Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

reposting this in hopes that someone else sees it

Does this local radio station have a website? If so, they may have an FAQ or possibly a contact us link. Follow that link, and ask them. It would be very helpful if you had a current radio commercial that they could reference. A little social engineering might get you his name "That guy has such a distinctive voice, I'd love to put a name to it."

I would recommend keeping your irrational hatred out of any of the communications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

On the calorie count for sugar free gum it usually says something around 5 calories per stick. Is that the calorie count of all the "sugar" (and let's face it, saliva) that you are ingesting or is that counting as if you were to swallow the piece of gum?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Why do new media releases (CDs, DVDs, Games) come out on Tuesdays?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

TheGame posted:

Are you sure about this? My nutrition text says that labeling laws require all synthetically-produced substances to be identified as artificial, even if they're agents that exist in nature. I thinkthis agrees with me, but it's a bit vague.

e: yeah, the FDA guideline I quoted in my last post also states that a substance is artificial if it's lab-made. "Artificial flavor includes the substances listed in 172.515(b) and 582.60 of this chapter except where these are derived from natural sources." If substances that occur in nature were always classified as natural, they wouldn't include that line.

Yes, this is how you can get various products that include "Natural Vanilla Flavor", but the flavor comes from something like old oak tree branches.

Crankit posted:

I'm not Asian, and I'm not taking any medication, it has always happened with certain alcoholic drinks and not others :confused:

You could be allergic to certain other things in the beers and ciders other than the yeast. Most run of the mill beers are varying levels of water, yeast, hops, malt/barley. Special brews might use other ingredients (fruits and nuts for flavor) , but yes, different brewers might user different kinds of yeasts. Same with ciders.

I'm not sure on white wine, but it could be something to do with Tannins (found in some beers, many fruit juices, and wines) Different tannins exist in white and red wines if Wiki is to be believed.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Jiriam posted:

I have a couple of reports to do, but my computer crashed and the only program I have on my backup mini laptop is openoffice. If i do the reports in that, what format should I save it in to make sure it reads and works well in Microsoft Office Word?

There should be a save as option for .doc (word97/2000/xp)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with him or not. That would fall under natural because it's taken from the wood, not synthesized in a lab. Oak has a lot of vanillin in it, the principle flavor component of vanilla beans.

I was agreeing with him, and that "Natural vanilla flavor" that comes from oak is a completely valid use of the term "Natural". Completely Legit.

I was just pointing out that the term "Natural" was not to be used to determine the quality of a product by itself, and especially not in this context. I wouldn't want to pay for "Oak" if I'm shopping for Vanilla.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

randyest posted:

Good advice, but it's useful to consider that a suit and tie is not always the best impression. Suitable dress isn't as simple as max formalwear.

My next online persona is going to be named Max Formalwear now, thank you.

On topic, I've always heard that you should dress like your boss for an interview (gender appropriate obviously). So if your office dress code says the grunts are business casual, but your boss wears a suit M-F, bring a suit to the interview.

For a temp agency, if you've already done the interview with the employer, business casual should be fine, but nothing "lower" than that.

EDIT:VVVV Congratulations!

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 19, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Nissan has been running a commercial for a few months now that mentions "Zero Gravity Seats".

I know this primarily is marketing bullshit, but what do they really mean? Is it only marketing bullshit, like a brand or style name or trademark? Or is it some generic term like "bucket seats"? And if it is generic, what makes them "Zero Gravity"?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I was in California for the past week and while there I thought of a couple of questions:

1) Can someone explain the massive amounts of Propositions your state gets to vote on? I recall that Prop 8 was about gay marriage (don't remember if it was for or against though), and I think 39 had something to do with food labels, prop 30 has to do with education funding or smaller classes or something.

We don't get anything like that here in Wisconsin. I guess we're supposed to just trust the idiots we've elected to vote on these issues with out bringing them to the public's attention.

2) What determines the boarding order on a commercial airplane? I can understand giving the first 3-4 boarding calls to First Class ticket holders, frequent fliers, the disabled and rewards members. But groups 4-8 all appear to be from the same group of unwashed masses that I belong to. For my money it actually makes more sense to load up the plane from the rear forward. For what it is worth, I was flying United.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I can't connect to my secure WiFi network with my Android phone. The "Connect" button is blanked out and does not respond. When I unsecure my network, however, I can connect. My WiFi worked perfectly well with my previous Android phone. What is going on here?

It's a long shot, but does your secure network have a password that is at least 8 characters long?

I seem to recall that some of the older versions of the Android software itself required 8 characters in the password field, otherwise it won't allow connections.

I do not know of any specific workaround if this turns out to be the case, sorry.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RFX posted:

I could have sworn there was a leasing questions thread but I can't find it.

