Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does business casual constitute a tie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I'm going to be taking the GRE sometime at the beginning of next year and was trying to find the best prep book for it. Did I just completely miss a GRE thread somewhere in SAL, or another forum here?

Any advice on what prep book is much appreciated, as is linking to somewhere where there's as discussion of them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've got a question regarding job application etiquette and timing in regards to the application process, let me begin with a slight backstory.

I currently am employed in a research laboratory at a hospital, doing histology work. I'm working towards a certification (HTL) in the histology field, my examination is at the end of February. My job satisfaction has vacillated quite frequently at my current place of work, and because of that, I'm in the market for a new job. The only problem is during the summer, I generally take off at least 10 days to go and work construction at one(or more) music festivals. This year I'm planning on going to Bonnaroo, and hopefully work production at Electric Forest Festival. Bonnaroo is June 11-13, Electric Forest, June 25-28. I have the option of working at Electric Forest, which would mean getting there around maybe June 18th, approximately, then staying until maybe July 1st or 2nd.

Basically what I'm aiming for is being able to have a job lined up such that my start date is after I get back from Electric Forest, so sometime in the first week or so of July, and also be able to quit my current job so I basically have June 10-July 1st/2nd free to do my festival circuit. My question, or should I say grouping of questions, is how early should I begin applying for jobs? Is it appropriate/acceptable to put a starting date for a job application months after the application is submitted? I was thinking of possibly beginning preliminary applications at the beginning of April, which I kind of arbitrarily picked because two months and some change seems like a much more reasonable allowance of time than, say, five months.

I know this plan is going to be incredibly tricky and in all honesty probably won't be do-able, but I'm just trying to get another pair of eyes on the whole situation, as I've never applied to a job where I couldn't just fill out 'immediately' as to when I could begin work. Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

You certainly can say that you would prefer to start working in 5 months, but chances are pretty good that the hiring manager would toss you into the "nope" file for that. My company is hiring now for someone to fill in for someone who left, and time is kind of of the essence. I mean, they wouldn't be advertising help wanted now if they didn't want to hire someone 'now'.

You have two options the way I see it. One, apply as soon as you have your degree and say good bye to your current employer once you've found a more permanent setup. If you start now, but mention that "hey, I'd like to take about week off for Bonaroo or Electric Forrest come summer", they might work with you on that. Some places are pretty flexible if you let them know up front. Don't lead the interview with that, but it may be a good idea to say "I've had a trip planned for a few months before I even started looking for work. Is that something we can discuss further?"

Or, you can keep on with your current job, finish your degree, keep on trucking there til summer, then start applying, hopefully setting something up for after your music fest gig.

I'd say it all comes down to how important is going somewhere to do construction work to you? If it's something you really need to do, a last hurrah before you start a new job - then apply for new jobs just before you go down there (with the idea that you'd schedule interviews for when you are done.) If this is something that you think you can skip (and maybe do again next year), then apply sooner and get out of the job you don't like. Get some training and experience under you belt and maybe earn a few vacation days. Then when this rolls around next year, you might even be able to be paid from your job to go and get paid working somewhere else. Win-win.

These were basically the options I saw that were available as well. I'm hesitant to start immediately because the certification test isn't until February, and even then I'm not guaranteed to pass. I think I'm leaning towards searching for jobs sooner rather than later, and hope that they can be flexible. The only problem with that is that I'm going to be gone for basically 2/3 of June, and while I know places can be flexible, I'd be surprised if they were that flexible, dig? Of course this great Electric Forest opportunity presented itself after I was already locked in to Bonnaroo plans, otherwise I'd bail on 'Roo in a heartbeat. drat!

I don't think this is something I need to do as I'm good friends with a lot of the crew that set up at the Forest, but it's something that'd I'd really prefer not to miss, because who knows, dude may have another construction crew by the time EF '16 rolls around!

photomikey posted:

As for the music fest, I'd just tell them you've got a prior obligation that week in June, and I don't think it'd be an issue. I wouldn't let on at this stage that you are going to be a goomper at a music festival, just let them assume it's something legitimate.
`

Haha that was the first thing that I started brainstorming about, was what to tell potential employers I'd be doing during that time. Drug-fueled-festival-dude doesn't really sound too appealing, eh?

