Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

There also the fact that water molecules are polar, and air molecules are mostly non-polar. You might be able to have a selective barrier based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The problem with metal in microwaves comes from the fact that electricity flowing through the metal will arc between two points that are nearby in space, but not in distance along the metal. For example, the ends of the tines of a fork are a few millimeters away from each other in space, but several centimeters along the metal. A fork will definitely spark in a microwave. A knife on the other hand is mostly one flat continuous piece, and would probably be fine in a microwave. Its the same thing with aluminum foil unless its perfectly flat, it will arc between two close pieces.

A metal rack designed to be microwavable will take these facts into consideration. You should stick with the racks that came with your microwave though, a metal rack for oven use might still spark.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Also unless I'm forgetting something, the the units don't matter for that problem. You take (m1*t1+m2*t2)/(m1+m2). This gives you an answer in whatever units t1 and t2 had in the first place.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Imagine this said in an English accent by a police officer:

"You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you later rely on in court."

What does this mean? How am I supposed to know what I want to rely on in court? Do the courts in England really expect you to have a clear court strategy mapped out at the time of arrest?

Random link from Google: http://www.northumbria.police.uk/ebeat/myhub/crimepunishment/index.asp

It pretty much means "Tell us what happened now, don't try and invent a sorry later, or we will ask why you didn't have that story in the first place."

For instance: you are found at a murder scene covered in blood, and refuse to talk to the police. Later in court you claim you saw someone else kill the man, they are going to question why you didn't say anything at first. It doesn't mean they totally discount your later story, just that they consider it less reliable.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

When playing some old games, the colors on my desktop wash out and I get a message saying windows has gone into basic color mode. I'm ok with it turning off the advanced features like transparency, but what I hate is the color scheme it reverts to includes extremely light blue windows with white text that I cannot read with it hurting my eyes. I can't find anyway to change these settings, but I'm sure there must be.

edit: I was going to take a picture, but apparently print screen is turned off by this as well.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 7, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It sounds like the game is setting your screen to 256 colours. It's probably just trying to use the closest match to your regular colour scheme. If it's just while you're playing a game though, what's the issue? It reverts to normal when you finish playing, doesn't it?
Sometimes it reverts but not always. It doesn't look like 256 colors, just turning areo off. Its fine when it happens, I don't care about areo, I just want what it change what color the taskbar is in it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Whats a good tool to combine several .flv files into one larger one? I googled around, but there seem to be 100 different FREE! programs for it, which I figure are mostly just spyware. The vidoe files are mostly .flvs from twitch streams that got broken into 2 hour chunks.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

I've also heard putting it in a bowl of cold water and letting cold water from the faucet run continually into it works well.

That sounds like a huge waste of water compared to filling a bag a few times.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

It seems more common for members of the House to run for Senate rather than vice versa. Why is this so? Is the Senate perceived to be more influential or prestigious?

Both bodies of congress have roughly equal power, but the House of Representatives has over four times as many people sharing that power.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I finally got a blue ray player for my computer, and I'm trying to watch a movie with it... only I guess it needs something else. On my computer the disk shows up and you can look around as all the hundreds of files on it, but when I say with with WMP or VLC like I would a DVD it gives an error message that it can't open or can't recognize that kind of file. Is there some other program I need to be able to watch blue rays on my computer?

On further investigation it seems that computers are just flat out unable to play blue ray movies?

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 31, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cool, stuff like this is exactly why I read this thread. It answers questions I never knew I had.

John McCain posted:

You'll need to acquire Blu-Ray Player software. It's proprietary and not included in Windows like DVD Player software is.

Are there any free programs that can do this? I bought the drive OEM so it didn't come with anything. It's support page on LG's website doesn't have anything. I've seen posts of people talking about AACS keys to get VLC to play encrypted blue rays, but I have no idea if that what I want or if its talking about :filez:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Crankit posted:

Yes that is bad, but not normally dangerous, this will lead to elevated CO2 levels for you both and if carried on for a while you'll feel how you do when you hold your breath and need to breathe, however this instinct will save you and you won't die. If you were to do this with a baby or pet they would almost certainly die, 18 children died from this form of asphyxia last year in the US.

Is this a joke answer? Exhaled breath is almost the same as inhaled breath in terms of gas composition. It looks like a single "breath" of air could be used 4 or more times before being too saturated with C02. Since gases mix freely though, breathing in someone's exhale would never be an issue other than cases where your both in a small airtight box, and even though it doesn't seem like it would kill you any faster.