A friend of mine has a lease signed with a roommate, but due to some issues, the roommate wants out. My friend can either find someone to replace her or just break the lease, which is preferable. However, the roommate refuses to pay her half of the $3000 lease cancellation fee. Is there any way to force the roommate to split this? Can the roommate even get a new lease on a different apartment while still on this one, considering she doesn't make enough to cover two leases?

The legal questions megathread is the best place to go, but it goes something like this (I AM NOT A LAWYER, but I have studied some laws regarding leasing for friends):

Both renting parties entered into a legally binding contract (presumably), a lease, which has a stipulation of a $3000 early termination fee.

Legally, if the roommate wants out, they should have to pay for half of the money owed. But it gets a little fuzzy. She could bail completely (pack up and move away over a weekend) and leave your friend responsible for that $3000 fee. This wouldn't be wise on her part as now she would technically be in breach of contract with the leasing entity and your friend would probably end up taking her to small claims court. That could possibly get even more interesting as since the roommate's name is on the lease, depending on how long this went on for, if she is not paying her monthly share of the rent, your friend could potentially sue for half of the rent, plus half of the early withdrawal fee. Or if she packed up unannounced, there could be sway in a court to say that since she broke the contract by leaving, she would be responsible for more than half (but that is WAY beyond my scope and would be something to be debated in front of a judge)

The main takeaway is that if the lease is terminated, the apartment is going to get their money, one way or the other. Simplest solution for everyone is to keep the lawyers out of it.

But there are other, less painful options:
There's a lot of potential factors here we don't know, and I don't know if you would even have the answers, but do you know why the roommate wants out? Are they fighting? Did she lose her job or something? Is your friend abusive/cooking meth in the apartment? If it's something that can be resolved, both people are probably better off financially just putting up with the situation until the lease ends.

TL;DR: Both people who are on the lease are legally responsible for any breach of contract fees, and any sane court would state that the split for such fees would be 50/50 (barring any mitigating circumstances)

Oh, and to answer your second question: No, there is nothing to stop someone from having several leases for several apartments (even within the same complex) in their name. If you can pass a credit/background check and can pay your rent, you can rent as many properties as you want, legally. The trick is that you are still liable for anything you sign for.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

People have a tendency to toss "OH no! HIPAA violation" around a lot, because if you work in the field, it gets drilled into you six ways from Sunday that "Any potentially identifying material", transmitted or shared, digitally or through analog means, could possibly violate HIPAA.

If you work for insurance or medical research the HIPAA training can take weeks, but it boils down to "Don't give anyone anything that could identify a patient unless you have written permission to share said data with a trusted entity (other insurance agent, medical professional, etc.)"

I know where I worked that if a spouse called in asking about details on the account, if they were not the primary insured, and they were not listed as having control option on the account, I could not even provide the phone number on the account by their say so alone. But I'm derailing.

In short, if your aunt is friends with the people she took the pictures of, and the only people appearing in said pictures is your aunt and said friends, she's probably fine. Chances of any hospital getting in trouble for a couple friends taking staged pictures is approximately nil. Keep in mind all the people who take pictures of babies in hospitals. Aunts, uncles and grandparents are not being brought to justice for HIPAA violations by the dozens for snapping baby photos.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying to find work, and want to get started at Geek Squad, or at a call center doing over the phone tech support. How do I get started? Is this a good career path if I want to transfer out of my hometown somewhere else? (I loving HATE Los Angeles, and want to move to San Jose or Livermore or somewhere just... Nicer.)

I'll chime in with some first hand experience here. I worked for the Geek Squad for about a year. Was hired on directly to the squad, which is unusual, as they want you to usually put in your dues on the sales floor first. Why, because it's all about upselling.

At the time I worked there, I think I was working for the only competent store in the area. It used to be about fixing people's computers and sending them on their merry way. From what I understand now, it's only about how much they can sell you. There is no more option to "Tell me what's wrong" for $70. I think it's an all inclusive "general computer problem" package for $150 as a baseline.

I'm pretty good at repairing issues, and at Best Buy (and probably every other big box tech center) 95% of what you encounter is spyware/virus stuff. Good practice, and some very practical skills can get honed. Or you can just reload the OS.

As I stated the big focus is selling poo poo to people. Computer running slow? Sell em some RAM (on top of cleaning up software issues). Still running slow? New computer time. Plus for an extra $25, we'll open the box, install the software/hardware we sold you, and make sure the login has your name on it. (This is all we did on Black Friday. For hours.)

Also, you probably won't get the "cool" job, running around in the little car, going to people's homes and flashing the badge (gently caress the haters. It is a real, professional quality, this is where cops get their badges from, badge.) That is reserved for the high level guys and it is the most coveted spot. Lot of freedom, big pay boost, and that's the job everyone thinks of when they think of working for the Geek Squad. You won't get that. You will be glorified register bitch.

