Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Which dystopian film(s) feature confessional booths that are monitored by the authorities? The one I'm thinking of has a computerized religious sounding voice that says soothing crap to the confessing person.
I thought it might be Logan's Run, but it could also be THX1138, or The Island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Neofelis posted:

Hey, would anyone happen to know or have an educated guess about the country in this photo?

I'd need to know it for a competition (and using any means possible is alright so I'm not breaking the rules). Also, that means there's six and a half hours left to find the answer.

There's really no more clues than what is in the photo, except possibly the fact that it was named street-view.jpg. That makes me think it's probably one of the countries that's in Google Street View, but it's entirely possible it's not. I have a hunch for the country, but I'm sort of hoping there's a local goon that could even link the place for confirmation.

I think most cattle in India are Zebu - they have a hump. I might be wrong.

The trees look pretty warm-weather to me. I'd say they at least live in a seldom-or-never-frost climate.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Say a mutual fund says "Initial investment: $500. Subsequent investment: $50." (This is on etrade, if it makes a difference)
I get that my first purchase has to be at least $500. But does the subsequent mean I have to put in $50 more every...year? Or what? And what happens if I don't?

And if I tell etrade to automatically keep gains within the mutual fund, and the fund makes $50 in a year, does that count as the $50? Or do I need to put in an external $50?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Can you link to the specific prospectus/account details? It sounds to me like any reinvestment would have to be at least $50, though you would not be obligated to do so. I think that obviates your second question too. (PS use Vanguard)

Parnassus Fund
What is better about vanguard? I'll consider switching. I'm really just doing a long-term IRA, though, so there will not be a ton of transactions.

And before anyone comments on the kinda high expense ratio of that fund, a disclaimer: I am limiting myself to "socially responsible" investing because for social reasons I reluctant about investing at all in the first place, and yes those funds have a higher expense ratio usually and don't do awesomely but that's what I want to do. People on the business/finance forum have already tried to convince me otherwise.

Anyway thanks for helping, it's surprisingly hard to find help on really simple questions to these kinds of things. Everything I read assumes you know the first thing about investing and at least some of the acronyms.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Yesterday I was hiking through the forest when I found an odd-looking plant. It looked almost identical to asparagus except it was a deep reddish pink color, with yellow leaf-type things up the stalk, and a yellow tip. It was also really sticky with white fuzz all over it. There were three stalks sticking up out of the ground.

Anyone have any clue what it might be? Google hasn't given me any answers.

Japanese Knotweed is the foremost plant that comes to mind as being similar to asparagus when it's a young shoot (also edible). Its stem is pretty reddish too. But yellow leaves, white fuzz, and sticky don't ring any bells.
what region are you in?

P.S. If it was knotweed, kill it, break its legs! That stuff is mega invasive.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks for both answers about mutual funds. That makes a lot more sense. And when I have time, I'll look into switching to Vanguard, I like that they're client-owned.

stubblyhead posted:

Can I ask why you decided on this fund? You said you wanted to invest in socially responsible companies, but I don't see anything in their prospectus saying that's what they're about. They seem to be more focused on getting a good deal on undervalued stocks than anything.

It's one of several I'm looking at, and of them, it's the least obvious about its social goals (most others have something in their name about it). But if you dig in their general prospectus, they say their entire company philosophy is socially responsible investing, and they screen all companies for ethical practices, "good corporate governance," environmental responsibility, and do not invest in weapons/military contractors, tobacco, etc. Mostly the same bag as other socially responsible mutuals/ETFs. I think it's kind of strange they don't make a bigger deal out of it, but it says so in their prospectus, so... okay?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dudebro posted:

What's the endgame (or point) of economic growth? Increasing profits every year, etc. To what end is this mentality working towards in terms of the future of the human race? I'm watching this documentary on the tar sands (H2Oil) and I'm wondering what the point of this huge excavation is. Yeah, we get oil out of it and money as a result, but then what? I hear that a lot, economic growth this and that as if growth for the economy equals positive growth for every other aspect of life. I mean if you're a company that sells more widgets than any other company, it doesn't seem that important in the big picture of things.

Hmm, I didn't want to come off all pseudo-philosophical there, but it's those kinds of questions that always racks my mind. It all seems like a pointless game we're playing where no one can stop because there are too many participants now and way too much momentum.

This is neither a stupid nor a small question.
Other guy had some important points about feeding and caring for an ever-growing population, and let me echo what he mentioned about some people thinking it is utterly unsustainable and we're going to gently caress ourselves if we don't change what we value.
But I want to throw in that the level at which we strive for "growth" is pretty extreme, and at least in the developed(consumerist) world with its stagnant/waning population, based as much on "success = rich = buy TVs and cars" than on "we need to employ and feed everyone."

