Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Do you have any kind of image capture app installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is 'Christmas Cake women' (unmarried women over 25) still a societal norm in Japan?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Is 'Christmas Cake women' (unmarried women over 25) still a societal norm in Japan?

Not sure about Japan, but in Taiwan (which has a lot of Japanese influence for ... historical reasons) it's definitely a thing, although the exact age seems to change based on who's talking. I've heard as low as 27 and as high as 32 from Taiwanese women.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Grouchio posted:

My Japanese friend made the reference about 5 years ago, and she was 26 or 27 at the time. So definitely still a strong thing, but she certainly didn't buy into it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have questions about family stuff, especially in different cultures. I didn't grow up with any family, so I don't have a good frame of reference for this. I'm writing a story, and I've realized I know almost nothing about what different families look like across the world, and what terms are common or not.

If you answer this, I'd love to know where (roughly!) you're from, or like how you'd describe your family. I don't know quite know how I want to describe the families and stuff in my story, so I've largely kept them separated. I also believe I might have a warped view of what a family is like, since I've only really seen one, and a couple of sitcoms growing up (when sitcoms were a thing.)

Anyways, my questions and I might have more depending on what the answers are.

There are god-mothers and god-fathers, the idea basically being "if I die, you take care of my kids." How hard is it to pick someone? Can people pick more than one group? Do you have to do anything in writing?

As I understand it, people who are related to your family by being close family friends (so not blood related) will have the kids call the adults auntie or uncle. There are also places where they ask everyone to call them auntie or uncle?

Is having someone say "call me auntie" to a family member a like, honorific of some sort? Maybe that's the wrong word, but does it happen when you first meet them, or is it something they say after you've known them a while?

There are also cultures that have people refer to each other as cousin, or brother. Is that like a normal thing, or something you do after you get to know someone?

If any of these are different in different cultures, where have you observed it one way or the other?

Is saying awful things, having your parents be tremendous dick heads to you normal? A lot of TV shows an over protective father who talks not stop poo poo, or will have a wise cracking kid. It seems like it would be extremely irritating to have your family constantly sniping at each other. Does your family tease you? How does it make you feel?

(If you reply, thank you!)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

At least in Scandinavia, most of the answers to your questions are no/does not apply. Families can be tightly-knit but they aren't formalized to that degree.

Honorifics like uncle or big/little brother can be a really big deal in some cultures though. I was trying to look up a good reference for Filipino honorifics (Its pretty complex but they use family terms in other contexts as well, according to social status) and found this which is a great place to start : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorific

Sitcom families are terrible and unrealistic, but there are also terrible families in real life.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Is having someone say "call me auntie" to a family member a like, honorific of some sort? Maybe that's the wrong word, but does it happen when you first meet them, or is it something they say after you've known them a while?

in my wife's family (they are sri lankan), "auntie" can be anyone from an aunt to a much older cousin to a family friend. it's a fairly casual designation from what i can tell

in my own family (mix of southerners and new york jews) "auntie" is a term for aunts of the older generation. my grandmother's sisters were "aunties" while my dad's sister is just an "aunt". i dont think that system is particularly common tho, my family is a bit weird with terms

Boba Pearl posted:

There are also cultures that have people refer to each other as cousin, or brother. Is that like a normal thing, or something you do after you get to know someone?

its pretty common all over the us to casually call someone "brother" in a friendly way, including strangers. "cousin" or "cuz" is a bit more regional and dated

Boba Pearl posted:

Is saying awful things, having your parents be tremendous dick heads to you normal? A lot of TV shows an over protective father who talks not stop poo poo, or will have a wise cracking kid. It seems like it would be extremely irritating to have your family constantly sniping at each other. Does your family tease you? How does it make you feel?

my father's sense of humor is more mean spirited than mine, i think that's pretty common with boomers. but he's not as much of an rear end in a top hat as the typical sitcom dad

for reference, i am american and have spent most of my life on the east and west coasts but have spent a lot of time travelling the entire country

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 31, 2021

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Boba Pearl posted:

As I understand it, people who are related to your family by being close family friends (so not blood related) will have the kids call the adults auntie or uncle. There are also places where they ask everyone to call them auntie or uncle?