Now, and for roughly the past 7-8 years I have been doing phone tech support to different degrees and under different titles. I like it better in terms of job satisfaction, and it pays better at this point. Phone support/call centers have a high turnover for a reason, you are going to start off getting yelled at by people who have no business sitting in front of a computer, for something that you didn't do, and most likely they did. It will eat away at the very fabric of your belief in the human mind and erode away most of you faith. Depending on the job I had freedom all the way up to "Connect to the user's network remotely and fiddle with their server configuration" down to "You aren't allowed to tell the users to reboot unless it's on the flowchart".

But I'm getting way off topic. If you have some basic skills, and you don't mind answering the same question over and over again, for the same three people, go for phone support. If you are more sales inclined, try for Geek Squad, but you'll probably have to hit the sales floor first. Most temp/placement agencies will have a lot of openings for call center people, so that would be a good place to start.

drat. That's a lot of resentment for my past jobs.

GreenCard78 posted:

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket while using a uhaul?

It looks like you got some kind of answer, but I'd double check the math. You started off stating that it was a $70 charge and edited in a total of $55.

It makes sense that it took a long time though because, presumably, the offence had to occur (and it wasn't a speeding ticket or other offence you were pulled over for from context, I'm guessing running a red) the plate had to be run, u-haul had to check their records, see who had that truck at that time, and then track you down. Since you were likely moving, that might have taken some time.

If you really doubt it, ask them to send you a copy of the original ticket.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 15, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

^^^^Yeah, that kind of sums up my post as well.

Turtlicious posted:

I kinda just wanted to sit in the back and fix poo poo, as I assumed that's what you did in Geek Squad, let people with personalities actually do the talking part. I just want to get computers working. I was able to take MASSIVE amounts of abuse in my telemarketing job, so I'm hoping I can handle a job similar to that but not having to worry about selling people stuff. (Seriously, gently caress Sales, I always feel so slimy when I have to lie to people for their money.) How'd you get the customer service jobs? (I know you said temp agencies, but do you have any you'd reccomend? Also how do they work?)

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Unfortunately, not the case, I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, you will be "in the back" working on computers and fixing the issues. But "in the back" actually means "kind of off to the side where customers can still see you". That may vary a bit from store to store, but no one spends 8 hours nose buried in a computer issue and never dealing with the public. That's kind of the whole premise is to take away the mystery, and the idea of some tech troll taking your computer into so darkened corner and performing the appropriate rites to save your data. No, it's happy smiling people, who bullshit you and make you feel relaxed and comfortable and willing to spend more.

If you are looking for a kind of job where you don't deal with the public but you fix up computers you have a handful of options. Depending on your personal resources, you can go into business for yourself. Problem is, at some point all those people you don't want to deal with are the people who give you money. Not an optimal solution, but you can make a little extra scratch doing this on the side.

Another option is with the rollout of the last few Windows OS systems, there are companies that specialize in going to other companies and upgrading their software/hardware a few hundred units at a time. Boring and unreliable, and since Windows 8 is not exactly built with business users in mind, probably not happening a whole hell of a lot. Though, ironically, my last company is just now migrating everyone to Windows 7, so that would be an example. 20,000+ computers that need to be upgraded. The other major downside is that as soon as the OS is loaded everywhere, job's done - hit the bricks.

The only other possible avenue that would be like what you are looking for is to work for a relatively small company that doesn't specialize in IT. Then you would be one of the few go to guys to fix computer problems. The downside is two fold here: 1)If all you are hired to do is fix issues as they come up, they are either not going to hire you full time, or it will be your main focus, but you'll actually spend most of your day doing office work. If you are cool with a jack of all trades kind of job, this is pretty good. 2) If you do get on as the full time, main computer guy, you had better know your poo poo, because they are going to be looking to you to solve it. And if you find yourself in that position, the solution better be free, because there is absolutely no money in the budget. If there was, they wouldn't hire just one guy.

I would recommend checking staffing companies still. I don't know what they have in Cali, but Kelly Staffing, Experis, Manpower, Adecco, Accenture, and probably hundreds of others will likely have opportunities. Those are just the ones I can name off of my head. I currently work for Manpower/Experis/Accenture (it's complicated), but if you search Career Builder for tech jobs, 90% or better will be contract or contract to hire. Those are usually staffing company jobs.

It's not terrible to be a contractor, but depending on where you work, there might be a bit of a divide between contractors and "real" employees. But that is usually a failing of management more that the employees themselves. The major downside to being a contractor is right there in the name. You are contracted for a set period of time, usually 3, 6 or 12 months and then technically your time would be up. However, past experience has shown me that if you show up and just do your job, they'll renew the contract or extend it or whatever they call it this time. Contract to hire is usually pretty rare and can often be the carrot that they dangle in front of you, but it is usually so much cheaper for the parent company to just keep you on as a contractor.

