Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Was "dogcatcher" (or a different title with the same responsibility) ever an actual elected position anywhere? Is there anywhere it still is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Where can I go if I want to see the yea/nay numbers on a bill that was voted on in the UK Parliament? It seems like the official journal doesn't record the numbers and I'm not sure where else to look.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

Do you silly Americans pronounce W-2 as "double u two" or as "wee two"?

Did you hear someone call it a wee two? I've never heard that before in my life.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How are climate classification maps made? Who determines what climate an area is, where the border is, and how often are these maps updated/reviewed?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

You're just applying rules about average temperatures throughout different parts of the year and the patterns of precipitation/humidity and you are then able to determine the climate classification. Choices for different time periods to calculate from (eg do you do all data from start of organized weather records in the 1880s? Do you just work from the past 10 or 25 years to try to capture what the climate does now?) are up to individual discretion. And determining the borders requires making choices based on the point-sources you have for weather records at organized stations.

Some places like universities will have climate classification updates published every year because they'll have students in relevant courses constructing them. A government might update them rarely if ever, as they're not particularly relevant to day-to-day operations.

Ah okay. I had assumed it was the IMO or some other international body, interesting.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are Mercedes Benz semi trucks more expensive than normal semis in the same way that a Mercedes Benz car is more expensive than a Ford?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is long distance mass travel by boat still a thing (aside from cruises and yachts)? Like if I wanted to get a ticket to go from New York to London on a boat, could I do that?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do big box stores own the space they operate out of, or rent it?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are there any kind of stats for how many people still listen to music radio stations? I would assume the number has gone down over the past 10 years but I actually have no idea and I assume there are still plenty of people who can't/don't want to listen to their phone in their car.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

1) How many different variations of standard house key are possible? How big does a city have to get before two different buildings have the same key?

2) How did softball come to be gendered as a sport for women?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Double post: Among American cities, why is it so much more common for water utilities to be publicly owned compared to electric/gas utilities?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is all very interesting but I still want to know about softball and municipal electric utilities :colbert:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In my city there are some traffic signals where you can’t tell what color the light is until you get pretty close. Is this by design, or is there something wrong with them? They don’t look particularly old.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There are enough museums and they’re big enough that you could probably occupy a few days doing that and not even see all the good ones.

Metropolitan Museum of Art
MOMA
Brooklyn Museum
Jewish Museum
The Cloisters
Frick Collection
Guggenheim
Whitney Museum
American Folk Art Museum
NYPL
Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
Museum of Natural History
NY Botanical Garden
Tenement Museum
Ellis Island
And more!

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How similar in makeup are hydrocarbons and carbohydrates?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

When voice actors are hired to record dialog that was translated into their language, how much authority do they have to say "this doesn't sound like how a native speaker of my language would talk"?

I've just noticed lately some fully voiced dialog recorded by people who are clearly native English speakers saying things that no native English speaker would ever actually say.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's happening on set when recording a music video/movie musical? I'm pretty sure they don't use the actual audio of them singing in the final video because it always sounds perfect - so are they playing the music over a speaker and people mouth along, or does everyone sort of sing and the cut that audio out later, or what?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there any actual difference between a moonroof and a sunroof or is it just a marketing thing?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

du -hast posted:

I live in Los Angeles and was thinking of going to Mexico on my day off. Seems like it's about 2.5 hours to the border. Is a day trip to Tijuana worth doing? I've never been to Mexico before so my image of the place is basically a combination of Sicario and Nacho Libre. I would drive to the border, walk across, then drive back at the end of the day.

Is it worth actually going to Mexico for the day? Are the taxis safe or am I going to be coming back without a kidney.

Was just musing about going down there, I have a couple days off and thought I might go down and see what it was all about.

(Also is there a better place to post this, I feel like this is a far more specific geographical small question than usual).

A few of my friends in San Diego say they go a lot and enjoy it. When I was visiting them, they told me I should go but said not to stay there alone after dark.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I was on a flight a couple days ago and from the air I noticed several long, straight strips of cleared land that cut across the fields and forests.

They didn’t have roads or anything else built in them that I could see - just perfectly straight strips of grass. What were they?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In the US, if a rich person was charged with a crime and decided they didn't want to pay for a lawyer (so they can afford it, they just don't want to pay), would they get a public defender or would they just not have a lawyer?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do they do double blind medical trials with all new drugs?

I'm imagining someone signing up for a medical trial of some new cancer drug and getting a placebo instead.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So long as you’re not holding it like that woman who died in that competition for a Wii, is it possible to drink too much water?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How do the various charities for disease research spend their money on research? Do they run their own labs? Give out grants? Pass the money on to pharmaceutical companies?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why did the convention for what part of the singles chart matters (and the accompanying radio format) settle on the Top 40, instead of the Top 50 or some other number?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has there ever been a number one song on the Billboard chart (or similar) that wasn't also a single?

AlbieQuirky posted:

This would be wrong according to any US style manual I have ever used.

I agree with The Poster Above.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m asking this question about Obama since I know he did it but I assume it applies to other presidents: in 2012, why did he vote in Chicago instead of DC? I would have thought he’d have to change his registration since he’d been living there for three years.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it illegal to hack someone’s social media accounts, or just rude?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

When you see one of those signs on the highway that gives the distance to the next city, is that the distance to the city limits, the city center, or some other point?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Have American football players always suffered from CTE and this only recently began to be discussed, or has the prevalence of CTE actually increased? I assume it's the former, and problems from CTE before a few years ago were diagnosed as something else or hushed up.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Who came up with the idea to make Hannukah into Jewish Christmas, and when?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has there ever been a movie with a laugh track like you’d find on an old sitcom?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I live in Texas and I’ve noticed a lot of car companies make “Texas Edition” (or Lone Star Edition or whatever) versions of their biggest trucks and SUVs (Silverado, F-150, Tahoe, etc).

Are there any other states or regions they do this for?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In modern banking, do banks hold cash for any reason other than to give it to account holders who want to take out some money? Like, if I transfer money from one bank to another, all of that is done electronically, right?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If you're standing on a smooth part of the Earth, how far away does something have to be before it disappears beneath the horizon?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Recently one of those freestanding ERs opened like a mile down the street from my apartment. I just noticed at the major intersection on my street there is now an official looking (blue with white text, like you see for hospitals) street sign that says EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE with an arrow pointing towards the ER. Was the City required to put up this sign, did the ER ask for it, or what?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's a good way to get candle wax out of a glass container if you want to keep the container after you've burned down the candle?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why does my phone charge faster when I plug it into the wall socket compared to when I plug it into my computer?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is someone born on February 29 recognized as a certain age on February 28 or March 1 of a normal year? Like what day would they be able to legally buy alcohol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it possible to have fireworks that explode into defined images or words? I had only ever seen something like this in movies or video games so I assumed not, but I just read a nonfiction book where such a thing was described.