In a related note on discourse, it seems crazy to me how people don't talk about "this business is doing just fine, but not growing" (which would make sense to me), but rather "this business is doing poorly because it's not growing fast enough." Apart from the "What's with growth?" question, I want to ask: what's with this discourse? Is that kind of talk aimed towards investors, who indeed would be upset if the company weren't growing? Is there anything wrong with operating a business that is doing just fine?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have an investing question so basic, I am having trouble finding a basic enough answer online. So someone help me please!

Say the ask price of a stock is listed as
ask (size)
$2 (12,000)

Does the size mean that people out there are selling 12k shares, so (supposing I was the only buyer) I could buy up to 12k but no more?
or
Does it mean that the minimum order is 12k (eek!) shares?

In other words: as stupid as it would be, could I buy, like, 1 share, or 20, or 30, or something less than thousands?

edit: Also, this may take us into "go ask business/finance" territory, but... until now I've invested only in mutual funds. I'm going to try to just trade one or two little stocks as an educational experience. Is there anything enormously different about trading stocks, besides that they're more risky and you can only trade in multiples of the share price?

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

Does anyone know an opposite word for posthumously?

"During his lifetime" or "before his death" are more concise than your phrase, but that's the best I got :/

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 7, 2011

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hayden. posted:

I could be wrong but feel pretty confident based on my textbook knowledge of the topic that I'm not. :words:

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone know what's the deal with radio DJs in Brasil (and possibly other latin america places) always interrupting the music, seemingly without any regard for rhythm, and saying random crap? Seriously, they cut the music levels for half a second and just say stuff, many times throughout a song. I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of stuff are they saying? My portuguese was fine for conversing when I was there, but I couldn't understand the wacky DJ guys.

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

Anyone have a good suggestion for an area rug/floor rug I could put in my new bedroom that has hardwood floors? It's a pretty standard sized bedrom; I'm just used to having carpet and would like to cover a good portion of the floor space. Any suggestions are great although I would love to use Amazon if possible. Thanks!

randyest may have flown off the ol' handle, but we really can't help you without measurements, and even then, you might as well just find it yourself since it depends on your tastes.

Things to consider are: do you want it fluffy and comfy, but hard to clean? Or tight and hard, but easier? Also consider pre-treatments for stain guarding. Finally, I highly recommend a porous rubber thing underneath it to keep it from slipping. Many rugs may come with this.

If you lack a measuring tape, pace it out in your own feet and measure your foot. Seriously, I do this a lot, and knowing your own foot's length is really handy. Cubit and handspan are useful too.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sorry, I've been away for a few days so this stuff is from bottom of pg 325. Since it's old, I'll repeat my original question:

alnilam posted:

Does anyone know what's the deal with radio DJs in Brasil (and possibly other latin america places) always interrupting the music, seemingly without any regard for rhythm, and saying random crap? Seriously, they cut the music levels for half a second and just say stuff, many times throughout a song. I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of stuff are they saying? My portuguese was fine for conversing when I was there, but I couldn't understand the wacky DJ guys.

Reponse:

john mayer posted:

I've never heard this before on a brazilian station, but if you can find an example I'll tell you what they're saying. I know sometimes when I'm listening to mexican radio and it's some ~zany~ dj's show, they'll cut into it to say stupid stuff about contests or comment on how awesome the music is. That's hardly ever though.

(another user also said he heard similar things in the argentinian dancing with the stars.)

Can't provide any examples, and google searching has been fruitless. I had suspected it was about "boy this song is awesome" or something, but not sure.

If it helps, I was in various parts of Pará at the time. Maybe they don't do it wherever you were hearing stations?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Related to Fun With ChexTM
You know that squiggly line you're supposed to put in the amount line? Like,
One hundred twenty and 00/100 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ dollars

My friend was making a joke about that, like what if you forgot that squiggle and the recipient took advantage:
One hundred twenty and 00/100 and one million dollars

My point is, what's really the point of the squiggle? I really doubt any banker would cash a check with a weirdly laid out number like that, especially if it didn't match up with the numeric part. Or would they?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I got some new boots that are my "one shoe to rule them all" and I decided to care really well for them. My previous boots were amazing and lasted like 10 years so I want these to do the same.

The salesdude said something about a good way to remove salt from the (leather and goretex) boot, said it would pull the salt right out. I think it was using a vinegar/water solution, same stuff you clean your house with. But I'm not sure. Can anyone verify this? I don't want it to turn out that vinegar fucks up leather or something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This question is about the recent (2007) MS Office switch to Calibri/Cambria. I used to be upset/confused that they were using a sans-serif font for body text, but then I saw this - interesting!