If any of these are different in different cultures, where have you observed it one way or the other?

I was born and raised in North West England and now live in Australia

On the Aunties and Uncle thing, it was incredibly common for kids to call unrelated adults close to their family Auntie and Uncle. In my case it was friends of my parents who we saw regularly. The adults themselves never said 'call me auntie' it was more that your parents introduced them as auntie/uncle to you and referred to them as 'your auntie/uncle. Once you got older you'd drop the auntie/uncle and just call them by their name. In my family I had only related Auntie and Uncle (my Dads sister) but several Aunties and Uncles who were my parents friends and then I had Great Aunties and Uncles (my Grandads siblings) who I also just called Auntie and Uncle because it was easier.
So basically it's a term of fondness.
I used to work in a children's nursery and South Indian parents would call all the female staff working there Auntie in front of the children and all their kids would call us Auntie instead of our names.

On your last question, sitcoms do not represent real life, they are exaggerated archetypes written to be funny and entertain. There are families where the members hate each other and will fight and say awful things, but that's not a healthy family. Most families are loving but as with all people you can have fallings out as well as incredible moments with each other. You can have differences of opinion about stuff and sometimes the family bonds are strong enough to overcome it, sometimes not. It's complicated.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In my family (in America) my dad's best friend was always called Uncle Tony. My mom also had us call a couple of her friends Aunt even though they were not as close to her, I think in that case it was a way for her of trying to make them feel more included in something since they were both odd and kind of marginalized women (one we later realized because she was a sociopath so live and learn lol).
We didn't really use the term godparents, though my dad did have things set up as to which aunts and uncles would take whos kids if the parents were to die.

Edit re: last question, my dad has an abusive mom and she would constantly criticize and pick at him on top of the other stuff. I saw less of it first hand because my mom shut her down pretty hard after my dad married her, but I definitely saw some. In a lot of ways his mom is like the grandma on Everybody Loves Raymond but the difference is that unlike in the show we don't all come together at the end of the episode and have some deep seated love for her under the surface. We can be polite and talk to her, help take care of her and fulfill normal relationship functions but honestly we don't really like her. And the harm that does to someone, growing uo with a parent who constantly talks poo poo at and about you is just awful.

That's of course distinct from friendly teasing (where the subtext is partially that someone is interested in and paying attention to you) or occasionally being abrasive.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 31, 2021

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Many family questions

I'll answer. From Western Canada, white, probably upper end of middle class. My parents' grandparents were immigrants (from Europe) and left the old country in the old country, largely. Parents were older than usual when me and brother were born (Mom 35 and Dad 45 when they started having kids).

I have a Godfather and Godmother, as does my brother. The two Godmothers are a couple of my mom's sisters who are single/childless. The two Godfathers are old friends of my dad, childless. Wasn't especially hard for them to pick, as they were the closest friends/siblings basically. The idea is partly that they'd ensure a good (and religious, originally) upbringing, partly that they'd actually take custody. The Godmothers were mentioned in my parents' wills as guardians if we were still minors. Nothing else "legal" involved.

Yes, close friends of my parents were introduced sometimes as Aunt/Uncle X, although the two we'd most likely have done that with were Godfather A and B. Me and my wife do that currently with some of our old friends - our daughter knows "Uncle Jim" etc.

I've seen the uncle/auntie usage as a general honorific for older people in Chinese immigrants I know.

No bad teasing, although I think this varies by family a lot (potentially also culture, I don't know). But my wife's family, for instance, which is demographically very similar to mine, does tease/talk poo poo a whole bunch. It still upsets my wife a lot.

Feel free to ask more in here or over PM if you like.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I have questions about family stuff, especially in different cultures. I didn't grow up with any family, so I don't have a good frame of reference for this. I'm writing a story, and I've realized I know almost nothing about what different families look like across the world, and what terms are common or not.

