Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why does my PS4 remember where we are on a dvd while for blu-ray, which is presumably more advanced, it always plays from the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

Why does my PS4 remember where we are on a dvd while for blu-ray, which is presumably more advanced, it always plays from the beginning?

DVD is a dumb video file that the player handles directly.

Blu‐ray discs can have funky software in the middle that complicates things.

quote:

Why can't BD-J resume play?

Resume play won't work because BD-J application in the disc disables the resume function. The Java software controls playback plus all the interactive content (like what Windows OS does on the computer). When you hit stop, or turn off the player, the Java application on the disc reboots in the next playback. This results in resuming playback from the beginning of the disc. Therefore you should use pause instead of stop for Blu-ray disc that supports BD-J application.

https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/support/articles/S500019716

Some BD‐J movies implement their own resume function to be used in lieu of the player’s capability, but more just don’t.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I don't know if there's a dedicated thread for Google wiretaps but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get this thing to tell me about the day ahead in a way that makes sense. So like, I have my gcal with an all-day event called "Pay Day" and then an event at 7 called "board meeting" and a recurring reminder that says "report new hires". Ideally it would say something like, "It's Pay Day. There is a board meeting at 7. You need to report new hires today". Instead it says some stilted poo poo like, "You have an all-day event called pay day. You have board meeting from 7-8. Every monday at 8, report new hires." Is there a different app I can use with it that's better at summarizing poo poo? Or like, a place where I can tell it what to say in more detail using wildcards?

Ideally I would also be able to tell it to only read off my work calendar and leave my personal calendar out of it but apparently that is also beyond it. Why is this thing so stupid.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

alnilam posted:

I moved to Oregon and I'm trying to learn the names of mountain ranges and hills - like, more specific than "Cascades" and "Coastal." Is there a good, ideally interactive/zoomable map that lists common names for different ranges and ridges, like these are the blue hills, this is devil's butte, these are the thurston hills, this particular peak is called gold peak, etc. I've learned some from hiking maps and NFS maps but the information in those is pretty piecemeal.

Wikipedia contributors seem to love making lists so I checked and lo and behold:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountain_ranges_of_Oregon

This might also be useful for an overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mountain_ranges_of_Oregon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mountains_of_Oregon

Not a map, but has all the info you need to find them on one.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Google Earth didn't really do it, it has some of the major peaks, like the really big ones that everyone knows, but it didn't have a lot of the more minor mountains and ridges that I've only been able to learn by hiking maps etc.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wikipedia contributors seem to love making lists so I checked and lo and behold:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountain_ranges_of_Oregon

This might also be useful for an overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mountain_ranges_of_Oregon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mountains_of_Oregon

Not a map, but has all the info you need to find them on one.

This was somewhat helpful but is still more broad than I wanted, however one of the references led me to some USGS resources that were helpful, including:
This Geographic Names page on one particular range of foothills:
https://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=GNISPQ:3:::NO::P3_FID:1133219
Which has links to the USGS National Map, which shows at least some more hill and range names than Google:
https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/
And this site called hometownlocator, which tantalizingly has a big, but uselessly alphabetical, list of ridges including minor ones, which all seem to be parsed directly from the USGS Geographic Names service linked above. But they are listed by name and can't be plotted all at once, also the website is clunky and the map doesn't always load.
https://oregon.hometownlocator.com/features/

Still not what I was dreaming of but it's getting closer. Thanks for the tips folks, I might just have to dig around on a case by case basis!

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Platystemon posted:

DVD is a dumb video file that the player handles directly.

Blu‐ray discs can have funky software in the middle that complicates things.

https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/support/articles/S500019716

Some BD‐J movies implement their own resume function to be used in lieu of the player’s capability, but more just don’t.

Whoah, Blu-Ray discs can have little JVMs on them? I guess Java's still on the TV like they originally wanted!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If nothing else, making a gigantic map of Oregon's landmarks and their names could be a pretty awesome hobby. Maps these days tend to focus on road names, not so much geographical features or local terminology.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

If nothing else, making a gigantic map of Oregon's landmarks and their names could be a pretty awesome hobby. Maps these days tend to focus on road names, not so much geographical features or local terminology.

