Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Such Fun posted:

What/how is your broth made from? It looks very thick, and tasty.
When I make my own broth I use the left over bones that I save up in the freezer. I leave them on a slow simmer in a cast iron pot for 10-12 hours, and then put it trough a strainer. It’s rich and fatty and cloudy, but not opaque like yours

That's leftovers from making pulled pork! So basically I simmered a pork shoulder for 6-8 hours. Unfortunately I ended up throwing away a lot of the broth while I was getting rid of like three cups of fat, but there's still enough left to do some good soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anybody have experience with Google Pay?

How is it for security/fraud protection?

I would prefer that it use a different password than my gmail, is that possible?

E: Same questions for Venmo I guess

I don't know much about Google Pay but Venmo has no chargebacks or transaction reversals. It should only be used for paying people you trust.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's leftovers from making pulled pork! So basically I simmered a pork shoulder for 6-8 hours. Unfortunately I ended up throwing away a lot of the broth while I was getting rid of like three cups of fat, but there's still enough left to do some good soup.

I’ve never made, or have had, pulled pork. Pulled meat is not a common dish over here, so the kind of cuts you’d use are not widely available. It looks pretty amazing though, if you’re going by the pictures

If you want to get rid of the fat in your broth easily without any waste: put it in the fridge first. The fat will float to the top and form a solid cake you can just take out without any broth

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Why exactly do you remove fat from a broth? Isn't it just extra flavor? When I make spaghetti sauce, I don't drain off the fat from the ground beef and everyone seems to like it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Such Fun posted:

I’ve never made, or have had, pulled pork. Pulled meat is not a common dish over here, so the kind of cuts you’d use are not widely available. It looks pretty amazing though, if you’re going by the pictures

If you want to get rid of the fat in your broth easily without any waste: put it in the fridge first. The fat will float to the top and form a solid cake you can just take out without any broth

Pulled pork is super easy, and you can eat it straight or incorporate it into other dishes (mostly tacos/burritos for me).

Noted re: separating fat. I think I got impatient, since I'd been babysitting this thing all day already :v:

DildenAnders posted:

Why exactly do you remove fat from a broth? Isn't it just extra flavor? When I make spaghetti sauce, I don't drain off the fat from the ground beef and everyone seems to like it.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Depending on what you start off with, your broth can end up with an enormous amount of fat. More than you might want, either for reasons of taste or health.

There is a ton of nutrition (and flavour) in bones that you can get out by simmering them for 6 to 12 hours. A lot of protein, and a lot of fat

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I tried using my regular broth without removing the fat just once. It resulted in a very, very bland and greasy soup. Fat is good, but once you exceed a certain level you just can't taste the other ingredients.

YMMV, I usually use pork/beef bones and leftover chicken carcasses along with a bunch of veggies. Cut down on the animal products and it would be much less fatty.

FCKGW posted:

I don't know much about Google Pay but Venmo has no chargebacks or transaction reversals. It should only be used for paying people you trust.

Thanks!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Point taken about fat and broth. What about for sauces that don't get cold enough for the fat to solidify?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I saw a thing about how mRNA vaccines work, and as I understand it, the mRNA causes [some kind of cells in] your body to produce the spike protein that Covid-19 uses. This isn't virulent because the rest of the viral particle isn't there, but your immune system recognizes it as a foreign and builds immune response. One advantage of this is it allows the vaccine produce to tell the immune system what to target, if you had a natural infection your immune system might target some other part of the virus that would be less effective against Covid-19 variants.

Another suggestion I've seen is that mRNA vaccines could be used to treat Alzheimers by telling the immune system to target plaques that build up in the brain. If those plaques are already in your brain, how would having some other cells produce more plaques let your immune system know they're foreign?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

DildenAnders posted:

Point taken about fat and broth. What about for sauces that don't get cold enough for the fat to solidify?

You mean like your spaghetti sauce?
Depending on the meat you’re using there can be more fat than you’d want. Assuming you’re making the sauce using some type of ground meat: fry up just the meat in a bit of vegetable oil; when done drain off all the juices; place some paper towels over a plate and spread the fried meat on the paper towel.
Continue your recipe as usual.

This will take out a lot of the fat, but also a lot of the flavour

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Crankit posted:

I saw a thing about how mRNA vaccines work, and as I understand it, the mRNA causes [some kind of cells in] your body to produce the spike protein that Covid-19 uses. This isn't virulent because the rest of the viral particle isn't there, but your immune system recognizes it as a foreign and builds immune response. One advantage of this is it allows the vaccine produce to tell the immune system what to target, if you had a natural infection your immune system might target some other part of the virus that would be less effective against Covid-19 variants.

Another suggestion I've seen is that mRNA vaccines could be used to treat Alzheimers by telling the immune system to target plaques that build up in the brain. If those plaques are already in your brain, how would having some other cells produce more plaques let your immune system know they're foreign?