If you answer this, I'd love to know where (roughly!) you're from, or like how you'd describe your family. I don't know quite know how I want to describe the families and stuff in my story, so I've largely kept them separated. I also believe I might have a warped view of what a family is like, since I've only really seen one, and a couple of sitcoms growing up (when sitcoms were a thing.)

There are god-mothers and god-fathers, the idea basically being "if I die, you take care of my kids." How hard is it to pick someone? Can people pick more than one group? Do you have to do anything in writing?

From the US. My family was pretty loose as far as honorifics went. I certainly never had any godparents and didn't know what they really were well into my teens. We called our aunts and uncles by their name sometimes with aunt or uncle in front, but usually not. The exception would be my mother's aunt who we all referred to as aunt henri (Henrietta), but that was basically it. I only had maternal grandparents so they were simply known as granny and grampa as there wasn't a need to distinguish between 2 sets of grandparents. My familial upbringing was a bit odd insomuch as my parents didn't really have friends that they spent time with. My dad stayed in touch with one guy he knew from high school and that was pretty much it. My parents would interact and be amiable with people at church, and do church related activities with them occasionally, but it was still fairly infrequent.

I was essentially forbidden to call my father by his name as it was disrespectful for some reason. I never felt the need to try it with my mother though. Certainly my father was more of a dominant type where his opinion is the only valid opinion than my mother was. It led to some conflict between us (my siblings, myself vs our father), being the 3rd out of 4 children I learned to essentially become somewhat passive and just say I agreed to whatever he was going on about rather than deal with a long tirade of whatever the hell he was adamant about. This is because I saw my elder sister and my brother get into these long drawn out arguments with him that went nowhere. There wasn't any sort of explicit rudeness or derision on his part within any of this though. Just an adamance that he had to get his way/it was his house and he made the rules type of thing.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Boba Pearl posted:

White Australian, family from Tasmania but grew up in Sydney.

-We used Aunt and Uncle for great-aunts and -uncles who refused to accept their actual title (understandable), but not family friends, they wer always first name basis.
-My godparents were my maternal grandma as well as some family friends of my parents who they fell out of touch with, but my younger sister had a different set of family friends who took it VERY seriously, being sure to be a part of her life, offering her a place to stay when she was fighting w my parents etc. So I would say it depends on the people involved. Nothing formal/in writing I don't think.
-My family didn't really snipe at each other the way sitcom families do, although my sister and father got pretty close sometimes. There's definitely teasing, but it's all lighthearted. I'm pretty thin-skinned so they go easy on me, lol.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

Eastern Canada, raised white. Father is first generation out of England. Mother’s family immigrated 200ish years ago, Irish.

quote:

Yeah godparents are A Thing. My parents indicated this in their will. It’s also very much a family politics thing if you choose relatives.

quote:

This was not done in my family. I think it’s thoroughly for class reasons. My mom’s family is perpetually embarrassed that they’ve always been poor as dirt, and my dad’s family was extremely putting on airs about class. I remember trying to call a family friend “auntie” and my mom was like, “Ew, we don’t say ‘auntie’. And she’s not your aunt.” (My real aunt was in jail for killing her husband, lol)

quote:

I’ve worked in Indigenous communities in northern Alberta and the auntie/uncle/kohkom/mosom (for grandmother and father) is much more of a community title as well as something that indicates relationship.

quote:

I have a very healthy relationship with my parents and we’re never mean to each other. We don’t tease or insult or anything. When we argue it’s like, about principles and we don’t take anything personally.

We interact almost exactly like close adult friends. My friends are generally kind of shocked by this, and my wife’s parents are very polite with her but also super distant. Which is weird because they pressure her to contact them much more than mine do. And there are other weird consequences. Like my parents call us, her parents call her. I don’t know how I would tolerate a lovely tv family.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

From the UK, white and working / lower-middle class family (this is important; rich people in the UK don't have the same manners).

I have a godfather and godmother but it's definitely not a formalised thing, and I really doubt my parents ever thought about it in terms of "if I die..." ; mostly they were just like extra uncles and aunties.

