Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It would depend on each practicioner's thoughts but I'd say almost certainly, as long as all ingredients check out and there are no prohibitions on weird processing or mixing

A more complicated question would be if they get around to lab grown real meat, which would be real animal tissue but not from any living animal. I imagine there would be a big split of yes and no on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There are passages that encourage rules-lawyering in Judaism, generally they'd be fine with that sort of thing. They even have a word for "rules that we don't have a good reason for but god said it so we do it".

I'm pretty sure that Islam says that pigs are unclean because they eat feces, so I'm sure that at least some muslims would be alright with eating lab-grown meat, and I expect that many or even most would be good with eating imitation meat that's just made out of soy or mushrooms or glutenous protein or whatever they make that stuff out of.

Generally it just depends on who the specific person is, most religions are more personal and community-based in practice, there's not usually like a Catholic Church making the big proclamations about how modern technology and developments apply to their old rules that weren't written with any of that stuff in mind.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you’re in a religion that forbids meat, do they allow practitioners to have the fake meats? Like, Incogmeato brands.
Yes, they're just arbitrary collections of ingredients that resemble meat. Buddhists have been eating seitan for centuries.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you’re in a religion that forbids meat, do they allow practitioners to have the fake meats? Like, Incogmeato brands.

Hop on over to the religion thread, I'm sure this would spark a discussion (we just had one about whether or not there was a food that no religions forbade)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955347

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jainism might be an interesting case.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes, they're just arbitrary collections of ingredients that resemble meat. Buddhists have been eating seitan for centuries.
This. If it's actually tofu then it's actually tofu. Dietary prohibitions usually have something to do with ritual impurity, not what you think the dish is made of, nor with what it looks like.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

This. If it's actually tofu then it's actually tofu. Dietary prohibitions usually have something to do with ritual impurity, not what you think the dish is made of, nor with what it looks like.

In my faith (Eastern Orthodoxy) we fast from animal products for about 30% of the year, and it's not due to ritual impurity, but rather denying yourself and practicing self control + focusing on God instead of what we're eating.

Because of this you're not supposed to look at ingredients lists or anything because doing that can make the fast itself a distraction instead of a tool for getting closer to God.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Fair enough, sorry for generalizing there. There are, of course, religious and social customs that have nothing to do with the animal itself being taboo to eat.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Some religious people might also feel a bit icky about eating something that is only technically okay. I had a Muslim co-worker who didn't eat bacon crisps, even though those in all probability have never contained actual meat. It's mostly symbolic to a lot of people, so I would imagine a large number of people care about the symbolism too.

Jews are famously rules lawyering against God at any opportunity though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For the COVID vaccine with two doses, what happens if you lose the little card after you get the first shot? It seems amazing we are tracking this with paper cards in the year 2021.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

BonHair posted:

Some religious people might also feel a bit icky about eating something that is only technically okay. I had a Muslim co-worker who didn't eat bacon crisps, even though those in all probability have never contained actual meat. It's mostly symbolic to a lot of people, so I would imagine a large number of people care about the symbolism too.

Jews are famously rules lawyering against God at any opportunity though.

I wasn't at my computer for my last few posts so I was too lazy to type this up, but I've had discussions about fake meat with a couple priests and, like everything else in Orthodoxy, it kinda depends....

I can only speak to my experience with Eastern Orthodoxy specifically, so please defer to a priest about all this if you disagree/were told something else/want to know about a different religion

(This topic is particularly relevant to me right now because we're in the second week of Great Lent)

Both priests pretty much said the same thing: fasting isn't really about abstaining from particular food because there's anything inherently wrong/evil/sinful about them, it's about self-denial and getting closer to God; so if eating the meat substitutes keeps us from experiencing the fast in the way it was intended, then we should probably abstain from those as well. On the other hand, if eating the meat substitutes allows us to stay healthy while fasting, then it's a good thing to do. I've even been told that if fasting is easy for you (or if you already abstain from these foods by being Vegan or whatever), then try not spicing your food as much and/or eat fewer meals.

This also goes the other way: if you're pregnant, sick or have health issues, the fast as-is may not be feasible for you, so your priest may have other things you can do to participate in the fast without harming your health.

For the Orthodox, the foods themselves aren't inherently unclean or bad or whatever, it's all about our relationship with God and getting closer to him (fasting from foods is only 1/3 of the protocols for the "fast", we're also supposed to pray and give alms more during these periods).

