Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ohemgee so you did! :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I’m trying to improve my skill at cribbage and I think I’m at the limit of where I can get just by playing over and over again on my phone, even against a “perfect” AI opponent.

Most of the advice and guides I find online are pretty basic, like “don’t lead with a 5” and “runs are better than pairs” which aren’t that useful to me.

Is there a good intermediate/advanced guide people recommend for improving play? Would this be a better question for the TG Board Games thread?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Why are some of my bookmark threads in the Awful App purple now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AlbieQuirky posted:

I would buy old ones on eBay.

I took this advice and found a lot of cool jabo marbles with swirls and bought it. Thanks.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

I’m trying to improve my skill at cribbage and I think I’m at the limit of where I can get just by playing over and over again on my phone, even against a “perfect” AI opponent.

Most of the advice and guides I find online are pretty basic, like “don’t lead with a 5” and “runs are better than pairs” which aren’t that useful to me.

Is there a good intermediate/advanced guide people recommend for improving play? Would this be a better question for the TG Board Games thread?
How trustworthy do you consider whatever app you're using to be? Hitting 29 hands twice sounds suspiciously high for only 3300 games, it's possible it's not an entirely fair game.

Can you track your average score from pegging, hands, and cribs? I suspect that would be telling - if you're averaging lower points from crib than opponent that'd be a clue what to adjust, etc. My general crib advice is to focus most on pegging, since I think that has the biggest difference in player skill.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Unfortunately the program doesn’t give me a running average for hand/peg, only at the end of that specific game.

Those are my two 29-point hands; I don’t recall the computer ever getting one. If memory serves a I’ve had two 28s as well.

Alternatively, is there a mobile cribbage game that would be recommended over “Cribbage Pro”?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

StrixNebulosa posted:

I took this advice and found a lot of cool jabo marbles with swirls and bought it. Thanks.

Yay! Old marbles really are fantastic. The amount of care they put into making them is amazing.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Let’s say you throw up a bit in your mouth. Just a thimbleful. Do you swallow it, or spit it out? Just curious because someone was disgusted by the idea of swallowing and I’m just like “eh, back whence you came”.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 5, 2020

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Okay, so, weight benches already have those little arms where you can put the weight when you're done, why don't they have a second, lower set down at neck level, to catch the weight if the guy working out drops it, so he doesn't asphyxiate if he's alone?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Probably because it would mean a more expensive rack that also opens the manufacturer up to potential lawsuits when someone screws up and hurts themselves because they were pushing to exhaustion because they got complacent with the safety measure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
They exist. Search “weight bench spotter arms” or “spotter stand”.

Some get creative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVcugxNtMH4

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ehh, then they would need extra shelves in different spots in case somebody managed to drop a bar on their face or chest as well. Or some other goofy mistake. I think the easiest solution would be to attach the weights to some kind of fixed structure so they could only travel in one direction.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, so, weight benches already have those little arms where you can put the weight when you're done, why don't they have a second, lower set down at neck level, to catch the weight if the guy working out drops it, so he doesn't asphyxiate if he's alone?

The rack?

Are you talking about a safety bar/catch? Because, uh, they do.

The reason you almost never see them is because overdoing it with a weight isn’t really as dangerous as immediately dropping it on your throat. You usually fail onto your sternum area (like the bar doesn’t get lowered onto your throat wtf). And when you’re failing, you don’t just lose the ability to bear any weight, you just only produce like 95% of the force needed to move the bar. So it sits on your chest where the bar can be safely plucked by someone nearby or unloaded by tilting the weights off one of the sides. This is also why you don’t bench with collars that prevent the weight from sliding off*.

Those catches also gently caress with lifters who aren’t the ideal size. So if my wife and I both want to use the same bench, it’ll be a problem for one of us, or ineffective as a safety mechanism for both of us (too high for her, too low for me). If a lifter knows they’re going to be needing some kind of safety catch, they can also just use a power cage where the height of the catches and rack can be changed to suit the lifter.

*this doesn’t apply if you’re pressing such huge numbers that the bar bend requires collars. But if you’re doing that, you have spotters and poo poo.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

tuyop posted:

The rack?