Thanks for the responses, and more input is more than welcome.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Are these 'clothes clubs' like Five Four or Trunk Club generally worth it? I've got a friend of a friend who is a stylist for one so I can get a slight discount, wondering if they generally get positive reviews.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

Trunk Club has nice stuff but is unholy expensive. If you don't mind dropping $100+ on almost every item, they'll get you good clothes.

Five four is absolute poo poo tier garbage. I'm almost positive they built unbranded garments and sew their label on. The quality ranges from a decent pair of raw denim to a black pullover that was literally so thin I could see through it. I also got a shacket from them that appeared to be made from a burlap sack, it was that bad. I had my profile set to "classic", nobody thinks a shacket when they think classic men's style. They don't have any rhyme or reason to what they send out. Scarf in June in Texas? You got it.

They also have terrible customer service and flat out didn't reply to me for weeks.

kedo posted:

I know a few folks who have tried these sort of services and none were fans. They seem to cater to the type of people who just love having new cloths that they'll wear once or twice before hanging them up in their closet forevermore in favor of the next new thing. If you have a more normal relationship with your clothing, you probably won't care for it.

Thanks for the advice, definitely just going to have to bite the bullet and take a day to get my wardrobe in better order!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I recently saw about half of Jurassic World in bits and pieces while doing things around the house, and I need something cleared up.

Is the whole thing a self-deprecating joke intended to deliver a scathing critique of Hollywood, the entertainment industry, and consumers as a whole? It seemed like it was drenched in Jurassic Park references and callbacks, breaded in self-aware commentary, then thrown in the deep fryer, resulting in

"hey remember how fuckin' awesome the first film was and how the raptors were scary and when the t-rex roared the first time it blew your goddamn nuts off, and then you idiots wanted BIGGER and MORE VICIOUS and 3D and haha look where we are now, look at this dumb poo poo, that guy from law and order who was in the first movie made a Frankenstein's DNA monster that can cloak and talk to raptors and trick stupid security guards, look at that security guard, that dumb motherfucker has crumbs and poo poo all over himself and he's fat and slow hahaha YOU BOUGHT TICKETS FOR THIS MONTHS IN ADVANCE that guy from guardians of the galaxy punched that other guy from law and order (not b.d. wong) and is riding a dirtbike alongside raptors wearing night vision goggles THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED everyone's carrying cell phones but none of them have service haha that's a common trope we made sure that was in there for sure, YOU PREORDERED THE JURASSIC WORLD VIDEOGAME FOR YOUR KIDS AT GAMESTOP we also made sure two dumb kids got lost in the park full of dinosaurs, we covered all the bases with a geeky computer tech, a strong-but-vulnerable female lead, haha did you see the part where she did her shirt up like laura dern in jurassic park, fuckin classic subtle referenceization right there, THIS FILM HAS SOMEHOW MADE $1.6 TO DATE BECAUSE OF YOU IDIOTS also yeah some bad dudes wanted to sell dinos to the military to use as weapons, how original is that poo poo right there, and that end fight holy poo poo dude where the bad new frankendino gets fuckin' wrecked by the old dinos nobody likes anymore, nobody cares about vanilla t-rex but you know what? his buddy blue the raptor does, i actually animated that little look and nod they gave each other before they walked off THE TYRANNOSAURUS REX AND RAPTOR ACTUALLY GAVE EACH OTHER A KNOWING LOOK, NODDED, AND WALKED OFF IN SEPARATE DIRECTIONS AND YOU CHEERED INSTEAD OF ASKING FOR A REFUND no joke i cried when it was done SOME OF YOU ARE ACTUALLY STILL SITTING IN YOUR SEATS WAITING FOR THE NEXT SHOWING; DID YOU NOT SEE THAT WE PUT JIMMY loving FALLON IN THIS FILM JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU WOULD ALL HATE IT AND NOW A SEQUEL AND A TELEVISION SERIES ARE BEING PRODUCED"

Does that about cover what it's all about, or did I miss something while doing dishes?

