Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
How is sound in film done? Not foley work, but speech/dialogue. I know there are boom mics but are they really sensitive enough to record the incredibly clear sound you'd hear in a finished movie? Assume I'm a child here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

Sometimes that is exactly the case. Quite often they are not, or there's too much background noise, in which case they do ADR, which is literally the actors lip-synching with themselves in a quiet environment.

Thank you.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

What happens if someone murders another person on the ISS?

Who prosecutes the murderer? Where do they put the body? Would they draw up a plan to get the murderer down as quickly as possible, or would they just wait until the next flight goes up sometime? What happens to the murderer, would the rest of the crew have to restrain the person?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Legally it would probably follow laws similar to what you find in places like antarctica. Does the US oversee a lot of it because i wouldnt be surprised if it was followed all US laws. That said it probably depends what nationality murdered another nationality as well. A bit of a diplomatic blow up would occur.

The body would be put somewhere like a sealed body bag as they have contingency plans if someone died from natural causes. I know ive read something about that which detailed what they planned for MIR.

I also think they would want to bring the guy down ASAP because thats pretty hosed up for the rest of the crew. I assume someone would have to really snap to do that up there. Their mental health is monitored quite seriously. Theres a lot of variables.

Samopsa posted:

You could just quickly google it, there is a nice wiki-page on Space Law. For the ISS, countries have jurisdiction over their own modules, and an agreement is in place for the rest.

Thanks.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Is it just me, or does (weed smoke, cigarette smoke, whatever) stick to my clothes far less when it's cold out than when it's hot out? If so, why?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

OK, this makes sense in my head, so let's see if I can type this out in a way that makes sense. When air is warm, air molecules move about faster and more freely; when it's cold, they move more slowly and are closer together. Smoke molecules have to move from their point of origin (a cigarette or campfire) through the air, to your clothes. If they are bumping into other air molecules between point a and point b, they lose some of their energy and might not make it to your clothing. Think of smelling garbage around a dumpster. When it's warm out it's easier to smell that from a farther distance than when it's cold out.

Or to put it another way, the smell of something burning is carried by the energy of the radiant heat from its source. The energized molecules lose less energy when the surrounding temperature is warmer, so they can travel further.

I don't know if this is right, but it seems like a good explanation.

Thanks, it sounds pretty legit to me.

Noni posted:

Or it could be because when it's hot out, you sweat more, which means your clothes are damper, and damp fiber collects particles in the air more easily. I don't know for sure, I'm just throwing another possibility out there. :)

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the humidity in the air too?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

b0nes posted:

I am returning a camera to Amazon. It says to "return the RMA label in the package". Do they mean the actual box the camera is in or in the box that I am shipping the camera in?

I've always put it in the shipping box, on top of the product box.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

e. beaten nm

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I changed my first name but I don't have anything to prove it except my new social security card and the city paperwork. I got a pink letter in the mail saying I have a certified mail delivery I need to pick up with my new name on it and I've been freaking out and procrastinating about this. It says specifically that I need photo ID but I haven't gotten a chance to renew my permit (so it's expired) or change my name on it.

I tried to pick up a regular package a year or so ago with the paperwork I described above and I got no end of grief for it (they decided to redeliver rather than have me pick it up), I don't even know what to do about this or if they will try to redeliver it. What the gently caress do I do

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 18, 2013

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Sounds like step one is to get a picture ID with your new name on it. You've been without valid ID for at least a year? Cmon dude, get it together.

Yeah, I know. :/ A lot of personal poo poo's been happening that I won't go into here, but you're right. I guess I took it for granted, because I don't drive and bartenders don't care about expiration dates.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I'd just go in and explain the situation, and bring your old photo ID and the paperwork verifying your name change. If you're polite and explain the situation then they'll probably try to be as helpful as they can.

I haven't had photo ID since October 2011. It's not caused me any problems. It might be more difficult if I'd never had it, but an expired learner's permit is still valid for just about anything other than actually driving a car.

Thank you, I'll do this today.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I hear the word "towards" pronounced more like "tords" and less like uh... how it's spelled, I guess, which is how I say it. I'm no linguist.

Is this a regional difference? I've heard it both ways.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Oof I did not mean to start a pronunciation derail, sorry

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

How much carbon monoxide would 950 ml of formic acid and 950 ml of sulfuric acid produce all at once?