Wikipedia posted:

The air we inhale is roughly composed of (by volume):
78% nitrogen
21% oxygen
0.96% argon
0.04% carbon dioxide, helium, water, and other gases

The permanent gases in gas we exhale are 4% to 5% by volume more carbon dioxide and 4% to 5% by volume less oxygen than was inhaled. This expired air typically composed of:
78% nitrogen
13.6% - 16% Oxygen
4% - 5.3% Carbon dioxide
1% Argon and other gases
If that was a real statistic, I'm curious and would like to know more about why it happens.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 3, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Just looking for a general consensus here (if that's even possible) -- is a "restaurant" any place you can sit down and eat out at (e.g.: Chinese, McDonald's, pizza, diner, etc.) or is it only a family restaurant (Denny's, Applebee's, Bob Evans, etc.)?

Most generally, I would say the that a place is a restaurant if you sit down an order from a server who delivers your food, and fast food or a cafeteria otherwise.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How fast does bad bacteria or whatever build up in milk residue in a used glass?

I drink milk with most meals, and usually just leave my empty glass on the table since I'll be back to in a few hours to use it again. My roommate insists that even after just 4 hours, bad stuff will form in the residue, and that I should use a new glass every meal. It seems like a waste to me use 2-3 glasses a day like that, and she claims that just rinsing it isn't enough. Am I being lazy or is she being overzealous about germs?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

slackerbitch posted:

What's the best way to cover up a tattoo for work? It's a two-to-three inch circle above my right ankle. I figured if I was in a work setting that wasn't okay with tattoos, I'd probably also need to wear long slacks as well, but my current job involves working with children. The dress code is somewhat relaxed over summer, and I'd rather not sweat through dress pants in August.

I could wrap it in a gauze or an Ace bandage, but that might get weird questions. Or I could try putting make-up over it, though I don't know if the tattoo might bleed through.

You could try an ankle brace depending on how long of a time frame your looking at, just say you sprained it really bad.

edit: If they mind in the first place. If you already work for them, just ask your boss.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is it possible to be allergic to heavy cream, but not to milk? I drink 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whole milk a day and never have any problems. If I have even a tablespoon of whipped cream made with heavy cream, my stomach kills for a few hours.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I read an article in a science journal that explained why zebras never evolved gatling guns, even though such an adaptation would be a great defense against lions. It talked about exapation, saying that a complex adaptation must arise from a series of simpler, useful adaptations. I think they forgot to mention that miniguns use materials that are not really available to living organisms.

Correct me if my reasoning is wrong:

Silver and copper wires are the best conductors of electricity. But wires are solid metal and are not made of cells, so I don't see how a living organism could grow a copper wire. Can an organism ever grow anything that conducts electricity with the same efficiency as solid copper? If not, then there are a whole bunch of human technologies that living tissue could never duplicate.

Am I on the right track, here?

Wires as we know them are pretty unlikely to ever be developed by a living organism, mostly because they are an inefficient use of a rare-ish material. But wires as a concept, something that transmits electrical signals, have evolved. Every animal larger than a few cells has them, we just call them nerves.

Additionally, there are animals like eels that can use electricity to attack other creatures. There are even some animals like Pistol Shrimp that have evolved a close analog to a gun to hunt with.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

muike posted:

Why is waste energy expelled as heat instead of another kind of radiation?

All temperature is is how fast particles are moving, so kinetic energy is heat, and every type of electromagnetic radiation can heat something up. Microwaves produce microwave scale radiation to transfer heat. Heat lamps and light bulbs produce mostly visible and infrared radiation that transfer heat. Tanning beds make UV radiation. Even the extreme ends like radio waves and X-rays transfer heat, but just not in conditions that would be safe for you to notice it.

All objects that are hotter than their surroundings will emit heat in the form of radiation. The type of radiation is dependent on the temperature of the object. In the 0-300 degree C range the radiation will be infrared, which we can't see (but things like infrared goggles can). In the 300+ degree C range things will start to emit some of their energy as visible light and glow red like molten metal. Hot enough in the 5000+ degree range and something is glowing yellow like our sun. Any much hotter and the color gets washed out since we can't see UV light, so things just glow white.

PS: Its annoying that both electromagnetic waves and nuclear decay products are both called radiation, when they are two different things. There is some common history with gamma radiation, but it's confusing to a lot of people who just think radiation = bad.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Swing State Victim posted:

As Namarrgon said, they burn it. The science behind it is kinda cool, so I'll explain a little more.

