Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'm (hoping I'm) flying West out of Boston, Saturday in the early morning.
It looks to be about exactly the time that "Earl" is projected to be cruising by there -but most likely some distance off the coast.
Do they close an airport/cancel or postpone flights for a Class 1 that is nearby and heading the other direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Elphiem posted:

That's not really what I was getting at.

I was talking about how these characters in TV and movies have a lawyer that they know personally, and are usually on a first-name basis with. So when they say "their lawyer", they really mean it. These lawyers may have other clients, but it seems that they are always available, and waiting in the wings for these characters.

Most people in the real world don't have that, they usually have to research/find a lawyer for their particular problem, and then hire someone that they've never met before.

Lawyers are like plungers. Get one before you need one.

I "have" a lawyer and I'm not some big time hot shot guy. He is the guy I would call if I needed a criminal attorney or if I needed another kind of lawyer recommended to me. I know his price and respect his opinion.
A lawyer is someone you really have to trust, so it's a good idea to "have" one that isn't going to screw you over.
The best lawyers are also going to be like the best of other services: You won't be able to get them on short notice because they have no time and are not taking on new clients.

In movies, TV, and sometimes real life, when a criminal has a lawyer, it's because they're a career criminal and part of the budget is to have a lawyer on retainer. Business people have lawyers too because their business involves legal doings on a regular basis.

Q: I need the best Shoofly Pie between Cleveland and Sandusky. I see some Amish furniture places on Google, but the only bakery is an hour the other way.

Also, could someone address my earlier question? If there is a Class 1 hurricane 100 miles East of Boston on Saturday morning will flights be delayed that are going West?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
edit: ^yup, beaten.

Econosaurus posted:

What's a good low-mid range wireless router? The one I used to have was terrible.

You can find a linksys wrg 54 for $30 usually at amazon or newegg. Just search for 'linksys' and 'wireless', sort by price low to high and grab the first 5-star rated one.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Do questions about the very fundamental essence of the Universe, reality itself, and the theoretical laws that govern it belong in a "Stupid/Small Questions Megathread"?

Why do jeweler's (or watch) screwdrivers have that free spinning thing on their butt?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

You have it backwards- you hold the butt steady while you spin the shaft to drive the screw. It makes it easier to exert a steady force in exactly the right direction while it rotates.

I thought it was something I just was ... failing to grasp. (puts on sunglasses, yeah, etc.)

Q:
If I call an Irishman a Mick is that a good-natured racial slur or actually offensive? We're not good friends, just drinking buddies and he's engaged to a close friend of mine. He's not very sensitive or PC.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I just saw these Kawasaki tools at my local discount place:
a circular page
edit: the page is actually rectangular; it's from a "circular"

I want a cordless drill to have in my truck and that's about what I was hoping to pay. Would I be better off with something like Ryobi? That seems to be the most commonly seen bargain basement power tool brand. It really doesn't have to be anything special.
Should I look for some used Dewalt stuff instead, as my brother suggested?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2010

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Scientist!
I told my friend, who is a Scotch afficianado, that liquor does not "age" or improve once bottled. He claims anecdotal evidence otherwise.
There was a chemist there who started sperging about esther or something. Anyway, the distilleries all say that the cask to the bottle is the end of it -unless something evaporates due to poor bottling or some such.
Can someone drop some basic, dumbed-down science on it?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Pogo the Clown posted:

I found this study about wine (PDF, 143 kb) which seems to contradict you. In it they look at a series of wines over 20 years with and without exposure to oxygen (ie some have corks that breathe a bit and others have screw-on lids). Using spectral analysis and such (not just tastings) they found differences over time in BOTH sets of wine, leading them to the conclusion that while oxygen exposure while in the bottle does expedite aging, it is not the only factor.

I realize that wine and liquor can be very different, and I'm no expert, but the mechanisms they cite as possible aging factors seem like they would affect any bottled liquid with enough time. Mostly they mention condensation, polymerization, and distillation of certain chemicals. Basically, if it sits still long enough, the various molecular bits tend to clump together and/or break apart.

HOWEVER, with all that said, the paper ends with, "...the low levels recorded in this instance are not considered to be commercially unacceptable." So, in anaerobic (air tight) bottles it happens, but its minor and possibly commercially insignificant.

