Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What’s the best/easiest way to sell clothes?

I’ve got ~8 pieces of barely used business casual pieces. Banana republic and J crew type stuff.

Easiest is probably a local consignment / upscale used clothes place. Buffalo Exchange is a chain example but most cities have local ones too. They will buy your stuff for probably a few bucks a piece and resell for maybe $10-15 a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
If you live on a house on the border of the US and Canada and your dog gets loose and goes into the other country, can you just sneak over the border and get it back? How is it supposed to be handled versus how is it handled.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FCKGW posted:

When a DMCA strike is filed against a video usually the rights holder can either block the video or keep the video up and take the ad revenue instead.

It's my understanding that if the rights holder takes the ad revenue it's not considered a strike against the account so they can keep uploading videos all they want but they won't get any ad revenue from it. If the compilation video you're watching has ads in it, the revenue from those goes to the music rights holders, not the uploader.

Yeah, I guess there are some older bands that block everything so the video makers will omit them entirely to avoid getting the strike.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Torpor posted:

If you live on a house on the border of the US and Canada and your dog gets loose and goes into the other country, can you just sneak over the border and get it back? How is it supposed to be handled versus how is it handled.

Depends on the breed. Border Collie is fine on both sides of the border, you might have issues with customs with an American Cocker Spaniel if it crosses over to Canada but not the other way. It could take years to retrieve an Afghan, depending on the political situation.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A family member was talking about potentially 'investing' in Bitcoin. I'm personally extremely skeptical due to how volatile it is, and it could just as easily crash to pennies as it could rocket to the moon. They were thinking of chucking $150 into it each month, and I told them if they end up doing so, they should consider the money gone and not be attached to it, and then just check in on Bitcoin once a month.

Anyone more well versed in Bitcoin able to shed some light on the topic, or point me in a direction where I could find out if it's an actual feasible investment? To me, it just seems overinflated due to the hype and get-rich-quick atmosphere surrounding it. I wasn't going to invest in it myself, I was gonna play the long game with index funds and compound interest.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
All cryptocurrencies are some mix of pump and dump scams and rampant speculation. You can gamble on getting in at the bottom of the cycle, but it is 100% gambling and should be treated as such.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why does the guy who says the PEGI rating at the start of video game trailers and such sound American instead of like, French or something?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Have you got an example, my memory of hearing 'pegi 18' is a British accent.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Qubee posted:

A family member was talking about potentially 'investing' in Bitcoin. I'm personally extremely skeptical due to how volatile it is, and it could just as easily crash to pennies as it could rocket to the moon. They were thinking of chucking $150 into it each month, and I told them if they end up doing so, they should consider the money gone and not be attached to it, and then just check in on Bitcoin once a month.

Anyone more well versed in Bitcoin able to shed some light on the topic, or point me in a direction where I could find out if it's an actual feasible investment? To me, it just seems overinflated due to the hype and get-rich-quick atmosphere surrounding it. I wasn't going to invest in it myself, I was gonna play the long game with index funds and compound interest.

Scams aside, Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general have no value beyond what you can sell it to the next guy for. When it runs out of new buyers, it all comes crashing down. Also there's a cult for some reason? If you want a lot more detail, ask here, and if you want to point and laugh at the true believers, go here.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Qubee posted:

Realistically Bitcoin as an investment is actively judging when to sell, hoping you're not holding the bag when the value drops to zero*. That's still a ways off, so maybe it's fine if you are super into risky investments.

The only real path to long-term value is if it does in fact become a dominant global currency. That will never, ever happen because the ability to control the value of its own currency is basically the foundation of a nation's economic sovereignty. In other words it will be in trouble the minute it starts affecting the value of the dollar/yuan. Superpowers aren't going to cede their control to the whims of some secret 4chan dude

Personally I think it's absolutely impossible for Bitcoin to do another 20,000,000% jump so the dream of becoming a Bitcoin billionaire now is over anyway.

*zero may or may not happen because there will always be a need for some hard-to-trace digital currency for drug and human trafficking, but there's no guarantee it will be Bitcoin forever

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just invest in stock like a sane person. That way, you can invest in something that is more than just hype, and you get to choose a dumb thing to care about (like insulin if you want to be safe or Zeppelins if you want to lose your money).

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Aside from the weird cult surrounding it, my understanding has been that the only other reason bitcoin has any staying power is that it's used for criminal stuff, where the ransomware poo poo and drug trade are literally the most benign aspects of that. So yeah, tell them that if they're 'investing' in bitcoin they're literally supporting evil poo poo like sex trafficking and stuff, and ask them if they're okay with that.