Sorry, if I'm posting too much. It's pretty rare that I have experience that can actually help someone.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, I'll start looking at temp work for agencies and what not, Thanks man I appreciate the help. What do IT guys normally deal with day to day? (I'm imagining a lot of, "Help the internet is slow!" and "Help, I accidentally my hard drive!")

Sorry for late response, been away for a little bit.

Really it varies from job to job. If you are dealing with the general public, the most common complaint is slow computer and the most common cause is virus/spyware. After that, it's usually specific software issues with the most common causes being user error. Half the people don't know any better, and the other half will be lying constantly.

In business, depending on the field, the issues will usually require more specialized training/more detailed fixes on your end. A mail server is not receiving mail from one specific sender at a domain, but all other senders' messages get through, for example. I will say that in my experience, Doctors have been the worst people to work with professionally as they are know-nothing, know-it-alls when it comes to technology.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Experto Crede posted:

Or just an adjustable height desk chair? I don't see how people can consider a cashier sitting a sign of laziness. People wouldn't expect receptionists to stand at their desks all day. In the UK at least it's just a given. Besides, standing in one spot for hours on end can't be good for you.

That's why you get up, go to the stock room, get some cleaning supplies, and wipe down any horizontal surface. "If you have time to lean, you have time to clean" was an oft repeated mantra I recall from my retail days.

If only one cashier was seated, I would assume an injury or other ailment that prevented them from standing comfortably, but otherwise, yeah, you should be standing. If you are seated, that shows that you don't have the time to deal with me (again, assuming a normal chair and not some kind of adjustable).

On a logistics side, that's one more item for the business to purchase, maintain and inventory and it's unnecessary $$$ going out the window. Plus, with a decent office chair, potential theft item. Don't tell me employees wouldn't try to take it.

And, on a less likely note, there are potential hazards to having extra furniture around; One more obstacle to avoid in case of fire or other emergency. And who typically works as cashiers? Young idiots. Who might be tempted to horse around if no customers are around, and again, one more thing to trip over, fall backwards from on top of, misuse as a step-stool, etc.

So, from the business side, I can spend extra money on chairs for my cashiers, so they can feel comfortable, or I can hire able bodied people, capable of standing for several hours at a time. And again, if you are standing still in a retail job, either your manager sucks, your store is spotless, or your store is going out of business. Those things could be related.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Litch991 posted:

Any help with iTunes audio woes would be greatly appreciated.

All the tracks for my books are being sorted 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4, etc. Any fix for this issue?

Also - each CD I burn of my books keeps being read as separate books. I tried "part of compilation" and nothing happens. There are still 11 different "books" when in reality it's just an 11 CD book.

Found a thousand different answers online and any smart goon tips would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks!!

For the individual tracks, look at your list in itunes and one of the headers should be "Sort Name" (it may be hidden by default. Just right click in the header bar if that's the case). Edit as necessary. Stick with a two digit system for all track names (01, 02-09, then 10, 11, etc)

For the books showing up as separate disks, is there no way for you to label the album as "BOOK TITLE volume 1 of 11"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

GreenCard78 posted:

Why does Ink Masters have a time limit?

Who would get a tattoo from someone on a time limit? :psyduck:

The same reason they have time limits on cooking shows: To make it challenging. If I was given the same 4 ingredients as the contestants on Chopped, but I had all drat day to do something with it, I could probably make a very good dish out of it.

The time limit levels the field a bit. The idea being that, if you are good at what you do, you should be able to show off what we are looking for, your technique in this specific area, within the time allowed. If you can't do that, you're not good enough to win our competition.

As for who would go through with that: people with skin to loose. People who want a tattoo, but don't want to pay for it (I'm assuming the tattoos are comped for the competition). People who wan't a tattoo, but aren't all that concerned about quality. Or if they really believe the hype, the artists are the best of the best and so they should be able to create just what they are looking for in a few hours. Also, they may have some deal where if the tattoo is not completed in the time allowed, they might give you the option to have it finished before you leave. Maybe for the competition, they stop everything when time is up, and take pictures, then finish up the work while the other behind the scenes stuff is being completed/set up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

JD posted:

I have a semi beat up 1982 Los Angeles - Oranges counties Thomas guide. Would this fetch any cash anywhere?

Probably not too much. Check Ebay and see if you can find anything similar, but just from the description you would probably only get something like $10 at the most.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Golbez posted:

How long do I wait until bothering someone on eBay about when they're going to ship my item? I bought a Christmas tree off eBay. The auction ended Dec 2, I paid on Dec 3. It's now Dec 5, with a proposed receiving window of Dec 7-Dec 20. Since this is obviously something we want by Christmas and also something that obviously can't be sent next-day, I'd like it shipped out sooner rather than later, but I also don't want to be a harassing jerk.

