Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

alnilam posted:

Press conferences of government officials have tended to always have an ASL interpreter on screen lately. I'm glad of it, but I have to wonder, is there any reason not to just use subtitles/closed captioning? Is it because it's live and it's easier to have an interpreter than a live captioner?

Not everyone whose native language is ASL can read typed English as quickly as they can understand ASL, and ASL interpreters can work much more quickly than even the quickest live captioners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

regulargonzalez posted:

Some thoughts:

You might be smelling it more strongly at night for several reasons that don't include the flower actually creating more scent at night: you're less preoccupied with work / activities at night, there is less traffic and so less exhaust odor that might mask the scent, less traffic driving through also means the air itself will be more still and so the scent can linger.

It's always tough to describe scents precisely -- we don't have a very good grammar for it, especially if you're not a perfumier or something. That said, your description reminded me of honeysuckle (which is a really great scent).
In addition to all of the above, many flowers have their strongest scent in the late afternoon/evening, and most plants seem to have a particular time of day (not always evening) when they smell strongest.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

In addition to all of the above, many flowers have their strongest scent in the late afternoon/evening, and most plants seem to have a particular time of day (not always evening) when they smell strongest.

Is this because of the type of pollinators they're trying to attract?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

artsy fartsy posted:

Is this because of the type of pollinators they're trying to attract?

Maybe! The collection of numerous flower characteristics (size, color, scent, time of opening, just to name a few) come together to form a pollination syndrome, in which the characteristics line up with whatever vectors, living or non-living, they coevolved with to facilitate pollination.

If a flower is stinky it's probably pollinated by flies or beetles. Big and (usually) red? Hummingbirds. Bright and can be seen from afar? Bees. Exposed and produces a fuckton of tiny, dry pollen grains? Wind.

Flowers that are open in late evening or at night tend to be pollinated by moths or bats. Most other would-be pollinators don't tend to be active at this time. Other characters typical of a moth syndrome include large white petals, which are better to see at night, deep nectary tubes to accommodate moth proboscis, and a strong sweet scent.

A flower like that could be what you're looking for, Such Fun. Anything around you that might match that description? The flowers would likely be closed during the day if that's the case. You said you live fairly high up in an apartment building? I doubt what you're smelling is coming from the ground. Do any of your neighboring balconies have flower pots?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 1, 2021

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

TheLastManStanding posted:

Linden trees bloom at the beginning of summer and are known for being very potent.

Okay, yes. It’s the linden trees, I’m quite certain now.
Describing scents can be hard indeed, and the adjective I was lacking was ‘cummy’.

I’ve talked to several irl people about this mysterious and enchanting fragrance last year, and I don’t think I’ll be bringing up the subject again.

But those cummies smelled real good.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

lovely snype: Do I have to ask a another stupid question?

You just did
GOTCHA!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Is there such a thing as a 3rd party gamepad for a computer that's just like an xbox controller only its buttons don't fail after only a few years?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Is there such a thing as a 3rd party gamepad for a computer that's just like an xbox controller only its buttons don't fail after only a few years?

There are good third party controllers, but in my experience none of them are cheaper than just buying a legit Xbox controller. All of my attempts to save money by going for cheaper third-party controllers can be described by the statement "I didn't want to spend $60, so I spent $30 on the offbrand version instead, and now I have spent $90."

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Khizan posted:

There are good third party controllers, but in my experience none of them are cheaper than just buying a legit Xbox controller. All of my attempts to save money by going for cheaper third-party controllers can be described by the statement "I didn't want to spend $60, so I spent $30 on the offbrand version instead, and now I have spent $90."

Nono, I mean I want to spend like twice as much and have it last twice as long before it fails. My Xbox controllers keep failing, and it's annoying replacing them.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Nono, I mean I want to spend like twice as much and have it last twice as long before it fails. My Xbox controllers keep failing, and it's annoying replacing them.

https://youtu.be/oaaUOQ0wbgU

Like, that’s not the world we’re living in

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can anyone recommend any good kids' Arthurian tv/movies?

My son asked so we watched The Sword in the Stone and while it had its moments, wtf Disney?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

My Xbox controllers keep failing, and it's annoying replacing them.

This is an incredibly niche experience that I feel you might be on your own in having. I have a 360 controller I bought in 2009 that I have to clean every now and then because my kids constantly have dirty hands, and it's completely fine.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can a cordless xbox360 controller sync to an xbox1 pc dongle?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mine only seem to last three or four years before one of the buttons goes :(

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Can anyone recommend any good kids' Arthurian tv/movies?

My son asked so we watched The Sword in the Stone and while it had its moments, wtf Disney?

How old is your kid?
Cause I’m kind of inclined to say ‘none’. But it mostly depends on your metric of ‘good Arthurian’. Are you basing it on accuracy, or age appropriateness?
Did your kid have fun watching The Sword in the Stone?

Edit: you know what, I don’t really know enough of what’s out there to say there’s probably none. The Arthurian Cycle is the paradigm of storytelling, and I hope you’re gonna get some great recommendations to share with your son

Such Fun fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 1, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Hyperlynx posted:

Stop playing Mario Party.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chubby Henparty posted:

Can a cordless xbox360 controller sync to an xbox1 pc dongle?

