Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Are there any decent freeware programs that provide some basic functions that Adobe Acrobat does? Primarily inserting/rotating/deleting pages, creating new PDFs from individual pages and combining two PDFs to form a single one. We have a trial of Adobe Acrobat 9 at work that's going to expire in about 20 days but I can't seem to justify the purchase price.

Plus Acrobat is so big, size wise so it'd be nice to get something more compact and simple.

edit: even though it's $50 (cheap enough), any opinions on CutePDF?

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

Nah its not a bed bug, I did a GIS for bedbugs shortly after I got out of the shower and they seem to be flatter. I think it's just a male ant.

Maybe you can ask in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309515

I'd scroll through it and look, but there's lots of creepy bugs in there.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

What would be the simplest way to do this, for someone who is generally computer-ignorant:

The small business I work for just switched nameservers from GoDaddy to Dreamhost. We've been using Outlook for viewing/receiving/sending mails with IMAP. What would be the best way to import the folders that are on the GoDaddy server, "close" the connection with that account (without deleting the folders in Outlook) and then setup the new email (mail.ourbusinessname.com)?

I have to do it with 4 separate email account and I have a feel it's going to be annoying and tedious. Thanks!

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

fishmech posted:

Did you enable Google Apps through Dreamhost? If you do that you can maintain Outlook compatibility, but the Google Apps mail interface also has a function that imports all mail from the old mailservers to the new accounts.

I haven't (haven't even accessed the Dreamhost account, just got the nameservers from the gal doing the web design) but I will now! Sounds fantastically simple. *crosses fingers*

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with being the youngest person at my workplace/knows the most (not saying much) about computers, so I'm automatically the tech person to fix everything.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

I'm positive someone asked this questions in this thread or the last incarnation, but I've searched for 20 minutes and can't find it.

What's a good resource for apartment searching in an area? Someone asked and a couple of the replies linked interactive maps where you can search area by price/bedrooms/pets/etc. or plug in your own factors of what you want/don't want. I'm pretty sure the website had some catchy name. Thanks!

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

BorderPatrol posted:

Lifehacker had a writeup of a few of them here

Thanks for the link. HotPads was the one I was thinking of.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Any recommending for a decent, low-priced voice recognition/speech-to-text software program? I've actually only heard of Dragon NaturallySpeaking (looks like it's about $99 for the basic home version) but I figure some goons might have some experience with some other programs. Thanks!

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Have there been any ask/tell threads in the past about becoming a real estate agent/broker? I'm debating taking classes for my license, but I'm curious about a first-hand perspective. I searched with no results, but it seems like it would have come up sometime.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Does this site/business look legit in any way? maxsecurecctv.com

I got a response on a job offer for this place (it was a CL ad, so hopefully that's not a scam either) that said they needed to do a background and credit check on me and sent a link to creditreport.com (is that even a legit site?).

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

For those of you familiar with VistaPrint/online printing:

Is it possible to design a trifold in VistaPrint and use the PDF proof they provide use as a design for another company (cheaper printing price)? Unfortunately the proof seems to be password-protected and has a big "PROOF" on it. I'd be willing to pay a goon to do it if possible.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

What would be the best way to send a one-time e-mail to ~320 people? I'm using Thunderbird/Dreamhost at work and BCCing everyone but can't send "quote exceeded". I assume Dreamhost thinks I'm spamming everyone. I don't want to sign up for something like Constant Constact since this is going to be a one-time thing. I have all of the e-mail addresses in a spreadsheet as well as listed individually line-by-line in a Notepad document.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

ibroxmassive posted:

You're BCCing, so why not just send 4 emails one after the other?

I can do that, but it'll take me 4 hours (100 recipients per hour). Just sent 90 out and looks like I can't do any more right now.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/SMTP_quota

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

I have a coupon for a free product at McDonald's which reads "Coupon may not be transferred, auctioned, sold, copied or duplicated in any way or transmitted via electronic media."

Would it be legit to give it away via a blog contest (no purchase necessary, one of those "leave a comment and be entered" deals.)?

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

McDonalds really can't tell you what you can do with the coupon. You're not renting it, you didn't sign an agreement, you never implicitly or explicitly agreed to their terms. Worst case, McDonalds would refuse to honor the coupon after it's been transfered, but first off, they're not going to know, and secondly, the teenager behind the counter making minimum wage isn't going to care.

Actually I got it second-hand too, so there you go.

I'm currently studying legal issues so part of me is saying McDonald's is going to come onto the website and be like, "Noooo you can't do that". I worry too much about little things like that.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Does the "C" in this image have any sort of specific typeface name or style? Trying to re-create an "N" that looks similar and looking for other examples.

http://www.ruionline.net/Images/cala_logo.gif

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

I was dumb and didn't renew a domain name I had with GoDaddy when it expired. I had a change of heart and want to get it back, but now the domain is parked ("Domains By Proxy, LLC" which is a GoDaddy company) and links to GoDaddy where it's up for grabs for the awesome price of $280. However, the registration expires 06/22/12.

I'm guessing the best bet would be to check back around that date and see if they renew it? It's okay if I don't get the site back, but I'm pretty much screwed in regards to the price right?

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

This is the flow for the domain-name registry process:

And here's as site explaining it. If you're within the 1-45+30 period, maybe you can get it back. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Ah well, thanks, I figured as much.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

john mayer posted:

Start out with a super short session. Otherwise you will likely burn.

I can't stress this enough. I'm pale as hell (typical goon pallor) and the gals at the place I went to said I should go in for 20 minutes. Couple days later, my whole front was bright red and doing everything was painful.

That was my first and last tanning session.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Have you checked inf your domain is on Godaddy's auction website?
https://auctions.godaddy.com

I bought an expired domain from there for $10 before.

Yep it is. $280 BIN price.

edit:

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Metroid Prime was better than Super Metroid*. Two was hellishly hard but worth it. I'm just chiming in because drat those were some good games.

*Super Metroid was the SNES game** so this means something.

**Besides A Link to the Past.

Wow, I need to bust out my GameCube. I spend so much time on Super Metroid (as well as LTTP) and enjoyed it immensely.

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone know what this font is (or a similar one on DaFont?) WhatTheFont isn't being helpful...