Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ImmortalYawn posted:

Except for Noddy and many other places "gay" has been removed from...so dont be so hasty.

The beard thing wasn't a joke. WTF?

The usage is sometimes removed from old songs and writings because the meaning has changed in the modern day, not because it meant "homosexual" when those things were written, people can laugh at things even if they aren't intended as jokes, and you're so dim I'm honestly a little unnerved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

kapalama posted:

Is there a term for the 'orchestral plucked string sound' TV shows have lately been using as a Laugh Track of sorts?

"Music sting" usually, and on a related note, the thing cartoons and some comedies do of having music kind of "narrate" a character's movements (like a chord for each step he takes or something) is called "Mickey Mousing."

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

thefoozl posted:

I have hedgehogs that keep coming and stealing my cats food. My wife doesn't particularly want them dead. So how should I best get rid of them without spending any money?

My best idea so far is to pick them up with some large tongs and put them in a bucket, then dump them elsewhere.
If you do this please post a video of the hedgehog bucket.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If I bring my own travel mug and my own tea (usually loose in a teaball), is it a dick move to ask a coffee shop for hot water and use a dash of their milk to finish it off? I assume no if I'm buying other things, but sometimes I feel like a jerk if I'm not buying anything. OTOH, my tea is better and I don't want to pay to drink crap. :ohdear:

Yeah, it's kind of a dick move. It would be less of one if you were buying something else, or accompanying people who were buying stuff, but try to remember that "inexpensive" doesn't mean "free," so you're being a mooch at best.

Honestly I would suggest you try not to be such a hothouse flower and either deign to drink something that's for sale at the shop you're patronizing, or stop going to shops that don't meet your standards.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Goons are fuckin' weird and I would have no problem either asking for, or giving hot water. The health inspector is not going to jump out of a potted plant and shut down the Starbucks because you're drinking out of your own cup, that's just absurd. The fraction of a penny that a cup of hot water costs isn't going to put them out of business either. Buy one of their overpriced muffins once a month if you still feel bad about it.

"Being polite? How loving weird!" I love how to goons like you the only way not to be "weird" is to be an obtuse, selfish rear end in a top hat one hundred percent of the time. Anything less just wouldn't be logical, beep boop.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Let me get this straight.. You think that asking for hot water and some milk at a college food court makes you an obtuse, selfish rear end in a top hat?

I mean, at the most I can see someone saying: "Jeeze, that guy's annoying."

but generally people who start hurling insults about people's character for something so minuscule are the ones who tend to be the assholes.

No, of course not, I'm expanding to talk about the general attitude of goons like Rent-A-Cop, who get all snorty if anyone even mentions that politeness might be a thing someone would care about. It's not the end of the world to drink your own tea in a coffee shop, but it's not "weird" to understand that it's rude either. It's Rent-A-Cop's "Manners? Why I never!" that I think is obtuse and selfish.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dudebro posted:

Is it okay to wear a black shirt with black pants (and appropriate tie) in a business setting? I'm trying on some new shirts I got and it seems a bit dark or too at-your-service.

What's the cut of the shirt? Do you have any gray pants? What about a gray tie? Basically you might do well to break up the black a little, but annoyingly adding a bright color might make you look even more like a waiter. But generally if your clothes are slim-cut and ironed you'll look more like a Guy Wearing Black than "Hi I'm Dudebro and I'll be your server tonight."

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dudebro posted:

It would be black pants and the ties are black+silver patterned so they do break it up a bit. I don't think it's trying too hard to add brightness as far as the ties go. It's a business setting involving lawyers and litigation (not a law office though). The shirts and ties were recommended by an experienced gentleman at a men's clothing store and the rest of the stuff that I bought I like.

Nothing has been ironed so I guess it doesn't look ideal yet.

I'm sure it's fine. :)

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Very Strange Things posted:

I live in Northern New England. Four geese just flew overhead, honking. They were flying Northeast. Why did that happen?

Migration, like hibernation, is nowhere near as uniform and orderly as nature documentaries make it seem. Those geese obviously haven't migrated south yet, and maybe won't.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Wagonburner posted:

My 6 year old loves mspaint and we have about $50 more to spend on her for christmas.

I'm thinking about a drawing tablet, I had an atari one when I was a kid and it was great but I don't know anything about modern ones. All I've seen online are pressure sensitive and mostly expensive, we won't need that for mspaint.

How does it work anyway? You just use it as the mouse? Use the pen to select another mspaint tool or click file/save?

I saw a couple for 40-50 on newegg (genius brand) but wasn't sure they'd do what we wanted. plus the pen needs batteries and that kinda sucks.

Would there be something any type of stick/stylus/retracted ballpoint would work with? Any suggestions?

The $50 genius one was pressure sensitive which makes me think something that isn't (like my old atari one) would be even cheaper if I knew what to search for.

Here's a thread in CC that talks about tablets.

You want a Wacom brand if you're planning to use it a long time - nobody else's quality really compares. They have a line of small tablets called Bamboo that's probably what you're looking for. They do basically work like a mouse - you connect it to your computer via USB, run the install CD, and go to town. The stylus can even be used to do normal computing tasks like clicking on desktop icons and stuff if you want.

