Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

As someone who lives in a warm place and has travelled to cold places, I don't think this is necessary at all? Just rug up very warmly, you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

theHUNGERian posted:

Stupid, but perhaps not small.

I am planning on traveling to a cold place (Alaska), but I live in a warm place (SoCal), so I wanted to improve my cold tolerance. I figured the easiest place for this is the cold ocean and only doing cold showers, and after 3 weeks, I have already noticed an improvement. The last time I was in the ocean, I took my temperature afterward (electronic thermometer, placed under tongue) and measured 96.3F. My understanding is that this is firmly in the cold, but not hypothermic. I also noticed when I do my ocean session @ ~9 am I will crash by 3 pm (super tired). However, when I do it ~2 pm, I still feel perfectly fine at 9 pm.

Q1: Is there an issue with repeatedly (twice a week) getting my body temperature down to 96F?
Q2: Is the fatigue on my "morning" days a sign of anything noteworthy?

Yes, I am doing it safely. I am scuba certified, and I stay between at least one surfer and the beach without being the surfer's way. If I am the only person in the water, I stay in waist-deep water but submerge my shoulders. Not sure if it matters, but the ocean temperature is ~60F and each session is 20 minutes long.

I don't have an answer to your two questions, but rather advice on what you are trying to do. This is the advice I have, unless there is a specific reason you need to acclimate your body (are you going to be hiking naked in the snow or something?) to the cold.

When are you going and for how long? In the summer, Alaska is quite temperate between 40 - 60 degrees fahrenheit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Alaska

Even if you go during winter, acclimating your body like this will only provide minimal benefit, since the type of changes your body needs to make in order to feel more comfortable in cold weather requires daily exposure to cold temperatures, and unless those temps match the ones you will find in Alaska, you will not feel that much warmer when you get there. Luckily, the acclimation period for temperature is quite short (relatively speaking) from around 2 weeks to a month, again, with daily exposure. If you are going to Alaska for an extended period, the easiest way to acclimate is just to spend time outdoors when you are there. If you are going to Alaska for a short period during winter, then just get warm clothes (as Organza said). That will be much less effort on your part.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 28, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If you kind of enjoy doing your cold exposure stuff check out Wim Hof. He's built a career out of doing crazy cold exposure stuff and showing people how they can handle stuff too. This isn't the same as being used to wandering around in Alaskan winter but it might still be of interest to you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, I want to make some cool beats using software. The last time I did this was with MTV Music Generator in 1999 and it had this really great interface where you could just pick an instrument, and plop down either premade samples or your own beats that you could create using a piano and timeline grid that kind of resembled this:

I tried to look up something that exists in a similar way, but wow I'm just overwhelmed with acronyms and terms I'm really unfamiliar with. I just want to make some beep beep boops without a midi keyboard. Is there a free tool that will help me with this, or at least some cheap software that mimics this sort of design?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some googling shows that MTV music generator is a playstation game, which means you could possibly run it in an emulator.

Otherwise there's a free Windows version of Caustic, which is neat in a complete but limited feature set but not too many technical details way.

I mean, there are a lot of more in depth options, but you shouldn't be deterred by new concepts with them. The synth thread in the musicians lounge is probably a good place if you have more questions.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GarageBand on Mac will do that and has a big library of samples. You can also record your own instruments and import your own samples and whatnot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Goon Boots posted:

I don't have an answer to your two questions, but rather advice on what you are trying to do. This is the advice I have, unless there is a specific reason you need to acclimate your body (are you going to be hiking naked in the snow or something?) to the cold.

When are you going and for how long? In the summer, Alaska is quite temperate between 40 - 60 degrees fahrenheit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Alaska

Even if you go during winter, acclimating your body like this will only provide minimal benefit, since the type of changes your body needs to make in order to feel more comfortable in cold weather requires daily exposure to cold temperatures, and unless those temps match the ones you will find in Alaska, you will not feel that much warmer when you get there. Luckily, the acclimation period for temperature is quite short (relatively speaking) from around 2 weeks to a month, again, with daily exposure. If you are going to Alaska for an extended period, the easiest way to acclimate is just to spend time outdoors when you are there. If you are going to Alaska for a short period during winter, then just get warm clothes (as Organza said). That will be much less effort on your part.

I'll be attempting to summit Denali, which even in May/June gets down to -20F. A previous 9 day expedition trip around Denali based camp and a Rainier summit showed me that I need to work on my cold tolerance.

Inceltown posted:

If you kind of enjoy doing your cold exposure stuff check out Wim Hof. He's built a career out of doing crazy cold exposure stuff and showing people how they can handle stuff too. This isn't the same as being used to wandering around in Alaskan winter but it might still be of interest to you.

