Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

smackfu posted:

Is there consensus on “cancellation” vs. “cancelation” in American English?
Wikitionary says, and my native speaker intuition agrees, "Despite the widely used form of canceled vs. cancelled in American English, the word cancellation is still much more widely used than the variant cancelation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smackfu posted:

Is there consensus on “cancellation” vs. “cancelation” in American English?

Google Books’ Ngram viewer says that the version with double “L” is substantially more popular in both American and British English and that it has been that way as far back as the corpus goes (1800).

The tool is not perfect—for example, the peaks at 1830 and 1940 are probably spurious, some article that got syndicated widely or something like that—but for a word that common, with a difference that large, it’s almost certainly right.

For comparison, it can tell you that “traveller” has one “L” in American English and two in British English and that it’s been that way since the turn of the twentieth century, when Americans got funny ideas about spelling.

e: “Cancelled” is a more complicated case. Brits have always preferred two “L”s, but Americans have used the two spellings almost equivalently for a century and a half.

(I changed the smoothing on this one. It’s not actually that more volatile than the others).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 17, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks, we ran into an interesting case at work where our British team put “cancelation” into some American copy and then insisted that it was correct per their dictionary. Internationalization is hard! Even between English speakers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno if that's the best thread for this dumb question but

I somehow ruined my favorite shirt, it's all weirdly discolored on the outside, it supposed to be this rich blue like behind the collar, but instead is what you see on the left here.

Any ideas what could've causes this? Unfortunately I don't remember the exact moment, just at some point realized that something's off.

I don't think it's wash related because the inside is still the right color. The fading seems stronger where it would've been more exposed to the sun so the shoulders and back, less under the arms. But then the sleeves have subtle streak patterns as if it were wet. But, again, under the arms where it would be sweaty, it's fine.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Laundry detergent often has UV reactive chemicals to make clothes look brighter in the sun- it could have something to do with that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Don’t suppose you air-dried it in the sun? The streaks could be wrinkles that were in shade.

I’ve had some fabrics fade just like that in the sun while others were fine. Not sure why, but turning them inside out helps.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Internet comment etiquette: do you talk TO the creator, or about the creator?

Like on YouTube, the least I can do for video makers I like is to leave comments - just to feed the dumb algorithm. But comments are a weird mix of discussion between viewers, and direct messages to an author. I never know whether to say "you" or "him/her/they".

Feels like bigger channels just ignore comments, smaller channels take them pretty personally.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CrazySalamander posted:

Laundry detergent often has UV reactive chemicals to make clothes look brighter in the sun- it could have something to do with that.

Could be... I've been using Persil color gel, I guess at this point I could experiment with it without hurting anything

Fruits of the sea posted:

Don’t suppose you air-dried it in the sun? The streaks could be wrinkles that were in shade.

I’ve had some fabrics fade just like that in the sun while others were fine. Not sure why, but turning them inside out helps.
It's possible, I generally don't dry outside in the sun (because I'm too lazy to carry stuff back and forth) but it's possible. I could try putting it outside again cover part of it.

This poo poo is obviously toast of course but I just want to figure out to avoid ruining more things in the future.

VagueRant posted:

Internet comment etiquette: do you talk TO the creator, or about the creator?

Like on YouTube, the least I can do for video makers I like is to leave comments - just to feed the dumb algorithm. But comments are a weird mix of discussion between viewers, and direct messages to an author. I never know whether to say "you" or "him/her/they".

Feels like bigger channels just ignore comments, smaller channels take them pretty personally.
I never commented on a youtube video so take this with a grain of salt. But as you say, the large channels definitely don't have time to read thousands of comments, while the smaller ones do. Regardless I think it's fine to talk directly to the creater. Like, hey your video is really cool. If it makes a difference the Algorithm, maybe trolling the other commenters would boost the engagement score so you could try that.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm not sure there's necessarily "etiquette," but common practice for popular comments (comments that get a lot of likes) is to have general commentary on the topic of the video, or something like thanking or complimenting the creator in a sort of outward facing way, like an open letter. Something addressed to the creator, but not necessarily something that demands a response.
There are exceptions, if you have a thoughtful question, but even then they're usually written in a pretty general way so that someone else might be able to answer, without the expectation that the creator should need to respond. So in a woodworking video, "how much glue do you use on those joints" is sort of directly addressing the creator with a "you," but it's also a general "you" that could be answered by someone else, as if the question were "how much glue do people normally use on those joints" or something.

