Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

What determines how an Amazon order will be shipped? Every time they say it's coming through Canada Post I want to cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Will I have any issues using an EU Power Strip (Monitor + Laptop + Cell Phone plugged in) connected to a basic $10 amazon travel convertor plugged into a power outlet in Japan?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 19, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Busy Bee posted:

Will I have any issues using an EU Power Strip (Monitor + Laptop + Cell Phone plugged in) connected to a basic $10 amazon travel convertor plugged into a power outlet in Japan?

Apart from it being an unnecessarily complicated and bulky solution? No.

(Get Japanese power cables for the monitor/laptop and charge the phone off the laptop)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Moo the cow posted:

If it isn't specifically stated in the auction, I assume it isn't included - then I send a message to the seller to confirm one way or the other.

I tried vinegar in the past and it did nothing except make it smell like fish and chips.

Instead:

On the hottest cycle it does the trick.

Huh, I've had luck with vinegar in the washing machine, except that was using it as prewash to get funky smell out of clothes.

But something actually designed for the purpose is probably going to be much better, I guess.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Drimble Wedge posted:

What determines how an Amazon order will be shipped? Every time they say it's coming through Canada Post I want to cancel.

They have algorithms that are designed to let them ship everything at the lowest total cost. Optimizing that probably saves them on the order of $500 million per year, so they're not going to be particularly concerned with how any specific package ships.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Moo the cow posted:

I tried vinegar in the past and it did nothing except make it smell like fish and chips.

Instead:

On the hottest cycle it does the trick.

Didn't know they made stuff like this. Thanks!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I saw someone recommend those rollerblade casters and they said it fit all chairs except IKEA. Didn’t even occur to me that someone else would make IKEA specific ones.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is something I think took place on the forums but my memory of it is really vague so it's possible that this was an article from elsewhere. The heart of it was that there was a secret internet community on kindle reviews, which could only be accessed from within the kindles themselves. The nature of the social interaction was roleplaying of some kind. Basically people would leave chains of reviews as their characters and interact that way. I believe the person who wrote the article or post had come from a very conservative christian family and therefore most normal social sites were blocked and this was their only way to have a social life.

Does anyone know this article or maybe a thread from the forums?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
In America's 13 colonies voting was restricted to property owners, but not necessarily land owners. For example, Pennsylvania required the ownership of 50 acres of land or £50 of personal property. How much stuff did £50 of personal property represent in 1776? A herd of 50 cows? A one bedroom house?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’ve been growing out my mustache and goatee and the goatee portion is a little wild. What’s the best way to straighten it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

In America's 13 colonies voting was restricted to property owners, but not necessarily land owners. For example, Pennsylvania required the ownership of 50 acres of land or £50 of personal property. How much stuff did £50 of personal property represent in 1776? A herd of 50 cows? A one bedroom house?

Inflation adjusted $1 in 1776 is like $30 or so today. So $1500. Which barely buys you even ONE cow in todaybux. Certainly nothing fully grown/producing. Dunno about the relative cost of livestock then vs now so basically this was mostly useless information to answer your question.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Motronic posted:

Inflation adjusted $1 in 1776 is like $30 or so today. So $1500. Which barely buys you even ONE cow in todaybux. Certainly nothing fully grown/producing. Dunno about the relative cost of livestock then vs now so basically this was mostly useless information to answer your question.

1 steer cost £20 in 1768 in Rhode Island (1 yearling steer £50, 1 "Steer, a Neat Beast" £65), so wouldn't be all that much.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044081963308&view=1up&seq=18

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Anyone have an idea for how serious a suspected testicular torsion is?

Stood up normally, and something felt off on my right testicle. I gave it a look and my ball was seemingly flipped completely upside down inside the scrotal sack.

I attempted to walk a step and stuff hurt slightly. So I felt with my hand and barely pushed at all and it flipped back completely. Everything looks mostly normal now. A slight reddening in the area but no pain. The slightest of odd sensations if I bend down.