Thanks, I have heard of him, but I thought he was just another crazy person.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

credburn posted:

Hey, I want to make some cool beats using software. The last time I did this was with MTV Music Generator in 1999 and it had this really great interface where you could just pick an instrument, and plop down either premade samples or your own beats that you could create using a piano and timeline grid that kind of resembled this:

I tried to look up something that exists in a similar way, but wow I'm just overwhelmed with acronyms and terms I'm really unfamiliar with. I just want to make some beep beep boops without a midi keyboard. Is there a free tool that will help me with this, or at least some cheap software that mimics this sort of design?

Acid Pro has a free 30-day trial. It might be overkill for your purposes but it's a neat way to see what's possible.

You can also get an entry level midi controller, they usually come with some really basic software that does what you're looking for. Korg nanoKontrol or nanoKey is how a lot of folks get their start.

E: poo poo, they aren't cheap anymore. Supply chain woes are hitting everything

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks, I have heard of him, but I thought he was just another crazy person.

He pretty much is. At least the health claims he makes: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/wim-hof-the-iceman/

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

hooah posted:

He pretty much is. At least the health claims he makes: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/wim-hof-the-iceman/

Yeah, this.

He could have made a living off his ice bath parlor trick, but he had to go and claim to be able to cure cancer.

He's been forced to walk back those claims a bit, but his followers know he's only done that under pressure and still believe their body will be purged of all "toxins" if they just hold their breath the right way.

It's almost 100% woo and very little science

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've seen this video where streams of water were pouring out of an electrical socket and someone puts the plug of a hair dryer into the stream and it powers on. Would it be possible to power multiple electronics by putting their plugs into the same stream? How many devices could be powered before it just stops working? Would this cause an explosion?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Leal posted:

I've seen this video where streams of water were pouring out of an electrical socket and someone puts the plug of a hair dryer into the stream and it powers on. Would it be possible to power multiple electronics by putting their plugs into the same stream? How many devices could be powered before it just stops working? Would this cause an explosion?

I hate to burst your bubble, but that video is fake. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the cable goes off-screen and there is another power source for the hair dryer.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
if the stream of water can conduct electricity through the hairdryer, it can also do it across the contacts of the outlet and short the circuit, which should trip the breaker and no more power for the hairdryer.

However, to elaborate on the principle, at the simplest, all your outlet is doing is providing a safer way to attach the leads on your device to two wires, and there's not really a fundamental difference in sticking a bunch of devices to the same outlet versus having a bunch of devices plugged into different outlets on the same circuit.

The whole thing would break when the current along the circuit is greater than the wires can handle. Luckily, we have breaker boxes designed to fail before the wires do, so you get a tripped switch instead of a burnt out wire somewhere in your walls and possibly a fire.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hooah posted:

Yeah, don't go in expecting life changing results or anything. If you want to be able to handle a bit of extra cold shock then his stuff is fine. Curing cancer or what ever is not going to come from being able to be comfortable having a cold shower in winter.

Tricking your body into being able to go 5 min without taking in a breath is kind of fun though.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

what is the path to get a job on a big international ship?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When you buy yogurt with live cultures, you can use some of it to make your own yogurt, then use some of that batch to make the next batch of yogurt, then keep making yogurt basically forever. When you buy sour cream with live cultures, you can use some of it to make more sour cream, but only the once. Why can I make infinite yogurt, but not infinite sour cream?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Everett False posted:

When you buy yogurt with live cultures, you can use some of it to make your own yogurt, then use some of that batch to make the next batch of yogurt, then keep making yogurt basically forever. When you buy sour cream with live cultures, you can use some of it to make more sour cream, but only the once. Why can I make infinite yogurt, but not infinite sour cream?
What happens on the second batch of sour cream?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trapick posted:

Double-sour cream :hai:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Trapick posted:

Nothing! It just remains cream, unsoured. The cultures don't colonize or thicken up the cream at all. I thought maybe it was because cultures in store-bought sour cream have a limited ability to multiply, but even looking up buying sour cream cultures directly, they're single-use only.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm reading that you can use a cultured buttermilk as your sour cream starter, so that might be a more sustainable path? If I had to guess as to the why of things, it may be that the bacteria that produce the chemicals that make sour cream are self-limiting and tend to die out or get out-competed. So it's not so much that sour cream cultures are always single-use-only, but rather that their effectiveness drops rapidly with each successive culture, as the population of "good" bacteria drops. This is only a hypothesis, though; I'm not finding anything authoritative in my searches.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Bacteria shouldn't have a limited ability to multiply anyways.

It might be that due to some kind of chemical change the bacteria can't survive in the finished-sour-cream environment and eventually die out? Not sure how it differs from yogurt in that aspect though.
Just looking it up online there are recipes that say you can use live-culture yogurt as a starter for making homemade sour cream as well, so it's not like there's a fundamental difference in the bacteria used.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Poldarn posted:

I hate to burst your bubble, but that video is fake. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the cable goes off-screen and there is another power source for the hair dryer.