:yikes:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, and there's a good chance you'd be fine, but at a lot of places if you're up for a promotion or in trouble over something they'll pull your internet browsing records. It sucks, but honestly, IMO, it isn't worth the risk.

No joke? drat, I never even imagined that.

Would having a USB with your own personal little Mini Firefox or whatever those USB-supported browsers bypass the work block? Probably not, but idk.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Are there any good examples of fiction (or any other medium) about time-travel or use it as a major plot device that do it well? I think it's generally a rule of thumb that if a story involves time-travel, it's probably going to be terrible and muck up the internal logic on top of that.

Thanks! :)

Watch the movie Primer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've had many problems with USPS, and I complained to Amazon multiple times, asking for them to use UPS whenever possible, over USPS. I'd say 1/4 packages I get after bitching a bunch is USPS, so I guess that might help?

Also try seeing if there are USPS locker pick up boxes near you, they're 24/7 and only require your driver's license or a receipt kind of thing from Amazon. Pretty handy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I pulled the drawstring out of my Eno hammock's pouch, and I'm wondering: what's the best way to get it back in so I can get my hammock tucked away nice and neat and tiny? The string is frayed and pretty thin so licking it and just trying to thread it through the drawstring thingy, and I don't know if trying to tie it to something and push it through would work well.

Help me goons! My hammock game is failing right now. :qq:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Xpost from Something Offal...

Johnny Truant posted:

So I was an idiot and set my favourite pan down on a plastic grip mat, burning some of the material onto the bottom of the pan. Would acetone damage anything about the pan?

I can scrape most of it off but I was thinking it'd be best to make sure with some kind of solvent...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is it normal for a workplace to allow a large amount of unpaid time off without a specific leave of absence? I'll elaborate.

My coworker G has called in(given less than 24 hours notice) to work more times in their less than 1 year working at my job than I have in over 2 years, probably closer to my entire tenure at my job. I call in maybe 12 times per year max, and that was at the beginning of my job when I strongly disliked my boss and sometimes just had to have a me day or something. But G has basically called in entire weeks, and after once when we were talking and they said "Yeah I have like 8 hours of PTO for the rest of the year..." and then proceeded to call in 4/5 days in a row.

It's getting irritating to be honest, because I'm picking up G's slack probably 75% of the time they call in. And when they come back from whatever it is that caused them to miss work they're always in 110% health and chipper and whatnot. I feel bad getting irritated about this because I know a few of the issues have been child-related, but it also seriously feels like they're getting special treatment.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chop Sunni posted:

A reasonably corporate/govt employer in the UK will start leaning heavily on the worker for medical certificates or other formal justification in short order. Otherwise its at the discretion of the employer I guess - speak with your mgr if you're not getting adequate support to do your own work?

Yeah I kind of figured it was up to our manager/the higher ups to be approving it. It's not a huge deal since when I'm covering for them it's usually not a large amount of work, I think I'm just salty that I'm not taking as much time off as them :saddowns:

Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I've come into possession of a large punching bag, probably like 4' tall. It's got a large chain to hang it from... something, at the top. Is the only way to really get it functional buying a standing punching bag rack, kind of thing? I'm going to be moving to a second story apartment, would that be super loud to the upstairs neighbors(first floor is a realtor company so they don't factor in)?

I know nothing about this so sorry about the awesome terminology I'm using.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

photomikey posted:

You can lag bolt it into a joist in the ceiling. This would traditionally be done in a garage where you have access to the joist without that pesky drywall in the way.

Yeah, I thought of this and I doubt any form of bolting it somewhere in my rental will work. I realized after I asked the initial question that there is probably no other option, ah well.

