Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How long does your nail bed take to grow? I realise I've been cutting my nails wrong since I was a kid, so the nail bed (that pink thing under the nail, right?) is all wonky and too far up. I've been letting my nails grow longer than normal and cutting them straight, but I'm getting pretty tired of having gross looking long nails. I have noticed the nail bed growing out more, it just takes ages. I eventually want to be able to cut it straight and not have the nails longer in the corners like they are right now. Same with toe nails. Progress after almost two months is the middle portion of my nail bed is straight and farther out, but the corners of my nail are lagging behind so I end up with a bunch of white nail in the corners when I cut straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Trying to remember the name of a wierd as poo poo cartoon I dimly recall seeing as a nipper in the late 70s, early 80s. All I remember about it is a very simple, abstract character with a circular head, triangle for a body, and rectangles for legs. The character would walk toward the viewer, gradually filling the screen, the rectangular legs moving up and down.

Looked something like in the attached image.

Edit: Aha! "Bod"! My lovely drawing was a tad off the mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4IiktFp3p4

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magimix fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 23, 2021

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah that's weird as poo poo all right. :catstare:

E: Dammit now I have that whack-rear end music stuck in my head. Thanks a lot magimix! :argh:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 23, 2021

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

On the Youtube subscriptions page, does using hide mess with with the algorithm? When I get a backlog of things I want to watch, I'll use hide on watched ones to clear them from the list and keep it as a to watch list. Is that telling Youtube I don't like these videos and to give me less like them?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Xenoborg posted:

On the Youtube subscriptions page, does using hide mess with with the algorithm? When I get a backlog of things I want to watch, I'll use hide on watched ones to clear them from the list and keep it as a to watch list. Is that telling Youtube I don't like these videos and to give me less like them?

almost certainly yes

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Yes and no. I don't work for Google, but I've worked for companies with similar algorithms. "has watched all/most of the video" and "has hidden the video" are likely two separate variables, each with their own effects which may or may not override or cancel each other.

If I had to guess, "has watched video" is related to the algorithmic engagement calculation, which would be closely tied to your recommendations. "has hidden video" would relate to a video's title or thumbnail, which will change how and when the algorithm presents that video to others, and it would change the choices the algorithm makes when it presents options to you. If that's right, then the end result is that your personal suggestions will likely have videos on the same or similar subjects, but with a different style for presenting them. Additionally, the videos you hid will be tested against other users to see how they respond. If they respond negatively, then it is possible the algorithm just won't spread the videos that you originally hid, even though you liked them.

Recommendation algorithms are dumb.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
What's the best way to deal with insects, specifically spiders? I have a balcony on the second floor, and we cleaned it up to hang out at night, but always by the time night rolls around, there are like 20-40 spiders taking up residence and weaving elaborate large webs everywhere. Freaks me out to the point that I never go out there anymore.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

LorneReams posted:

What's the best way to deal with insects, specifically spiders? I have a balcony on the second floor, and we cleaned it up to hang out at night, but always by the time night rolls around, there are like 20-40 spiders taking up residence and weaving elaborate large webs everywhere. Freaks me out to the point that I never go out there anymore.

Spiders aren't insects, they're arachnids. You can spray around some tea tree or eucalyptus oil, sometimes that helps repel spiders and other bugs (bugs as a slang term covers insects and arachnids).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LorneReams posted:

If the spiders are there, then there's probably something else that they're eating. You'd need to address that to get rid of the spiders.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If the spiders are there, then there's probably something else that they're eating. You'd need to address that to get rid of the spiders.

Yeah, if you've recent cleaned that balcony up then maybe their food source is already gone and they'll move along soon. Or if you're leaving porch lights on at night that might be attracting flying insects that they like.

I'm kinda not okay with using sprays and poisons in outdoor spaces because like... it's outside. That's where the bugs and spiders are supposed to be.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I dunno about arachnids (and I was about to do the same pedantry), but insects get majorly hosed up by artificial light sources and will inadvertently fly towards them. If you have a lamp on our below your balcony at night, that might attract them. This goes for your downstairs neighbours having the lights on too. I don't know what you would do about it though, except marrying a woman who's not afraid of spiders learning to live with them.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Love this thread and I've been following it for years, but could never (to my recollection) come up with a worthwhile question of my own. Well, I finally have, and yeah I could just google it, but it's such a fun and informative thread.

So, cattle and pigs are both mammals. Why is it that beef is so much higher in iron than pork?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My wife gives no fucks; I'm a huge baby.

I read peppermint is something they don't like, as well as vinegar with water, so might try that.