This was two days ago when it happened.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

papa horny michael posted:

Anyone have an idea for how serious a suspected testicular torsion is?
If it's currently under torsion it's definitely a "go immediately to hospital" situation. If it was briefly but is ok now...how much do you like that ball? Probably worth at least a clinic visit or Telehealth call.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
drat, you posted too late. It probably already fell off

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’ve been growing out my mustache and goatee and the goatee portion is a little wild. What’s the best way to straighten it?

Beard oil or beard balm. If you have naturally curly facial hair, you'll never straighten your goatee. To keep your mustache straight, you need to keep it relatively short with some scissors. Good luck fellow face-hair-grower!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What happened to the Loltrump thread? Looks like the old one got goldmined and the new one got gassed? Is there a current version? One of the best threads on the forums so idg why they got rid of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

veni veni veni posted:

What happened to the Loltrump thread? Looks like the old one got goldmined and the new one got gassed? Is there a current version? One of the best threads on the forums so idg why they got rid of it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940821&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

TATPants posted:

Beard oil or beard balm. If you have naturally curly facial hair, you'll never straighten your goatee. To keep your mustache straight, you need to keep it relatively short with some scissors. Good luck fellow face-hair-grower!

Thank you for your input! I've seen devices that purport to straighten the hair (they look like electric hair-brushes) but was never sure if they did anything or not.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Grifter posted:

This is something I think took place on the forums but my memory of it is really vague so it's possible that this was an article from elsewhere. The heart of it was that there was a secret internet community on kindle reviews, which could only be accessed from within the kindles themselves. The nature of the social interaction was roleplaying of some kind. Basically people would leave chains of reviews as their characters and interact that way. I believe the person who wrote the article or post had come from a very conservative christian family and therefore most normal social sites were blocked and this was their only way to have a social life.

Does anyone know this article or maybe a thread from the forums?

I remember this too and I was also looking for it. I'm pretty sure the OP was a twitter thread that someone posted here somewhere. Only detail I remember differently is I think they were reviews in the Nook store, but yeah it was a full community of people who found each other by all having been cut off from the outside world and only having this one outlet. Would love to read about it again.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
A good friend of mine recently became my girlfriend and she is precious to me and I love her to pieces, and she has borderline personality disorder. Is there a good thread to go talk about her and maybe get advice? Should I start my own thread in e/n?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

As mentioned beard oil can help. Treating it with conditioner occasionally helps as well.

My best piece of advice would be to treat beards like a piece of topiary; if they get really unruly (particularly the first time you're growing it out), take it to a professional barber to get it trimmed. Then you have a good shape to maintain and alter as you wish.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Hipster_Doofus posted:

A good friend of mine recently became my girlfriend and she is precious to me and I love her to pieces, and she has borderline personality disorder. Is there a good thread to go talk about her and maybe get advice? Should I start my own thread in e/n?

A thread like that would fit into e/n just fine, I don't know if there's another place that it'd really go. There's at least a few people with experience with bpd in e/n iirc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

greazeball posted:

I remember this too and I was also looking for it. I'm pretty sure the OP was a twitter thread that someone posted here somewhere. Only detail I remember differently is I think they were reviews in the Nook store, but yeah it was a full community of people who found each other by all having been cut off from the outside world and only having this one outlet. Would love to read about it again.

The only thing I could find about it was your post about it from April.

greazeball posted:

The best one of those that I read about existed in Nook reviews and was some kind of massive RPG I think. There was this big community of otherwise completely shut off teenagers (many of whom were permanently grounded for being gay or trans) who followed messages to go to review #146 of The Collected Short Stories of Edgar Allen Poe. I can't find it at the moment unfortunately.

It’s drat near ungoogleable, unfortunately.

