Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Does anyone post from a blackberry smartphone? I try to make a post but when I press 'post' I get an error message saying my post is 0 characters long and to stop spamming.

Edit: apparently sometimes it will let me anyway. Fancy that.

quote:

I'm looking into getting a smaller-sized HDTV (somewhere around 32 inches) for my room, mainly for use with an Xbox 360, but I may look into getting a cable box in my room as well.

I was wondering, what's the difference between LCD and plasma? Which would be better to buy? And what do the HD numbers and letters mean? (for example, 720p and 1080i)

Thanks.

I'm not an expert in this area but I can say that if you get a plasma it'll heat up your room better than an oven with the front open.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a name for the situation in which someone performs a task so poorly it motivates others, who were previously unwilling, to do that task?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I know very little about nuclear bombs and whatnot but playing Civ today got me thinking about a pretty scary question.

"Little Boy" was the atomic bomb that the US dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. It had the explosive power of 13k-18k tons of TNT. Assuming 65 years of development, how big of a boom would come from the most powerful bomb that could be made? Would it be possible to make an explosion so large that it throws off the Earth's orbit? How about nuking the moon so hard it crashes into the Earth?

Edit: and is there a good book I can read about some crazy guy that wants to do this?

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 20, 2010

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Our old plasma tv makes a quiet back-and-forth scraping sound when it is on. What's wrong?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a way to keep youtube from changing the video quality to 480p after going full-screen, thus reloading the entire video?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Could I get in trouble for forging the expiration date on my contact lens prescription?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is it this?

(Still a good read even if it isnt what you're looking for)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Do traffic lights change based on recorded traffic data or do they somehow analyze current traffic conditions?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm looking for data on planets, both our solar system and others: coordinates, sizes, orbits, moons, etc. Things that would be necessary for recreating an animated model. Is going to each planet's wiki page my only hope or is there a more, uh, 'concise' set of data?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Got this alert on my blackberry this morning and I have no idea what it's for. Looks sorta like this.

What is it? Checked everything I can think of but it won't go away. A quick googling says it could be blackberry messenger related but I haven't even used that since I got the phone (and I lost/deleted the shortcut for it.)

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 20, 2012

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

I really like this line of work, but I want to do it with a company with strong ethics and conviction about the business (like yours :smug:), and at the time I left, I felt my last employer was lacking in that department.

If I've learned anything from the STYCADTPYO thread in SH/SC, it's that you NEVER say something detrimental about your previous employer.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

spog posted:

Not all USB ports have the power to drive a HDD as they are relatively power hungry.

e.g. some computers don't have enough power to drive a HDD plugged into every port simultaneously. An unpowered hub will not be able to spin it up. Some standalone devices (media players) might not have enough power.

To add to this, I once had a drive that was the same way; I attempted to use it on an old laptop and it specifically told me when I plugged it in that the USB port would not provide enough power to make the drive function.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dudebro posted:

I live in a New York-like climate where bugs and spiders are more plentiful when it gets to spring/summer/fall type weather. Is there something to trap those little house spiders (around 0.5" long)? I know they're not really harmful, but it would give me some ease of mind. I haven't really seen any traps specifically for spiders in a store, but I haven't looked at any specialty places.

edit: I see that Amazon has general critter traps when I search for "spider trap". Are these the best solutions?

I know a relative that swears by some appliance that you plug into an outlet then emits some high-frequency noise undetectable by human ears but is supposed to drive spiders crazy. No idea if it works or not but I haven't seen a spider in her house ever.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Actually now that you linked that it's more likely it used electric pulses, considering she had 2 cats.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Rub a cut potato on it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yesterday at 5 AM I got a text from a random number telling me they're giving away $1000 best buy gift cards. I dismissed it as extremely annoying spam but I got another one again today. What can I do to avoid this garbage?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Do you want to know about camping specifically at Yellowstone or camping preparations in general? Are they going to have, say, an RV or just a tent with a campfire?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Giant Squid posted:

Is there a thread on the forums about how to save money by cooking good, inexpensive meals for a single person?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I installed Chrome but every time I try to run it the icon on my taskbar lights up but then it goes back to it's normal 'pinned but not running' state, what gives?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Assume an intersection like this:

Who has right of way, if the blue car arrived at the intersection first?