Edit: I should add the study held light exposure and temperature constant. Changing levels of those 2 things may also have an impact.
Thanks, that's actually good news. He can still stick to his guns now if he wants to; I didn't necessarily want him to be wrong and feel foolish. I also thought that aged (in the bottle) liquor was a sought-after thing until quite recently.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
There's a photo here of a still from Wes Craven's new "film" My Soul to Take that I'd like to use in a press release.
It is on imdb and yahoo movies, and is an official still provided by Rogue Pictures with a credit and a caption:
"Above: Max Thieriot and director Wes Craven on the set of "My Soul to Take." Photo Credit: Nicole Rivelli / Rogue – © 2010 Rogue Pictures. All Rights Reserved."

Can I, and others I send it to, re-publish that on the web and in print (yes, I realize it's not print quality) as long as I include that line? I assume it was sent out as part of a package and is intended to be freely distributed.

Should I ask in the CC 'small questions' thread instead?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Loopyface posted:

For what reason do you want to use it?

There are at least two of my company's t-shirt designs in the film -two of them appear in the trailer: that frog metamorphosis t-shirt in the linked picture and a glow-in-the-dark constellations t-shirt.
I've emailed the photographer directly and haven't heard back yet. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want more non-negative mention of the movie, even in small town papers.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Made-up linguistics:
If I work in an area delineated by wall dividers that are not at right angles, can I refer to it as a polyhedronicle or is there a better (or even a real) word?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Female exotic dancers almost always smell like coconut. What do male strippers smell like generally? Hollister or Axe or something?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

Another one of those "probably should have picked up this life skill ages ago," but where can I purchase a men's waterproof jacket that doesn't look like rear end? Dressing myself has never been a particular talent of mine, but even I can tell that those gaudy orange-and-blue things at Target will make me look like a doofus.

Maybe some tactical fleece?
or Carrhart (sic), Dickies, maybe Patagonia or L.L. Bean would have something you'd like.

edit: maybe google "foul weather gear" and you can find something really functional that would make you look like you're on "Deadliest Catch" except not yellow.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

b0nes posted:

. I am getting the husband either a Gerber or Leatherman multitool,

Some people think it's bad luck to give or receive a knife as a gift; that's why often people will demand a penny as payment when they give you a knife.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

stawk Archer posted:

Can you cook eggs on a George Foreman grill?

Yes, but they'll run down and off it unless you put some kind of potato dam or something on the bottom.

stawk Archer posted:

Do hipsters actually bitch about market economies or do they just have one in the group who does?
There are a lot of free market capitalist and anarchist hipsters, but a hipster group will almost never be made up of more than 12% of people who actively pretend to be for any ideology non-ironically.

stawk Archer posted:

I found a snapping turtle in the woods - what should I feed it? Can i keep him in a five by four pond? How deep does the pond need to be?
They eat anything. Probably a mix of small fish, worms, and vegetable matter would be what they normally eat but you could give it some lettuce or baby mice. Maybe a tuna sandwich.
5 x 4 is fine as long as you are providing food for it, otherwise there won't be much for it to eat.
Snapping turtle is delicious, by the way.

stawk Archer posted:

Is there any way to get a Puma Solebox rug like the one featured here? If not, where can I get an 80's rug for 80's nite that costs less than 200 bucks?
That is a nice rug.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

nunchi posted:

What avatar should I buy my brother for Christmas? :saddowns:

bigredbutton posted:

Hey Workin' Gherkin, you missed the bus! Better run to catch it!

from http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3363246

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Astro Cake posted:

Am I correct in thinking that most people have never heard of selkies?

Probably, if you mean globally, sure. I have though, and I'm guessing a lot of people on this forum have, since The Internet is into fantasy, mythology, and such. Not like an elf, unicorn, grey alien, or even a mermaid though I 'd wager. There was an Irish (maybe Welsh) movie called the Secret of Roan Inish that was pretty popular that concerned Selkies though. Why?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

CatchrNdRy posted:

Has anyone taken local comfort food to a friend and packed it in blue ice for a flight for a carry-on? Is TSA generally ok with this?