Me personally? Well I don't just replace all the meat I would normally eat with Seitan/Beyond Burgers/etc, because that just feels like I'm trying to get around and cheat the fast in a way (like BonHair said), but I do eat those things on occasion.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sorry to continue the derail, but I just remembered that I did a non-religious fast last lent (just giving up meat for 40 days), mostly for climate reasons and to prove to myself that I could be a vegetarian. My religious Lutheran co-worker (actual religious people are not that common in Denmark) liked the idea, but mocked me for completely missing the point about denying myself earthly pleasures. All in good fun though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As the person with the original question I encourage this derail, I love reading about religion and personal experiences with it. And the rules lawyering/how it ties in with morality and so on.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Judaism encourages rules lawyering but also has rules around not being seen to be breaking laws and also drawing a ringfence around laws so you aren't even getting close to breaking them - this is how "don't eat a calf in its mother's milk" turns into "don't eat milk and meat together at all." It wouldn't surprise me if there are serious discussions about eating fake pig on those fronts.

For my own part I have such a cultural aversion to pig that when in a fake meat restaurant years ago I thought to myself "oh I should get the fake pork!" and then ended up ordering the fake fish instead because I just couldn't bring myself to do it, even though I'm an atheist and don't believe there's anything spiritually wrong with it as such.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, in that case I would say that we should draw a distinction between religious customs like fasting and dietary taboos here, which do usually revolve around the idea that said food is spiritually impure to consume. They're two different kinds of religious laws that just coincidentally look very similar to each other, basically.

If the custom is basically ascetic, such as the fasting described by Slimy Hog, then there isn't really any problem with the food itself or what it is made from, but rather that you're currently participating in a particular religious observance in which the spirit of the rule matters more than the letter.

If you're not allowed to eat pork because pigs are impure animals, though, then the source of the meat (or whether it's even actually meat at all) does matter, because that impurity is an intrinsic trait of pigs. If you're not allowed to eat meat because it's spiritually harmful to kill animals for food, then there's nothing rules-lawyering about eating something that just resembles meat, because it isn't actually meat and nothing was killed to produce the food.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
On Thursday, I bought something on Ebay, that said guaranteed delivery next day. I chose that one because of the next day delivery. I'd just moved house, and had forgotten to update my address, which I only realised an hour later. I messaged the sender, but it was too late. He'd already sent it. (Which made sense to me since how else could it get there the next day?).

So I phoned UPS and asked them to change the delivery address, which they said they could do, and was fine, and had all gone through.

It didn't arrive the next day. It did say it was subject to delays, fine. Monday rolls around, and a delivery attempt is made at the old address. I didn't get a chance to call them monday, so I called them Tuesday, and they said "Oh yeah, the depot didn't confirm it, I'll change it again now". Meanwhile the package is out for delivery and another attempt at the old house.

I trekked on back to the old place to pick up the 'Sorry we missed you' notes, to get the InfoNotice number so that I could redirect via the websit, or at least set a delivery window so I could be at the old place to collect it? It didn't work.

Now, wednesday, I can see that once again it's headed to the old place, but since I'm working, I can't just go and wait there all day.

Do I have any recourse? I really dont want to pay shipping again.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

As is evident from several great responses to this question, there is a lot of variation in people's motive for abstention from meat and in how they carry it out. Even just on the non-religious side of things, there are people who abstain because they think it's fundamentally wrong to kill an animal, some for environmental reasons, some for dietary reasons (imagined or real), some because they think factory farming is cruel and it's too hard to find nicely-raised meat, some because they simply don't like meat, and even some because they just want to prove to themselves that they can make a big change. There are some who are so absolutist that they won't drink wine if it was finished using trace amounts of an obscure byproduct of the fishing industry, some who wouldn't turn something away if there was a little chicken broth in there or whatever, some who will only eat meat that they raised or hunted themselves, some who will eat a hot dog if they are someone's guest and that person hands it to them (the hospitality exemption) but would never buy one or seek one out. This variety in both practice and in motive is why people trying to "gotcha" vegetarians, religious or not, is always very cringey and dumb.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, in that case I would say that we should draw a distinction between religious customs like fasting and dietary taboos here, which do usually revolve around the idea that said food is spiritually impure to consume.

If you're not allowed to eat pork because pigs are impure animals, though, then the source of the meat (or whether it's even actually meat at all) does matter, because that impurity is an intrinsic trait of pigs.

Hindus abstain from eating beef, not because they view cattle as "impure" but because they are sacred

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 24, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I did say "usually," not "always."

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Can someone provide me with a recommendation for an Online PC FPS game that isn't rife with racial slurring players?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Defenistrator posted:

Can someone provide me with a recommendation for an Online PC FPS game that isn't rife with racial slurring players?

