Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I put a piece of irradiated food in a sterile vacuum chamber, would it last forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone here have a MiFi/ know someone who does (more specifically, the Virgin Mobile MiFi)? I love the idea of being some kind of cyberpunk nerd

change my name fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 3, 2010

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is probably a dumb question, but is there such a thing as a ceiling fan with built in stabilization to keep it from wobbling around when on high?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there a word or technical term for eating a large meal, knowing you're full, but feeling hungrier then when you started eating? I've got it pretty bad right now, like I know I'm full but it feels like I'm starving.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How do I remove my credit card information from steam? Whenever I go to the my account section, all I see is a transaction history

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kapalama posted:

Here's my general take on bicycles: You can buy a $100 bike at Walmart that you can ride. It will not be put together right (sometimes hilariously/dangerously so), and no one there can fix it. You will be paying someone at an actual bike shop to fix it if you actually use it.

You can buy a $200.00 bike at a bike shop that is assembled correctly, and comes with a 30 day tuneup (bikes need this because lots of things on bikes like all the cabling can really only be stretched by use, and need adjusting once they are broken in).

As to which bike, just buy whatever the local bike shop recommends. Let your body tell you how it feels and then add that to whatever they are saying. You will need a shop to do the adjustments/maintenance, so just buy what the local shop sells. The shop is the only place that has any real concentration of local riders, and local conditions will affect more about which bike is good than anything else.

Maintenance, Adjustment, and Fit are an order of magnitude more important than brand with a bicycle, so brand does not really matter. Buy what your local shop sells.

Also the local place might do better than 30 days of maintenance depending on where you buy it, for instance I just bought a new bike and the shop is giving me a year of free service with it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wyatt posted:

As for what to look for, the lighter the frame the better, and the skinnier the tires the better. These two factors will have the greatest impact on your speed, and the greatest overall impact on how much you enjoy riding the bike. If you're shopping hybrids, they obviously won't be as nimble as a road bike. But you can still steer clear of beach cruiser style bikes that are just painfully heavy and slow.

What's the point of cruisers anyways? They're big, heavy, ugly and slow.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are kickstands not usually found on "real" bikes? When I got mine the guy at the shop put one on.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

More bike stuff: since I like to ride mine on the sidewalk because it's usually less congested than the street, how badly will I mangle my (shockless)hybrid if I keep riding it like a mountain bike?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Loopyface posted:

You know this is usually illegal and more dangerous than riding in the street, right?

Except I always see other people doing it and the police don't care? It's not like I'm riding in the city by the way.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

AceO posted:

A couple weeks ago my mouse started acting like an rear end in a top hat. Randomly, it'll doubleclick things when I click once, text selection won't stay put as I try to define them, when I'm using the rectangle select tool in ps I'll be applying steady pressure but it'll start and stop new selections as I move around. Any obvious solutions/problems/something I hosed up myself inadvertently? It's a wireless logitech.

Have you tried replacing the batteries? A lot of wireless mice get hosed up when the battery's low.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is the music video for Heaven Can Wait about a housewife gradually losing her sanity or is it just weird for the sake of weird because Beck worked on it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How does the Droid marketplace work? Is it true there's just no guidelines at all? That'd explain things like the psx/gba emulator and the hotspot creator apps (when sprint normally charges $30 a month to "officially" use it)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone have any experience working at buffalo wild wings/ know someone that has?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Uh, it's awesome if you're a reasonably good looking dude and you like working with hot girls.

If you're like, thirty though, then it's probably not a great idea.

Haha thank god then, try 20. Just trying to pay my way through school/ move out and they're opening a new one in a fairly high trafficked area. I have an interview on Tuesday and just wanted to see if there was anything I should know.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it a common thing for a young person to have the shakes? Do some people just naturally have rock solid hands and some have shaky ones?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

haveblue posted:

How shaky are we talking about? Do you have trouble doing things that require fine motor skills like typing or tying your shoes?

Nah but if I can't hold a camera still/ hold something delicate still like a leaf or whatever. It's not a big thing, more like minor tremors.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

hooah posted:

Why does Subway make their sandwiches upside down? That is, they put the meat on the upper portion of the bread and the toppings on the lower, so when they close up the sandwich, the meat is above the toppings, which is obviously wrong.

Every deli I've ever been to does this, not just subway. No clue why they do it though but I wondering too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I was doing this out in my head: a can of lovely beer like bud light is 4% alcohol by volume, and 1 can of beer fills one cup. So if I poured a cup of the same size of something that was 70 proof, would it be the same as drinking nearly 9 beers? That doesn't seem like it's right to me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I want to get that complete series of the wire boxset, but I've heard the packaging is so bad that by the time you get it, all the discs are ruined. If I just buy it in the store instead of through amazon will that mitigate the problem?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Where can I get a really cheap Beethoven bust? It's mainly so that I'll have somewhere funny to keep my knit-hat and/or snowboarding goggles when I'm not wearing them.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah that seems like exactly what I want, thanks!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I rip a song from a youtube video of dubious quality, is there anyway to touch it up? Like somehow making it sound less grainy, evening out the highs, etc. An original song, not something that'd count as pirating if that makes a difference.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How does amazon calculate tax? I just bought 50 dollars worth of books, and the tax only came out to 80 cents.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The federal subsidized loan I'm getting as part of my financial aid has an interest rate of 7.9% a period of 10 years and only covers a fraction of my need, but if I can get a private sally mae loan for a lower rate that covers all of what I need to pay for school, how are federal loans better than private ones?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Golbez posted:

The ten cent tour:

Standard-def TVs (SDTV) can only display a certain, lower resolution, of, I believe, 640x480. They are interlaced, meaning every other line is drawn with each refresh, and are referred to as 480i (480 interlaced lines). SDTV shows are sent in this resolution. SD shows and TVs operate on a 4:3 ratio; they would be 4 feet wide if 3 feet tall.

