Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Fruits of the sea posted:

Regardless of how “developed” a child is, they are gonna be loud as hell, sometimes at seemingly random times for no reason at all, for many years.

The parent is 10 times more tired than you are, so they won’t even register your comments as an issue.

Not sure if you are the guest or the owner, but you should have known what you were getting into.

lol no I am the guest. She didn't tell me she had child before I paid the rent. Guess I will have to ask that upfront next time I get a roommate. Seemed like it would have came up in regular conversation but :shrug: Oh well 6 more weeks.
lol at the responses btw. Toilet has been real clean, Im doing good. I sleep all day and work at night so it's just a weird schedule. It'll be fine. :thanks:
edit again: I was a little frustrated when I wrote that initial post btw. Its like a little family in our airbnb and im not used to it, but i think in the long run it is a good experience as Ive never been around children before. So thats probably all Ill moan and complain about it.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

excellent bird guy posted:

Ive never been around children before. So thats probably all Ill moan and complain about it.

Maaaaaybe don't try to give parenting advice, then?

The solution is to leave, not to try to fix the child. Even if you knew what you were talking about.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I’m looking for the name of the music that Michael Moore usually plays at the the beginning and the end of his podcasts. It’s an orchestra, with a serendipity sound at first, then a clarinet comes in with one long note.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Calypso posted:

I’m looking for the name of the music that Michael Moore usually plays at the the beginning and the end of his podcasts. It’s an orchestra, with a serendipity sound at first, then a clarinet comes in with one long note.

Can you post a link to a recording? I tried looking it up and at least his YouTube podcasts don't seem to have any orchestral music.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I went on a bike ride today and the map I rode ended up looking like a really specific either video game or cartoon character. I can see the character in my head, but I just can't place it.

The two little spots on the second line from the top are the eyes above an agape mouth. Can anyone else place it? It's kind of driving me crazy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Number Munchers?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Crumps Brother posted:

I went on a bike ride today and the map I rode ended up looking like a really specific either video game or cartoon character. I can see the character in my head, but I just can't place it.

The two little spots on the second line from the top are the eyes above an agape mouth. Can anyone else place it? It's kind of driving me crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPnmewxetNA

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
That's some good stuff there, but it's not it. Something more recent.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Some older elementary schools still show signage for separate entrances for girls and boys. What was the reasoning behind this, especially since the classes themselves would be mixed? When did this custom die off?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Crumps Brother posted:

https://weirdmarioenemies.tumblr.com/post/177624782625/name-fronk-debut-warioware-inc-mega

I can't find the right pic, but this is close. Warioware had little pixel weirdos that kind of looked like that.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Can you post a link to a recording? I tried looking it up and at least his YouTube podcasts don't seem to have any orchestral music.

Episode 98 of his Rumble podcast.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Crumps Brother posted:

I keep going back to BattleBlock Theater, but I can find any pictures that match it. Maybe something with a similar art or animation style?

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Person A writes a will leaving money/objects/property to person B. Person B dies first then Person A without having updated the will. What happens? Is it as if they never wrote one at all? Does it go to close relatives of B? Close relatives of A?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

franco posted:

Person A writes a will leaving money/objects/property to person B. Person B dies first then Person A without having updated the will. What happens? Is it as if they never wrote one at all? Does it go to close relatives of B? Close relatives of A?

That's almost certainly going to depend on where it's happening! Basically any weird edge case legal question is going to be very different between jurisdictions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, local law matters a lot. The process of passing on someone's property if they die without a will is known as intestate succession, so look that up for whatever region you're interested in if this isn't just hypothetical.

Anna Nicole Smith would've been forgotten shortly after her death except that she died with a lot of money and no will, and her case will probably be taught in law schools for a long time.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

franco posted:

it'll either be relegated to the estate for disposition or end up in probate court, and the latter for sure if there's any kind of major dispute over stuff.

it really is very much dependent on the circumstances including the other language in the will as well though.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Thank you all :) Yeah it was just a hypothetical - was idly wondering for no particular reason.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Crumps Brother posted:

CrazySalamander posted:

Anyone recognize this?