As far as I know there's no such thing as a non-pressure-sensitive tablet anymore. It's just how the technology works, and trust me, it makes it much more intuitive to learn. The same thing goes for styluses - they're really not interchangeable from brand to brand anymore, but the Wacom ones do last a long time. Wacom styluses also don't need batteries.

Wacom tablets also come with Photoshop Elements, which is a pretty great drawing and photo editing program for general use, although a kid would probably love Artrage even more, because it's just like using real art supplies.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Do racehorses have any sense they're in a race?

Kiinda. Horses aren't all that bright compared to some other animals humans pal around with, but they have an instinctual drive to run with a pack, and, in racehorses, an instinct to be at the head of that pack. They know when a jockey's on their back, and they know when they're in a situation that will lead to treats and nose rubs, but they usually aren't concerned with, like, the crowd cheering them on.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Either. How much do they comprehend what's going during a race?

So can we say they have a desire to win? Or are they just doing what they do because some guy is hitting them with a whip?

They have a desire to feel the sensation of having no horses ahead of them and many horses behind them, but no concept of that as "winning." It's just that being the leader of the pack is like being President of Horses for them. They find it... instinctually satisfying, the way eating or procreating might be.

I think the key here is to realize horses have no concept of a "finish line." Wild horses will appear to be racing even though they have nowhere in particular to go. They'll just run like that until they get tired or distracted.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

the posted:

What category do I drill down to on Amazon.com to browse men's leather satchels/briefcases/etc.?

Clothing/Men/Accessories/Wallets. Satchels and briefcases are in luggage, but you're probably better off doing a keyword search there.

Edit: Durr... you didn't even ask for wallets. Well whatever. "Men's leather satchel" kicked up a lot of results.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

betterinsodapop posted:

Maybe Reebok Classics? You can buy them almost anywhere. They are the industry standard for nurses (and geeky IT guys with pagers.)

Meanwhile...
I need to buy an inflatable air mattress. It needs to be fast inflating and very simple to use with a with a built-in pump. I don't care how much it costs; I'm buying it on an expense account for my employer. Please recommend me a specific model, or provide a link, if you can.

Aerobed. It's about as close as you can get to a regular bed.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

chachu posted:

I just got a Pampered Chef unglazed stone baker thing. I can bake a hamburger broccoli casserole in this, right? I assume I can, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Seems like any mention of a casserole also mentions a glazed dish instead of unglazed.
I don't really know what all goes in hamburger broccoli casserole, but I wouldn't put anything in an unglazed dish that could stain - so no tomato sauce or stuff like that.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

chachu posted:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I know the unglazed stoneware discolours a lot anyway with a lot of use so it probably wouldn't bother me. I actually found a card of recipes that came with the dish and it recommends cornbread chili pie, so I went ahead and dumped the casserole in. I mean, I can't think of a reason why it would somehow be worse than chili pie or apple cobbler.

Oh well then yeah, go to town. I guess the only concern beyond that would be lingering odors, but if all else fails, try white vinegar.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a way to globally change the tenses in a document from Future to Past easily? My wife is in a grad class and they made all of the students change the first draft of their documents to future tense because their projects weren't done yet. Now that the projects are done, their making them change back to past tense.

She can't just revert because there were edits made in the interim.

I don't know of one beyond search and replace, which be a huge pain in the rear end, but please tell your wife I think that is some bullshit and her professors are jerks.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

BJPaskoff posted:

I need a large, loud countdown timer for tournaments I'm running. It needs to be large enough for people to see from across the room, and loud enough for people to be able to hear over lots of conversation. What's the best, cheapest solution for this? Searches on eBay and Amazon and all that have only led me to massive $500 clocks.

Would it be possible to hook a laptop up to a TV? Because then you could do the clock fullscreen and make the sound effects pretty much anything you want.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Tangra posted:

LAN parties? :kiddo:

Aggro Crag? :kiddo:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Orzo posted:

Did you try https://www.google.com

"Black Heaven", found this with "lobster on middle finger anime", no quotes.

Lots of answers to questions in this thread can be found through googling, but you don't have to be a prick about it. Sometimes people are looking for a concise answer and hope someone will know off the top of their head. And if you're going to do the Here, Let Me Google That for You treatment, couldn't you at least include the link to the result?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Wagonburner posted:

If I'm at work and I hear a person cough or sigh without seeing them (usually if I'm in the shitter-stall and they walk in the bathroom) I can almost all the time tell who it is. And I don't know that I would have necessarily had to have heard them cough or sigh before and chose to remember the sound or something, but I think I can tell just from knowing their voice, it seems like part of their voice carries over to their cough.

Is that what it is? the cough or sigh having to go through the vocal cords and being "imprinted" on by them somewhat the same way they do the person's speaking voice? Or do I have some type of super talent that could be used for good or evil?