Are you talking about a safety bar/catch? Because, uh, they do.

Okay, see, I was Googling, but not using the right words to get "safety catch" (I do not work out much). Good to know, I was just curious if anyone had thought about it, since all you ever see when people benchpress in pop culture is how they end up nearly dying when it drops right on their chest/neck, and it seemed like an easily preventable hazard, but I can see how the geometry of it could be difficult to get right.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Let’s say you through up a bit in your mouth. Just a thimbleful. Do you swallow it, or spit it out? Just curious because someone was disgusted by the idea of swallowing and I’m just like “eh, back whence you came”.

hmm well it would depend how it tastes now wouldn't it

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Say you're living in Vienna in the late 1960s and want to make an international call to Dublin. How would you go about it? How expensive would it be? I'm guessing you couldn't do it from your house.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Karenina posted:

Say you're living in Vienna in the late 1960s and want to make an international call to Dublin. How would you go about it? How expensive would it be? I'm guessing you couldn't do it from your house.

In the US, international phone calling from home wasn't available widespread until the 70s I believe, so it would be unlikely for the two cities you mentioned in the 60s. The way to make a phone call if you had to is to call from a hotel that has international calling to another hotel. The price would be very high, say 50 dollars for a 3 minute call in 2020 money (just guessing, but I'm sure I'm within an order of magnitude).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know where I can buy this kind of rail? I know it is called "E" rail because of it's shape but I can't find anything like it online. I was going to try using it to replicate an ikea hack to add sliding doors to the besta unit.

edit: all I could find is this thing but it's just cheap plastic https://www.homedepot.com/p/Knape-Vogt-2417-Series-72-in-White-Plastic-Door-Track-Assembly-P2417-WH-72/301011405

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 5, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know where I can buy this kind of rail? I know it is called "E" rail because of it's shape but I can't find anything like it online. I was going to try using it to replicate an ikea hack to add sliding doors to the besta unit.

edit: all I could find is this thing but it's just cheap plastic https://www.homedepot.com/p/Knape-Vogt-2417-Series-72-in-White-Plastic-Door-Track-Assembly-P2417-WH-72/301011405

I googled "aluminum sliding door track" and found something like it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I googled "aluminum sliding door track" and found something like it.

thanks!

another question - I've tried my best to clean out my toaster but there's still some crud stuck down there, and if I toast something long enough eventually the fire alarm goes off. I'm not overcooking anything, it's just that the stuff down there that I can't get out burns a bunch. Should I just start over with a new toaster?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Probably , but before you toss the toaster, take the housing off and give the guts (excepting electrical contacts and board) a cursory cleaning. It's probably held together with screws on the bottom. There's a good chance you can get it working again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Probably , but before you toss the toaster, take the housing off and give the guts (excepting electrical contacts and board) a cursory cleaning. It's probably held together with screws on the bottom. There's a good chance you can get it working again.

ok i'll try that thanks, I didn't realize that the housing could be removed.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

If it is just bread (not pop tarts), then that stuff will probably just eventually burn out anyway. Just give it a good shake for cleaning and most of it should fall out.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

actionjackson posted:

ok i'll try that thanks, I didn't realize that the housing could be removed.

you can take apart most things, and a lot of the time all they need is cleaned. like the guy a couple pages ago with the broken keyboard lol

it's how i get most of my treasures :ssh:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If the toaster isn't salvageable, I'd recommend getting a flatbed toaster so you can make awesome sandwiches with toasted ciabatta bread or subs and stuff. Also they are way easier to keep clean.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

owlhawk911 posted:

hmm well it would depend how it tastes now wouldn't it

And on why you micropuked in the first place.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Can I toss these things in the recycling?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

Can I toss these things in the recycling?

Nahh you just post those through a slot in the drywall

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with delivery driving for an Amazon subcontractor? I guess people's experiences are probably different depending on who the contractor is. Been unemployed for like 3 months now and I'm thinking about trying it out. Seems like an easy job to get with passable pay.