I'm kind of hoping that the exposed brick wall of the unit has a sturdy enough bolt already anchored in that I can just hang it when I need it, but that's incredibly wishful thinking..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So, how do the verified purchases on Amazon work? You get a discount on the item so long as you write a review for it, correct? How do I get on this train?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Edit: figured this garbage furniture out, gently caress this poo poo design though, gently caress

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 13, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm having a tricky time trying to find parking laws for Cleveland, OH. Is it legal to park a U-Haul overnight there?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Find an outdoor parking lot via google earth and call them for an overnight rate?

I mean yeah that's a possibility, also looking into hotels, but I would like to know if it's legal to park on a residential street..

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

A lot of lovely cities (like Lansing, Michigan) have local ordinances against overnight street parking.

Exactly. I searched sound Ohio's DMV kind of page and found stuff relating to parking, but nothing relating to commercial vehicles on residential streets.

Probably just going to have to bite the bullet and either hotel it up or do a parking garage/lot. :sigh:

Next question: why does moving suck so much?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

greazeball posted:

Uncertainty, change, risk, loss of control, unfamiliar surroundings, large expenses, bureaucracy, time pressure, etc.

:suicide:

Luckily for me it's just the physical part of moving that's the biggest issue, although see me here in a few months asking questions about jobs and then I'll be in hot water...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Carbon Thief posted:

Here's the site for the Parking Violations Bureau. There's a customer service hotline, so try that maybe? Otherwise, try the Cleveland Code of Ordinances.

Oh this is perfect, thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Original iPad question time! So my partner is trying to download some large, textbook .pdfs onto my old, original, 1st gen iPad so she can study from it. Google Drive isn't supported on 1st gen iPads, and the files are too big to email to herself then subsequently download through gmail. Is there an alternate way to do this?

I haven't found the USB power cord yet so I forget if you can just do a simple file transfer via it to the iPad(you probably can and I'm just a dummy).

Edit: I did find the cable, and I've got it hooked up to my Windows 10 device. There's only a single folder in the iPad, DCIM. I can't copy items to it, but I can copy them directly to the root folder. Except as soon as I drag and drop, literally nothing happens. Do I need to add files to it through iTunes or something?

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 1, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a good website/book on purchasing land, specifically rural land? I'm interested in this down the line, figured doing some light research now may be a good idea.

I'm not looking to start a farm, but build property; looking for like, forested land, basically, that would need clearing, that sort of thing.

A cursory Google search popped up a few websites that seemed.. lacking, in my opinion, but then again I know diddly squat about this so...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

life is a joke posted:

dubba-ya-too

If you have access to an affordable real estate lawyer start there, since it's early in the process you might go for a free consultation to at least get an outline of the process. Maybe your employer has one of those group legal things like Hyatt and you can do a phone consultation? Might help fill in the blanks and you'll know what to look for specifically in your internet research.

Dope, this is great. Even if I don't set up an actual consult or anything this helps me with trying to Google search and whatnot. Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My Sony monitor headphones are finally dead, if the anything special to do with old electronics like that, out if it just straight in the trash?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

Are the drivers actually blown out, or is it just a cabling issue? Because you can replace the cable, or have someone replace it for you, pretty quickly and inexpensively, and if they're decent enough headphones it would be worth it.

They're 12 year old Sony MDR V6's. One of my cats chewed through the cable in multiple places, including where the cable enters the headphones housing.

I could probably get them rewired, but it's probably time I just buy another pair. I salvaged the nicer ear pads though, so I'm happy about that!

Thanks for the answers, though, I'll look up my city's trash laws.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This is probably a dumb question but oh well!

Is it safe to put two nails above my circuit breaker in my apartment? Maybe a couple centimeters directly above it. Plaster walls, circuit breaker box is just in the middle of a wall in my kitchen so I wanna hang something in front of it.