On aunties and uncles: in my family we called close friends of my parents aunty and uncle, but would have found it weird for someone to ask us to call them aunty unless our parents did it as well. My ex was West African and she called most West Africans of her parent's generation, especially from church, uncle and aunty - which got a little confusing when I met her actual aunties. In this context "call me aunty" made a lot more sense as it was more about familiarity and being part of the same social group.

In Taiwan (and I assume Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China) every middle-aged person is aunty (阿姨 / ayi) or uncle (叔叔 / shushu) if you're younger than them, and in some other cases. For example, cleaners, caterers and workmen around the school I work at are normally called aunty and uncle regardless of their actual age. I think this is because they're in a caring role but aren't teachers (which has the honorific 老師 / laoshi for both sexes). In this case calling someone aunty or uncle is based on their social role and it's not a term of familiarity - not calling someone older than you aunty / uncle would imply disrespect for them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Boba Pearl posted:

Southeastern United States, rural, memories primarily from late 1980s-early 1990s.

Boba Pearl posted:

Godparents are a mostly Catholic thing in my experience. I don't have any godparents and I didn't know anyone not Catholic who did. My parents chose my father's sister as the person to take care of me and my brothers if they died, but to be clear in the United States it will ultimately be a court that sorts that out with reference to the expressed wishes (yes, in writing) of the parents, trying to determine what is in the best interests of the children.

Boba Pearl posted:

Nah. For us, all adults were "Mr. Firstname" or "Miss/Mrs. [usually just pronounced like 'Miz'] Firstname" if sufficiently close. Otherwise the same but Mr. Lastname etc. Any resemblance to how black Americans were supposed to address white Americans in Jim Crow times is probably unintended but a source thereof. https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/question/2006/september.htm

Boba Pearl posted:

Didn't happen generally with my family, but strikes me as a "I'm not an old person, call me with a bit of a more pet name than Aunt."

Boba Pearl posted:

Cultural. I've observed "brother" mostly with people of Mexican descent, and then pretty much immediately. Never seen "cousin."

Boba Pearl posted:

Nah, that's sitcom. I and my 2 brothers teased each other pretty consistently with varying degrees of malice, but my parents never did more than gentle teasing now and again.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm white, living in the Netherlands, raised comfortably middle-class.

quote:

I don't think it's very commonly done. At least, I don't really know anyone who has a formal/traditional godmother/father. I did have someone who we sometimes called my godmother (my mom's super competent best friend), but I don't think it's ever been official or put in writing. It was just explained to me and my sister that if anything terrible were to happen to our parents, she'd be the one that would take us in and raise us.

I've also been kinda half-jokingly been called my best friend's kid's godfather. We haven't discussed it in detail yet, but the expectation is there that if something should happen to him and his partner, I'll be one of the people to be considered to take in the kid.

quote:

It's fairly common among my peers, now that we're in our 30s and everyone is starting to have kids, to refer to very close family friends as uncle/auntie first-name, but in my experience this is only reserved for the select view that are closest to you. Like, the one or two best friends that also have a key to your house. My Nephew has 2 real uncles, and maybe two or three friends of the family they call uncle/auntie. I'm also referred to as uncle Taeke to my best friend's kid, and his mother's best friend is aunt first-name, but I think we're to only non-family members referred to in that way.

quote:

No idea. We're not really formal in that way, I guess.

quote:

'Bro' is used in much the same way as 'dude' is in some circles, but it's just a word that lost it's original meaning. It's very much a thing that was taken from (US) English through popular media. Me and my best friend are like brothers and sometimes half jokingly refer to each other that way, but not commonly.

quote:

Holy poo poo, no. That's just TV, and a lot of parenting seen on TV (especially the father's) would rightfully be considered abuse and bad parenting if it were to happen in real life, and be absolutely unacceptable. Normal parenting makes for boring TV. A normal/good parent is generally kind and supportive, and while teasing and to a lesser degree even 'talking poo poo' (like between a dad and his 16 year old son) can and is part of it, it's always clearly in a loving way. I think the teasing, talking poo poo, etc between siblings is depicted more realistically on TV, but in real life it's a lot less snappy. Fewer clever insults and more 'nuh uh' or just being an annoying poo poo to each other.