Every example of legitimate uses for bitcoin has been gimmicky poo poo that failed miserably or like being able to buy other online currency with it like gamebucks and poo poo. I think you could by Teslas with bitcoins and some point but even they quit accepting it?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I have need of an iOS app that I can make multiple timers on. For example I set 3 consecutive timers, all at 5 minutes. When the first timer goes off it beeps or notifies me in some way and then it automatically starts the second one and then when that timer is done the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 11, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Can you just set three timers to go off at five minute intervals and start them all at the same time?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I have need of an iOS app that I can make multiple timers on. For example I set 3 consecutive timers, all at 5 minutes. When the first timer goes off it beeps or notifies me in some way and then it automatically starts the second one and then when that timer is done the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Tabata timers are what you're looking for. Not an iOS user but that should get you in the game.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

IFTTT but it's probably overkill

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Qubee posted:

A family member was talking about potentially 'investing' in Bitcoin...
...They were thinking of chucking $150 into it each month,

They could definitely earn some money, but it works best as a short term investment where they keep a close eye on the news and are ready to cash out before something wonky happens (another exchange gets hacked/Elon Musk tweet/regulatory agencies/etc). Its definitely not a hands off investment, you need to pay attention.

Also the major economies are all working (slowly) on regulating crypto. Not sure how long ahead your family members are planning, but the market is probably going to look a lot different in a decade's time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, I'd just set 5/10/15 minute timers all at once.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Badger of Basra posted:

why does the guy who says the PEGI rating at the start of video game trailers and such sound American instead of like, French or something?

This sounds American to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQYJHUJlYE

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ligerzero_Type0/status/1436542779467788294

Can someone translate this? I need to know what this good boy did.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can someone translate this? I need to know what this good boy did.

I think the sign says 私はテンションが上ってはしゃいだ結果、飼い主の手を頭突き小指を骨折させました。
Someone can probably give a more natural translation, but the idea is something like "I was running around all excited, and as a result I headbutted my owner's hand, breaking their pinky."

dirby fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 12, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dirby posted:

I think the sign says 私はテンション上ってはしゃいだ結果、飼い主の手を頭突き小指を骨折させました。
Someone can probably give a more natural translation, but the idea is something like "I was running around all excited, and as a result I headbutted my owner's hand, breaking their pinky."

Dogs.

rainmstr
Sep 8, 2021

NOOB IN REAL LIFE :stonklol:

(please talk to me I'm lonely)
Ok, so I think I have the dumbest question of them all…. HELP WHAT DOES ITT MEAN :nsavince: I AM NOOB

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

rainmstr posted:

Ok, so I think I have the dumbest question of them all…. HELP WHAT DOES ITT MEAN :nsavince: I AM NOOB

In this thread?

rainmstr
Sep 8, 2021

NOOB IN REAL LIFE :stonklol:

(please talk to me I'm lonely)

Thirteen Orphans posted:

In this thread?

Ohhhh!!
Thank you, I am new to forums in general and I didn’t know that. :sweatdrop:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

that guy sounds british when he says 18 but the 12 and 16 sound american to me at least

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Can iPhones change snooze intervals?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

They could definitely earn some money, but it works best as a short term investment where they keep a close eye on the news and are ready to cash out before something wonky happens (another exchange gets hacked/Elon Musk tweet/regulatory agencies/etc). Its definitely not a hands off investment, you need to pay attention.

Also the major economies are all working (slowly) on regulating crypto. Not sure how long ahead your family members are planning, but the market is probably going to look a lot different in a decade's time.

Also to add that if you're getting the news from the actual news, it's way over by that point.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Khizan posted:

Yeah, I'd just set 5/10/15 minute timers all at once.

This but for crypto investing

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The bottom of my ceramic bowls are all scratched up and the white coating has been worn away. Is there any danger to continue using them? Someone was telling me I should get rid of ceramic bowls once the white coating wears off.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Deep scratches can harbor remaining small amounts of food in them which in turn harbor bacteria. If you're using a dishwasher with a sterilizer cycle that gets hot enough to kill bacteria then it's nothing to worry about. It's also no big deal if they're not deep enough for stuff to get stuck in them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

rainmstr posted:

Ohhhh!!
Thank you, I am new to forums in general and I didn’t know that. :sweatdrop:

Hello welcome! Out of curiosity, what made you sign up? I feel like it's pretty rare these days for people to come in new to these dead gay forums.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Organza Quiz posted:

Hello welcome! Out of curiosity, what made you sign up? I feel like it's pretty rare these days for people to come in new to these dead gay forums.

