Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I just took a home sleep apnea test and the experience sucked balls. It took me four hours to fall asleep with the device on; and then I slept for only three hours (recommended is 4+). I woke up with my legs sweating and my throat tight. Do I have the apnea? What medicine should I take in the interim while I wait for my test results?

Don't take medical advice from strangers on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grouchio posted:

I just took a home sleep apnea test and the experience sucked balls. It took me four hours to fall asleep with the device on; and then I slept for only three hours (recommended is 4+). I woke up with my legs sweating and my throat tight. Do I have the apnea? What medicine should I take in the interim while I wait for my test results?

Go check out the apnea thread.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Badger of Basra posted:

Besides English and Japanese, what are other languages that have a lot of video games produced natively? What I mean by that is, the game is developed and released in that language rather than being translated from something else. Sorry for the poor wording, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.

I assume Chinese is one, but I wasn't sure about others. Like I know Ubisoft is a French studio but it seems like they just make most of their games in English.

Korean, though many studios in South Korea make games in English. The Korean-language games seem mostly to be visual novels/dating sims or phone games, though apparently there are some Korean-language MMORPGs as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
While it has already been mentioned, the Chinese language sphere also has its own (fairly giant) market of video games. Most of it never gets translated, but they make tons of games - not the least of which are mobile games. If you own an Android phone, you have hundreds to thousands of Chinese-made games available to you at all times.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Talk to whoever gave you the take home test. If you do have apnea you *probably* shouldn't take certain sleeping pills, generally speaking, as they can be dangerous.

FYI I found the sleep monitoring thing was considerably less comfortable than the actual CPAP mask, so don't get discouraged just by that experience.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Badger of Basra posted:

Besides English and Japanese, what are other languages that have a lot of video games produced natively? What I mean by that is, the game is developed and released in that language rather than being translated from something else. Sorry for the poor wording, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.

I assume Chinese is one, but I wasn't sure about others. Like I know Ubisoft is a French studio but it seems like they just make most of their games in English.

A lot of tedious sims (Euro truck manager, farming manager) are from Germany, so those may be German first, but some might also be developed in German and English concurrently

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

EricBauman posted:

A lot of tedious sims (Euro truck manager, farming manager) are from Germany, so those may be German first, but some might also be developed in German and English concurrently
Speaking as a local, no software made in Germany is written or developed in German first these days if there is even the slightest expectation of selling it on the international market at some point. It's just more sensible to plan for it from the get-go.

VVV Very good point, yeah. There's just no point to not developing bilingually right away.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 1, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking as a local, no software made in Germany is written or developed in German first these days if there is even the slightest expectation of selling it on the international market at some point. It's just more sensible to plan for it from the get-go.

German and American companies also can operate in the other country as if they were a domestic company tax wise and enjoy some other easement of business hurdles. If a German company thinks they MIGHT sell in America that gets incorporated into the project like day 1

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Hello everyone,

Can anyone direct me to a thread here where I can ask a question about a rose I purchased from a florist? I would like to know about the quality of the flower so anyone that prepares roses as gifts would be useful.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Extra row of tits posted:

Hello everyone,

Can anyone direct me to a thread here where I can ask a question about a rose I purchased from a florist? I would like to know about the quality of the flower so anyone that prepares roses as gifts would be useful.
Ther horticulture thread in HCH is where all the cool plant nerds hang out and someone there might be able to help depending on what you want to know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Ther horticulture thread in HCH is where all the cool plant nerds hang out and someone there might be able to help depending on what you want to know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612

Thank you, I’ll ask there.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How do cockatoos (and other social, extremely screamy birds) not go deaf from all the noise?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

How do cockatoos (and other social, extremely screamy birds) not go deaf from all the noise?

Humans go deaf from noise because it damages cells in our ears and those cells do not grow back if they die.

In birds they grow back, so they don't suffer permanent heading damage from loud noises.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Khizan posted:

Humans go deaf from noise because it damages cells in our ears and those cells do not grow back if they die.