If you are talking about ice packs, you can't take them on. Use bags of frozen peas, that's what pretty much everyone does now.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Are Porter Cable tools any better than Riobi and B+D?
I want to get an 18V drill-driver, circular saw, reciprocal saw set for a non-profit community theater. Sets are built by professionals with their own tools primarily, so it would be for lighter-duty general household stuff and dismantling sets.
I know Porter Cable used to be more on the level of Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee, but the price is way too low for me to imagine that's the case.
I am asking a couple pros, but they always seem to be biased and never seem to want to recommend anything but what they use non-stop.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

Porter Cable was actually purchased by Black & Decker, who is rebranding Porter Cable to be their DIY amateur line (hence the price decrease). They also own DeWalt, which is marketed as their "pro" line. So Black & Decker is your entry-level, Porter Cable is mid-level, DeWalt is top-end. ...

Thanks, I was almost sold on this kit but one of the pros just talked me out of it. I'm putting the link here because he said it was really an excellent deal IF we needed a cordless circular saw and a reciprocal saw but we really don't need either. He said the circular would devour batteries instantly and that we really wanted was a drilldriver, impact driver, a third battery, and a corded circular. I'm going to get them to spring for Makita after all.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe not, but all of the dealership cars I've seen are way out of my price range. Is it that unheard of to buy a first car off of Craigslist? I mean, I'm going to get it inspected and get a Carfax report on it before making a purchase.

Don't let the guy scare you, but keep it to small Japanese cars, as suggested. I'd cut it down to just Toyota, Honda, and Subaru for anything 130k or more.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Is this the one you're talking about?

Don't know where it's from though, I found it on this forum somewhere a while back.

I don't see anything in that picture that isn't accessible now. Go after your dreams, the future is now and junk.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

DO you just want to get to the end result or do you want to learn how to do it?

If the former: http://www.facemorpher.com/download.html (lite version)

Jeffrey Colon posted:

The former will work just fine - That program seems to error out when I install and try to open it. I'll give it a try when I'm not on my work computer (Server 2008) as I suspect that could be the problem.

I've used this on a Mac; it was intuitive and I was pleased with the results; there appears to be a win version:
http://www.morpheussoftware.net/?gclid=CPTureKluqUCFYLd4AodxhqBZA

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A buddy has an IBM NetVista that can't find its OS. I tried the HD in another computer and ti also wouldn't boot. I'd like to get her another hd and squeeze some more life out of it for her, but it looks like it has to be IDE? I keep seeing SATA --> IDE adapters, which would make the HD cheaper, bigger, and give me a few more options as far as ratings on amazon, manufacturer, warranty.

Is it a bad move for some reason? I have limited skills and knowledge about computers or anything else.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Best route would be to buy an ATA hard drive. ATA = IDE. SATA is a newer, faster technology, but you can still buy ATA hard drives (that use IDE cables to attach to the motherboard). Its your safest bet to ensure compatibility.

However - make sure the hard drive is definitely not functioning first. It might not be a hardware problem and you could get some more use out of the current hard drive with a bit of effort.

Looks like NetVista is a pretty old computer though, so odds are the hard drive is dead.

Check newegg.com - Looks like you can buy an 80GB hard drive for $40.

That is exactly what I needed to know I guess. I was skipping over all the ATA stuff because it didn't have IDE in the title and I thought it was the whole different aminal.

Thanks.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

change my name posted:

What's the best way to get a free acoustic guitar? I really want to learn how to play but I have absolutely no room in my budget.

Check the obituaries for dead young men and then go to their parents pretending you were their friend; happen to notice the acoustic guitar and make up a story about a great memory you had of jammin' out around the campfire and how he always said he was gonna teach you to play. Look away real quick so they don't see you wiping a tear from your eye. Wait a bit.
vvvv
edit, re: craigslist:
I've never done it, but in theory you could set up an RSS feed that would alert you if "free" AND "guitar" ever showed up on craigslist. Otherwise, if one ever does show up it will be gone within minutes.

There's kind of a begging-for-poo poo section on there somewhere, isn't there? I recall someone posting something once about people effectively begging for poo poo on craigslist. I'm sure womens have more luck with that.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 30, 2010

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I live in Northern New England. Four geese just flew overhead, honking. They were flying Northeast. Why did that happen?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

The Aphasian is the loving man (or possibly lady) and is hooking up the wacom tablet for us.

I'd thought about the udraw but wanted something for the pc instead since we have like 5 of them and she likes to draw for hours. Can't be having the big TV taken up all the time. But it is plugged in to a pc so she'll be able to draw on the big screen sometimes.