I asked in the remember the name of a game thread and someone suggested

Shine posted:

Possibly the Adventure duck dragon. It doesn't really look like it, but it's along similar enough lines that that's where my brain went.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

it's definitely either Cole Phelps or Arokh

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Crumps Brother posted:

maybe?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

It's a sock puppet, OP.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looks like the Atari 2600 ET sprite to me

Again from the games thread, is this what you mean?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'm losing my mental image. I felt like what I had in my head was a worm poking out of a hole, or a turtle out of a shell, or I don't know. I started looking at art from Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass and it felt pretty good. Never saw anything that matched though.

I think the two best answers I saw were number munchers and the wrench. Those were pretty solid.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Hyperlynx posted:

Maaaaaybe don't try to give parenting advice, then?

The solution is to leave, not to try to fix the child. Even if you knew what you were talking about.

I never 'gave parenting advice,' i talked about the developmental linguistics classes i took in grad school. The subject matter just pertained to her situation, and although I think stuff in my mind (or make a post on the something awful dot com form) it doesn't necessarily correlate to the words and social interactions that I hope maintain tact. Ok enough of that topic, I do think it is helpful to know if I actually am being an rear end in a top hat from perspective of a 3rd party. I get it. Thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I never 'gave parenting advice,' i talked about the developmental linguistics classes i took in grad school. The subject matter just pertained to her situation

To a near stranger. Yeah, knock it off.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I never 'gave parenting advice,' i talked about the developmental linguistics classes i took in grad school. The subject matter just pertained to her situation, and although I think stuff in my mind (or make a post on the something awful dot com form) it doesn't necessarily correlate to the words and social interactions that I hope maintain tact. Ok enough of that topic, I do think it is helpful to know if I actually am being an rear end in a top hat from perspective of a 3rd party. I get it. Thanks.

I don't think you did anything wrong.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

edit: Ah geez this has been answered and ah geez this image is really large abort abort

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Motronic posted:

To a near stranger. Yeah, knock it off.

I mean we've lived together for 7 weeks and talk everyday. But regardless I, believe it or not, want to be a good person so slipped into casual conversation last night as she was complaining about her kid that *i dont know anything about parenting as i dont have kids so i can't comment*. So, another qcs success story, thanks everyone.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Partner ordered an item off Amazon yesterday, it arrived today. The Amazon box was torn open, and more, the package for the item inside was also opened. Nothing is missing or damaged, though there's no padding or packing slip or anything else inside the box, just the item she ordered.

I feel like we should be reporting this or something, but I don't know to who or how. The item wasn't stolen or damaged, but it's suspicious enough that it looks like it could have been, had it been something more valuable than what it was (a small tripod). Is there a process or form or something for this, or do I just shrug and ignore it until something I order actually gets stolen?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Report it to the carrier. If there's someone ripping open packages and stealing things, they want to catch them, and knowing that your package was damaged might help them to narrow it down.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there a cheap way to get something like a square or at least extra wide yoga mat? Something moveable/storable to cover a hard floor for home workouts.

I see some solutions out there that are weirdly expensive for basically foam that I know comes on giant cheap industrial rolls.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

https://www.americanfloormats.com/12-thick-rubber-roll-matting/
?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there a cheap way to get something like a square or at least extra wide yoga mat? Something moveable/storable to cover a hard floor for home workouts.

I see some solutions out there that are weirdly expensive for basically foam that I know comes on giant cheap industrial rolls.

You can get the foam puzzle piece ones pretty much anywhere although they may be a pain in the butt if you're planning on putting them away when you're done.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

What the heck is this horn contraption?

Click for embiggening:

If it's unclear (I suck at photos): there's the horn, a lightbulb to the left of it, an antenna sticking up just past the roof line, and the wires snake into a side door at the rear of the building.