All of the listings are very vague about the hours though. It sounds like they are trying to keep the wording open so they can work people like dogs if they need to. Every listing is like "10+ hour shifts, 4-6 days a week. and I'm like ok is this job 40 hours a week or 80 hours wtf?

Thought it might be an all right job for now while I wait and see if my job returns in Sept. but gently caress working more than 50 hours a week.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I applied and then never heard back so i think it depends on the company. I got picked up by a security agency like 2 weeks later so it wasnt something in my background check v0v

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm trying to remember the name of a website- I haven't been there in over a year but was distraught when I couldn't find it again. It was a collection of guides and very technical details about a handful of RTS games- Startopia, Homeworld 1/2, Total Annihilation, the first DoW games, and I think Age of Empires. Prior to that, it has been around since at least 2005. I mostly kept going back because of the excellent deconstruction of Startopia's systems whenever I replayed it.

I know this seems silly, but the way it was written and laid out was really high quality- I've been looking for hours now and even the Wayback Machine is no help if I can't even remember the name of the thing.

I know it had Strategy in the name, but that's not much to go on.

Edit: Found it finally.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160623012844/http://rakrent.com/rtsc/

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 6, 2020

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Would you describe ice as dry or wet?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Dry if it's really solid, wet if it's starting to melt on the surface. Although your touch will start the latter already, but if left alone it should be quite dry.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Dry Ice is generally what people call frozen carbon dioxide, since it sublimates directly to a gas without passing through a liquid phase.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

(This question is US only since I don't know how this works in other countries)

Was buying cars directly from the manufacturer ever a thing, or has it always been done through dealerships? When did the ban (I think it's a ban) on buying directly from manufacturers come about?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can someone explain fog and water vapor to me in very simple terms? I am a grown-rear end man living an adult-rear end life and I still can't wrap my head around it. I swear I'm not stupid, it's just like my brain refuses to assimilate this particular piece of knowledge.

Here's where I get stupid on the subject: water turns solid at 0c and into a gas at 100c, more or less depending on elevation and impurities and such. So how is there water in gas form rising from my front lawn in the morning? How is there a bunch of steam in my bathroom after a shower despite me not bathing in boiling water? How is there fog on a particularly spooky road trip? It's like water is a gas at every temperature and screw the rules.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Manager Hoyden posted:

Can someone explain fog and water vapor to me in very simple terms? I am a grown-rear end man living an adult-rear end life and I still can't wrap my head around it. I swear I'm not stupid, it's just like my brain refuses to assimilate this particular piece of knowledge.

Here's where I get stupid on the subject: water turns solid at 0c and into a gas at 100c, more or less depending on elevation and impurities and such. So how is there water in gas form rising from my front lawn in the morning? How is there a bunch of steam in my bathroom after a shower despite me not bathing in boiling water? How is there fog on a particularly spooky road trip? It's like water is a gas at every temperature and screw the rules.

There are of asterisks in what you said, but the general idea is that in all of your examples you're not seeing gaseous water, you're seeing tiny liquid water droplets precipitating out of and floating in the air, because the air can't absorb any more water.

Edit: Not needed to answer the question, but remember that temperature measures the average amount of energy within a substance. Individual molecules within that substance can have energy above the vapor point or below the solid point while the temperature is between the two.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 6, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dupersaurus posted:

There are of asterisks in what you said, but the general idea is that in all of your examples you're not seeing gaseous water, you're seeing tiny liquid water droplets precipitating out of and floating in the air, because the air can't absorb any more water.

Edit: Not needed to answer the question, but remember that temperature measures the average amount of energy within a substance. Individual molecules within that substance can have energy above the vapor point or below the solid point while the temperature is between the two.

How is the air "holding" water in the first place?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

How is the air "holding" water in the first place?

If the "drops" of water are small enough, i.e. on the order of a few molecules, then probably through Brownian motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

It's holding it in the form of water vapor, just gaseous water (invisible, not the same thing as steam you see coming from the kettle). The air can have a certain amount of water vapor in it depending on the temperature and pressure at the time. When the temperature drops or more water vapor is added, it precipitates to form droplets.