I know you can't connect a X1 controller to an X360 dongle, it's probably safe to assume it doesn't work the other way either.

Also, loving hell Microsoft, why didn't you just call them the xbox 1, xbox 2, xbox 3 etc etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Memento posted:

Also, loving hell Microsoft, why didn't you just call them the xbox 1, xbox 2, xbox 3 etc etc.

“XBOX 360” got a “3” into the name against the competing “PlayStation 3”, and that was a great success.

The idea behind “XBOX One” was that people had frequently abbreviated the name of the old console to “the 360”. Microsoft thought if they named the new console “XBOX One”, people would call it “the One”, and how cool would that be?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Such Fun posted:

How old is your kid?
Cause I’m kind of inclined to say ‘none’. But it mostly depends on your metric of ‘good Arthurian’. Are you basing it on accuracy, or age appropriateness?
Did your kid have fun watching The Sword in the Stone?

6 - he liked it (like the wizard's battle and when Wart suddenly has to find a sword for Kay) but I think he'd rather see something about knights going on adventures and battles and then build an encyclopedic network of which knight goes where and is related to who (this all started from watching The Sword and the Scoob and now he has absolute certainty of Shaggy's place in the canon).

He's liked Elena of Avalor and I can see if I can find Prince Valiant, maybe that's the closest it gets.

Memento posted:

I know you can't connect a X1 controller to an X360 dongle, it's probably safe to assume it doesn't work the other way either.

Fair enough, cheers.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

“XBOX 360” got a “3” into the name against the competing “PlayStation 3”, and that was a great success.

The idea behind “XBOX One” was that people had frequently abbreviated the name of the old console to “the 360”. Microsoft thought if they named the new console “XBOX One”, people would call it “the One”, and how cool would that be?

That’s a fun bit of folklore for ya’ll

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I have no primary sources attesting to it.

I just heard it once and instantly and unquestioningly believe it because that exactly the kind of thing they would do.

Contemporary explanations are nonsense like this.

quote:

Xbox One might sound chronologically incorrect, seeing as it’s Microsoft’s third home console, but exec Jeff Henshaw has shed more light on how the company came up with the name.

Speaking with CNET, Henshaw said, “The original Xbox was just the ‘Xbox’, it wasn’t ‘One'”.

When asked if the ‘One’ part might cause confusion, Henshaw continued, “But this vernacular formed where people referred to it as the Xbox. Even today during interviews, I’ve slipped. It only takes a little while before you realize what’s going on underneath that name.

“There’s something very powerful about it. Xbox One really embodies the concept that this is the first device, the combination of this very powerful console that brings all its eight cores, 8GB of RAM, super fast memory, super powerful SoC we built, super powerful dedicated audio and video processing subsystems. There’s incredible power in this device, married with the next generation of Kinect for really enabling those subtle interactions between you and your entertainment”.

He added that Xbox One is, “The embodiment that this becomes one device that addresses all the entertainment that you want to enjoy on your TV, and brings it to you in a way that’s so simple, that it can be the only input you have connected through your television. It is truly the one place to go for all this. So One ends up being a deeply meaningful thing to us here. It’s almost a bar that we are striving to achieve, and I think we nailed it really well with the Xbox One.”

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

6 - he liked it (like the wizard's battle and when Wart suddenly has to find a sword for Kay) but I think he'd rather see something about knights going on adventures and battles and then build an encyclopedic network of which knight goes where and is related to who (this all started from watching The Sword and the Scoob and now he has absolute certainty of Shaggy's place in the canon).

He's liked Elena of Avalor and I can see if I can find Prince Valiant, maybe that's the closest it gets.

I remember seeing some of the Prince Valiant episodes as a kid and being absolutely mystified by it. I was old enough to pick up that a lot of it was alluding to some bigger story you were supposed to know, but I didn’t actually know this story at all. So I was left not understanding what was going on, but also having the feeling that whatever was going on was really cool.
So no real recommendations from me, but I think your son is gonna love watching any version of the legend with you there to talk about it

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Such Fun posted:

I remember seeing some of the Prince Valiant episodes as a kid and being absolutely mystified by it. I was old enough to pick up that a lot of it was alluding to some bigger story you were supposed to know, but I didn’t actually know this story at all. So I was left not understanding what was going on, but also having the feeling that whatever was going on was really cool.
So no real recommendations from me, but I think your son is gonna love watching any version of the legend with you there to talk about it

Hope so, thanks :) Am looking out for younger kids' versions of TOAFK or similar to read through with him as well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Speaking with CNET, Henshaw said, “The original Xbox was just the ‘Xbox’, it wasn’t ‘One'”.

The original PlayStation wasn't the PlayStation 1 either, it was just the PlayStation, but they got with the program. No wonder Sony have been eating Microsoft's lunch for the past three generations.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Hope so, thanks :) Am looking out for younger kids' versions of TOAFK or similar to read through with him as well.

