Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Reason posted:

This is about those cards you get from coffee shops, or bagel shops or sandwich shops where they punch a hole, specifically Noah's Bagels. Its pretty easy to stamp these yourself right? What keeps people from doing it besides "honesty"?

Some rely on honesty, but others use a specialized punch, like a star shape or something, to make it harder to copy at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

What is the actual term for top-down learning? I mean taking a large completed project and deconstructing it to learn how the elements work together, like taking an engine apart to see how it works. The opposite would be learning elementary concepts and slowly learning to put them together.

Reverse engineering?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there something I can download (for Mac OSX) that displays the download/upload rate for my current internet connection?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Affi posted:

I need some time to play mah videogames, therefore I need to get rid of my girl. Tell me what TV series I should get her hooked on. She already watches quite a few, including Desperate Housewives, Cougar Town, Fringe, Gossip Girl and a host of ER like shows.

Community.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

If I put a Nerf gun in my checked baggage, do I have to declare it? It's obvious to anyone holding it that it's a toy, but I guess it could appear threatening through a scanner or something.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Avocadoes posted:

Is there way to individually block certain people on Facebook IM? I don't want to list myself as offline completely and miss talking to other friends. I'm 100% ok with this person being my friend, and commenting on my posts or whatever, but I really don't feel like talking to this guy over IM.

You can create different lists of people in chat and then turn on/off each list individually.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Quick question, Is it possible to use a standard credit/debit card to pay for purchases through Paypal, or does the money have to be transferred directly into the Paypal account? I'm looking to pick up a few things on Ebay and SA-Mart but it would be kind of annoying to transfer money to Paypal every time.

I linked my debit card's checking account to Paypal, so every time that I pay using Paypal it's the equivalent of using my debit card.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Spermando posted:

I'm looking for a gaming website that had a stark black and white design. The reviews they uploaded were long-winded rants about nothing in particular. Does anyone remember that place?

http://www.actionbutton.net/

?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there a good guide/resource for starting a bonfire? My friends and I want to have a bonfire on the beach and we're not really sure what supplies we need/how much everything would cost/how to start the actual fire/etc.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

This is such a weird post for me to read since bonfire have been a big part of my life as far back as I can remember.

Anyway, gather a shitload of decent sized logs, and cut them down to two foot long sections. Get another shitload of smaller branches/limbs and cut them down to 8"-10" lengths. Get a quarter gallon of diesel fuel.

Dig a pit on the beach about 8"-12" deep, and fill it with the smaller wood. Take the larger logs and build a TeePee over the smaller wood until its covered sufficiently. Don't use all of it, as you'll need to reserve some to keep the fire going.

Take the diesel fuel and try to cover the smaller wood with it as much as possible. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Find a branch that's about 5' long with a lot of dead foliage. Set it on fire and push it into the smaller wood in the center of the TeePee.

It should ignite with a whoosh.

This is the way me and my friends have always done this and we've never had any accidents or close calls.

Great, thank you!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there a standard format for rap lyrics?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

What do you mean by format?

I mean like a particular number of lines or verses.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there a goon-approved website for designing and sending out surveys?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

If I have this laptop:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-15-F512DA/

And I need to get a second charger, will this work:

https://store.asus.com/us/item/202001AM040000010/adapters-ASUS-45W-%2F-4PHI-Power-Adapter

I can see that the model number matches, but when I look on my computer it says the full model number is: X512DA_F512DA and I didn't know if that was important. I only see the first part of the number on the charger page.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

like a week ago, I paid my car payment like normal, from the same checking account I always use.

The loan website shows the payment as having gone through, and I got a confirmation. But the money is still in my checking account.

Is this a thing where I should call the bank? I'm not losing sleep over them not getting the money immediately but if they're going to figure this out eventually I'd like to just get it over with.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

That happened to me with my car down payment a few years back. Give it another few days.

thank you!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

along with ComicCon photos, you’ll also see a lot of celeb photos from when they visit military bases, because those pictures are taken by military photographers and in the public domain.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I bought a baseball cap for the first time in a while this week. It’s a fitted hat with a flat brim. But the brim is tilted as an angle, so that you can see the underside now.

My question is, is this normal for flat brimmed caps these days, or is it something weird with the one I bought? I have some similar caps from years past and none of the brims are at an angle.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Trickortreat posted:

Is there a resource to figure out what all the emojis mean when they're sent in Slack? I'm confused by the people using 🙌 all the time, and I don't want to send out any inappropriate emojis like peach or eggplant. Maybe something that expands on https://slack.com/blog/productivity/some-of-the-ways-we-use-emoji-at-slack.

https://emojipedia.org/raising-hands/

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

they didn’t want to call the second Xbox the Xbox 2 when it was up against the PlayStation 3, etc

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

In other languages, do schools use the name of their native language as a synonym for language arts/composition classes?