Now, that's the way it's supposed to be. Of course there's a ton of bad parents out there (hell, my profession is dealing with the fall out from the most extreme cases, so I know all about it) but what you see on TV is not how it is (or supposed to be) in real life.
As an example, in That 70s Show, the way the father Red treats his son, calling him dumbass all the time, putting him down constantly in a really mean way, with the mother Kitty nervously trying to keep the peace while being driven to drink, would be serious cause for alarm in real life, and definitely traumatizing for the kids.

E:
Family stuff is very varied and complicated. Ecery family is different and if you didn't grow up with one I think your best bet would be to actually sit down with people you know and have a conversation about it rather than asking here. For every one of my answers there's a lot more to say, and you won't get a good picture from a couple of posts on SA.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 31, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That's fair, I grew up in foster care, and had behavioral issues which got me put in group homes. so my "family" was a rotating staff, and there's a lot of burnout so that staff changed a lot as various people quit, got fired, or re-hired or whatever. We didn't have anyone we referred to as mom. The person I knew the longest was my Social Worker, then the Administrator for the building, and the counselor. I have a life partner, and her family has done a lot to fill in the gaps, but that's just one family, and I'm kind of fascinated how all these different cultures raise children, refer to each other. I mean even in this thread, there's an extremely wide variety of answers, I've read developmental psychology books, and took a few courses in college to see if that's what I wanted to do, but they didn't mean families as much.

When I was in high school, I was too embarrassed of not having a family to really ask anyone about theirs, I appreciate all the answers, it's sating my curiosity, and giving me new areas to go and look for stuff or to google and learn about.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
The "godparent" being the one to take in the children if the parents die is not really a thing most places anymore; most people just think of it as being present in the kids' lives to some varying degree. People hella into Catholicism (and possibly some branches of Protestantism) think of it as a spiritual guide, meant to keep the kid in the religion.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

That's fair, I grew up in foster care, and had behavioral issues which got me put in group homes. so my "family" was a rotating staff, and there's a lot of burnout so that staff changed a lot as various people quit, got fired, or re-hired or whatever. We didn't have anyone we referred to as mom. The person I knew the longest was my Social Worker, then the Administrator for the building, and the counselor. I have a life partner, and her family has done a lot to fill in the gaps, but that's just one family, and I'm kind of fascinated how all these different cultures raise children, refer to each other. I mean even in this thread, there's an extremely wide variety of answers, I've read developmental psychology books, and took a few courses in college to see if that's what I wanted to do, but they didn't mean families as much.

When I was in high school, I was too embarrassed of not having a family to really ask anyone about theirs, I appreciate all the answers, it's sating my curiosity, and giving me new areas to go and look for stuff or to google and learn about.

Oh man, I feel ya. I work in the foster system and I've been part of that staff, so I know (albeit in a limited way and from the other side) how rough that is. I can't say I know what it's like because luckily I grew up with a family, but I do have some idea.

I don't work in group homes anymore (except occasionally to fill in for a sick colleague) partly because of that, and just general burn out. It's a tough job, especially with the kids in my neck of the woods. A lot of behavioural, developmental issues, trauma, attachment disorders, etc.

Now I run a sort of lodge for kids in the foster system, but we do things a bit differently. They normally live in a family setting to offer them as close to a normal upbringing as possible, with a regular couple as caregivers and usually alongside their own kids, but to give them a break the kids stay with me for one weekend a month and (parts of) the school holidays. This way I get the same kids regularly so there's more stability, and instead of being a primary caregiver (parent role) I'm more of an uncle to them, if you know what I mean. That role suits me as a person much better as well.