Warframe seemed to have a decent community when I was playing it a few years back.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Deeprock Galactic, surprisingly, has a great player base for a team-based game. Though I may just be lucky with my PUGs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a thread for Dungeons n' Dragons novels ala the Warhammer 40k thread? I'm looking for a nice informative OP that'll tell me what to read in those 'verses, from Drizzt to Dragonlance to other stuff.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Eason the Fifth posted:

Deeprock Galactic, surprisingly, has a great player base for a team-based game. Though I may just be lucky with my PUGs.

Thank you I'll give this bad boy a shot

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Defenistrator posted:

Again maybe lucky but I've never run into that with Apex.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Where is the thread location thread?

I am looking for all the margarita machine threads from way back. I think there were three.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think those were recently discussed in the Greatest Sagas thread over in PYF, you'd probably have better luck asking there. The "Lost SA Stuff" thread is also in PYF.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Manager Hoyden posted:

Where is the thread location thread?

I am looking for all the margarita machine threads from way back. I think there were three.

SAclopedia is helpful for finding those kinds of things too and ahs a page with links to the threads: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1794

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
In Deep Space 9, why do they tolerate Quark? He’s always loving poo poo up in awful greedy ways and someone else, maybe a robot, could run the bar.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Because star trek believes that all conflict can be resolved with words and not really taking a firm stance on much. Thats why they dont have warships and carry noncombatants into basically every battle in its history. Just throwing someone in jail or barring them from the station based on his species specific guiding beliefs would be impossible for them to do.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 28, 2021

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also the station belongs to Bajor, not the Federation, and iirc they kind of like him because he was mildly helpful during the occupation. Sold them food and poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

In Deep Space 9, why do they tolerate Quark? He’s always loving poo poo up in awful greedy ways and someone else, maybe a robot, could run the bar.

The real answer is that he's a fun character. But other than that, the in show reasoning is that he and his bar provide a sense of community on the station, which makes it feel less like a refinery manned by slaves and more like a home and a cool place to stop by.

Also, having all the inevitable crime run through him makes it easier to monitor.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently bought an induction cook top and the instructions say that with a granite countertop, I need to buy a separate granite countertop installation kit. The problem is I can't find any instructions for this kit, so I have no idea what it's supposed to be doing and if it's really necessary (it's loving expensive for 6 pieces of metal and some silicone sealant). Does anyone have any ideas?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Probability question:

Say you have a 7-sided die. You roll it 7 times. 5 times, it lands on 1. How do you calculate the probability of that outcome?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Rabbit Hill posted:

Probability question:

Say you have a 7-sided die. You roll it 7 times. 5 times, it lands on 1. How do you calculate the probability of that outcome?

(1/7)^5 * (6/7)^2 = 0.00004371356

that's for when you get 5 1s in the first 5, then the remaining two rolls are something else.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 28, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't that the probability of it landing on 1 five times in a row? This is an X out of Y question. I used a probability calculator and it tells me that there's a 0.0918 percent chance of any five out of seven dice rolling a 1 at the same time if you roll them all at once, which is the same thing for the purposes of the question.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 28, 2021

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that was fast, thank you!

So that would be a .004% chance of that happening?

E:

Cardiovorax posted:

Isn't that the probability of it landing on 1 five times in a row? This is an X out of Y question. I used a probability calculator and it tells me that there's a 0.000918 percent chance of any five out of seven dice rolling a 1 at the same time if you roll them all at once, which is the same thing for the purposes of the question.

Right -- this is the scenario I meant. So that's a .09% chance?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

Right -- this is the scenario I meant. So that's a .09% chance?
Yes, I just corrected my post because I gave the raw probability there, not the percentage. If I didn't use the calculator wrong, a 0.09% chance of that happening is what you get.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

I recently bought an induction cook top and the instructions say that with a granite countertop, I need to buy a separate granite countertop installation kit. The problem is I can't find any instructions for this kit, so I have no idea what it's supposed to be doing and if it's really necessary (it's loving expensive for 6 pieces of metal and some silicone sealant). Does anyone have any ideas?

What it's supposed to be doing is holding the cooktop into the hole in your countertop. There should be "pockets" or similar on the sides of the cooktop that those fit into, and then you use the adhesive to stick them to the bottom of the cooktop.

Depending on what the cooktop came with you may be able to use or modify the existing brackets for use and just buy the adhesive. If the cabinet it's in is small enough sometimes you can bend the brackets it comes with so it's being attached to the sides of the cabinet rather than the bottom of the counter.

And....not that I'm suggesting it, but a bead of silicone around the lip of it on top, which you probably want to do for purposes of finishing anyway, is going to hold it in place without any of the brackets if your rough opening isn't hilariously oversized.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Probability question:

The number of ones you get from rolling seven seven-sided dice follows a binomial distribution with n = 7 and p = 1/7. The probability of getting exactly five ones is what Cardiovorax calculated.