As in, would French speakers learn how to write well in a class called French? Or is that something specific to the Anglosphere?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BonHair posted:

Danish schools have Danish classes for reading, writing, language and literature, yeah.

Cool thanks!

Ras Het posted:

in Finland it's äidinkieli, "mother language"

Thank you too!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there an easy/non-sketchy way to get an MP3 from a YouTube video?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Delphisage posted:

If I want to get reprimanded for my posting habits and told what to unlearn, is there an ideal thread in this subforum for it?

I guess you could make a thread in e/n.

Real talk, just don’t post about yourself in a normal thread. Don’t post about people disliking you. Don’t post about your reactions to other threads. Just keep it focused on games or anime or whatever.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to lend my PS4 to a friend so they can play Stray. This is simply a matter of physically lending it to them, right? They won't turn it on and connect it to their network to find that they've got to input my account password to access my games?

as long as you don't have any other PS4s, you should be good. everything is fine if it's your primary console

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Delphisage posted:

If I make it too specific, I'll get probed for exporting drama, won't I?

Or is asking this at all exporting drama? I'll withdraw my ask, then.

You can post in the drama/saga thread, it accepts drama imports

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

What's a good way of finding new music other than pop?

I keep hearing the odd electronic or metal or hip-hop song in a resposted tweet or tiktok or whatever and thinking "hey this is actually really good". There's got to be a better way to find this stuff than the occasional meme though!

If you’re on Spotify you can type in whatever genre name and it will come up with playlists to browse

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

the plural possessive of " pariah " is " pariahs' ", right?

no, it’s moderators

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

easy loophole, buy all the beneficiaries an account :getin:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

in Thailand they take respecting their monarchy very seriously.

anecdotally, I've seen plenty of framed portraits of the king in Thai restaurants in the United States.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

This is going to end so poorly for you, in so many ways that I hope you chronologue the entirety of this journey.

this should be printed on the soda cans :D

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Blood Nightmaster posted:

If there's one in your town, the closest local library or even community center is likely able to do all this for free/an absurdly low cost by comparison and with less hassle. I guess your results may vary though depending on how rural your area is

I worked at a library system in a big urban area. I’m pretty sure scanning was always free, and we charged like a quarter to print a page.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

when did everyone start using 'cop' meaning to buy/get? two months ago, had never seen it. now, it's on like every page of some threads.

I feel like nom epique is patient zero, in the SA context.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BonHair posted:

Definitely a stupid question: do y'all delete emails after reading them? My wife will delete emails when she's done with them, which to me is total sicko behaviour, as I have never deleted an email. But I don't actually know if I'm the sicko. So, what's your email retention policies for personal email accounts?

For work and personal email, I generally follow a similar policy where if it's something that I need to respond to, take care of, a project to complete, or whatever, it will sit in my inbox, so I can't forget it. For personal, that's typically a package I'm tracking or something like that.

If it's something like an actual conversation, I archive it when it's done. If it's a receipt, package tracking, airline info, I delete it instead. I do find it satisfying to go back through my archive and clean things up every year or so.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CyprianLatewood posted:

If you're interested in becoming a bodybuilder then you should optimize your workout, if you're just interested in being healthy then any activity that raises your heart rate is going to be helpful. The longer and more that you do it the better, so if you pick something you enjoy it'll do you the most good.

Cycling outdoors isn't the safest thing if you live in most of North America though, I dunno if I'd recommend it as a general matter of health. Depends where you live.

fap for five hours a day, got it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Where would I go, on these great forums of ours, for game recommendations?

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

play the Nier games, op.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I would say it’s less about pissing off the religion or clergy, and more about potentially offending some coworker or in-law or whoever that was Catholic or even another denomination and you didn’t realize it.

Of course, there are some countries/cities where that’s statistically super unlikely to occur, so ymmv. Depends if worth the risk?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

good list of examples: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndStarring

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Earwicker posted:

why worry at all when instead of worrying you can simply not use rinse aids?

alternatively you could simply accept that you live in a world of toxic household products that will one day slowly kill you, realize the inevitability of death and use any of them that you want, and stop worrying about it that way too

Because telling people “just don’t get aids” hasn’t historically worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

because they both use the word "aids", op