Anyway, you're welcome to send me a PM if you have more questions or whatever.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
https://imgur.com/a/uGrargw

I found some bones on a beach in North Carolina. They were not close enough together or in similar condition that I believe they came from the same animal. One is obviously a vertebrae, but no clue from what. The other I can't identify at all. Ideas? Or a better thread to ask in?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How does one learn how to get good at winning internet arguements?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
An interesting question, for if you read the replies you aren't ready yet

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Grouchio posted:

The basics of most arguments topics are solved. That is, opening arguments, counter-arguments, counter-counter arguments etc are all known to those who care about it, so it's pure kabuki. For example, pro-choicers will usually open with bodily autonomy arguments - "My body, my choice" - and the pro-lifer responds that you don't have a right to kill other human beings who inconvenience you and the pro-choicer will usually then deploy a kidney analogy, and so on. To win an argument you've got to make a move they don't know how to respond to. For pro-lifers that could mean denying exceptions for rape, incest, or in vitro fertilization and for pro-choicers it could mean defending infanticide. Most people arguing about abortion don't know how to respond to either of those moves besides calling you psychopathic misogynist or a baby killer, as the case may be.

Something to always think about is what exactly you're giving up if you accept their premise or conclusion as true. For example, if a libertarian says, "All taxation is theft", what if you said, "Then some theft is good"? If an atheist offers a strong argument against omniscience, what exactly is the Christian giving up if they say, "You're right, God couldn't be omniscient, he's just the most knowledgeable being that could exist and that's why I pray to him"?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gobbeldygook posted:

If an atheist offers a strong argument against omniscience, what exactly is the Christian giving up if they say, "You're right, God couldn't be omniscient, he's just the most knowledgeable being that could exist and that's why I pray to him"?
Well I'd say "your religion was built on self-titled prophets eating shrooms" :troll:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Grouchio posted:

Depends on who you are arguing with. I have encountered people on conservative websites that insist that conservatives/Republicans are wholly incapable of committing crimes. If a person who committed a crime identifies AS a conservative/Republican, then they MUST be a RINO or secret liberal/Democrat.

It's not possible to debate with them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Grouchio posted:

This really is a classic "the only winning move is not to play" situation.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
For those outside the U.S., what is the "Bud Lite" of your country? Some (probably) cheap brand of beer or alcoholic drink that everyone would have around but may not necessarily like?

Just something I've been wondering about since I keep hearing no one in Australia drinks Foster's, yet it's marketed here as well-known Australian beer. So I'm wondering if Guinness is as popular as we're led to believe in Ireland, Corona in Mexico, etc.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

For those outside the U.S., what is the "Bud Lite" of your country? Some (probably) cheap brand of beer or alcoholic drink that everyone would have around but may not necessarily like?

Just something I've been wondering about since I keep hearing no one in Australia drinks Foster's, yet it's marketed here as well-known Australian beer. So I'm wondering if Guinness is as popular as we're led to believe in Ireland, Corona in Mexico, etc.

Australia reporting in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

There is a bunch of regional cheap swill beers though depending on where you go. It's not quite as ubiquitous as the bud thing seems to be in the USA.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

Australia reporting in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

There is a bunch of regional cheap swill beers though depending on where you go. It's not quite as ubiquitous as the bud thing seems to be in the USA.

For reference, for our foreign friends: that's a ~25.3 fl oz bottle that gent has there.

But yeah, either VB or Carlton Draught I'd say are the most ubiquitous terrible beers.

The sneering superiority that some Aussies feel about not drinking Foster's on account of it being garbage is both misplaced and hilarious, because it's not actually physically possible for any beer to taste worse than Carlton Draught.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Melbourne Bitter, XXXX Gold and Great Northern are all beers that taste worse than Carlton Draught.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

Melbourne Bitter, XXXX Gold and Great Northern are all beers that taste worse than Carlton Draught.

Sounds like I have homework to do!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

Sounds like I have homework to do!

lol, let my experiences in dreadful establishments across the Outback guide you

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Thanks, guys! Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was anything as ubiquitous as Bud Light in other countries. Actually I don't know if it's as popular in some parts of the U.S. as it is in the South either. In the particular area of Ohio I visited a couple years back, I saw a lot more people drinking Miller Lite and Yuengling. But please tell me more about your terrible regional beers!