Start with a friendly inquiring email "Hey, have you shipped this yet?". Or, just to be clear, when you say that you paid, was it through paypal or a check? (I know almost no one uses a check now a days) He could be waiting for the money to clear, which I would call a very valid reason to wait.

If he responds right away with anything positive (Just sent it out today), let it go, but ask if he received an estimated date. If you don't get a response fairly quickly, (by Sat) then you can start bugging him. That gives him a whole week to get his act together.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Just got to see Skyfall last night (for anyone that hasn't seen it, go) and in the opening chase scene, James Bond is being harassed by a guy who is using a hand gun (not a gun guy, but looks like a 9mm) that is drum fed. I've never seen anything like that IRL or any other movies. Is that a real thing, or just some clever movie "wouldn't it be cool if" thing?

EDIT: Cool. As an aside, I thought it was pretty cool how they handled the old Hollywood thing of never ending ammunition and had guns run out and James checked his ammo count at least twice.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 7, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

How did the old Nintendo and Sega light guns work? I seem to recall that even when plugged into the system they didn't emit any visible light when the trigger was pulled, but unlike the Wii and Kinect, there was no sensor bar back in the day. And this was technology from a time when putting an IR emitter in a "toy" seemed way out of place.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Catman Begins posted:

Before Christmas I wrote a Facebook status update (only visible to 4 people that I work with) asking if they had been paid yet because I hadn't. We didn't mention salaries or how much was owed or who we work for, although some of us list our employers on Facebook (I don't).

Back at work this morning, we got a companywide email that contained:

Can my empoyer stop us from talking about them on social media? 'Indirect references' covers pretty much anything. Saying 'I had a poo poo day at work today' indirectly references who I work for, for example.

I'm not going to fight the decision as I'm not desperate to talk about who I work for on Facebook, but can they actually enforce this legally? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Absolutely they can. They can, and should, request that unless you are otherwise directed by a manager or supervisor, you do not associate yourself as a representative of that company using social media.

You can probably say "I had a lovely day at work today". You cannot say "I had a lovely day working for the slave drivers at ABC company because that bitch Brenda in accounting ate the last jelly donut." Do keep in mind that Facebook is a public forum and anything you say or do there could come back and bite you in the rear end. To put it another way, I wouldn't post anything to facebook that I wouldn't want my boss to see.

They can't control what you post on the internet, but they can say what you posted violates the rules that have been outlined in the handbook and you are terminated for this violation. Again, read your handbook after the updates come through. If it sounds like complaining about your job might get you fired, don't post it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

On the Discovery series Moonshiners, the premise is (in short): A camera crew follows several groups of hill-folk as they make home brew liquor. This is an illegal activity in this country.

In one of the two episodes that I have seen, one camera crew is with the moonshiners, and another crew is with law enforcement (ATF?). I don't know how much of this show is staged, but 1) Isn't filming a crime a really stupid thing to do, much less broadcasting it? and 2) Isn't the camera crew obligated to assist law enforcement in finding these yahoos? What would prevent the ATF guys from saying "You with the camera, tell us how you got to this guy's still, or we'll charge you with obstruction. How is this a thing?

Ron Don Volante posted:

Is there a good type of paint for use on glazed ceramic surfaces?

It depends on what you are trying to do and what the piece is. From what I recall of when my mom made ceramic and porcelain dolls, it goes something like this: A piece of 'wet' ceramic will be made with pigments in it already. The piece is fired in a kiln and hardened. After that, the piece is then further painted with ceramic paints and fired again at a lower temperature so the paint is actually baked on the piece. Glazes can be applied to give the finished product a shiny, smooth surface.

So, it depends on what the piece is, and what you plan to do with it. If it's something like a flower pot, you can find some spray paints that can stick to a smooth glazed surface and then, if you want, apply a clear lacquer. If it's something like a doll that you are touching up or restoring, a craft store might be better suited for what you need.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

General Venereal posted:

Really quick question: what's the American slang/name for the dish where you layer whole nacho chips, mincemeat and cheese in a casserole dish and stick it in the oven for a while? (Not 'nacho pie'). Thanks a bunch in advance!

It almost sounds like you are describing "Frito Pie", which is made with Chili (as opposed to just cooked mincemeat) on top of corn chips (Specifically Fritos) and topped with cheese, then baked until the cheese is melted.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

N. Senada posted:

Follow up question to the greyhound stuff; I've never used them before.

They're asking me for my name because I'm paying, but also want the name of the other rider. I've got a pretty good idea of who's going, but if that person backs out will I not be able to use his ticket with someone else?

It's mostly for security purposes, just like buying a plane ticket. It's less likely that someone will hijack a greyhound bus, but still possible.