What about a gallon of both?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

Assuming 100% concentration on both you have:
100% * 950ml * 1.22g/ml = 1159g / 46.03g/mol = 25.18 mol of HCOOH
100% * 950ml * 1.84g/ml = 1748g / 98.08g/mol = 17.82 mol of H2SO4

Their reaction is, 1 + 1 -> 1 + 1
H2SO4(l) + HCOOH(l) -> CO(g) + H2SO4:H2O(l)

So you would end up with:
7.35 mol HCOOH
0 mol H2SO4
17.82 mol CO
17.82 mol H2SO4:H2O

The H2SO4:H2O and remaining HCOOH remain a liquid, the CO becomes a gas.
Under STP 17.82 mol of CO becomes:
V=17.82mol * .08206 * 298K
V=435 liters

A gallon each (4x as much) would make 4x as much gas. Either way, its a ton of CO which can quickly suffocate someone in a close space, and the reason this reaction is a dangerous one. It's also likely that you do not have pure concentrations of either acid, but starting from the beginning you can carry that change forward.

Thank you

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Thanks for the murder tip!

Not murder, pal.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I'm researching for a story.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

My laptop screen is hosed up (cracked, I assume, going by the black splotches and weird lines) so I'm using a cable connected to another monitor. I don't have the money to fix this poo poo this month, can I use it this way for a month or so or will running it cause damage to the rest of the computer somehow?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Capt. Morgan posted:

That is perfectly fine, that's what it's there for. You may need to be careful with overheating if you keep laptops lid down.

Thank you.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I want to replace the temple arms on a pair of sunglasses. Are those metal hinges a standard size and are the arms sold separately anywhere?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

john mayer posted:

If they're nice sunglasses like a name brand you can buy replacement arms. Most retailers can order them for you. Otherwise an optometrist office might be able to fix them but its probably just worth buying new sunglasses.

Thanks.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Is there a thread on skateboards?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Thanks

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Is it possible to actually whip someone's clothes off

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Anyone have a good, cheap idea how to make a pair of Archer's night vision goggles for Halloween?

The glasses are the hard part, I suppose. I can just paint the lenses green and not give a poo poo about seeing through them.

Welding goggles, (like these http://m.ebay.com/itm/171063357732?nav=SEARCH ) switch out the lenses for green plastic like the other posters were saying. A good gray paint on the outside after masking off the front section, and you can tilt the lenses up so you can actually see, if youre too hammered

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 28, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Nibble posted:

What are the best ways to donate:

- Clothing of all sorts (jeans and t-shirts to coats to suits)
- Old electronics (phones and digital cameras)
- Assorted toys and games

Preferably places I can just go and drop them off instead of having to ship. For clothes I know there are those random donation bins you see everywhere but no idea how reliable they are for actually getting them to someone who needs them. I'm in NY if there are any particularly local options.

http://www.newalternativesnyc.org/ or anywhere mentioned here http://www.astorians.com/community/index.php?topic=18024.0 for the clothes. They could also use grooming supplies, tampons and the like.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 22, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

eh nm you got it

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 23, 2015

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Crankit posted:

I really enjoy eating spicy food, but it often upsets my stomach and then it feels like I'm pooping liquid fire. Is there any way I can prevent this distress in my bowel after eating enspicened foods?

Eat a banana afterward, works every time.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

:chloe:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i have a little light cube that uses three lr44 batteries, so 4.5 volts total. what's a good way to turn it into a rechargeable device? i see some rechargeable lr44s but i don't want to do that. i want to be able to plug my cube in and charge it directly.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

agreed, it's intensely liberating to be in a friend group where people are cool and nobody judges you for what you're into, because everyone's just as big a dork

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

is there a way for me to stop thinking about what a piece of poo poo i am that deserves everything bad that happens to me, that doesn't involve weed or booze

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

am i doing something wrong with braided charger cables? i don't treat my stuff poorly, yet a braided cable has never lasted longer than a few months. it's like the added weight of the nylon causes connection problems eventually

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

am i doing something wrong with braided charger cables? i don't treat my stuff poorly, yet a braided cable has never lasted longer than a few months. it's like the added weight of the nylon causes connection problems eventually

anybody?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Motronic posted:

I've never had this problem. Typically braided cables are better. This is why you aren't likely getting any answers.

The only place where I could see you having an issue with a quality braided cable is if you are one of those people that hangs things off of them or otherwise creates a tight bend at either connector. Since there's more material on a braided cable that's going to make it fail even faster than a regular cable.

it's possible the cables i buy are low-quality. i need a lightning cable, which one is good?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

what happened to three-phase? i know he selfbanned, but why?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

are they ok :ohdear:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i wish they sold the wafers without the cream in normal retail size

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

How many lampshades made of human skin do you have on your basement?

none on my basement, two in my basement, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Run hot water for an extra 30 seconds when gunky type of stuff has been going down the drain. Maybe send a potful of boiling water down once a week

i put baking soda and vinegar down the drain, let it bubble for a while, then flush it with a big pot of boiling water. works like a charm when the slow drain is caused by general gunk and not hair.