Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it could work as a trailer for a space movie if it was a comedy but a serious space movie would have ominous bass tones leading into a cinematic cover of a 90's alt rock hit

also the waves would be more threatening and the opening of the capsule would have a less silly sound effect. it would go like "vrwwwwrarr ka-chunk" instead of "papffffffpa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

dokmo posted:

if you ask the google assistant "what are my reminders" this should show you how to manage the one you want to change.
Nope. I've asked about reminders, alarms, timers, routines, any phrasing I can thing of, it claims there are none. I've looked through the Google home app too, since I thought it would be a routine or reminder, but it's not listed there. It's driving me nuts.

Edit: found the loving thing, it's a "family bell" in the Google assistant settings. Because clearly there need to be five loving places to do the same thing in different ways.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 24, 2021

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

1) Can you transcribe the exact message/interaction?

2) Have you ever used a service like if-this-then-that to setup custom commands?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Trapick posted:

Edit: found the loving thing, it's a "family bell" in the Google assistant settings. Because clearly there need to be five loving places to do the same thing in different ways.

oh jesus i remember i had the same loving problem a few years ago, that thing drove me nuts.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Can anyone tell me what RSF means in the context of new subforums here? For example RSF The Great Space Space.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Flakey posted:

Can anyone tell me what RSF means in the context of new subforums here? For example RSF The Great Space Space.

I believe it's "Rotating SubForum". See the Rotating Sub-Forum entry of SAclopedia for background info.

As an aside, "The Great Space Space" is a play on "The Great Race Space" (itself a play on the space race and related media, I assume), which was the former name of The Minority Rapport (a play on The Minority Report) that you can still (at the time of writing) see abbreviated in its rules thread.

dirby fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 25, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mother in law had this result of a Facebook scam of some unknown cause:
1. She was locked out of her real account.
2. She was signed into a new Facebook account with her name but the wrong picture.

Has anyone seen this before? I was able to get her back into the real account but what’s the point of this? Do they hope to trap people in the new account while they continue exploiting the old one? Maybe there is a good write up of Facebook scams somewhere?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the best way to figure out how much energy your house is using and its maximum draw? This is for generator purposes.

This seems a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

https://www.generac.com/for-homeown...AiAAEgKEdPD_BwE

This is for home generators, but should give you idea of what you need for portable.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
What applications are good for taking notes in online courses? I've been using Word using "web view", but it does this annoying thing where it won't center the page on where I'm typing, i.e. I can't scroll past the end of what's been written so I'm constantly forced to type my notes down at the bottom of the screen.

In the Python IDE I've been using for one of the courses I've been taking, I found a check box in settings to "allow scrolling past end of file" that does exactly what I want, but Word doesn't seem to allow this at all.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Most writing apps call the centered writing line "typewriter mode" but Word doesn't have it. I always preferred OneNote for course notes just because I found it easier to organize into sections but ymmv, I'm pretty sure you can scroll wherever in OneNote but I'm on mobile and can't check.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

smackfu posted:

Mother in law had this result of a Facebook scam of some unknown cause:
1. She was locked out of her real account.
2. She was signed into a new Facebook account with her name but the wrong picture.

Has anyone seen this before? I was able to get her back into the real account but what’s the point of this? Do they hope to trap people in the new account while they continue exploiting the old one? Maybe there is a good write up of Facebook scams somewhere?

Facebook accounts with a verifiable real history are less likely to get their shares/comments deleted for botting. Hackers will sell lots of accounts wholesale to whoever wants them. Same thing happens with sim hacks, twitter and insta accounts and so on. The people stealing the account are usually trying to make a quick buck, it's others that are exploiting the accounts.

There's also a black market for cool twitter handles, celebrities' accounts and so on that go for higher prices.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Everett False posted:

Most writing apps call the centered writing line "typewriter mode" but Word doesn't have it. I always preferred OneNote for course notes just because I found it easier to organize into sections but ymmv, I'm pretty sure you can scroll wherever in OneNote but I'm on mobile and can't check.

looks like onenote doesn't do this either lol

i realized i can just jam a bunch of empty lines at the end of the file though , idk why i didn't think of that earlier

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I have a small/stupid question about D&D. I don't play, but as a kid in the 80's, my library had all the books, which I checked out because DRAGONS ARE COOL, so I have an absurd amount of useless knowledge about a game I never played.