That being said, you can contact customer service and verify with them but I imagine it would go like one of these three scenarios:

1) You and your friend leave as planned - No problems
2) Your friend bails at the last minute - Probably can get a reduced refund on the ticket, say 75-80% of the ticket price.
3) Friend bails and you find a replacement, might have to pay a slight re-processing fee, but they would probably let you both get on the bus.

Reason posted:

Is it ok for your boss to curse and yell at you? I mean I know that really, I should never be berated at the workplace because that's unprofessional, and I'm getting really tired of it, but is it something I can file some kind of complaint with L&I about? I'm already looking for a new job, but I want to make their lives frustrating when I do find a new job.

How about if I also very rarely get a lunch break if at all?

The cursing thing could go either way and it depends on context. If your boss tells you to "clean up that pile of poo poo", eh. Probably nothing you can do, especially if he talks like that around everyone.

On the other hand, if he tells you to "bring your tits into his office before he fires your loving rear end", that's a bit more on the nose.

It also depends on the environment you work in, plus the relationship you have with he company. If you are both men and you're working at a construction site: suck it up. If you work in an office building or a restaurant or in retail: he shouldn't be doing that. If he's a man and you're a woman, it's probably uncalled for in any situation. (That may be a little sexist on my end)

So, if it bothers you, go talk to an HR person, but as you have mentioned, you are already looking for a path out, so keep that in mind.

As for the lunches thing, again, it depends on the job and your schedule, and state laws. When I was working in Illinois, if I didn't take a lunch in the first 5 hours of working there, I couldn't work a full 8 hours and had to leave by hour 6 or 7. Why are you not getting a lunch? Are you too busy? Has your manager come by and said, "no lunches today, bitches"? Do you work 8 hour shifts, or only 7? Do you get breaks? Legally, I believe that you are entitled to some form of break, assuming you work an 8 hour shift, but I only know laws for Illinois/Wisconsin.

I do know that in every place I've worked there was a great big OSHA poster somewhere in the building that was in plain sight that told you what your rights as a worker are, and who to contact in case you feel your rights are being violated. Check out https://www.osha.gov if you are really concerned.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 23, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I want to test the acoustic range of my hearing, ie how high and how low frequency sound I can sense. Is there an application that can do this, or should I see a physician who has specialised equipment?

Like cakefool said, if you are concerned about your hearing for health purposes, see a medical professional.

If you kind of want to get an idea just for the sake of "fun", you can look up mosquito ringtones online. They will usually give you a range from 2400hz down to maybe 1300hz (Which anyone can hear, IMO). This can give you a rough idea of your upper range.

If you want to go for lower limit, you can try what wagonburner suggested and play with audacity or other program that can generate tones.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

So you're saying that the US has its own confusing little setup while the rest of the world uses a system based on logic and consistency?

Yeah, like THAT would ever happen. :fsmug:

Seriously. Why just this morning I walked the 1.7 kilometers to my doctor's office, where I was weighed in at 15 stones. That's a little overweight, so he prescribed me 83 cc of dietary supplement every fortnight. It's a good thing I have insurance, otherwise those 25,863 ha'pennies would have come out of my wallet.

EDIT:VVVV It's money. Someone ALWAYS cares.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Crankit posted:

I've seen american immigration portrayed on TV a couple of times and one question they asked is Are you or have you ever been a member of the communist party, if they still ask why do they still ask that and what happens if you say yes?

I doubt that it is still asked anymore, as it came from the cold war era, when Communists lead to ideas such as getting rid of god and corrupting the nation's youth. Basically communists were trouble makers for the people in power, and an easy target to discriminate against.

If you said yes back then, they could have done anything from "Not give a poo poo", to detention, to flag your file for further review, to refuse entrance to the country. Most likely, your application would be 'reviewed' and rejected. Back to Siberia you go.

If they still ask today, it's probably because the process has not been updated since the 80's and it's just on the checklist.
Name?:
Age?:
Sex?:
Communist?:

Commies are not what flags your immigration file anymore. We've evolved past judging people based on political and social leaning, and instead now judge potential immigrants based on the color of their skin or how funny their name sounds.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Wagonburner posted:

When someone robs/steals/murders/whatever and the news is talking about them or cops/prosecutor being interviewed by news talking about them, whether this person has been caught or on the loose they're referred to as a "suspect" until convicted. I get this, innocent until proven guilty and all.

Why though does a guy does a guy actively holding a 5 year old kid in a box underground in front of people still get the "suspect" label?

If you as a citizen witness a bank robbery can you accurately say "the robber ran that way." If a cop witnesses it, can he accurately say "robber ran that way" or does suspect have to be used there too?