I was going to answer your original question, but then it became awesomely moot. Now it occurs to me that I should anyway in case someone else had a similar question.
Those Genius tablets would be fantastic for a 6 year old.
I bought one here at work on a whim, because a 10x12" tablet was less than half the price of a 4x6 wacom.
It is much better than a mouse for graphics, but if someone had ever used a Wacom (which I have at another computer) they wouldn't want to go back. It's absolutely not just a toy, but the Wacom makes it seem like a toy by comparison.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A few weeks ago, maybe just before Thanksgiving(?), I caught a story on "Selected Shorts" on NPR that I really liked. It was about all the events and unrelated characters in the vicinity of a window washer falling from a skyscraper. It was incredibly good and I got the impression it was an older story; it seemed like something Roald Dahl might have written.
Does anyone know the author and story?

edit: found the archive. I bet I would have remembered if I'd heard the introduction.

Selected Shorts posted:

“Milestones,” by Miles Davis was the inspiration for Hannah Tinti’s story of the same name. In an interview with SHORTS host Isaiah Sheffer, Tinti says the story, constructed meticulously while listening to Davis’ edgy, buoyant piece, was inspired in part by the events of 9/11. Tinto is also the editor of One Story magazine. “Milestones” is read here by the performance artist Laurie Anderson.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2010

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Huntersoninski posted:

I have a friend who is wanting to put on a play in Springfield, Illinois. Apparently the theater scene there is very limited, not many venues, etc. He's running into issues and is considering possibly renting and putting together a venue of his own.

Are there any websites or resources I can recommend to him to help walk him through the process of putting together an independent show/possibly opening a small venue? My google skills are failing me in my search.

TheatreFace is a social networking site for theater stuff. He could make an account there and try to network with folks and get questions answered.
The last time I checked there were only a few thousand users I think -that might have actually been who was online at the time, though I doubt it.
I really don't know how much value it has as a service but it's free, so the cost is really only his time potentially wasted. I think they are also poised to do some sort of marketing and/or capital drive to make it more of a serious resource in the very near future.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Ideally they didn't hardcode the domain/path into the code so you could simply copy everything in the /financial-tools/ dir on the original server to the root html directory of the new server.

After doing that you could egrep all of the pages for references to the old domain/directory.

E: Ohh and if it has javascript, cgi, etc you will need to place those in their proper places which sometimes are not under the directory.

I'm guessing, from his first post, this is jibberish to him.
It might be a lot easier than you guys are making it.
If he has access to the host that the initial domain is on then all he has to do is transfer that domain to that host and use their control panel to point the domain to that directory.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have already purchased the domain that I want. I didn't build the original page, but part of my job is managing some micro sites and blogs so this has somehow fallen onto my plate. How do I copy all of the content? Is that something I would have to get in touch with the web designer who did the site to get?

If you are going to host that domain at the same place the other domain is at, then it's all there already. Otherwise, you still need access to that host to download all that stuff and re-upload it to the new host so you get all that "invisible" gobbledygook that ChubbyEmoBabe is talking about that makes scripts work, etc. There also might be image directories, CSS pages, and other stuff that wouldn't get downloaded if you just tried to rip the whole thing from a web browser.

short answer: If the new domain is going to be hosted at the same place as the other domain, everything you need to do can be done at that host's site if you log in.

edit: Shorter answer:
What Schweinhund said.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Extensive Vamping posted:

Okay I keep hearing this song at work, but for some reason I can't pick any of the words out. It's synthy and sounds kind of like the Cure, and the defining characteristic is the refrain - it's mostly "whoa-oh".

It goes like this:

(something) tonight
(something) tonight, Whoa-oh (echo:"whoa-oh")
Whoa oh oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

I'm sorry but that's all I have and it's killing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sp7gACVs_0

I thought it might have been The Cars, but upon listening again there aren't actually a lot of whoah-ohs, if any...

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I guess I don't really know anything about GPS's.
My G I R L F R I E ND has a Magellan GPS in her car, but it seems to have lovely maps or something. I always thought they got updated by the satellites or something but hers doesn't seem to have the same stuff on the map that an ex-girlfriend had.
Specifically, we can't find nearby restaurants and other attractions like bowling alleys, live theaters, and such. I think it finds golf courses and movie theaters, pretty much, but I don't think they're up-to-date.