Some creators have a habit of answering a lot of their comments, and in those communities commenters can be more direct. Popularity for comments on other channels tends to have more to do with being "insightful" or "funny" or having a thread with some other commenters. In terms of engagement for the algorithm, I don't actually know, but I'm assuming that having a lot of replies and likes to a comment is more worthwhile than just a single comment with one or two likes, so if your goal is to help drive engagement then I'd focus on that sort of open-endedness that invites replies.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I finally got fed up with chrome on my phone and switched to Firefox. However when reading SA I've noticed that the font of some comments is almost half the size of the normal comments. Any idea why this is it how I fix it?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Why not just use the app?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The android app and the iOS app are both great, just use them, yeah.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Does anyone know how to spell the adjective form of the Yiddish "mensch"? I've only ever heard it said, pronounced like "menschediker", but Google turns up nothing for that. Only "menschy" as the adjective. Or am I just going nuts? I'm sure I've heard other Jews describe honorable, decent, upstanding behaviour as (something that sounds like) "menschediker"... Unless it's not as widespread as "mensch" is, maybe?...

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Apart from Singapore, have any city-states been expelled from a country against their will and into long-term independence?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hyperlynx posted:

Does anyone know how to spell the adjective form of the Yiddish "mensch"? I've only ever heard it said, pronounced like "menschediker", but Google turns up nothing for that. Only "menschy" as the adjective. Or am I just going nuts? I'm sure I've heard other Jews describe honorable, decent, upstanding behaviour as (something that sounds like) "menschediker"... Unless it's not as widespread as "mensch" is, maybe?...

It’s “menschlich” (מענטשלעך)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i will be on a work trip, and since my hotel has a workout room, i'm going to try to keep up on it. i would like to bring my menagerie of powders, but the canisters are too big. will i get hassled by tsa if my bag has some miscellaneous powders and scoops in it? i plan on labeling them and i have tsa pre-check

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't pack anything that you wouldn't want to throw away.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is there some particular bug which starts biting around this time of year in southeastern Ontario? For the past couple of years around August/September, my boyfriend and I have acquired these bites. They are large-ish, and singular (no clusters or lines of bumps). They're not flea bites, which I've experienced before; our cat is clean and we've gotten these even when we were between cats. Can't be bedbugs, or we'd have them all the time.

Edit: also neither of us spends a lot of time outdoors, and my latest bite seems to have happened while I was working on the computer (suddenly felt itchy, looked inside shirt and there it was).

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 19, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Don’t have em in my part of Ontario, but could be chiggers? They come out n the fall. Can leave some annoying bites and they are so small that you don’t see them if you aren’t looking for them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

will any explosion of sufficient size make a mushroom cloud like we associate with nuclear weapons? or is it something unique to nuclear?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

will any explosion of sufficient size make a mushroom cloud like we associate with nuclear weapons? or is it something unique to nuclear?

Anything can do it. Doesn’t even have to be a true explosion.

The Il-112 crash from a few days ago featured a mushroom cloud.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The mushroom part is really just a feature of any plume of heated air rising in cooler air. You can sometimes see it in plain ole cloud clouds

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there a consensus to why Starlink corn made people sick? Is it related to it being transgenic?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a consensus to why Starlink corn made people sick? Is it related to it being transgenic?

As far as I'm aware there's no confirmation that it made anyone sick at all, it was recalled because one of the proteins in it had potential as an allergin.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think that was mostly a media phenomenon- it got into the news because it somehow made it into restaurants before it was done being certified for human consumption which was a dumb move. GMO foods were a kinda new and scary thing in the news and people got freaked out and started reporting in when they felt sick after eating Taco Bell or whatever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

I'm not familiar with this specific issue, but from quickly reviewing the Wikipedia article, it looks like Starlink corn had two key genetic modifications. One made it resistant to the herbicide glufosinate (meaning that farmers could spray the crops with that herbicide to keep weeds down), and one made it naturally produce a pesticide, Cry9C (to, well, make the crops more resistant to pests). The pesticide aspect meant that Starlink corn was only approved for use for animal feed, not food for humans. However, sloppy supply lines did not segregate Starlink corn from regular corn, and it ended up in human food anyway, hence the recalls.

So in short, it is related to the corn being transgenic...because the specific genes that were modified in Starlink corn caused it to produce compounds that some humans might have been allergic to. This is not the same thing as saying "transgenic is bad". We've been "genetically modifying" food for millennia through selective breeding; modern gene-modding techniques mostly just make the process faster and more targeted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I read this article: Woman condemned in Salem witch trials on verge of pardon 328 years later

Now I'm curious about a couple of things:
  1. Why was it necessary to name the individuals involved? Couldn't they have just passed a law saying "witchcraft should never have been a crime (because witches aren't real) therefore all convictions are overturned"?
  2. The final paragraph raises my second question: why bother? What's the point in doing this? The article mentions "[setting] the record straight" but I'm not sure it's even doing that? The truth is that she was convicted of witchcraft - a made up thing that doesn't exist - and we all know that she obviously wasn't an actual witch, so what about the record is inaccurate?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do those Philips Hue bulbs need me to put a dimmer switch or anything in to have their dimming function work? I want to be able to remotely dim the lights when I'm out of the house, but I don't feel like dropping a stupid amount of money on some bulbs and the wireless router thing only to find out I need to do more work on my light switch to have it function.