You answered it yourself. "Innocent until proven guilty, in a court of law". In your bank robber example, if two guys go into a bank wearing a red shirt and jeans, one of them robs a teller and both run out at the same time and in opposite directions, how do you know which person the eyewitness saw? The robber, or the unfortunate bystander? The cop is trained to use the term suspect.

In your kidnapper example, the man is still a suspect, but he faces overwhelming evidence that he did what he is accused of. He could deny it all the way from arrest up to conviction, but until he is found guilty, he's just a suspect.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Is there a thread about health insurance/medical expenses somewhere? Not for discussing the politics of it or whatever, but like "What is a deductible? What is a copay? My insurance won't cover (something) and I can't afford it--what can I do?" I work in medical billing and a lot of people are shockingly ignorant about this sort of stuff. I'd like to help people with this but I don't really want to start a thread.

There is an ask/tell thread all about insurance. Had it bookmarked earlier, if I find it again, I'll post it.
EDIT: Here we go
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488763

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 5, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So here's a bizarre thing. I was out to lunch today with some friends and they took an embarrassing picture of me during the meal. They joked about putting it up on facebook or some such and I joked that "OK, great, make me internet famous again."

Now, they caught on to the "again" part and demanded to know what I meant by that. I told them to google my name and see what comes up, knowing that nothing interesting is there.

Or so I thought.

When I was back in the office I decided to check it out for myself (cause I haven't in probably 5 years). What I found was some resume cleaner guy has used one of my resumes as an example, without my permission. He removed all my personal info, and changed the names of the companies, but obviously, he still kept some identifier that google caught. And after review, it's clearly one of my old resumes. He didn't change the font or anything.

So, I don't know in what capacity he is using this (as a good example or a bad one), and I just found it on a whim, but can I ask him to remove it? Should I even bother? My resume is on career builder and other job search sites, but I don't believe that this is an authorized use of something I created. I'm not looking to sue or pursue any legal action, but for some reason this makes me uncomfortable.

tl;dr: Some "fix your resume" site is using my resume without my permission. What course of action is best, if any?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Many societies have outlawed gay marriage and miscegenation, so why haven't any outlawed May-December romances?

The reason the first two were ever illegal in the first place is that the ignorant society at the time viewed at least one half of that relationship as "sub-human" or even not human/property. You could no more marry a black man, than you could a table. Thankfully, I believe that I'll see full gay marriage adopted at the federal level before I die.

With a May-December romance, while it might be creepy to an outside observer, as long as both people are legal aged, rational, consenting adults, it's perfectly fine in the eyes of the law.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Vitamins posted:

What colour is lobster meat? I was under the impression that it was white both when raw and cooked. But my housemate bought a cheapass tin of it and it was a red/brown colour. This wasn't like chunks of lobster meat, it looked minced and had sort of the texture of cheap wet cat food. It didn't have any flavouring that might have accounted for the colour, did he just get an off can of it or something?

It should be white or off white when cooked, with red colored parts where it was in close contact with the shell.

It's possible that the can was a little on the old side, but if it smelled and tasted OK he's probably safe. All that being said, if it looked like cat food he might have received a can of low quality lobster meat, kind of how low end canned tuna has a dull pink/brown color to it, where better stuff is a kind of off white.

Best bet, cheap brand is ugly because it uses lower quality input to start with, but is safe for human consumption.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Incidentally, if a quick Google search on the topic can be believed (http://mentalfloss.com/article/19437/why-drinking-age-21), the drinking age was chosen at 21 because in old English law that was the age at which you became eligible for knighthood. (Other sources [http://www.legalflip.com/Article.aspx?id=20&pageid=93] cite differences in how the brain deals with alcohol depending on age, with 21 being the "magic" number at which the brain is fully mature. But the knighthood argument is a lot more fun, even if it's wrong.)

And even that's a fairly recent development. I want to say that in the late 70's-mid 80's, the drinking age was just 18. That could be a state by state thing though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

when worlds collide posted:

It is doubtful I will get an answer to this utterly ridiculous (and rather spotty) question, but I'm going to ask because drat, you people are good. This has been bugging me for ages and it would be really nice to put it to rest.

There was a regular box office movie in the 80s about time travel, one of those gimmicky fantasy type movies, just a fun film. I barely remember anything about it except for one scene, where this old timey guy had come to the future with some other guy, and referred to the Mc Donald's restaurant as 'McDougal's'. It had nothing to do with Bill and Ted nor any adventures, excellent or otherwise. Does anyone out there know of this movie? Knowing its title would pretty much make my day. So I will say 'thank you' in advance although I will not be surprised if nobody knows what the frig I'm talking about.

As was pointed out a little earlier in the thread, you can try the "Identify a Movie for Me" thread in CD. The name McDougal makes me think of Coming to America. Not really time travel, but definitely a fish out of water story.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On shows like the Bachelor are the contestants allowed to bang each other behind the scenes to add to the whole chemistry angle thing or is there strict contract protocol that they can't?