So that's where friendlyjordies got the sound clip for his Aussie Courts intro.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
XXXX Gold is specifically found in the hotter, dumber parts of the country (Queensland, Northern Territory, the iron ore mining areas in Western Australia). Same thing with Great Northern - they're both mid-strength beers (around 3.5% ABV) and really insipid. Melbourne Bitter is found in the dodgiest Collingwood pubs, places that have been having rock shows for forty years, where the neighbours are all rich arseholes who bought an apartment next to a live music venue and then started complaining about the noise. You drink seventeen of them and then return them to their rightful owner when you're done. Geelong Bitter might not be around any more, but that's even worse still, and only found in select working-class towns where the bottles come pre-stressed so when you smash them over the bar to stick into someone's neck, you don't end up with a palm full of glass splinters.

At least, 20 years ago when I was drinking them, that was my experience. I'm boring as poo poo these days, I'll generally just buy Furphy or the DAB big cans if I can find them. Furphy is just a decent middle of the road ale, not challenging at all but quite pleasant to drink. DAB is a cheap German lager that again is just a solid quaffing beer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

Canada has a lot that might qualify depending on region, but Molson Canadian is probably the best answer here.

Honorable mentions include Kokanee, Moosehead, and Alexander Keith's.

Edit: actually maybe not Kokanee. I'm pretty sure that's mostly a western Canada thing.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 1, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boba Pearl posted:

As I understand it, people who are related to your family by being close family friends (so not blood related) will have the kids call the adults auntie or uncle.
Australian; English/Irish background. I have never called anyone "auntie" or "uncle", except for my father's aunt and uncle who were always referred to, by everyone, as "Auntie Gwen and Uncle Bill" like as though those were their actual given names. I call my aunts and uncles by their names and always have. Some of my cousins are the same, others do the "Uncle/Auntie <whoever>" thing. I have friends who encourage their kids to call me "uncle Tigs", which I find unnecessary, but not offensive or anything. In my experience, it's basically just a matter of habit and personal preference.

But that thing you see on TV where siblings will call each other "bro/sis" like as though they don't know each other's names? That's weird. I've never heard anyone do that in real life.

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

Crown Lager and Coopers Pale Ale are also extremely common in Australia, but are a step above XXXX/VB.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

The most sold beers in Sweden are Norrlands Guld and Mariestads. It's an OK to bad light lager and another bad light lager that people think is fancy for some reason. Probably good marketing.

I wouldn't say any of them is "the bud lite" of Sweden, though, they're just fairly popular cheap beers but we have a million of those

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slightly more abstract answer: prohibition completely destroyed diversity of American alcohol production, so the reason bud light is so widespread is that there were no local competitors essentially.
More closely on message: In Denmark, we have Carlsberg and Tuborg as the default beer (at least in Copenhagen, there's some regional difference), and then you get budget beer like Dansk Pilsner, also including some regional brands.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Canada has a lot that might qualify depending on region, but Molson Canadian is probably the best answer here.

Honorable mentions include Kokanee, Moosehead, and Alexander Keith's.

Edit: actually maybe not Kokanee. I'm pretty sure that's mostly a western Canada thing.

Labatt is right up there with Canadian in some areas, and yeah Kokanee is mostly west coast.

MGD and Old Style Pilsner get an honourable mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

BonHair posted:

Slightly more abstract answer: prohibition completely destroyed diversity of American alcohol production, so the reason bud light is so widespread is that there were no local competitors essentially.
More closely on message: In Denmark, we have Carlsberg and Tuborg as the default beer (at least in Copenhagen, there's some regional difference), and then you get budget beer like Dansk Pilsner, also including some regional brands.

This is also worth noting about Sweden btw, a lot of people go to Denmark and buy tons of beer because it's way cheaper so Tuborg is probably common here too but it's hard to find numbers.

Tuborg is pretty good as far as trash beers go.

This made me wonder what some absolute trash beers are that are still somehow popular? For example, we have Kung which is in the top ten and it's absolutely foul. Also Arboga and Sofiero, two other top ten brands here, disgusting. In England I saw Carlings in a lot of places, the worst beer I've ever tasted and it's everywhere.