Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My girlfriend and I are moving to a smallish resort town for work and we're looking for a place to stay for a month or so while we look for something more long-term. The hotels are all $100-110/night, so we thought "if we're going to pay this much we may as well look into vacation homes"

We found a vacation home that seems nice, it's around $100/night, which seems to be around the right price if I'm to believe other listings. I talked to the owner on the phone for awhile, and he seemed like a nice old guy. But he's asking for a personal check for the entire stay in order to reserve the place. I'm not going to do this; is it weird of me to not want to send a personal check for thousands of dollars to a total stranger? Maybe this old-sounding guy just doesn't know any better; anyone have suggestions for convincing him that I don't need to send him a massive personal check?

gently caress I hate moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This guy I'm renting a vacation home from at first wanted a massive personal check sent to him in the mail, but when I said "no that would be crazy" now he's willing to set up a paypal invoice. How safe is this? I can chargeback through either paypal or my credit card if this turns out to be a scam, right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NaturalLow posted:

Personally I'd be wary of Paypal just because they're kind of a lovely company in general. But usually if there's some kind of dispute, Paypal will come down in favor of the person sending money unless the other party can offer some kind of ironclad proof in their own favor. So I guess you have that going for you.

Just going from your post, I assume you're using a credit card through Paypal rather than a linked bank account here?

That's right, I'll be using a credit card. from the comments so far I'm feeling pretty good about doing it this way. If I get there and everything was just a complete fabrication then at least I have 2 methods for seeking a refund

Golbez posted:

We have a direct flight to Vegas here on Allegiant, using by far the largest plane that flies from CID, and yes, they spend the whole time trying to sell you Blue Man tickets.

But I don't really see LA pressuring airlines to give cheaper rates to people flying from Cedar Rapids.

It still makes no sense. An argument of "There's more seats available from DFW to LAX!" ignores the part about there being a limited number of seats from CID to DFW. I mean, I'm not expecting it to cost twice as much to fly two legs, but to cost significantly less is confusing.

Airlines sell by assigning prices based on the number of remaining seats in a route + time until departure, basically. In one route, there are more seats left than in the other route, so it's cheaper right now. They're bundling the CID to DFW with the DFW to LAX and making it all cheaper than the CID to DFW leg alone because there are a lot more seats remaining on that flight to LAX.

Basically, don't think of it as getting a discount on CID to DFW; your roundtrip tickets will get canceled if you don't go all the way to LAX anyway. Those are just CID to LAX tickets with a layover somewhere.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell me your best space themed lawyer joke so that I can receive a free drink from a coworker

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I want to make a reproduction of a t-shirt that was only made in limited quantities. I have the original t-shirt in question, I want to make a second one. How do I go about doing this?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

How complicated is the print? Colors, detail etc.

Forums poster BrettRobb prints t-shirts professionally, ask him.

Thanks, I'll shoot him a PM. It's basically a dark blue shirt with a not-super-complicated graph on the front and some text. I have no idea whether this is hard or easy to duplicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell me what the gently caress I can do to actually clean the inside of a toaster oven, to the point of making it look really good. There's grime and scorch marks in there and vinegar and baking soda don't seem to do jack poo poo.