Sugars combust into essentially the same products (energy and CO2) as when they are metabolised by the body; the process is just much more controlled when living things do it. However, special care has to be taken to ensure you capture all the energy of the food, and capture it in a way that you can measure. The classic, simple example of this is coffee cup calorimetry. You place the substance to be burned and a coffee cup with water in a sealed container that does not conduct heat well. You burn the substance and the heat is transferred to the water in the coffee cup. You then measure the temperature change in the water and can do some math to find out how much energy was produced. Generally, you need a slow burn to get an accurate measurement or you will get incomplete combustion.

There's more on other techniques and the thermodynamic reasoning behind them here.

How do they account for things we don't burn but fire does. Fiber and fake sugars for instance.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

So its raining pretty hard in St. Louis, and the Nation Weather Service just issued a flood warning for my area. Uncommon, but not unusual, and won't effect me.

What was unusual is the way I got alerted. My phone, a pretty much factory settings iphone 4, just sent off a siren with the flood warning as a message. It wasn't a text or call, it just showed up over the main page. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, is this something new and how did they do it?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Assuming 100% concentration on both you have:
100% * 950ml * 1.22g/ml = 1159g / 46.03g/mol = 25.18 mol of HCOOH
100% * 950ml * 1.84g/ml = 1748g / 98.08g/mol = 17.82 mol of H2SO4

Their reaction is, 1 + 1 -> 1 + 1
H2SO4(l) + HCOOH(l) -> CO(g) + H2SO4:H2O(l)

So you would end up with:
7.35 mol HCOOH
0 mol H2SO4
17.82 mol CO
17.82 mol H2SO4:H2O

The H2SO4:H2O and remaining HCOOH remain a liquid, the CO becomes a gas.
Under STP 17.82 mol of CO becomes:
V=17.82mol * .08206 * 298K
V=435 liters

A gallon each (4x as much) would make 4x as much gas. Either way, its a ton of CO which can quickly suffocate someone in a close space, and the reason this reaction is a dangerous one. It's also likely that you do not have pure concentrations of either acid, but starting from the beginning you can carry that change forward.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I might be dreaming this up, but I recall a website where you can upload a piece of music and it will tell you where its from or songs that sound similar to it. Is this a real thing? Something like tineye but for melodies.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 22, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I drink a diet soda most mornings sometime between breakfast and lunch. Ive come to realize that I'm really only doing it for the effects of the caffeine, and don't care about the taste. Would it not be better for me just to take a caffeine pill instead since diet soda has been tentatively linked to a myriad of bad things?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Letters get stamped with a mark that includes an ID number for a post office (Zip code?), so probably through that.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

change my name posted:

It was a story on evolutionary circuits featured on damninteresting.com. I'm pretty sure it was true.

http://www.damninteresting.com/on-the-origin-of-circuits/#continue

Sounds pretty awesome. It should be noted that the evolved circuit did not preform better than a traditional one designed to do the task. It was the facts that it did it without being designed by a human and that the design took advantage of magnetic effects that are usually ignored or mitigated in traditional design. That the evolved design would not work on other FPGAs indicates that the it was using features on smaller scale than the FPGA's design tolerance which may be interesting for miniaturization.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I've never understood why gas prices such a big deal in the US, both political and to the average person. I pay more for food than I do gas, I pay more for utilities, I pay more for my phone/internet, and I pay many more times for rent. You never heard people talking about these prices, but if gas goes up 10 cents, you had better bet it will be on the news and people will complain about it even if its just costing them a few dollars a week. Especially since gas in every other country is several times more expansive.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

How bad is Delta airlines exactly? I'm taking three flights with them, two of them international. The longest flight is 11 hours, and the entire journey is 24 hours. I'll have to fork over a few hundred dollars more for a different airline, and I don't really feel like doing that.

Not bad enough to buy your own ticket if you were getting the Delta one free though.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

For about a week all of the overlays on youtube have stopped working for me. Stuff like the quality control popup, timestamps, the similar video popups at the end. Weirdest part is that they are broken in both Firefox and IE. Anyone else getting this, or have an idea on how to fix it?

edit: Other video site like twitch work just fine.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 8, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

For about a week all of the overlays on youtube have stopped working for me. Stuff like the quality control popup, timestamps, the similar video popups at the end. Weirdest part is that they are broken in both Firefox and IE. Anyone else getting this, or have an idea on how to fix it?

edit: Other video site like twitch work just fine.

Something even wierder just happened. I got asked to do a captcha by youtube because "Sorry for the interruption. We have been receiving a large volume of requests from your network. To continue with your YouTube experience, please enter the verification code below."