As I recall, you are correct that it accessible via Nook devices and later via the Web, which is how the author stumbled upon the no‐longer‐hidden channels. It may not have been book reviews, but book discussions? I’m not sure on that point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Platystemon posted:

As I recall, you are correct that it accessible via Nook devices and later via the Web, which is how the author stumbled upon the no‐longer‐hidden channels. It may not have been book reviews, but book discussions? I’m not sure on that point.
I remember the story, but I don't know where I read it - or possibly watched it? From some quick Googling I think the roleplaying might have been based around something called "Warrior Cats"?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Not quite what you were asking, but I read "I Hate You - Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality" by Jerold J. Kreisman, Hal Straus after getting out of a relatively-short relationship with someone with BPD. I knew nothing of BPD before or during the relationship and reading the book put a lot of things into perspective.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Hey thanks!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've got an old TV in my garage (Samsung Series 6 from ~2009) that I occasionally use when I'm grilling or whatever. When you turn it on, there's a single line of pixels down the centre-right of the screen where it seems like the red doesn't work. After it warms up, it usually goes away, but that can take up to an hour. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is this thing just on the way out? No big drama if it is,just curious really.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

ulmont posted:

1 steer cost £20 in 1768 in Rhode Island (1 yearling steer £50, 1 "Steer, a Neat Beast" £65), so wouldn't be all that much.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044081963308&view=1up&seq=18
That price list completely answers my question.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've gotten really interested in the concept of arcologies. There wouldn't happen to be a thread about construction megaprojects like this, would there?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Memento posted:

I've got an old TV in my garage (Samsung Series 6 from ~2009) that I occasionally use when I'm grilling or whatever. When you turn it on, there's a single line of pixels down the centre-right of the screen where it seems like the red doesn't work. After it warms up, it usually goes away, but that can take up to an hour. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is this thing just on the way out? No big drama if it is,just curious really.

There’s a series of ribbon cables in there with a line for every column and one of the contacts is marginal.

It’s technically a fixable problem, but resoldering it would be a fiddly job. If it were my TV, I’d go in there and see if I could force better a better connexion with a little pressure in the right place. Probably you could, if heat is enough to fix it for now.

This guy’s politics are bad, but he knows how to tear apart a television.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
How does remixing a recorded track work? Do you need to get a master version of the music with all the channels separate so you can manipulate them freely, or do you somehow work around the limitations of sampling bits of the final product and complete audio profile?

(I’m probably using the wrong terminology for most of this, they are my best guesses as to the bits of industry jargon)

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

ineptmule posted:

How does remixing a recorded track work? Do you need to get a master version of the music with all the channels separate so you can manipulate them freely, or do you somehow work around the limitations of sampling bits of the final product and complete audio profile?

(I’m probably using the wrong terminology for most of this, they are my best guesses as to the bits of industry jargon)

both, having stems is rad but if you don't got em and really want em you chop poo poo up yourself. fun fact, anything that was in a rock band/guitar hero type game has stems ripped from that available :filez:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks for the answer! I also had a thought after I posted that maybe there is software that can separate a compressed track into channels? Probably prohibitively expensive though I guess

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

the closest software i've seen was more a "mute the vocals for karaoke" kinda thing and didn't work super well. maybe you just need to learn to use it

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/how-to-use-music-rebalance-in-rx-7.html

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah Audacity has a mute vocals filter too, it works by taking out the part of the audio that is centered (vocals usually are, backups and instruments are usually slightly to one side or the other), but it doesn't work super great.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What the izotope software does is downright miraculous compared to audacity's 1999 era technology.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

ineptmule posted:

A remix can be made from chopping up the original final product, it's often called a "bootleg remix".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

ineptmule posted:

The artist will usually provide you with the stems, loops, vocal assets - usually a 6 to 10 track bounce (not the full 48+). Artists who are super on their poo poo will also send a package of the plug-ins and effects used.

None of this happens until you've signed a small town phone book sized nda/asset recoup agreement.

Whitelabel and bootleg remixes are just done with clever editing looping and eq-ing.

Source: was a signed remix producer for several labels and artists until about 2013-ish.