I see something on Amazon that appears to be an SD card with Magellan 2009 maps. Do I just buy that and slide it in her GPS? It's $65 though, so shouldn't I just buy another GPS that already has new maps and is better for $40 more?
Is there some cheaper way to get maps for her GPS?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Thanks guys, You're All Winners! But I'm going with Wagonburner here.
We, neither of us, have any kind of phone that is even above average intelligence. From what he and the rest said, I would be a dumb guy to spend $65 to put the maps that are already on a $100 GPS onto an old GPS that kind of sucked to begin with (the touch screen and the OS don't really work for me very well).
I saw a GPS with "lifetime maps" at Staples for $150, I bet I can find one even cheaper elsewhere.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

You also have to remember they are making money on advertising. So a classic rock station probably makes a fair amount of money that way. Maybe even more than a pop station.

I have a radio related question too. How can a radio station afford to give away so much money. I rarely listen to the radio but every once in a while I will and I will hear promotions where they are giving away like $20k a week for the whole month, or a million dollars at the end of the year. That seems totally insane to me. I think every radio station in this area does the "Hot 101.whatever pays your bills" or whatever. How could they possibly have the money for that?

I'm pretty sure those are national contests through Clear Channel or Cumulus. Maybe not, but those I looked into a year or two were.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

The TV cliche:

"We've got a live one here"

Now it has a meaning, but where did it come from? Google just repeats some guesses. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've heard people literally say that about a fish they were catching, and they weren't big TV folk. The progression is basically to con men, gamblers, and even salesmen who refer to marks or customers as "fish" or "whales".

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

That's not literal.

Oops, you're right. I figuratively heard someone say that about a metaphorically live fish.

?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

That usage has nothing to do with the TV cliche "We've got a live one here" as far as I can tell.

That TV expression is one of those cliches that has bounced off the screen into real life that no one seems to know where it comes from or why they are even using the words other than the fact that people on TV use it so people in real life use it.

I'm pretty sure I'm right and that it predates TV, if not all talkies.
A "live one" is a mark or rube, analagous to a "fish", that you've hooked.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ProperCoochie posted:

AIM changed one of my passwords for my screen name. I spent an hour on the phone with AOL but they're useless. I'm desperate. How can I get my password back?

When I pass the image verification, it reads

I've been looking for solutions all weekend. Can't anybody help me? There has to be SOMETHING I can do. :bang:

I probably can't help you, but since this is the 3rd time you've posted it with no responses I guess I can try a few obvious suggestions.
Clear your cookies and browser cache and try it again.
Try an entirely different browser -like "google chrome" instead of Firefox or Safari or whatever.
Try it from an entirely different computer.
Try calling again and again until you get someone who can actually help you -there is someone there that knows how to fix it for you if it is a problem on their end. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot until you get the right person that isn't just consulting their cheatsheet of "Try turning it off and on again."
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

edit: also, try SHSC instead?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

Fishing as an origin doesn't make sense. Presumably the origin is something that is literal. It's irrelevant that the fish is "alive" since any time you catch a fish it's obviously alive, whether it's big or small. Unless "live" is just short for "lively" which doesn't seem right.
It is right though. Have you ever gone fishing or seen anyone fishing? When fishing, one often gets "bites" that are either an actual fish biting and then disengaging the bait, or the bait or hook just getting snagged on something less animate.
When you know you have a fish on the line, it is a live one. It really, literally, is.
It can also be as a means of comparison, as in kapalama's example that you didn't understand. Some fish that you catch put up a lot more of a fight, which is a lot more exciting for the fisherman and, in the cases of really large fish, might require the assistance of fellow fishermen.

quote:

It would be like if I ask where does "throw in the towel" come from and you say it's from when you can't catch any fish, you give up and throw in the towel.
But that is very clearly known to originate from boxing, so why would someone say that?

Schweinhund posted:

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand a word of what I wrote. I'm not talking about whether it's a cliche or not, I'm talking about the difference between literal and figurative. There's no way fishermen are saying "We've got a lively fish here :sissies:"
Yes, they absolutely are.

quote:

Another example of a literal use would be with wiring. An electrician could say they have a live one meaning a live wire.

That's a little better, but it really does make the most sense that it comes from fishing. The only confusion here is that the phrase has fallen into a slightly different use over time, from being carniespeak about a "mark" and now being used sometimes to refer to a person that is behaving oddly. That happens with language.