If their avatar is to be believed it is because they're lonely.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I've been getting phonecalls from scammers pretty regularly. Some of them are of the "you signed up for information about investing! We would like to tell you how to invest" variety. These often sound like it's a call center environment, and they're possibly just trying to sell me an overpriced service instead of trying to outright steal from me (but probably they also want to steal from me).

Then there's the good old "We are calling from your IT department because there is a problem with your computer!" ones. And the latest scammer claimed he was calling from "Blockchain.com" and asking why I wasn't using my frozen account that has 1.5 bitcoins in it? He got sort of...mock-angry when I said this sounded like a scam and threatened to call the police on me. And I'm pretty sure the same dude called me twice in a week because he had a pretty distinctive voice and accent.

So my question is...how do these scammers actually operate? Are these usually small groups of scammers who all definitely know what they're doing, or are some of them bigger operations that hire a bunch of clueless people to do the first step of the scam?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

jkk posted:

I've been getting phonecalls from scammers pretty regularly. Some of them are of the "you signed up for information about investing! We would like to tell you how to invest" variety. These often sound like it's a call center environment, and they're possibly just trying to sell me an overpriced service instead of trying to outright steal from me (but probably they also want to steal from me).

Then there's the good old "We are calling from your IT department because there is a problem with your computer!" ones. And the latest scammer claimed he was calling from "Blockchain.com" and asking why I wasn't using my frozen account that has 1.5 bitcoins in it? He got sort of...mock-angry when I said this sounded like a scam and threatened to call the police on me. And I'm pretty sure the same dude called me twice in a week because he had a pretty distinctive voice and accent.

So my question is...how do these scammers actually operate? Are these usually small groups of scammers who all definitely know what they're doing, or are some of them bigger operations that hire a bunch of clueless people to do the first step of the scam?

They function pretty much exactly like most tech companies. Most calls are coming from large call centers in nondescript office buildings. The jobs are usually advertised as "phone support" or "sales" but everybody working there knows what the deal is after the first day. Some even have separate departments for the closers that actually process a payment/install a screen-sharing app or whatever. Security is really tight compared the average tech company though. Employees will usually have to hand over their phones, computers have tracking software installed and there's video surveillance everywhere.

There are definitely smaller start-ups that are run out of somebody's bedroom too.

E: I've read some interviews with the low level call center folks. Its interesting, they know they are running a scam, but usually just need a steady job and don't care too much about it. The funny thing is they all end up developing a lot of antipathy towards the folks they are scamming, partly because they think they are filthy rich and partly because they have to deal with so many unpleasant angry people over the phone.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 12, 2021

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Thanks. I do wonder how long people last in those jobs. Surely they fire the people who aren't getting results?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

The funny thing is they all end up developing a lot of antipathy towards the folks they are scamming, partly because they think they are filthy rich and partly because they have to deal with so many unpleasant angry people over the phone.
Not to mention that if they were willing (or able) to feel empathy for their victims they wouldn't continue in the job.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

jkk posted:

I don't have proof, but I would be willing to bet that many or probably most of the scammers are operating outside of the US or other first world, developed countries. If you are operating from Africa, Latin America, or Eastern Europe, it is not hard to convince yourself that the people you are scamming in Europe or the US are filthy rich and you are participating in some type of Robinhood scheme where you are robbing the rich to give to the poor.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I don't have proof, but I would be willing to bet that many or probably most of the scammers are operating outside of the US or other first world, developed countries. If you are operating from Africa, Latin America, or Eastern Europe, it is not hard to convince yourself that the people you are scamming in Europe or the US are filthy rich and you are participating in some type of Robinhood scheme where you are robbing the rich to give to the poor.

I am in Finland. The calls come from random European numbers (UK, Sweden, Netherlands...not that this means anything, I assume it's possible to fake the numbers) but the callers often have Indian or Eastern European accents. Blockchain dude sounded Polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jkk posted:

I am in Finland. The calls come from random European numbers (UK, Sweden, Netherlands...not that this means anything, I assume it's possible to fake the numbers) but the callers often have Indian or Eastern European accents. Blockchain dude sounded Polish.

Spoofing a phone number is only marginally more difficult than spoofing an email domain, with roughly none of the compensating measures. In my experience, the ones calling from Microsoft support with Danish numbers have been exclusively English speaking with Indian accents. I did have one Danish guy pretending to be the police, and he was quite good, but he also did his research and knew my address and stuff.

Also, I have never heard of anyone in a call center who didn't hate any and all of the people they called.