Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Shit, really? They don't?! :,(
I was trying to get a job at the front desk of a really nice hotel in my area. They were very interested in me during the initial interview, but didn't call back. Eventually I gave up.

I got a call early this morning, it was the hotel. They said they were going to hire me, but first I had to take a drug test, and I had to do it before noon today. I just got back, and am panicking real bad.

I have never done a single drug in my whole life, never even tried pot. But the last few days, I have been drinking a lot (celebrating with friends) and I am worried that I will fail the test because of it.

I am typically a lightweight - I weigh 110lbs and am usually buzzed after a few shots. We were drinking Svedka vodka (80 proof), just doing straight shots with Gatorade as a chaser. I averaged 5-6 shots a night every night this week, and lastnight I hit 7 total between 8pm and 12:30ish. I went to sleep at 2 and woke up at 8, the drug test was at 11:30. My copy of the paperwork says it was a 5 panel drug test which I know doesn't test for alcohol but in the "other" category, it seems to say "etoh" which would be alcohol.

Am I being paranoid or could I be denied the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Knightmare posted:

You sound really paranoid. Alcohol is legal (and even if you're underage, employers can't ask for your age) so you have nothing to worry about.

Yeah.. I probably am. I guess I am worried because the paper says it was requested (next to "other" it says etoh requested) and I figure since the employers have to pay for the tests, why would they bother paying for an extra test if it didn't matter? :(

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Thank you guys for your help. I think I worry too much.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My friend works at a drug testing place and I just asked her. You should pass an etoh test unless you had a drink a within a few hours of the test. The etg test is the one that can pick up on stuff from a longer period.

Aw, thank you for asking your friend, please tell her it's appreciated!

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

I failed the etoh test, got denied the job. Thanks anyway for your help guys!

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Red_Fred, it was for front desk agent,at a very nice local hotel. I got great sleep and was plenty hydrated, I don't fully get it either.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

You're underestimating the power of drinking. I've been still drunk/buzzed the next day until like 2PM a few times. My guess is that he/she just got very drunk the night before.

The situation that the employer put Aintain in is bullshit. Might be better off in the long term as I would guess that they would've turned out to be a crappy employer anyway.

Nah, I wasn't even drunk, I had a decent buzz but not even remotely drunk. My shots were spaced out so they were barely hitting me. I have been in the position you described though, a few years ago I was still drunk when I woke up at 4pm. Yikes!

A friend just linked me to a site that describes why pre employment alcohol tests are not a good idea, and apparently you can skew your results in a number of ways. One of them is using a lot of mouthwash; I use mouthwash about 4 times a day because I have a broken tooth and was told to keep it clean by rinsing a lot with Listerine. Maybe this had something to do with it.