:saddumb:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

pissinthewind posted:

My guess for a good start would be to learn Tagalog because of the sheer number of Filipino sailors but I don’t know where you would go from there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

pissinthewind posted:

My friend is doing this. It's a three year school to become a commercial naval officer (or something like that, I just call him captain even if it's inaccurate) and then you get to the big bucks. The school includes at least half a year of sailing too.

This is in Denmark, I don't know about other places.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

pissinthewind posted:

Any particular job you have in mind? You can audition to play in a band on a cruise ship if you play an instrument at a professional level.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Games and movies treat them like lightsabers but wouldn't chainsaws get stuck in Jackets or even jeans if you were to run amok with them? (asking for a friend)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Games and movies treat them like lightsabers but wouldn't chainsaws get stuck in Jackets or even jeans if you were to run amok with them? (asking for a friend)

No.

Not unless you wear special protective clothing that's designed to shred into fibres on contact with the chain, and jam it. Otherwise: yes, they will absolutely lightsaber your limbs off.

Source: some posts I read in the OSHA thread one time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Specifically teflon is used in chainsaw PPE, presumably because it's hard to cut through. The PPE works by jamming the saw up with long, tough fibers. The fibers in regular clothes would just get cut through.

That said, chainsaws can be dulled pretty rapidly by contact with metal, stone, or other hard materials. That won't stop them from loving you up, but after cutting through a limb or two, you'd probably want to stop and sharpen the blade.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

pissinthewind posted:

Where are you? In the US, you can either just get a lovely entry-level job on a freighter off Indeed.com or some other job website, or do a training program (usually two years) through a maritime training school and get a better gig as a deck officer.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

AlbieQuirky posted:

Where are you? In the US, you can either just get a lovely entry-level job on a freighter off Indeed.com or some other job website, or do a training program (usually two years) through a maritime training school and get a better gig as a deck officer.

I thought even if you're just a deckhand or whatever you still need to pay for a couple months of training and a license.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

If, hypothetically, someone planted a bunch of potatoes and then never harvested them, such that they were just sitting there underground all winter... can they just be left alone? Will they sprout again without intervention?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, they should just make more potatoes the next year. Many of them may have rotted or withered away or turned green (don't eat green potatoes), but if there are any that you dig up and you say, "well that just looks like a regular old potato" then it's fine to eat.

The main issue with leaving potatoes in the ground for too long is that it opens up your plot to the possibility of late blight (a disease) that is easily avoided if you harvest them each year. But if they come back and show no sights of blight, then nbd.

kedo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 30, 2022

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

My buddy is a merchant marine out of the United States. He went to an intense maritime academy, which is run like the military. Uniforms, no covers worn inside, room inspections, all that. He did a 4 year engineering degree that also included one or two "semesters at sea" where you are actively running a large ship while taking classes.

He ended up with a bachelor's degree and a bunch of certifications, including one for steam plants. He got scooped up by the US military to work on a communications ship out towards the middle east. He made a ton of money working as a civilian on a military ship.

After that he would just kind of pick and choose whatever jobs interested him for awhile, came back land side, and went to work for a nuclear plant.

He then sold his house, bought a travel trailer, and tooled around playing music in random dive bars.

Depending on how far you want to go with it, you could get a job working as a stagehand doing magic shows on a carnival cruise ship, like, today, with no background experience, as long as you can get your passport and probably TWIC card.

If you want to do something more ship related, you're best bet is to go to school.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Goon Boots posted:

I thought even if you're just a deckhand or whatever you still need to pay for a couple months of training and a license.

idk, the job postings on Indeed.com include jobs that specifically say “no license required” but maybe those are rare exceptions?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I keep getting spam calls from different numbers that get IDed as "National Disability", with a verified check-shield symbol. Occasionally they'll leave a voicemail claiming they want to help me with an application for disability blah blah that of course I've never actually made. Some googling shows that this is a known phishing scam. I haven't ever picked up or responded and they're up to calling several times a day.

Blocking the number doesn't seem to accomplish anything since they call from another random local number. Is there any way to report or block anything labeled National Disability regardless of phone number? I'm on an Android phone using Cricket Wireless.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My mother has been sorting through a bunch of old junk, preparatory to moving, and has found several old electric motors. Do these count as electric waste that has to be disposed of appropriately, or can they go in the regular trash? All I can find online is a bunch of articles on how you can take them apart and recycle individual components, which is way more work than we want to deal with.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
List them on Craigslist for free and people will take them for free and get money for the metal (assuming they are not just tiny toy motors or something). Even if they are someone’s kid will take them to play with/take apart.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'm looking for a good place to buy some good tea online as a gift. Something like Caffe Ladro or Raven's Brew, but for tea, and it should be good quality stuff. Any recommendations?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I order my tea from Upton tea imports. They have some really high quality teas and a wide range. Not sure what those other places are so don’t know how it compares.

uptontea.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'm looking for a good place to buy some good tea online as a gift. Something like Caffe Ladro or Raven's Brew, but for tea, and it should be good quality stuff. Any recommendations?

I highly recommend this website. Their teas are excellent.