It’s not the Arthurian Cycle, but it is alike in many ways: The Brothers Lionheart, by Astrid Lindgren. It’s an epic phantasy novel for young children that has a lot of the same themes. It was one of my favourite books as a kid, and I can’t recommend it enough.
I think you ought to read it by yourself first and assess if your kid is old enough though. I read it at ten years old without an adult to talk about it, and it was probably a bit too much.*

* It’s an incredible primer for kids to learn about pain, loss, and death, as well as the nature of stories. An amazing resource, but maybe not yet for a 6 year old

Such Fun fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 1, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Funny you mention that, last week we were trawling Prime and found the 1st episode of the Ronja, the Robber's Daughter anime. If its anything like that ("kitchen-sink fantasy"?) and from a look at the summary its definitely something I'll file away until he's a bit older to recommend, like the Alanna series, if he's keen.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I can’t ever find anything other than prime-exclusives or z-tier schlock on prime, and you’re telling me there’s a Ronja de Roversdochter anime on there?

I’m kinda afraid to look because I’d hate to see it suck. That book was a staple for kids my generation. It’s intended audience is also about 2/3 years older than The Brothers Lionheart

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Yep - found it through the free-to-play lists on the kids' profile. Hope you like it!

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Yep - found it through the free-to-play lists on the kids' profile. Hope you like it!

Did not. 0/10 would not recommend. Ghoulish and ghastly and just bizarre.
Astrid Lindgren’s books are not at all like this. The anime has these overly cutesy infantile characters that end up in horrible situations. I got pretty uncomfortable watching some of it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chubby Henparty posted:

This might be a mite old for him yet but check out The Lost Years of Merlin by TA Barron. They're about Merlin, obv, in his late childhood to teen years. I read them when I was in middle school ish and I remember them being really good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I have no primary sources attesting to it.

I just heard it once and instantly and unquestioningly believe it because that exactly the kind of thing they would do.

It seems pretty evident that it was part of Microsoft's "One Windows" strategy they unveiled around the time of the Xbox One launch. The idea was to create a common OS platform that would run on all devices; PCs, Tablets, Windows Phone and Xbox gaming console. Around the time of the Xbox One launch you also have the launch of OneDrive and OneNote. Windows mobile died before the OS was rebranded. The big rumor was successor to Windows 8, codenamed Threshold, was going to be called Windows One. My guess is some VP chickened out at the last minute and when with Windows 10 (where did 9 go?) and now you have a confusing strategy where the largest piece doesn't fit.

My only proof for this is at the Windows 10 launch keynote their entire tagline was something along the lines of "One vision. One platform. Windows 10" which only makes sense if your product is called Windows One!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FCKGW posted:

Windows 10 (where did 9 go?)

A lot of older programs would detect that as Windows 98 and try to do things that just don't work on a modern operating system.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Platystemon posted:

lol that quote

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CVS (and I assume other places) sells an OTC sleeping pill that they say is non habit forming, but also says not to use it more than three times a week. Why is that? Is it actually habit forming, or is the quality of sleep you get from taking the pill not as good as unassisted sleep?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There are lots of things that are not habit forming but that are bad for you if you take too much or for too long, for various other reasons. Being habit forming is not usually the main reason for max dosing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Badger of Basra posted:

CVS (and I assume other places) sells an OTC sleeping pill that they say is non habit forming, but also says not to use it more than three times a week. Why is that? Is it actually habit forming, or is the quality of sleep you get from taking the pill not as good as unassisted sleep?
Idk exactly what drug you’re talking about, but most of the common OTC sleep aids are some form of antihistamine and you develop a tolerance to them fairly quickly. I dunno if that’s necessarily ‘habit forming’ but you can definitely quickly develop a dependence of sorts. At least personally, if I take diphenhydramine for 2 nights I have trouble getting to sleep the 3rd night without it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You can absolutely develop a dependence regardless of whether a substance is physically addictive or not. Sleep in particular is such a delicate function and one that so many people struggle with, that the temptation to 'fix' it once you find something that helps can be very strong indeed.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Such Fun posted:

Did not. 0/10 would not recommend. Ghoulish and ghastly and just bizarre.
Astrid Lindgren’s books are not at all like this. The anime has these overly cutesy infantile characters that end up in horrible situations. I got pretty uncomfortable watching some of it.

That's a pity, but yeah we weren't going to move on to the 2nd episode, very strange tone.

Silver Falcon posted:

This might be a mite old for him yet but check out The Lost Years of Merlin by TA Barron. They're about Merlin, obv, in his late childhood to teen years. I read them when I was in middle school ish and I remember them being really good.

Noted for later, thanks!

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for a particular comedy sketch.

I beleive it is Mr Show but I have looked through most of what I have and it seems it may not be....It still may be, though

Its a late night talk show set but its ramshackled, I believe sweaty politicians are the guests and there is a Marilyn Monroe character at one point who does this goo-goo-gga-gga voice thing and it reapeats continuously as the visuals get more drug addled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Odd medical question (and prolly anthromormorphizing body functions), but does the body 'know' about water intake and outtake? Like, if I take a swig of water and have to pee, is it really going "water swigged, go pee now cuz that swig will burst us"? Is it a behavior, conditioned thing? Coincidence?