What's the best thread in Games to ask a dumb question about D&D? I just wandered over to Games for the first time since the griefing thread existed, didn't see an equivalent of this thread for stupid questions, and don't want to interrupt good discussion with my silly question.

(Or if someone can succintly answer here: how the gently caress do you get a bunch of medieval era-ish guys in a battle with, say, ixitachitls or morkoths or other totally aquatic creatures --- without scuba gear? Everybody in the party gets "breathe underwater" rings, or what? I was just browsing the original AD&D Monster Manual and remembered that that question has plagued me since I was a kid.)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I have a small/stupid question about D&D. I don't play, but as a kid in the 80's, my library had all the books, which I checked out because DRAGONS ARE COOL, so I have an absurd amount of useless knowledge about a game I never played.

What's the best thread in Games to ask a dumb question about D&D? I just wandered over to Games for the first time since the griefing thread existed, didn't see an equivalent of this thread for stupid questions, and don't want to interrupt good discussion with my silly question.

(Or if someone can succintly answer here: how the gently caress do you get a bunch of medieval era-ish guys in a battle with, say, ixitachitls or morkoths or other totally aquatic creatures --- without scuba gear? Everybody in the party gets "breathe underwater" rings, or what? I was just browsing the original AD&D Monster Manual and remembered that that question has plagued me since I was a kid.)
You're looking for the Trad Games forum. The general chat thread is always down for some D&D Q&A.

Yeah for an underwater adventure to work everyone gets breath underwater rings or spells cast on them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To expand slightly: even playing a have like D&D, the only limit is literally your imagination. You just make up a story and you can choose to put in whatever dumb poo poo you want, with the monsters from the books being premade obstacles to put in. You could do dwarven submarine, spells to breathe underwater, a wizard letting the marine monsters fly or even just have them in suspended bubbles of water.

Realistically, you just use orcs and dragons though, since anything that involves moving vertically is hard to do with minis.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Realistically, you just use orcs and dragons though, since anything that involves moving vertically is hard to do with minis.

One of the nice things about roll20 is that you have 3 meters you can attach to every unit, which is more than you usually need. So it's not too hard to repurpose one as an altitude meter. My DM did that in our last session when we were fighting a beholder.

We still had to do Pythagoras to get the range to target, mind you. But that's not too bad, since you can use the ingame ruler to get the horizontal distance.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What do we use for easy free image uploading these days? Imgur wants me to make an account

2. how do i find out what's taking up my hard drive space in windows 10? there are a couple programs i found but the download links look sketchy/site is "insecure"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mescal posted:

What do we use for easy free image uploading these days? Imgur wants me to make an account

2. how do i find out what's taking up my hard drive space in windows 10? there are a couple programs i found but the download links look sketchy/site is "insecure"

1. Postimages.org
2. windirstat

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Mescal posted:

The de facto ones that have been around for some time are "WinDirStat" or "TreeSize". If you get the portable versions it won't install anything on your system.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I like imgbb.com and postimages.com

imgbb even works on my phone!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the nice things about roll20 is that you have 3 meters you can attach to every unit, which is more than you usually need. So it's not too hard to repurpose one as an altitude meter. My DM did that in our last session when we were fighting a beholder.

We still had to do Pythagoras to get the range to target, mind you. But that's not too bad, since you can use the ingame ruler to get the horizontal distance.

At first I was like "3m of what?" before I realised you meant meter as in "gauge", not meter as in "metre".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Right, yes, I can see how that could be confusing. Whoops! :v:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

At first I was like "3m of what?" before I realised you meant meter as in "gauge", not meter as in "metre".

3 meter wire has got to be like 50/0 gauge!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Slimy Hog posted:

1. Postimages.org
2. windirstat

FreshFeesh posted:

The de facto ones that have been around for some time are "WinDirStat" or "TreeSize". If you get the portable versions it won't install anything on your system.

I've found WizTree to be better/faster at this and have used it for the last two years or so.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mescal posted:

Go to imgur dot com slash upload and drag your images onto that page in any modern browser and there's no need for an account. I just tested this with Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

Also RIP Spacemonger, you were the coolest visualisation tool for hard drive space. I even bought the full program, but the developer abandoned it sometime around Win7.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've found WizTree to be better/faster at this and have used it for the last two years or so.