After having an almost-accident at this intersection right by my apartment I've started just yielding right of way to the pink car, even if I was there first, which has led to some frustrating standoffs. I don't want to get in an accident but I also don't want to be That rear end in a top hat.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Coffee Wolf posted:

Here in CT it's

That last one is a good idea for sure.

The catch here is that it's not a 4 way stop, making your 2nd bolded point not apply. It's actually a very busy intersection too, meaning that if you get a chance to go you loving go because you won't have another for a couple minutes.

Getting a lot of conflicting opinions here. General consensus is that car Blue should go if he gets there first. I think I'll keep the turn straighter so I'll at least not be in front of car Pink if he decides to try his luck anyway.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You should dump that regardless because standing water is where the worst types of mosquitoes come from.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Assuming a flat horizon in all directions roughly how much of the sky can I see? (How far is the horizon, and past that how far can I see the clouds beyond it?)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry I was so vague. Noni has sort of the concept I was going for. And yes by 'flat horizon' I mean no change in elevation from my point to the horizon.

Now let's say I wanted to know how far away a cloud I saw right on the horizon was. I know clouds vary in height so assume it's edge is 10,000 feet in the air. Would it be possible to estimate roughly how far away it is? A bad picture for reference, where Noni's measurement is the pink line and the one I'm looking for is the green...

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Small questions for Americans, when I watch American talk shows like Jon Stewart, Colbert, Chelsea Lately etc, I notice they are broken up into 4 sections:
Section 1 - Ad break - Section 2 - Ad break - Section 3 - Ad break - 5 second bit where the host says good bye and the credits roll.

Do people actually watch the last bit? Why does it exist? In all of the shows I mentioned and I'm sure other ones it offers no factual or entertainment value. Is this some weird American tradition where you can't change the channel until the host as said goodnight to you? It really annoys me.

I'm guessing its just an excuse to cram more ads in but the real question is do you actually stick around the watch the last bit and if so, why?

I believe I read somewhere that that 5 second bit actually increases retention of viewers. Instead of ending the show and cutting to commercial, they have a commercial break, then end the show and go directly to the opening of the next show, and that keeps more people watching.

My question: I remember hearing somewhere that some major tech business lets their employees have an hour each day to work on independent projects and that this is key to their success. I think it might have been Intel or Apple but I can't remember with 100% certainty who it was, so who was it?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Namarrgon posted:

I heard this question in a history podcast and I've been wondering the same thing as the lecturer;

In the age of exploration you often hear that crews starve or near-starve. Why don't they fish?

My guess would be the lack of much fish near the surface in the open ocean? Or is it always simply implied that they do but without enough succes?

Or maybe because you need a fire to cook the fish. Still I would imagine a desperate crew risking that instead of starving.

I'm gonna go with either a straight lack of fish or 'near-starve' misinterpreted as malnutrition. You would need a lot of fish to feed a whole ship crew constantly, and even if you had all the fish you could eat you'd not get the nutrients you need; and I'm sure any area of ocean not near the bed would be quite sparse anyway. I wasn't able to find any statistics about population density of fish in the ocean but while looking I did find out that the large fish population of the ocean has been fished down to 10% of what it normally is :smith:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Travakian posted:

My voicemail system (among seemingly many other automated phone systems) has a push-[whatever]-to-end-session prompt. Why?

Because otherwise the less technologically apt user would be very annoyed, listening to the robot forever, wondering when/if it is okay to end the call.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I knew it would happen one day:

I was going to download a TortoiseSVN update and I wasn't paying attention and accidentally downloaded and ran one of their advertisement installers (specifically something called Zoom Downloader). This little fucker wouldn't abort the install no matter how many times I clicked cancel on the installer steps.