High-def TVs (HDTV) can display higher resolutions, much nicer than 480i, and also are wider screen: Generally 16:9 or 16:10. The resolutions you're dealing with are 720p (1280x720, progressive, meaning it draws every line each frame, rather than every other line, leading to less flicker and smoother movement), 1080i (1920x1080, interlaced) and 1080p (1920x1080, progressive). Note that while Blu-rays, games, and some satellites may support 1080p, it is not used by any other broadcast method. 720p and 1080i are generally interchangeable, though some will say one is better for certain action than the other. I haven't looked hard enough to try to tell the difference.

Another benefit of progressive vs interlaced: SD TV is 60 frames per second, but interlaced, so each line is only being redrawn 30 times a second. 720p draws every line 60 times a second, making for smoother video.

SD shows will not look better on a HD TV. Some might say they look even worse; most SD shows were made back when the CRT, not the LCD, was the norm, and were designed around its limitations. Viewing them on an LCD makes those flaws that much more apparent.

HD shows will look amazing on an HDTV. They are not receivable on an SDTV.

The XBox 360 and PS3 support HD resolutions; the Wii unfortunately does not, though it does support widescreen SD. Hooking the 360 or PS3 up to an HDTV will look amazing. Older, non-HD, systems will look generally worse on an HDTV than a CRT simply because, again, they were designed around the limitations of a CRT. Specifically, the pixel size is different, and also with older games you could expect a certain amount of blurriness, unlike the sharp pixels of today. This is why many people like to turn scanlines on in emulators when playing on a modern PC, to bring back that look rather than just have a sea of perfect, sharp, 8-bit color.

tl;dr:
An old episode of Seinfeld will look okay on an SDTV
An old episode of Seinfeld will look the same on an HDTV
An SD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look okay on an SDTV
An SD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look the same on an HDTV
An HD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look amazing on an HDTV (it's not just a tiny step up)
A Wii game will look good on an SDTV
A Wii game will look better on an HDTV
A 360/PS3 game will look okay on an SDTV (ever tried to read the text in Dead Rising on one? I don't recommend it)
A 360/PS3 game will look amazing on an HDTV

If you're familiar with computer graphics, it's almost the same as the jump from 640x480 to 1920x1080. That's a big jump, and that's what's happening to your TV when you go from standard to high def. Doom won't look too awesome at 1920x1080, but Modern Warfare 2 looks a hell of a lot better at 1920x1080 than at 640x480.

You forgot to mention that some older systems like the ps2 CAN be hooked up via component cables; this will negate most of the blurriness but it obviously won't look as good as a game that's been designed to play in hd

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In the matrix movies or any of the other things associated with it, do they ever say why there even needs to be a matrix? I know they explained the human battery thing but I don't think they ever touched on why there even needs to be a simulated reality for everyone.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there some kind of secret for making oatmeal in the microwave without it exploding out of the container?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Arriviste posted:

Use a deeper bowl and/or use your microwave’s lower power % settings.

It bubbles out even when I make it in a deep ceramic cup and cook it gradually. I know the ideal way is the stove but honestly I just don't have time for that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What colors would something that's smaller than a wavelength of light appear to be? Just black, or would it be functionally invisible?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I know all about the different frequencies of light, it's just that I read an article in the nyt times about animating proteins that were smaller than a visible light wave, and I was curious what they would look like in real life.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There's one banner ad I keep getting for coupons in nyc, and the picture on it is a stack of multicolored burgers(?). What are they?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the best way to get a free acoustic guitar? I really want to learn how to play but I have absolutely no room in my budget.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If you live around the GTA in Ontario, I'll give you one of mine.

Lower new york but thanks anyway for the offer.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A bunch of questions:

First, I'm going to buy a new phone in about 2 weeks and I really want the EVO 4g. Would it be possible to get it under $400 (preferably under 350) anywhere? Would SAmart be my best bet?

Secondly, how come AV club tv reviews are multiple pages but every other review, including film reviews, are often just a paragraph?

Finally, I ordered guitar hero 5 from amazon though Go Hastings, but the guitar came broken. I've sent several emails to the company trying to get a refund/replacement but they just haven't answered. Do I have any recourse?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wikipedia says robert taylor

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

A bunch of questions:

First, I'm going to buy a new phone in about 2 weeks and I really want the EVO 4g. Would it be possible to get it under $400 (preferably under 350) anywhere? Would SAmart be my best bet?

Secondly, how come AV club tv reviews are multiple pages but every other review, including film reviews, are often just a paragraph?

Finally, I ordered guitar hero 5 from amazon though Go Hastings, but the guitar came broken. I've sent several emails to the company trying to get a refund/replacement but they just haven't answered. Do I have any recourse?

Reposting all of this, especially since I'd like to get my money back on the last one

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wedemeyer posted:

Someone made fun of me for having Yahoo mail. What's a cool free email that won't steal my credit card numbers?

Also, is it weird to thank your bus driver when you get off at your stop?

Why wouldn't you thank the bus driver? Nearly everyone does it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there like a megathread or something for shoes? An entire shoe forum perhaps???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just want to know what to do about a pair of boat shoes I have that are about half a size too big. I was going to return them but they got dirty so now I have to tough it out. Should I just wear 2 pairs of socks when I go out?

Also I want an opinion on sambas