I'm assuming there are studs there as it's screwed in by four large screws, I just wanna make sure I'm not gonna hit a wire or anything and a) zap myself and b) hurt anything important in the box.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There’s a good chance the mains come in at the top. It’s mounted between studs, so if you go directly above it you may be in for a bad time.

Say no more, say no more. I kinda figured it was a no-go, just needed a bit of reassurance. Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quabzor posted:

Command hooks should work for most things that would be hung from nails.

Yeah I thought about those, but with the painting I was trying to hang over it they would stick out a bit farther than I'd like.

I'm torn between either waiting to get a poster reframed and command hooking it over it then, or trying to find a smallish tapestry or something to go over it. Decisions, decisions :psyduck:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spackling a plaster wall question:

So I am not new to spackling, but with my current apartment being plaster walls I wanted to just double check with some more experienced cats before going at it. I've got a handful of small holes in my walls I want to spackle, easy peasy. A few of them are slightly larger, like 1/2" size. Is it absolutely necessary to get the little mesh covering for these larger holes, or is just jamming it full of spackle sufficient? Is there a general cutoff for "okay to spackle without meshnetting" supports, as well?
Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Spackling a plaster wall question:

So I am not new to spackling, but with my current apartment being plaster walls I wanted to just double check with some more experienced cats before going at it. I've got a handful of small holes in my walls I want to spackle, easy peasy. A few of them are slightly larger, like 1/2" size. Is it absolutely necessary to get the little mesh covering for these larger holes, or is just jamming it full of spackle sufficient? Is there a general cutoff for "okay to spackle without meshnetting" supports, as well?
Thanks!

Bueller?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone help me find an article I'm looking for? It was about how to argue/debate/converse with someone who blatantly disregards facts. I feel like it had a buzzfeed-esque headline, but was actually well written. Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I feel like this is a super stupid question but here goes! Is it actually detrimental to batteries to leave them plugged in once they're fully charged? Not thinking any specific batteries, but just wondering. I'm charging a few small lithium batteries for an action camera, and sometimes I leave my bike headlamp plugged in for many hours after it's fully charged, but I didn't really think about it till now. Is that just like an urban legend, or does it actually affect battery performance/life?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for the tips y'all! Are rechargeable batteries, like AA Duracells or something, lithium ion batteries? I don't think I've ever thought this much about batteries before :thunk:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can anybody recommend a powerbank that can charge a Switch, and won't break the bank? I've heard that Anker is a good company? Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So there's a stretch of my bike commute where every third sidewalk tile(can't think of a better term for them) is raised a significant amount, enough so that it is an incredibly irritating bump; this is probably over the distance of a few hundred meters.

Why is this? lovely cement work, or is there an actual reason?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s so you can practice your bunny hops

It makes wheelies really hard alright :mad:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tuyop posted:

It’s to punish you for biking on the sidewalk. :argh:

Lol I knew somebody would point that out! It actually is a multi-use path that they re-paved so it's sidewalk. I don't bike on pure sidewalk anymore, promise!

TofuDiva posted:

Can you tell if it's a deliberate feature (i.e. really every third tile) or just an irregular unevenness? If it's designed in, I have no clue. If it's somewhat irregular, the concrete could be heaving due to heat, or the soil underneath could be swelling unevenly when it adsorbs moisture. Some clays do that to a surprisingly pronounced level.

There are stretches of road in the midwest that are on bentonite, and it's like driving on a roller coaster track. (Wheee!)

It's absolutely every third tile, which is why I bring it up.

I can't think of anything else for it other than a kind of equivalency to the rough parts of highways that let you know you're on the shoulder, like maybe it's too let you know that pedestrians can be on this specific stretch of path. :shrug:

Fake edit: it's not tree roots either, the entire sidewalk tile thingy is raised. I actually take this part of the path as opposed to an alternate one because that one has really bad roots loving up the path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Take a picture next time. Is it poured sidewalk or are they pavers?

I can def do that next week, my GoPro knockoff can show the regularity in bumpiness, too, haha.

I think it was poured concrete? But I'm not knowledgeable in the least about this topic so I'm not certain.