Damage report so far is changing all my browser homepages and default search engines, and installing some stupid toolbar on everything. I've taken care of these but is there some way to undo the damage or check for any other crap that got messed up?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Have you run the uninstaller? They provide a stand alone un-installer on their website if the standard add/remove programs doesn't work.

http://zoomdownloader.com/Home/Support

This isn't a typical nefarious drive-by spyware installation, it's a legit company and they have to provide uninstall tools to stay within legal guidelines.

I did, but while they may be legit the program also comes with some other things that definitely aren't part of the install, because they were still there after I uninstalled (one being that toolbar I mentioned). There also wasn't any options to not install them and I did not agree to have my homepage and search changed which raises a big flag.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If it smells fine it is fine. You will know when meat has gone bad.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What flavor is the Oriental flavor of Maruchan Ramen supposed to be? These things, specifically:

I think they're supposed to be shoyu flavor, but I've heard everything from miso to beef and chicken to pure MSG. I've had miso and it definitely does not taste like miso, so that can't be it. Does anyone know for sure?

I've always thought this flavor tasted like soy sauce.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

A light in the middle of the train flashes. A man on the train sees this. The light takes ~1.33 (=4/3) seconds to reach the front and rear of the train - it travels at 300,000 m/s, and has 400,000 meters in each direction to travel. The gun at the front of the train fires instantly, destroying the photosensor at the rear of the train. The gun at the rear of the train never fires.

Isn't the observation of the man on the train irrelevant, much like how we can see starlight but the star might already be burned out? If the train was potentially moving faster than the speed of light, the man would not even see the flash.

Also, if the speed of light is constant, isn't the 1.33 second measurement inaccurate? The man would "observe" the light moving faster towards the back and slower towards the front, since the back is approaching the original emission point and the front is moving away. The light's movement in any direction isn't affected by the train's movement, correct?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

They wouldn't see the same thing because while the light is traveling the men are being moved different distances away from the sensor. When the light hits the back, station-man would be 1/4 the train length from the back sensor and 3/4 the length from the front. Train-man "sees" the light hit the back sensor at the same time as the front, but only because it takes the visible result of both the same amount of time to travel to the sensor and back to him. The moral of the story is that all perception is faulty. We can see stars that have burned out, and can't see ones that have just formed.

There has to be a better thread for this though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bonus Round! (The fries that spill into the bag)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The pizza one blew my mind as a kid. Pizza..cold? And it works!?

The basic cracker/meat/cheese ones are actually really convenient for breakfast when you can't be assed to even make a bowl of cereal.

But yeah, kids food. I wouldn't prefer eating one in public.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I just got a package from China. It was one of those wristbands that supposedly improve your athletic performance. The thing is that I never actually ordered this thing, nor did I order anything at all from China. Has this happened to anyone else? Why would some random Chinese person send this to me?

Probably the real address got mangled somewhere along the purchasing process. Keep it, anyone who buys one of these probably couldn't spell out their correct address anyway.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ineptmule posted:

I'm producing a brochure at work, and when I convert it to PDF all of the l's and i's come out really heavy on the screen, like twice the thickness they should be.

When I print from the pdf it looks fine... But we'll distribute the document digitally as well. What is going on and how can I fix it?

Are you sure this isn't a zoom problem? If the zoom level is just right some letters can be distorted.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yep tell the truth. If the employer cares that you were caught speeding and that is the dealbreaker instead of your skills/experience/etc., is that a place you really want to work?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Affi posted:

Am I stupid or will this work?

Cigarette smoke smells way different from food smoke. Your best best is to both clean the crap out of every surface AND try to disguise the normal smoke smell with other smoke smell.

Either that or you could actually do the smart thing and just tell him what happened. This is much less likely to backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

stratdax posted:

I'm out of contact lens solution and I won't be able to get any more for about 3 months. However, I want to wear my contacts every day for about 12 hours a day until then. I've checked around and most websites say Saline Solution can be an alternative, which makes sense, but they only talk about as a temporary stop-gap, and not long term use. Are there any issues or concerns with using Saline for 3 months as contact lens solution? My contacts are just the regular soft contact Acuvue Oasis lenses.

Not an answer but why can't you get any more? There should be some available at any grocery store.