That's a fun idea!

Also at least two of the Wiki pages have listed William Loy's Atlas of Oregon as a source and I love big atlases so it might be time to buy an irl book about this.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m looking for a notepad/day planner type book for my wife to use for her business. Not sure if there a thread for that type of stuff but I’d like to get her a nice one as a gift.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

I’m looking for a notepad/day planner type book for my wife to use for her business. Not sure if there a thread for that type of stuff but I’d like to get her a nice one as a gift.

Moleskine is your brand imo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BonHair posted:

Moleskine is your brand imo.

I’ll check it out, thank you!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

When writing a cover letter for a job, should I diplomatically avoid mentioning that I don't meet one of the requirements mentioned in the ad, or go "while I do not meet this requirement, I do have blah blah blah"?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 20, 2021

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

RCarr posted:

My wife loves using planners from Plum Paper. They have a ton of options and ways to tweak it just the way you like and it is really high quality. Might be tricky as a surprise style gift, unless you know what sort of custom layour she might want.

She also recently has been using a Rocketbook too. It syncs directly to her various software programs like OneNote and email etc. It's really great for her to pull out and quickly jot down a list of to do things, etc.

paradoxGentleman posted:

When writing a cover letter for a job, should I diplomatically avoid mentioning that I don't meet one of the requirements mentioned in the ad, or go "while I do not meet this requirement, I do have blah blah blah"?

I only say positives about how and why I am a good fit for the job. If I don't meet some things, I don't mention them. I focus on where I excel and what I do meet. I also focus on other things that may not be explicitly called out that I think would be valuable. Lastly I emphasize why I want this job or am interested in the company etc.

Douche4Sale fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 20, 2021

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

Unless it's like, a legal requirement (like you need to be an RN or something) just ignore ignore ignore.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah, just don't mention it. Job listing "requirements" are written more like a wish list rather than a list of skills you absolutely must have. If you are missing just one, that's fine.

Be sure to check out the resume and negotiation threads in BFC.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Thank you for the advice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Goon Boots posted:

Yeah, just don't mention it. Job listing "requirements" are written more like a wish list rather than a list of skills you absolutely must have. If you are missing just one, that's fine.

As a general rule, when you see a list of requirements, the ones near the top are more important than the ones near the bottom. If you're missing one of the top two or three it's probably not worth applying, but if you're missing the last one don't give it a second thought.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also, your resume was already binned by whatever hr software they're using if you didn't meet the requirements. The search committee or hiring manager probably doesnt precisely know what was in the job listing anyway. They likely don't know what specific requirements you might be missing, so by the time it makes it to them there's no point in reminding them about any shortcomings you might have.

Plus there's always the weird hiring person who thinks they're a genius and any random thought they have is intellectual gold. Maybe what this risk management group needs is a dispensary assistant manager! Shake things up!

So yeah, don't pay attention to every specific requirement and never admit a single fault in your cover letter.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can people really get blender'd by a helicopter blade?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Baron Porkface posted:

Can people really get blender'd by a helicopter blade?
kind of? two people were decapitated by a helicopter blade on the set of the Twilight Zone movie.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are some ways/products I can use to keep bath water warmer for longer. I like to fall asleep in the tub listening to Blade Runner ambient with the light off.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What are some ways/products I can use to keep bath water warmer for longer. I like to fall asleep in the tub listening to Blade Runner ambient with the light off.
For a few hundred dollars you can buy a tub heater pump that will keep the water hot indefinitely. You could put a space heater in the bathroom to keep the ambient temperature high. I do not believe there are any other non-groverhaus options.

edit: MetaFilter thread which contains all possible answers, including several extremely groverhaus suggestions.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 21, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Probably slightly groverhaus territory, but maybe try covering the tub? Like, a blanket or whatever. Logistics will probably be hard though, and it won't be super effective.