I've probably watched 15 minutes of youtube in the last 24 hours...

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

XBurritoXLogicX posted:

How do carcinogens and radation that a person isn't constantly exposed to cause cancer later? For example a bunch of people that survive a large dose of radation all dying early or in the same time frame of various cancers.

I always thought DNA damage was a "now or nothing" type deal. The cells DNA is damaged and in 99% of cases it is killed off but every once and a while you get cancer. Is there gradual degredation that isn't repaired? Laymans terms please. Speak to me like a child. :shrug:

A lot of times it has to do with inhaling/ingesting atoms that are still radioactive themselves. For example a radioactive isotope of iodine is produced in nuclear meltdowns/bombs. Our bodies need iodine and it isn't super common (well its added to salt these days to take care of that), so we store it up. The body can't tell the difference between regular iodine and the radioactive kind, so it's happy to store radioactive iodine in your lymph nodes, where the continual release of radiation can cause damage over a longer timescale. This is reason why iodine pills were given out, they were to "fill you up" with regular iodine so your body wouldn't try and store the radioactive stuff.

The second possible answer is that while radiation does immediately damage a cell, it can take a while for a single bad cell to become a problem. The classic case here is radiation induced cancer. One bit of radiation damages one cell in a way that makes it cancerous. It will still take time for that single cell to grow into a tumor large enough to cause problems.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Why does Egypt have so many people? Looking at its region on Google Maps, it seems Libya, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and Algeria all outsize it, but their populations are absolutely dwarfed by Egypt's.

The Nile river valley and the Suez Canal. Food and trade locations make a place populous and wealthy. Its the same reason Egypt was a powerful ancient civilization.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Is it ok to give your mom a blender for her birthday?

Is it new and cool and your mom likes blending things? Is it a bog standard blender because your old one broke?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It will obviously vary school to school, but at my school it was just that to take more than 4 per trimester you needed your academic advisor to sign off on it. Try asking your advisor or the registrar's office.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You could put something like pigeon spikes on top of the wall.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Raimundus posted:

Wait, where you live, do you typically make a distinction between a condominium and an apartment? In the U.S., we buy condos and rent apartments. I've actually never heard of anyone buying an individual apartment.

I always thought that buying vs renting was the only difference between the two, are there other legal differences?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

photomikey posted:

My family is renting a large house in Wisconsin for the remainder of this week, and this weekend. I coordinated the whole thing.

There are 26 of us in total.

In addition to arranging the vacation, I took it upon myself to plan breakfasts/lunches for the family. We're midwesterners, and eat heartland food - stuff like eggs & sausage, ham sandwiches, pancakes, etc. (Also, stuff that is relatively easy to prepare for a crowd of 26.) Because we are all trickling in on the first night (and I had money left over), I got a case of frozen burgers, hotdogs, buns, and accouterments.

On an initial driveby of the property today, it turns out that, while it does have a fully equipped kitchen that gets overall good reviews, it does not have a BBQ grill.

I am open to suggestions on what I am supposed to do with 40 hamburgers and no grill, along with 26 hungry people.

If you have enough range space and enough pans you could fry (not deep fry) the burgers.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there any way to make youtube always use the highest quality rather than starting at 480p and manually increasing it? Doubling annoying since sometimes the gear will spin and spin, but the picture would never get any better. When this happen I just download the file, some 4mb/s, so internet speed isn't the problem.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

If you're using Chrome, look up the Youtube Options extension. Probably a close analogue for Firefox, and :lol: IE.

Yeah it's a bit stupid that YT doesn't do this out of the box :shrug:

Not sure why I didn't think of this. Here is the link to a Firefox one that seems to be working for me https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-high-definition/?src=search

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

systran posted:

Where is the binary system Cygni 61 in relation to Earth's orbital plane? How can I figure this out without asking people? I tried googling a bunch of poo poo for like 15 minutes and simply can't figure it out.

If my lack of astronomy has phrased the question wrong; basically I am asking if you wanted to go from Earth to that system (assuming you could move in a straight line and ignore all orbital physics etc.), would you travel nearly on Earth's orbital plane or would you move sharply outside of it? Or somewhere in between?

61 Cygni lies at Right ascension: 21h 06m 53.9434s Declination: +38° 44′ 57.898″ according to Wikipedia. You can read more about what exactly this means here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_ascension, but in relation to earth's orbital plane it is ~38 degrees above the equatorial plane and then within 23 degrees of that.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

This is both stupid and small, but does anyone know how to make netflix instant show the current time rather than the time remaining?