The building it's mounted on (currently a high-end furniture store) was probably built in the late 1800's/early 1900's, and it's on what's always been the "Main Street" of this quaint neighborhood. My husband suggested an air-raid siren, but it's not that big --- the horn is like the size of an old-timey bike horn. My guess is a fancy high-tech (for the time) burglar alarm, like it would honk and the light bulb would flash to alert the neighbors/beat cops that nefarious crimes were afoot. The antenna is throwing both of us off.

I am not willing to get a much closer look because there's a wasp nest in the horn, but I could try to get a different angle if it helps.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Click for embiggening:

If it's unclear (I suck at photos): there's the horn, a lightbulb to the left of it, an antenna sticking up just past the roof line, and the wires snake into a side door at the rear of the building.

The building it's mounted on (currently a high-end furniture store) was probably built in the late 1800's/early 1900's, and it's on what's always been the "Main Street" of this quaint neighborhood. My husband suggested an air-raid siren, but it's not that big --- the horn is like the size of an old-timey bike horn. My guess is a fancy high-tech (for the time) burglar alarm, like it would honk and the light bulb would flash to alert the neighbors/beat cops that nefarious crimes were afoot. The antenna is throwing both of us off.

I am not willing to get a much closer look because there's a wasp nest in the horn, but I could try to get a different angle if it helps.

It's an "everything's ok alarm"

And it's working.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Click for embiggening:

Looks like a civil defense alerting device. You know, hurricane, tornado, air raid, volunteer fire department going out. The antenna is likely to control it via (county dispatch) radio. They aren't all massive air raid sirens. Sometimes it's a bunch of things spaced around controlled by radio.

If you see more of them, that's probably it.

The only reason I don't buy the alarm siren thing is because of the antenna.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

tuyop posted:

It's an "everything's ok alarm"

And it's working.

Look, friend, I don't know if you've been following the news lately, but clearly that poo poo ain't working.

Motronic posted:

Looks like a civil defense alerting device. You know, hurricane, tornado, air raid, volunteer fire department going out. The antenna is likely to control it via (county dispatch) radio. They aren't all massive air raid sirens. Sometimes it's a bunch of things spaced around controlled by radio.

If you see more of them, that's probably it.

The only reason I don't buy the alarm siren thing is because of the antenna.

I haven't noticed any others, but that explanation makes a ton of sense, thanks! This area (Roanoke, VA) still relies on volunteer rescue squads to this day in some of the more rural parts. It probably was indeed a general "holy poo poo something bad is happening" device back before everyone had a phone/TV/what-have-you and this particularly section wasn't as built up. Heck, they still blow a Flintstones-style whistle at 7:00, noon/12:30 for lunch, and 3:00 every weekday down at the Norfolk-Southern railyard that you can hear for miles.

Wasps be damned, now I want a better look at it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Crumps Brother posted:

Super duper longshot, but maybe it's Super Arabian on NES?

The pink guys, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0g0pMZl0tU

Edit: I originally saw this quoted in a gaming thrws, and got super confused, thought my Awful app was bugging out.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 10, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I haven't noticed any others, but that explanation makes a ton of sense, thanks! This area (Roanoke, VA) still relies on volunteer rescue squads to this day in some of the more rural parts. It probably was indeed a general "holy poo poo something bad is happening" device back before everyone had a phone/TV/what-have-you and this particularly section wasn't as built up. Heck, they still blow a Flintstones-style whistle at 7:00, noon/12:30 for lunch, and 3:00 every weekday down at the Norfolk-Southern railyard that you can hear for miles.

Wasps be damned, now I want a better look at it.

Find one of the old dudes in the volunteer FD and ask them. Those are the ones who will know about the (probably abandoned for new tech) system that used to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Look, friend, I don't know if you've been following the news lately, but clearly that poo poo ain't working.

OP didn't mention that it was going off.