I have a huge irrational fear of spiders. I think it's because when I was a young kid, I had dug into a crawl space and literally thousands of small spiders broke from somewhere and fell all over me and I ran screaming and some of the bigger ones had their webs stuck to me so they were being dragged behind and it looked like they were chasing me and I was so freaked I almost passed out. This trends because I am really not scared of bigger spiders, just small ones. Like I had absolutely no problem grabbing a tarantula that a friend had as it tried to escape and handling it, but gently caress tiny spiders.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

BatSpider-Man origin story.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Not really sure where to post this since it is a political software question (D&D? SH/SC? Coupons?)

My fiancée's new job has her using NGP VAN and VoteBuilder (voter/donor outreach software for political campaigns) to do campaign finance and a large part of what she is doing right now is manually importing data from VB to NGP. There is apparently no manual and she got very basic training when she started. I can't really find any training resources online anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is a way to easily import data from VoteBuilder to NGP, or know where I can find free training resources on how to use the software? Alternatively, where on SA might be a more appropriate place to even ask these questions?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Machai posted:

Not really sure where to post this since it is a political software question (D&D? SH/SC? Coupons?)

My fiancée's new job has her using NGP VAN and VoteBuilder (voter/donor outreach software for political campaigns) to do campaign finance and a large part of what she is doing right now is manually importing data from VB to NGP. There is apparently no manual and she got very basic training when she started. I can't really find any training resources online anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is a way to easily import data from VoteBuilder to NGP, or know where I can find free training resources on how to use the software? Alternatively, where on SA might be a more appropriate place to even ask these questions?

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/mchenrydems/pages/2837/attachments/original/1518112302/VANual-2018.pdf?1518112302

Can't you just export to csv from votebuilder. do any field/data manipulation you need in excel/python. then import the csv into the new program?

I'm not really sure what the question is.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Love this thread and I've been following it for years, but could never (to my recollection) come up with a worthwhile question of my own. Well, I finally have, and yeah I could just google it, but it's such a fun and informative thread.

So, cattle and pigs are both mammals. Why is it that beef is so much higher in iron than pork?

Beef has a lot more myoglobin than pork, which has iron in it and is the reason beef looks redder than pork generally. They may both be mammals but the difference between the two is actually pretty significant, Mammalia is a very large class of animal with significant genetic and chemical differences despite the structural similarity in the body plan of so many mammals.

Humans are one of the only animals that require dietary vitamin C to function, for example, whereas most other animals like cows and pigs just synthesize it themselves without having to eat it.

Ultimately the only thing that all mammals are definitionally required to have in common is mammaries.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 24, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Cattle have predominantly slow-twitch muscles that contain lots of myoglobin and associated iron.

Hogs have more fast-twitch muscles that rely less on myoglobin. Less myoglobin, less iron. This also happens to be what makes white meat white.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Could anyone tell me what specific species of plants these are? I picked them up for a few bucks each, but the grow tags merely say "Tropical".

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mister Facetious posted:

Could anyone tell me what specific species of plants these are? I picked them up for a few bucks each, but the grow tags merely say "Tropical".

If nobody itt can help you, this thread can:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mister Facetious posted:

The first one looks like a Snake Plant

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Inceltown posted:

The first one looks like a Snake Plant

That's the one thing I know it isn't; I have two of those already (sansevieria trifasciata).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Definitely not a horticulturalist, but bored googling suggests Dracaena Fragrans and possibly Dracaena Fragrans Compacta for the second? I found the same patterned leaves (pale/dark/pale), and the latter has no variegation and darker leaves.

My cursory unqualified work here is done.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it definitely looks like that (the first one). The striping happens when they get enough light, but they are also very tolerant of low light and will stay dark green.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, i have a confirmed dracaena fragrans in my washroom, but it has the opposite coloring. The leaves and stem are really similar though.

Definitely appears to be Compacta for the second one (the Gardenia app doesn't have that variety though :-/ )

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 24, 2021

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Methanar posted:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/mchenrydems/pages/2837/attachments/original/1518112302/VANual-2018.pdf?1518112302

Can't you just export to csv from votebuilder. do any field/data manipulation you need in excel/python. then import the csv into the new program?

I'm not really sure what the question is.

I have no idea. She was left with very little instruction, and no manual. The guy that taught her said he did not think there was any way to import data like that. I was just wondering if anyone else knew if there really was because that seems like a really basic function for something that is mainly just a big database.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Machai posted:

I have no idea. She was left with very little instruction, and no manual. The guy that taught her said he did not think there was any way to import data like that. I was just wondering if anyone else knew if there really was because that seems like a really basic function for something that is mainly just a big database.

write a program with pyautogui, (opencv and tesseract if necessary) to scrape data from votebuilder into a csv for you and then back into the new program

idk

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Thanks, Rhyolite and Platystemon! Very informative and might have been difficult to dig up via google.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

maybe this question would be better in a special Olympics subforum question thread, but:

in the US it seems like basically every athlete we send to the Olympics is someone who started working on their sport when they were young and then went on to more intense, basically professional level training through college athletics. in countries where college athletics are not such a huge thing (or not a thing at all? idk) how do their training systems work? is it all just covered by the country's olympic committee?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Badger of Basra posted:

maybe this question would be better in a special Olympics subforum question thread, but:

in the US it seems like basically every athlete we send to the Olympics is someone who started working on their sport when they were young and then went on to more intense, basically professional level training through college athletics. in countries where college athletics are not such a huge thing (or not a thing at all? idk) how do their training systems work? is it all just covered by the country's olympic committee?