In birds they grow back, so they don't suffer permanent heading damage from loud noises.
:aaaaa:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khizan posted:

That's amazing! Also, this must mean that there are bird audiologists trying to reverse engineer a way to let humans regenerate the same way.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

We have a CPAP machine which is no longer needed. Are there any charities which will accept a CPAP, clean it, and refurbish it for the needy? We're in Canada (Ontario to be precise). Selling it seems iffy and I'd like to see it get used by someone who needs it. If there's a better place to ask, please let me know.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want to ask: Are we (the people of the globe) doing a better job at paying attention and taking action against Climate Change now in 2021, compared to 2018?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I want to ask: Are we (the people of the globe) doing a better job at paying attention and taking action against Climate Change now in 2021, compared to 2018?

Man if ever there was a :can: post itt

Since 2018 it's hard to say. Let's go by decade. Since 2010 I'd say we've upgraded from an F to a D-, maybe even a D, so technically yes but still not great.

e: to elaborate a bit, I'd say some genuinely good (but probably insufficient) things were set into motion worldwide a decade ago but by their nature they are slow moving, and they have progressed steadily, which is surely better then them not happening.

This is mostly a global perspective, to say little of the US in particular which changes by its own batshit insane political winds

alnilam fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 3, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I've been wondering if the lockdowns last year made any discernible difference. We all saw the pictures of the clear canals in Venice, but was there much of an overall drop in emissions worldwide, with less traffic and fewer planes flying?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I've been wondering if the lockdowns last year made any discernible difference. We all saw the pictures of the clear canals in Venice, but was there much of an overall drop in emissions worldwide, with less traffic and fewer planes flying?

Well yes, but actually no.

Pandemic-Driven Drop in CO2 Emissions Imperceptible in Atmosphere: Sustained reductions are needed to halt the buildup of heat-trapping greenhouse gases

COVID curbed carbon emissions in 2020 — but not by much

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

People were never the problem when it comes to emissions. Corporations that just plain do not give a poo poo if they end all human life with their profiteering are, and those didn't stop for the pandemic.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I certainly think corporations bear the brunt of blame since they are also the ones who can best afford to change. But individuals also love to cite things like that to weasel out of their own responsibility, especially wrt cars, which are the second biggest source of emissions in the US at about 20%.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

alnilam posted:

I certainly think corporations bear the brunt of blame since they are also the ones who can best afford to change. But individuals also love to cite things like that to weasel out of their own responsibility, especially wrt cars, which are the second biggest source of emissions in the US at about 20%.

I disagree with this. In America you cannot get anywhere without a car thanks to no public transit. No trains, no buses, nothing. Owning a car is a requirement and not the fault of the individual.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I disagree with this. In America you cannot get anywhere without a car thanks to no public transit. No trains, no buses, nothing. Owning a car is a requirement and not the fault of the individual.

Funnily enough this is due in part to the car companies

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

People also could buy more efficient cars and not the absolute biggest SUVs that can be made.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I work with greenhouse gas numbers for a living and i volunteer with transit and bike/ped advocacy groups in my free time, what you say is true for some people but trust me when I say that a lot of people could drive a lot less without changing where they live or work. "Americans are lazy and selfish" should not be a controversial statement.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

alnilam posted:

I work with greenhouse gas numbers for a living and i volunteer with transit and bike/ped advocacy groups in my free time, what you say is true for some people but trust me when I say that a lot of people could drive a lot less without changing where they live or work. "Americans are lazy and selfish" should not be a controversial statement.

Oh no doubt, a lot of people drive for things that really aren't necessary. The interesting part is that corporations reinforce the narrative out of proportion to reality. A good example is how anti-litter campaigns were funded by corporate interests from the 50s onwards because they wanted to draw attention away from legislation that would impact their bottom line: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2006/05/origins-anti-litter-campaigns/

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

This post is really the be all end all of the global warming/responsibility/likely-hood of change debate. Actually click this link and scroll down to the list. And this isn't even a "corporations are bad" perspective.

Look at the top 10. They're over 1/3 of all green house gases. Only 2 of those are not directly run by their respective governments.