Ninja: I was going to write up that it's not against the rules but it's probably frowned upon when my good friend google pulled up an interview with a former contestant. In short, the contestants are all adults and whatever happens in the "fantasy suite" happens. If he decides she's a bad lay, there's nothing stating that he can't kick her off the show.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Is it just me, or does (weed smoke, cigarette smoke, whatever) stick to my clothes far less when it's cold out than when it's hot out? If so, why?

OK, this makes sense in my head, so let's see if I can type this out in a way that makes sense. When air is warm, air molecules move about faster and more freely; when it's cold, they move more slowly and are closer together. Smoke molecules have to move from their point of origin (a cigarette or campfire) through the air, to your clothes. If they are bumping into other air molecules between point a and point b, they lose some of their energy and might not make it to your clothing. Think of smelling garbage around a dumpster. When it's warm out it's easier to smell that from a farther distance than when it's cold out.

Or to put it another way, the smell of something burning is carried by the energy of the radiant heat from its source. The energized molecules lose less energy when the surrounding temperature is warmer, so they can travel further.

I don't know if this is right, but it seems like a good explanation.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Poldarn posted:

Shut downs, restarts from the Start menu, power outages, desktop resets every time.

OK, two things to test.

1) arrange the icons how you want, reboot and then start in safe mode (F8 at startup, before the windows logo appears). If the icons are left the way you arranged them, run MSCONFIG, got to startup, disable all, reboot to normal mode. See if your icons re-arrange. If not, something in your startup list is causing the problem. Run malware scans in safe mode and try again.

2) If that doesn't work, as a test, try creating a new profile. copy your desktop icons from the old one, arrange how you like and reboot. Log back into the new profile. Problem solved? original profile is corrupted and needs to be repaired.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Poldarn posted:

Thanks for the tips. My icons still reset on safe mode, even after the malware scans, but didn't reset when I made a second profile. I guess my next stupid question is how do I repair this profile?

Try here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Not something I've done before, so I can't really advise past this point. HTH.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Crimpanzee posted:

I just made a thread about an annoying situation and it got moved for being too longwinded so maybe I should have started here.

TLDR; Frontier has been overcharging the wrong credit card while failing to provided service as described. Will telling my bank to stop accepting charges from them screw up my credit/ get me sued and am I right to demand a refund.

Deatils here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536218

I am not a lawyer, banker, credit merchant, or representative of an ISP. Take the following as it is presented: advice from some guy on the internet.

Call you credit card company and ask for the charges to be suspended/reversed. My card allows me to do this online. This should put the charges into a state of 'dispute'. It doesn't mean you aren't responsible for the charges, but it should put a hold on the bills. Frontier doesn't get paid, and you don't get charged. Yet.

Contact Frontier customer service. Everyday if necessary. Open a problem ticket and get a confirmation number. Ask to go directly to the billing department. Make someone listen to you. Ask for the next highest person each time you call until it is resolved. Get their names, first and last or an ID number. And be ready to set aside an hour each day, and be ready to repeat the same crap each time. You want results? Make them get on a first name basis with you. They win if you give up. Every month that you accept the answer of "It'll be fixed next time", is another charge to the wrong account.

That being said, DO NOT BE AN rear end in a top hat TO THE CSR! That first person who answers the phone? They didn't cause this problem, and in all likely hood the can't fix it. Be patient, have all of your facts straight, be firm but polite. Anything else just gets everyone worked up. And I will freely admit to hanging up on customers who start off their phone call by yelling.

I didn't read the whole thread you started, but your complaints seem legit. As it stands, it sounds like they are billing you the top tier price but have not increased your speed any (but how are you checking that? How can you prove it if they say "yup, you've got the faster connection"). Check to see what package they have you listed under on file. They may be billing you for the $50/month because that's what their computer says to do.

But, if they did agree to change your credit card on file, bill you at the lower rate, and refund you for three months worth of overcharges, you are entirely within your rights to demand a refund. The trick is proving it, and since this company swooped in and took over for some satellite company, it could be a long drawn out phone battle.

All other things being equal, disputing a claim on your credit card shouldn't affect your credit rating. Cancelling your credit card could. Since from your description these are legitimate complaints, it shouldn't have a negative effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I should have specified, but I was referring more to professional photography. Like how all of the photos of food at divey Chinese restaurants look like they are from the 60's.

Despite the relatively recent trend of people taking pictures of food in restaurants, the lighting isn't usually the best for taking snapshots. Especially in divey places. Or, perhaps more to the point, if you are talking about the picture menus located inside said divey Chinese food places, they're cheap stock photos, probably from the late 80's and from the supplier/franchise office.