Yeah, the US is odd in not having centralized training programs for a lot of Olympic sports. And then even for the sports that do have training control, it’s usually like a camp on top of the athlete’s normal training program.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
There's a thing called Nukemap simulator that tells you how many deaths a nuclear weapon would cause, but I recall there was a Tsunami or Megatsunami simulator that worked in a very similar manner, does anyone know what the tsunami simulating site is?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

In Denmark, the system as I understand it is basically that kids get enrolled in whatever sport in like primary school age. At some point, probably around 13 years old or so, the whatever sports club stops offering level-appropriate training/courses unless you dedicate at least 4 days a week to the sport. At that point, kids like me drop out and focus on video games, some continue on a hobby basis without training (depending on the sport obviously) and a few actually spend all their free time on a bike/boat/basketball. That's the main selection. From there, the national organisation for sports comes in and sponsors your training if you're good and/or the sport is popular. I think a lot of the competition is arranged through the national organisation. But it is essentially a hobby thing for the athletes. There is a high school programme that allows you to spend four instead of three years in high school to make room for sports, but otherwise you're supposed to just make time for it.

Source: I knew a guy with an Olympic gold medal. Also just general cultural osmosis. My guy studied medicine while competing, and also married a fellow athlete along the way. I guess he must be a doctor somewhere now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm researching mesh networks and it's confusing me. I have a two-floor townhouse that's only about 900 sqft in total. The goal is to get good wireless internet on the second floor while we're waiting a couple weeks for someone to run the cables through the walls.

I read an article saying that if I get mesh, I should just buy two of the base units, rather than a base unit + an extender, because the base unit has the ethernet port.

How useful would this port actually be? If I'm gonna be running a cable into the second floor, could I just buy two non-mesh routers, each broadcasting internet on their own? If that's an option what's the benefit of having two mesh units, both hooked up to the same ethernet network?

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 26, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I'm researching mesh networks and it's confusing me. I have a two-floor townhouse that's only about 900 sqft in total. The goal is to get good wireless internet on the second floor while we're waiting a couple weeks for someone to run the cables through the walls.

I read an article saying that if I get mesh, I should just buy two of the base units, rather than a base unit + an extender, because the base unit has the ethernet port.

How useful would this port actually be? If I'm gonna be running a cable into the second floor, could I just buy two non-mesh routers, each broadcasting internet on their own? If that's an option what's the benefit of having two mesh networks, both hooked up to the same ethernet network?

IMO mesh is overkill for 900 sqft. I have this router on the middle floor of my 3-story 1400sqft apartment and never have connectivity issues.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

How useful would this port actually be? If I'm gonna be running a cable into the second floor, could I just buy two non-mesh routers, each broadcasting internet on their own? If that's an option what's the benefit of having two mesh units, both hooked up to the same ethernet network?

As long as your second router does access point mode that would work great, mesh not needed!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Mr. Fartsy and I have had a dog for about 5 years, he was around 3 when we got him.

He gets SO loving pissed when we're affectionate with each other. Hugging, smooching, grabbing rear end, even using a :pervert: tone of voice across the room at each other sets him off almost instantly. It's both funny and obnoxious (his angry barking is loud as hell.)

Any idea why he reacts this way?

He doesn't seem to care if I hug a friend goodbye or whatever.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

Mr. Fartsy and I have had a dog for about 5 years, he was around 3 when we got him.

He gets SO loving pissed when we're affectionate with each other. Hugging, smooching, grabbing rear end, even using a :pervert: tone of voice across the room at each other sets him off almost instantly. It's both funny and obnoxious (his angry barking is loud as hell.)

Is he by chance a Border Collie or other herding breed? He may be perceiving it as intra-herd conflict, which they don't like.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

artsy fartsy posted:

Is he (the dog) neutered?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

He's loving your husband.

Edit: misread gender, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Thanatosian posted:

Is he by chance a Border Collie or other herding breed? He may be perceiving it as intra-herd conflict, which they don't like.

He's a mutt, not really sure. Brown fur, 45+ lbs, tall and slender compared to most dogs I've seen of the same weight, has a real curly tail.

He (the dog) is neutered.

Eta: https://imgur.com/gallery/CuNftR1

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 27, 2021