Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need to know everything I need to know about air compressor tanks before I buy one. I have an airbrush compressor and the piston action in it makes the spray all spattery. I want an air tank to regulate the airflow so it's constant instead of constantly changing. I bought an in-line regulator but that didn't solve the problem because as it turns out it doesn't regulate a loving thing, it's just an on/off with a gauge attached.

The major thing I'm wondering about here is how what kind of pipe fittings and poo poo I'm going to need in order to use it. All the cheap tanks I've seen have a single opening for intake and output, and there's some kind of hardware in that hole that has two openings. Generally one is 1/4", and the other one is like the size of the thing you pump your tires through. It's also got a little thingie in it that you ahve to press down in order to release the air. What kind of fitting would I use to connect that to an airbrush?

Basically what do I need to buy to connect all my poo poo up? I'm done buying poo poo and not knowing that it will work when I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I got a footwear care question. I have some chuck taylor-alikes that are good as new as far as the upper and outsole are concerned but the welt is peeling away. What should I use to repair this? They're rather expensive shoes that aren't being made in this color anymore and I'd like to keep using them as long as possible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

US goons:

Does it cost to receive calls on your mobile (cell) phones?

Received calls count against the minutes on my plan unless they are in the same network or some other exception, but there is no connection fee or anything like that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What kind of construction adhesive will not adhere to a silicone baking mat?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I am looking for a very fine mist sprayer to work with fixing pigments on miniatures. My wife has recommended a perfume atomizer. Is there any quality difference on these things? I want as fine a mist as I can get.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

DavidAlltheTime posted:

What should I call an alcove in the floor? I want a nicer word than 'hole'.

Recess

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Used to be when you wanted to install a heatsink you had to pray first that your screwdriver didn't slip off the clip and gently caress up your motherboard

Those were the days

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Never even let your boss think you're looking to leave until you have an offer in my opinion.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

How do I evaluate a pest control service before I get attached to a contract? I have a ~2600 sqft house with a big yard but I loving hate bugs and they're ramping up to loving invade!!!!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

Ok so I`m a poor person who rents a small basement suite without a gas stove range or any stove at all all I got is a hot plate and an electric wok. Is there any kind of electric plug in appliance that gets hot enough to cook stir fry properly or is this a futile effort?

Cooking stir fry properly would require BTUs that most gas stoves don't put out. If you really want wok temperatures you could cook over the burner for a turkey fryer though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

photomikey posted:

I am a landlord and have seen bug problems that would make you cry, and I have never seen a bug problem that removing whatever is drawing the bugs (standing water, food source, open holes, etc) and laying gel bait wouldn't solve. This solution will cost you $20 instead of $200, and you won't need to do it again every 30 days.

If I could figure out what was making bugs swarm the roof of my porch I would do that but I have no idea. I mean it's not like I'm laying food up there. Any ideas?

ChairMaster posted:

I should have specified that by "electric plug in" in the first post I meant "I don't want to have to go outside it is cold and wet and the bright sun will burn my and there's bugs and criminals and rain, I wanna cook dinner inside only".

If a standard gas range is enough for you, portable gas stoves exist that use replaceable butane cans like gas batteries. I used one when I lived in Japan, they work pretty drat well.

http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corporation-America-ZA-3HP-Portable/dp/B006H42TVG/

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 17, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What if I don't care about harmful chemicals and I just want to kill the bugs and live like a slob

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

There was a goddamn swarm in two places before I sprayed some poo poo there. I'll take pics when I get home. Make no mistake though, I will fill my walls with poison if it means I don't see another roach

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I live on a corner lot and my mailbox isn't on the street I legally live on. Is there a way to change my address so people stop leaving my mail at other peoples' houses? USA USA USA

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just move your mailbox?

If I live here for the long haul no

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Who was the (I think he was Roman/Greek) classical philosopher that said that a good act is still good, even if done for selfish reasons, like the possibility of reward?

This would be any form of consequentialist ethics, but to be specific I'd need the definition of "good."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Question 2: My Windows 10 computer suddenly has something called "DLNA Server" listed under "Network locations" in "This PC". Its icon is a penguin and it seems to contain only empty folders. What is this?

DLNA is basically a media server, for example Plex. A penguin could be some Linux server app or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

life is a joke posted:

What are some foreign cities where shorthand names of the city are acceptable in semi-formal writing? Newspaper articles use DC, Vegas, LA, etc sometimes and it's not weird like using "Frisco" or "Beantown" would be, they fit as stand-ins for the actual names and don't change the tone. I can't think of any big cities overseas that use these, except maybe jo-burg(?) and even that I don't know if that's considered overly casual.

Toke, J-land

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

whoops I misread the question

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What would you collectively call descriptors of how an animal finds its food, like "predator, forager, grazer, scavenger, parasite," etc? The best I could come up with is "survival strategy" but that's really unwieldy and not quite specific enough.

Sounds like some kind of mechanism

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vegetable posted:

What's an expression for a TV show/movie/artwork that propelled somebody to stardom? I was thinking "claim to fame" but that suggests the work in question is the only reason for said person's popularity, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Turning point in their career

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What's the best forum to ask about asset and inventory tracking and maintenance? Also staff tracking. I need to manage some things and I have no budget for it. I'm using Airtable right now which seems good but I don't know that I'm using the right database configuration for my purposes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is there a good word to use if someone asks you your religion and you would say something like "I'm a secular buddhist" or whatever but what you really mean is "I'm basically an atheist but I'm not a shithead about it"

Like is there a name for that group

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Why are philips and slotted head drivers the standard for normal consumer use instead of square drivers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Wow I looked up that Robertson guy and everyone around that situation was a dick but just holding onto the patent while killing the product out of spite or whatever, what a shithead. Anyways since I discovered ball drivers for hex screws I just figured man, wouldn't it all be better with this kind of thing instead of a bit designed to break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Why did Cosmo Kramer have the same haircut as MC Serch