I can do that too, and I think it's normal. Coughs and sighs are vocalized somewhat, so if you know the person's voice you can usually recognize them.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

change my name posted:

I just want to know what to do about a pair of boat shoes I have that are about half a size too big. I was going to return them but they got dirty so now I have to tough it out. Should I just wear 2 pairs of socks when I go out?

Also I want an opinion on sambas

Don't wear socks with boat shoes - either clean them up and try to return them, sell them, or donate them and chalk it up to a lesson in trying things on. But seriously - boat shoes aren't worn with socks.

Sambas are great, very classic. You may wear socks with them.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, students do bold their paper titles sometimes, but it's not recommended by any of the style guides. If you really must bold it, bold all of it, so like Racism in Huckleberry Finn, but it's really not necessary.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy "The Cinematic Orchestra 'Man With A Movie Camera'" on DVD? I can't find it anywhere and I have been searching literally for years.

Seriously? It's the first result on Amazon.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Seriously? Maybe if you would learn how to read you would see that is the original version, so next time you want to try to be a snarky rear end in a top hat you should probably get your poo poo straight first.

Well maybe you could have specified that wasn't what you wanted, pissy-pants. You can do your own drat googling now, good luck.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Bojanglesworth posted:
Does anyone know where I can buy "The Cinematic Orchestra 'Man With A Movie Camera'" on DVD? I can't find it anywhere and I have been searching literally for years.

Yeah rear end in a top hat, and typing exactly that into Amazon gives you the result I linked. Googling that only brings up references to the original work. If there's some derivative work you're looking for instead, you need better keywords and a less hysterical personality.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Must be some bizarro Internet you are using because thats not what comes up when I copy and paste exactly what I typed into Amazon or Google. I have a feeling that will be the case for anyone else who does the same.

My question still stands.

And I'm sure people will be falling all over themselves to help such a gracious and communicative person. Please to note that not once during this half-page temper-tantrum of yours did you deign to clarify what you're looking for. Other people are real, you know. We don't all live in your spergiverse where we can read your mind.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Pizer posted:

Is Kanye known as "Yeezy" just because he once needed to rhyme it with "Sleazy" In flashing lights or is there a real reason?

One of his nicknames is "Ye," short for Kanye, and Ye - Yeezy is a pretty short hop. But don't think too hard about it, it's not like there's a coded message in there or anything. Rappers just riff on each other's names a lot.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Pizer posted:

Wa -> Weezie
Br -> Breezie
Ky -> Kyeezie

but yeah rappers etc, got it

It's not like... an alphabet or anything. I really think you're overthinking it.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Anjow posted:

That's not quite what I was thinking of, but it will certainly do for now. Thanks.

Self-fellating? :v:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

WHEEZY DECK A HALL posted:

What the gently caress is "Minnesota nice?"

Basically acting like Flanders. Wikipedia has an article on it, apparently.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

betterinsodapop posted:

"Minnesota nice" made me think of the movie Fargo. Though, Fargo is in North Dakota and not Minnesota.

Weirdly, there's a documentary about Fargo titled "Minnesota Nice."

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ad homonym posted:

When using the abbreviation Xmas, do you use "a" or "an" preceding it? as in a(n) Xmas gift

I get confused when people write an Xmas, since the use of "an" implies that it is pronounced like "eks-mas", and I never heard it said that way unironically. Don't you always say it as "Christmas" even in its abbreviated form?

Well, "X-mas" is informal, so there aren't any really codified rules about it, but people do say "eks-mas" sometimes (always ironically, I hope), so the usual pattern of saying "an" before a vowel sound would apply. Whether you should read a written "X-mas" as "eks-mas" or "Christmas" would depend on the context - simple shorthand or an intent to come off as downmarket?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

kapalama posted:

What is 'downmarket' about Ex-mass?

Just that it's a zippy, shortened, advertise-y way of saying "Christmas." Are you... trying to start a fight about that or something? It's an abbreviation. Abbreviations are understood to be less formal than the full word.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I am a grammar nazi and in my head I pronounce "xmas" "ex-mas" and :doh: "lb(s)" as in "pound(s)" "lib(s)." It's not downmarket, it's just lazy. Relax.

:colbert:

I am relaxed! What is this, jeez people. Serves me right for trying to clarify someone's a/an question I guess. I didn't realize y'all were staking your sense of self-worth on whether or not an abbreviation for a holiday was considered sufficiently formal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Fire In The Disco posted:

Slashie, calm the hell down. Jesus, do you have to get combative in every drat thread you ever post in?

I wasn't, and this really isn't necessary. I'm sorry that I'm apparently the first person ever to take offense to your snide attitude about other women's hair, but that doesn't have any relevance here. Leave me alone. I was just trying to answer a question. I had no idea people would freak out about the word "downmarket" and I certainly meant no offense. Are you planning to just follow me around the internet telling me how everything in my life fails to meet your approval?

I was only using "downmarket" as a sort of oblique way of referencing stuff like Futurama's comical usage of "X-mas" to replace "Christmas" - it's funny because the shorthand you normally only see in things like ads has completely replaced the formal name for the holiday.

Slashie fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 21, 2010