Yeah wiztree is super fast and you can use the self-contained portable version so you don't have to install anything.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FCKGW posted:

Yeah wiztree is super fast and you can use the self-contained portable version so you don't have to install anything.

"Wiz tree", you say?

https://gunshowcomic.com/471

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We have to have a computer chair thread somewhere, do we? I'm thinking of using my refund/stimulus to buy an actually high quality chair and not some 70 dollar amazon basics one that I replace every 3 years

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Since A/T seems to have more knowledge in electronics than the Product Rec thread in PYF, I might as well ask this here first.

I have a birthday coming up and I’m trying to get (back) into building electronics and circuitry. I already got a goon-recommended soldering station for Christmas, and now I’m trying to pick up some other tools like a benchtop power supply, a function generator, a digital oscilloscope, and eventually some sort of circuit modelling program like LabView or something. I have a bit of experience using all of these from college — oddly, despite me majoring in electronics-related things, I’m still not great at understanding them, which is part of the reason I want to get some additional hands-on experience with them at home with whatever COVID-related free time I have left — but I could use some product recs for a good home setup.

First up is the power supply. The Korad KD3005D is pretty affordable and has good online reviews, but would I be better off going with something pricier that has multiple outputs like a Siglent SPD3303C or SPD3303X-E? Or is there another benchtop supply unit out there that goons like?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 26, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leal posted:

We have to have a computer chair thread somewhere, do we? I'm thinking of using my refund/stimulus to buy an actually high quality chair and not some 70 dollar amazon basics one that I replace every 3 years

Yes

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&perpage=40&noseen=1

Basic advice is find an office liquidation store and buy a used Steelcase Leap or some sort of Herman Miller.

If you wanna buy new that’s fine but office chairs have gotten scarce and expensive due to WFH

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Leal posted:

We do, indeed! In SH/SC.

EDIT: ^^^ gently caress just barely beaten

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cheers to the both of ya

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Since A/T seems to have more knowledge in electronics than the Product Rec thread in PYF, I might as well ask this here first.
There's https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977, which might have the specific breed of nerd that will be most helpful in this case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I believe the official rule for this is that the length of the hypotenuse of a right-angle triangle is equal to the length of whichever of the other two sides is longer. So if an enemy is 35' east and 20' north of you, it's 35' away. The same ruling applies in three dimensions, so if it's 35' east, 20' north, and 50' up, it's 50' away. It's absurd but it saves having to pull out a calculator.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I. M. Gei posted:

I have a birthday coming up and I’m trying to get (back) into building electronics and circuitry.
Learning electronics thread in diy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I believe the official rule for this is that the length of the hypotenuse of a right-angle triangle is equal to the length of whichever of the other two sides is longer. So if an enemy is 35' east and 20' north of you, it's 35' away. The same ruling applies in three dimensions, so if it's 35' east, 20' north, and 50' up, it's 50' away. It's absurd but it saves having to pull out a calculator.

While this is true in reality, if you're using the default rules in D&D (4th or 5th edition), each square of movement is 5', regardless of whether it is lateral or diagonal movement, so if an enemy is 35' east and 20' north of you, it 35' of movement away; if it's also 50' up, it's 50' of movement away. Spell templates may be a different story (I haven't played a ton of 5th edition, but I remember the spell templates being wonky).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trapick posted:

There's https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977, which might have the specific breed of nerd that will be most helpful in this case.

Yeah I uhh... can’t really go to that thread right now. As for why not, you should go ask Kaiser Schnitzel because he can tell you better than I could. By which I mean, whenever I try to talk about it myself I get so angry that I can’t form coherent thoughts or sentences because it’s all such complete and utter bullshit. I actually had to take a couple of benzos just to calm myself down enough to be able to type this post at all.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 26, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a good free mp4 -> mp3 batch conversion tool? In the process of swapping from foobar2000 to itunes it won't play mp4 files, and I require more music. Googling this is just getting me into free trial/premium product stuff.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a good free mp4 -> mp3 batch conversion tool? In the process of swapping from foobar2000 to itunes it won't play mp4 files, and I require more music. Googling this is just getting me into free trial/premium product stuff.
I've been using this gui frontend for ffmpeg because it had a portable version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there an investing/stock market forum?