The mRNA doesn’t make your cells produce more plaque.
It makes those cells produce a fragment of plaques that your immune system can pick up, generate a response to, and then enable your immune system to target plaques. This roundabout way is necessary because for some reason our T-cells are unable to latch on to plaques directly.

I hope this makes a bit of sense. Our adaptive immune system is very elegant, but not so elegant that you can explain all of it in a paragraph

Edit: the mitochondrium is the powerhouse of the cell

Such Fun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 17, 2021

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Such Fun posted:

The mRNA doesn’t make your cells produce more plaque.
It makes those cells produce a fragment of plaques that your immune system can pick up, generate a response to, and then enable your immune system to target plaques. This roundabout way is necessary because for some reason our T-cells are unable to latch on to plaques directly.

I hope this makes a bit of sense. Our adaptive immune system is very elegant, but not so elegant that you can explain all of it in a paragraph

OK yeah I think that makes some sense to me, thanks.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Crankit posted:

OK yeah I think that makes some sense to me, thanks.

Do have some background in medicine or science? Because your question was very well put. You already took like nine of the ten steps to get to your answer yourself, which is pretty refreshing in the current vaccine climate

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

mRNA manipulation is super cool and it's been used in research for quite a while.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Any recommendations on the nicest and least expensive way to create wall art?

I'm thinking of finding images and printing them out at like Costco, and Picture Hanging Strips?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The way things are looking in Texas, it looks like we may be in for a rough summer with rolling blackouts.

What are some essentials to have to prepare for a heat wave where we may lose power and AC for stretches of time?

I remember when the winter storm hit, I kicked myself for not getting space heaters when I could still buy them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Keep bottles of water frozen. Supposedly your body's thermostat is in the back of your neck and you should wrap a frozen bottle of water in a towel and put it on the back of your neck to keep cool. I don't know about the science behind it but the method definitely works, made a long summer drive in the Midwest in a car with no a/c actually bearable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If your car situation allows it, get an inverter for your car, a big one that goes right onto the battery terminals. Now that you have a way to get a little power, there’s a lot you can do with it.

Consider an evaporative cooler if you live somewhere dry enough for them to be effective. They can make a big difference in comfort while sipping power. There’s a lot of junk ones that are basically scams. Get something from a brand like Honeywell with a nice big pad for evaporation and a fan that moves a lot of air.

Plain fans can also be a big deal. Put box fans in the windows to pull cool air through the house at night.

How are you for cooking? I don’t know if there will be natural gas supply problems like there were in February, but maybe it will be so. Have some food that doesn’t need to be cooked and/or get a camp stove. Water should be the last thing to fail, but do keep some of that around.

I went through a freezer failure recently. Food in your freezer should survive for a day if you don’t open it. It’ll cool slower the more stuff is in there. Bags or bottles of water are better than empty space. Better yet is if you have ice packs that melt before your food. There are commercial “colder than ice” packs for this, but you can also make your own. Two hundred grams of potassium chloride (sold as low-sodium salt substitute) in a litre of water lowers the freezing point to about fourteen degrees Fahrenheit—low enough to melt before your food, high enough that your freezer can freeze them solid in a day or two while the power is on. Table salt (sodium chloride) works in a pinch, but not as well. Use normal ice for the refrigerator.

You may be able to preserve your food longer by buying dry ice. I don’t know what the dry ice supply situation looks like when there are rolling blackouts, but dry ice saved my bacon when the freezer broke. Even if your power isn’t out for all that long, it’s not exactly unheard of for freezers to break while working hard in a house without air conditioning after a blackout.

If you live in a city of decent size, somewhere in a light industrial area near you there will be a company selling dry ice pellets for under a dollar a pound, which is good because forty pounds (basically a chest cooler full) will be gone in two days. Metalworkers sometimes use dry ice as a cleaning agent, so call welding supply places. You’ll want leather gloves, a scoop, and bags to stuff the pellets into your freezer when you get home.

Get a wireless thermometer that connects to a display on the door or to your phone via Bluetooth so you can understand what conditions are like in there without opening the door to check.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

The way things are looking in Texas, it looks like we may be in for a rough summer with rolling blackouts.

What are some essentials to have to prepare for a heat wave where we may lose power and AC for stretches of time?

I remember when the winter storm hit, I kicked myself for not getting space heaters when I could still buy them.
Having lived through bunches of hurricanes-keep a bunch of ice in your freezer all the time. Bags of ice, frozen water bottles, frozen milk jugs full of water, whatever. Big blocks last longer than small cubes. If you have a second freezer, even better. Open the fridge/freezer as little as possible. You can put a few frozen milk jugs in the fridge to help keep it cool. Stuff in the freezer will last a few days usually, the fridge a day or two depending on how often you open it. If frozen things thaw, don't refreeze them-if they've stayed cold but not frozen, just go ahead and eat them or make a big pot of stew and freeze the stew.

