Hopefully it is my lack of cardio fitness which is preventing me from experiencing this feeling, I suspect I am unfit in that area as I quickly run out of breath when I exert myself, and once I am finished with a youtube exercise routine I usually collapse on the floor. I don't quite understand how having a more functional cardiovascular system would enable me to push muscles beyond a certain point, but I can appreciate that it is probably true. I'll work on this for a couple of months before returning to youtube tutorials again, and if I still manage to fail I'll post in YLLS about it.

Cheers guys

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

YLLS is the right spot to check.

I don’t know what sort of video exercises you are doing, but you would probably benefit from a workout partner to make sure you are doing the exercises with proper form. It’s easy to unwittingly “cheat” exercises, so you don’t get much out of them apart from some light cardio. Doing push-ups without keeping the back straight and parallel to the ground is a classic example of this. Much easier! Less exercise! It can be hard to notice this without a partner (or mirror) to spot.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

If French Guiana is fully integrated into the French state and has, as far as I can tell, the same status as any department in Metropolitan France, why does it seem to be labeled like a different country on maps, or at best labeled “French Guiana (France)” whereas Alaska and Hawaii are often labeled “U.S.A”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Cartographers are nothing if not militantly inconsistent.

«1827 »