The article even suggesting that wealthy companies are in a good position to change its model because it's a wealthy company is so ridiculous and stupid I'm not even sure how to approach it. Gazprom is one of the companies they list. It pumps out fossil fuels and turns them into money. It really has no other purpose. The only investor is really gives a poo poo about is the Russian government. That's what Gazprom is for. It's their to manage fossil fuel sales to buoy the Russia government so they don't have to grow their economy in other areas, and can just manage the whole drat thing from the top down.

Their entire state, as things stand now, depends on those sales. Even if all of the wealthy western nations snap their fingers and stop all green house gas emissions in an instant, those governments are going to attempt to pump more, and sell at a lower price to make up for the shortfalls in those sales. They're not going to reform.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm subscribed to audible. I want to sort all of its audiobooks by length so I can see the longest books in the entire collection - the 100+ hour beasts.

This was inspired by spotting this complete works of Shakespeare and wondering what else they have that's so insanely long.

The problem is, audible won't let me do this? If I sort by length it shows the shortest first and doesn't show the whole set. Help?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Quoting from Reddit:

quote:

When you search for something by running time you'll notice this URL parameter appears &sort=runtime-asc-rank

For example:

https://www.audible.com/search?keywords=fiction&sort=runtime-asc-rank

Just change the word "asc" to "desc". So: &sort=runtime-desc-rank

For example:

https://www.audible.com/search?keywords=fiction&sort=runtime-desc-rank
Hope it works for you.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm subscribed to audible. I want to sort all of its audiobooks by length so I can see the longest books in the entire collection - the 100+ hour beasts.

This was inspired by spotting this complete works of Shakespeare and wondering what else they have that's so insanely long.

The problem is, audible won't let me do this? If I sort by length it shows the shortest first and doesn't show the whole set. Help?

On the (UK, desktop) website at least I was able to do: Advanced Search -> Duration -> 20 Hours + -> Search -> Sort by runtrime -> scroll down, click last page of search results.
The longest running was "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" at 126.5 hours - if anyone wonders

EFB by something more useful

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 3, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Perfect, thank you both! -- holy poo poo all of Dragnet is on here, this owns!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
At my work we keep trash cans in the women's toilet stalls for tampons/trash, but a lot of women think this means they can't flush the toilet paper. It gets real gross.

I'm putting "This paper is flushable" stickers on the TP dispensers. What's a good spanish translation for this?

Google translate says "este papel es desechable" but some other sites have said flushable isn't directly translatable. Also not sure if papel can be used to mean toilet tissue.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd just go with a verb. "Este papel higiénico se puede tirar." Something like that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

At my work we keep trash cans in the women's toilet stalls for tampons/trash, but a lot of women think this means they can't flush the toilet paper. It gets real gross.

I'm putting "This paper is flushable" stickers on the TP dispensers. What's a good spanish translation for this?

Google translate says "este papel es desechable" but some other sites have said flushable isn't directly translatable. Also not sure if papel can be used to mean toilet tissue.

I picture is also worth a thousand words. Show a picture of toilet paper going into the toilet with a green check on the doors, and next to the basket, a picture of toilet paper going into the basket with one prohibition sign over it (the circle and strike).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell me what the gently caress I can do to actually clean the inside of a toaster oven, to the point of making it look really good. There's grime and scorch marks in there and vinegar and baking soda don't seem to do jack poo poo.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Tell me what the gently caress I can do to actually clean the inside of a toaster oven, to the point of making it look really good. There's grime and scorch marks in there and vinegar and baking soda don't seem to do jack poo poo.

I've had success with oven cleaner followed by a through "rinse", meaning I wipe it down over and over again with a wet paper towel or rag

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm trying to find an old thread, I'm fairly sure it's from SA. It was about the OP starting to breed rabbits for food, and their whole tale of doing so. They documented the whole saga really well, had lots of photographs - I specifically remember the device they used to (humanely) kill the rabbits, was a metal crook that got bolted to a tree. Was really interesting, but I have no idea where it's located, and searching "rabbit" in PI doesn't narrow much down. Can anybody help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
On the British show Taskmaster, a surprising number of contestants are afraid of balloons or unable to blow them up or just have weird issues with them. What's going on over there?