The other option is a small generator. Getting one big enough to run your AC is very expensive, but honda makes some really good quiet ones that will keep your fridge and some fans and maybe microwave going for $1000 or so, and there are probably other, cheaper brands. Not having to worry about the fridge really removes alot of stress for me. Box fans and swamp coolers don't really do any good if you don't have something to power them (maybe an the inverter could run one or two?). With a hurricane you usually have warning and can make sure you've got plenty of gas etc, but idk how much warning there might be with blackouts. Keep your car at least half full all summer? If nothing else, you can charge your phone with it and sit in the AC for a minute. If you get a generator, keep a few gallons of gas around for it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On desktop Chrome how do I turn off the special formatting that some subforums have? Just want everything to look the same

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
My facebook account appears to have been hacked, and submitted a request to facebook to delete itself.

Is there an email or a phone number to contact customer service for facebook? I do not trust the automated reporting of their help center.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grevlek posted:

Is there an email or a phone number to contact customer service for facebook?

lol

No. Absolutely not.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Grevlek posted:

Is there an email or a phone number to contact customer service for facebook? I do not trust the automated reporting of their help center.

Modern tech companies would rather spend hundreds of millions of dollars on trying to automate tech support than they would spend money on paying actual humans to provide tech support.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

When I went through the process of memorializing my dad's account a bit ago I got three emails asking for verification from three different facebook emails, lol.

Aside from that it was surprisingly hassle free, though.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Taeke posted:

When I went through the process of memorializing my dad's account a bit ago I got three emails asking for verification from three different facebook emails, lol.

Aside from that it was surprisingly hassle free, though.

I haven't gotten any follow-up emails. Just an email saying I changed my password from the Netherlands. I clicked to report it wasn't me, but then it took me to the splash page for when your Facebook is locked out.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Grevlek posted:

My facebook account appears to have been hacked, and submitted a request to facebook to delete itself.

This happened to both of my parents recently. Aside from finding a page where we could submit a photo of their driver's licenses to try to prove ownership of their profiles (nothing happened afterwards), we could never figure out any way to get the profiles back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I posted a gas cook-top on Nextdoor after replacing it. Basically no interest for months, and in the last two or three days I've had two different people ask me if it's propane or natural gas. It's a standard kitchen-looking cook-top; nothing camping about it. Do people actually use propane for everyday cooking indoors suddenly?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is wearing a southeast asian style t-shirt as a white guy cultural appropriation even if it's a mere endorsement of their art-style?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Grouchio posted:

Is wearing a southeast asian style t-shirt as a white guy cultural appropriation even if it's a mere endorsement of their art-style?

To certain people yeah probably

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Where did “folx” come from and why aren’t folks using the k?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where did “folx” come from and why aren’t folks using the k?

The internet. Dumb white people think the x makes things inclusive for some reason, that's why they do the latinx thing to whitesplain to latine people how their language is actually sexist and needs to be saved by white people.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It’s literally just less characters than typing out folks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

The internet. Dumb white people think the x makes things inclusive for some reason, that's why they do the latinx thing to whitesplain to latine people how their language is actually sexist and needs to be saved by white people.

That would explain some of the contexts I've seen it in, thanks.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s literally just less characters than typing out folks.

actually its coded racism

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is left-handed writing more common among people whose first language is written from right to left?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hooah posted:

I posted a gas cook-top on Nextdoor after replacing it. Basically no interest for months, and in the last two or three days I've had two different people ask me if it's propane or natural gas. It's a standard kitchen-looking cook-top; nothing camping about it. Do people actually use propane for everyday cooking indoors suddenly?

Yes. Many people in areas that do not have a gas connection have an on-site propane tank that they use for all their heating and cooking needs. The jets on the burners are different depending on the gas you're using.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

Suddenly? This has been a thing for many decades. Not everywhere has natural gas which is a centrally distributed utility. Many more rural places, and even pockets of very built up places where the natural gas utility company has run out of main capacity are running bottles propane. That's what my stove/dryer/water heater runs on.

We're not talking about the tanks you have on your barbecue grill. Think minimum 100 gallons, and sometimes 500 or 1000 gallon buried tanks.

As to whether that stove will run on propane.....as it is now no. Most stove need a different regulator (some regulators can be converted) and different jets. The last stove I bought came with the parts to make it run on either, but good luck finding those for an older stove.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, for some reason I thought those big tanks were also natural gas. That totally makes sense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

Oh, for some reason I thought those big tanks were also natural gas. That totally makes sense.

Natural gas is less energy dense per volume, so if you need to store something in a tank propane is the way to go. This is also the same reason why the stove needs to have a regulator that runs at a different pressure and jets that are smaller to work properly on propane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Two questions about phones (Android).

1: When I get a second call from the same number in a single day, the call log only shows the later one. Is there a way to make it show both?

2: Is there an call recording app that actually works? I tried the two top rated ones I could find on the app store and neither one works - and it's not just me, there are reviews from other people there saying it either doesn't work or used to work but stopped.