Also just drop a toaster in there and fire it up you coward.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

I have also often wondered about this, and even though I keep coming back to a sous vide as something that sounds right, apparently it's not going to work

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. But house prices in most of the SF Bay Area are over a million. I guess that after living here for a decade, I don't really have a sense of what "normal" prices are any more.

I guess the question then is what I compromise on -- price, climate, distance to civilization, or politics? That's gonna be hard to answer.

McCracAttack posted:

Serious question, what's the worst case scenario if you move to say Austin, TX? What are you worried will happen if you move to a liberal city in a conservative state?

Well, don't I feel silly now?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously, if TooMuchAbstraction every spins back through here I've got an apology ready and waiting. I was catastrophically wrong and their concerns were 100% warranted.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm still here. And I don't think most people could have predicted this sequence of events :stare: No need to apologize. I recommend donating to one of the relief organizations, though, if you haven't already.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well, you were right to be concerned and I was oh so wrong to dismiss those concerns. I'm sorry. Good luck finding a better place to live in... all this.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

It really depends on your field! I am involved in recruiting and I've read maybe 2 cover letters in 5 years? So you know your industry better than me, but were you in softwareI wouldn't say it matters much.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Asked over in the religion thread bu figured I’d put it here too

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Found this in an aged relative's house it's a painting of st George (he's holding a spear and stabbing + trampling a dragon).

Does anyone know what language this is? Is it real or like a heavily stylized text that I just can't parse?

Some sorta Cyrillic?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Gunshow Poophole posted:

That's greek

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Looks like Greek to me, but I'm not entirely sure. The epsilon in the word on the right is reversed, and there's some flourish over the leftmost character that makes me think it's not an Omega. It could be some older Cyrillic or Greek script. You can ask in the Linguistics thread, someone there will probably be familiar enough with it to help you out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525230&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=82

Tenik fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 22, 2021

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gunshow Poophole posted:

St George is the patron saint of Georgia (the country) and they have their own scripts there for the Georgian language, so it could be one of those?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_scripts

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
My guess is that it's a form of Church Slavonic. The painting itself helps to date and locate it because stylistically it is a dead ringer for the Novgorod school. You can find lots of nigh-identical examples, with the hand of God in the top right, the pose, St. George portrayed as black, the simple background etc. I found examples in more comprehensible Cyrilic where the text looks to be a very close match and it simply reads "Miracle of St. George and (or over) the Dragon".

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is it painted on top of a wood frame? That and the halo makes me think it's an orthodox ikon painting. It should be possible to look at other ikons on google and get an idea of the nationality/language by comparing the script.

Ikons are often Russian in origin, but Georgia or Serbia are also good guesses.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah it’s a thick wooden panel that I think was a shutter or a cabinet maybe, there’s remnants of what would have been joinery. Several people have pointed to old Church Slavonic which i did not know existed.

Cool thanks y’all!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

for whatever reason i cannot find the answer to this question online. whatever, how do i turn off my fios cable box? i don't really use it and it's just absorbing power. would like to shut it down when it's not in use but it always seems to be on!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If it's anything like other cable boxes I've had, you'll have to plug it into an easily accessible power strip and turn off the strip whenever you're not using it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What's the best way to figure out how much energy your house is using and its maximum draw? This is for generator purposes.

This seems a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the best way to figure out how much energy your house is using and its maximum draw? This is for generator purposes.

This seems a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.
Ask the electrician you’re hiring to install the cut-off/transfer switch what size you need is the easy answer.

Most people don’t run their entire house on a generator because whole house generators are much more expensive. Pick a few important things you need and run those. Fridge/freezer, AC, microwave, maybe a few lights and outlets, but probably not the washer/dryer, electric stove, etc. Look at the labels for all those things and figure up the total wattage (voltage x rated amperage= required wattage) of everything you want to run simultaneously and find an appropriately sized generator. You can save quite a bit by not running everything at once-if you need to use the microwave for 5 minutes, you can unplug the fridge while you use it and not have to use as large a generator. This page seems decent: https://generatoradvisor.com/what-size-generator-do-i-need/

There’s a wiring thread in HCH that may be able to offer more specifics:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739