Do they have inbuilt dimming capabilities right out the box or?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Qubee posted:

Do those Philips Hue bulbs need me to put a dimmer switch or anything in to have their dimming function work? I want to be able to remotely dim the lights when I'm out of the house, but I don't feel like dropping a stupid amount of money on some bulbs and the wireless router thing only to find out I need to do more work on my light switch to have it function.

Do they have inbuilt dimming capabilities right out the box or?

Yes. They use electronics in the bulb to dim themselves on command.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I read this article: Woman condemned in Salem witch trials on verge of pardon 328 years later

Now I'm curious about a couple of things:
  1. Why was it necessary to name the individuals involved? Couldn't they have just passed a law saying "witchcraft should never have been a crime (because witches aren't real) therefore all convictions are overturned"?
  2. The final paragraph raises my second question: why bother? What's the point in doing this? The article mentions "[setting] the record straight" but I'm not sure it's even doing that? The truth is that she was convicted of witchcraft - a made up thing that doesn't exist - and we all know that she obviously wasn't an actual witch, so what about the record is inaccurate?

If this is all just symbolic, then it's a stronger symbol if you get more specific with it. People don't connect to "abstract women from 300 years ago", but they might connect to "Elizabeth Johnson, a woman who lived 300 years ago".

And my guess is that it is all symbolic, and possibly a tourism marketing ploy to get people thinking about Salem.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Philip Hue lightbulbs are cool, but a novelty. Seems like a monumental waste of money because as soon as I turned them on, I thought they were at 10% brightness. 800 lumens and I've got two bulbs in my room and it's very dingy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Related question: my house came with an honest to god cast iron lamppost outside. It currently has two old bulbs of some sort, but I kinda want to replace them with fun colour changing bulbs. My questions are how many lumens (each) I should be looking for, what brands are good and if I need anything special for outside? It just needs to light up a driveway that's like 1,5 cars diameter enough that my guests won't fall over anything.

This is absolutely stupid, yes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm not a big fan of car racing, and I know jack poo poo about streaming video. But my older sister has entered her first race at the tender age of 50, and I'd really like to be able to watch it. She has no clue (and is a bit busy getting ready for the race). The Speedway website doesn't give any links.

If anyone can help me find streaming video of the Brewerton (NY) Speedway races tonight, or point me in the direction of racecar threads that might help ( I dunno if they'd be in AI or SAS or what), that would be delightful. Thanks!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 20, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Looked into it a bit, and I can't find any sort of livestream available for it. Dirt-track racing is relatively niche and small-scale in the scheme of racing, it's somewhat unlikely there would be a livestream of it. It's not typically televised unless there's a local channel that might broadcast it, but I can't seem to find anything about it either. Really all I could scrounge up was the fact that it's happening at 7:30pm EST.

No clue about threads to ask about unfortunately.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Does anyone have suggestions for thick cobwebs? A duster just gets obnoxiously clogged up. My current thought is to get some kind of aerosol baby powder to de-stick them and use a vacuum cleaner (which I've tried using but it gets clogged and sticky), but I'm wondering if either I'm misunderstanding how those aerosol baby/talcum powder sprays work and it'll lead to a giant mess or if there's an easy alternative that everyone else does.

Edit: While I'm on cleaning questions, we've got a big stainless sink with a little wire grating or wire rack (widely spaced) in the bottom. Cleaning the sink is fine, but it's a hassle to get all the little crevices of the wires where they intersect, and I'm wondering if there's a product I could just leave in the sink for a while to soak to help clean up the rack.
It's got hard plastic spacers that I could remove if it's anything semi-caustic. I'm fine with some scrubbing but getting it properly clean is a real hassle and it gets unpleasant again in like two to three weeks. Seems like there should be something to easily break up the organic material I could have it soak in occasionally, but I also don't want to ruin the fancy new sink with some kind of toilet bowl acid.

zachol fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 21, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I've always just used a broom to sweep away the cobwebs and then take it outside and run on some concrete or through some grass to get rid of the cobwebs.

For the latter Baking soda and vinegar should work fine.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

butt dickus posted:

i will be on a work trip, and since my hotel has a workout room, i'm going to try to keep up on it. i would like to bring my menagerie of powders, but the canisters are too big. will i get hassled by tsa if my bag has some miscellaneous powders and scoops in it? i plan on labeling them and i have tsa pre-check
in case anyone has my same problem, they tested my powders with some machine but then let me take them on the plane

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I live in an apartment. The soundproofing is pretty decent, but from time to time one of my neighbours makes a fair bit of racket.

The thing is, I'm never sure whether the noise is coming from the apartment above me or one next to me. Are there any techniques for being able to tell more easily?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Why is authoritarianism suddenly so popular again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Methanar posted:

Why is authoritarianism suddenly so popular again?

Please, big man, make my financial woes and worries go away. Give me something convenient and easy to blame my problems on and hate. Promise me the moon. Promise me the plague doesn't exist, that climate change isn't loving us up, and that my job will come back.