Wikipedia posted:

In print, sans-serif fonts are used for headlines rather than for body text. The conventional wisdom holds that serifs help guide the eye along the lines in large blocks of text. Sans-serifs, however, have acquired considerable acceptance for body text in Europe.

Sans-serif fonts have become the de facto standard for body text on-screen, especially online. This is partly because interlaced displays may show twittering on the fine details of the horizontal serifs. Additionally, the low resolution of digital displays in general can make fine details like serifs disappear or appear too large.
So I guess their thought is, folks don't print stuff no more, so why not adapt for screen use and use sans-serif for body. Okay, I'll accept it.

So my ongoing question (rant?) is this: Why did they abandon super-established the fonts Arial and Times for these fonts? Every computer ever has arial. Why not use arial.
I'm not under the illusion that microsoft ever gives a gently caress about backwards/universal compatibility, but, well, shouldn't they consider other computers possibly not having these new (and IMO kinda crappy) fonts?

Side-question: when the hell did helvetica stop shipping with windows?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Two-parter, all regarding online (RSS) news sources. I couldn't find a thread on "where do you read your news" or on "google account interface stuff."

One:
I currently read the "Reuters Top News" RSS feed (edit: it's http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/topNews), and I find that it's pretty good about avoiding stupid celebrity news. The downside that's making me reconsider is that about 30-50% of its headlines are financial news, which I don't care as much about. The non-financial coverage is really great though, and its posting rate (~25/day) is very manageable.
Can anyone recommend a news RSS that is mostly global (a bit of US centrism is okay), avoids stupid crap, and doesn't spend more than 10% of its time on stock/market news?

Two, which might possibly answer one:
I've heard google news is pretty good about letting you customize what you do and don't care to see. Problem is, I like to have gmail in other languages for practice, and that causes google to put google news stories in e.g. spanish, all from spanish sources. It'd be okay if the news interface were in spanish, but I want the news itself to be english. I can't find a preference anywhere to limit the language preference to the interface only. Any tips?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 31, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/miscellaneous/e797/?pfm=homepage_Featured_3_e797

Anyone have any experience with capacitative gloves like this? Was thinking of getting them for a friend's birthday but some of the reviews said they don't keep your hands very warm. Anyone have any other recommendations?

If you can do the most basic sewing ever (like, sewing 5 or 6 loops), and can get some special thread, you can make any glove work, apparently:
http://lifehacker.com/5412625/make-any-pair-of-gloves-work-with-a-touchscreen

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

reflir posted:

Why do the belts on an escalator go faster than the stairs?

The belt is longer than the stair loop, so in a linear sense, it has to travel faster in order to travel the same distance around the loop, in sync. However, it still completes the same number of cycles per minute as the stairs.
Or at least that's my inference.

reflir posted:

If high radioactivity means low halflife, why do we have to store nuclear waste far away from civilization for millions of years?

I think it's because high-radioactivity stuff first decays to low-radioactivity stuff before it finally decays to non-radioactive stuff.
Also maybe the thing about the equipment, but I'm curious to know if that's really true: I thought that if you irradiated something inert, that thing remained inert afterwards. So for example, if I were exposed to nasty radiation and got really hosed up, I still wouldn't be emitting dangerous radiation myself.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When a bee is bee-ing really persistent about wanting to buzz around me (and I'm clearly not near the hive and it's one non-aggressive bee), what the hell does it want? Are they trying to figure out whether or not I'm a flower? It seems a little ridiculous to me that they wouldn't be better at figuring out if something is a flower.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

What kind of bee is it? Honey bee? Bumble bee? Other? What colors/scents are you wearing? Did you disturb it while feeding (e.g. walk through a patch of flowers with a bee on it)?

I have no experience with honey bees et al. but bumble bees will fly circles around you when you disturb them while they are foraging. I'm not sure exactly why they do this, but based on what I know about their behavior I can assure you that it's not aggressive. Bumble bees forage consistently in traplines (circuits) and having a person several hundred times their size stand in the way after being bumped off of a patch of flowers could mess up their heading. The bees are probably just trying to regain their bearings because you suddenly become a gigantic obstruction in their line of sight to their usual landmarks.

My supervisor has a lot of experience with bumble bee behavior and one of my committee members is a melittologist. If I remember I'll ask one of them the next time I see them.

Interesting. But sometimes bees even follow me when I try to walk away from them. Maybe I interrupt their foraging patterns, and then I become their new landmark until they manage to figure out their bearings again?
I think a lot of the time it's a...yellow jacket? (the bee, not the clothes) It's sleek and skinny and yellow, but not as fuzzy and plump as a honeybee and certainly not a fatass bumblebee.
I've thought about the clothing colour before, and I haven't noticed a pattern. I usually wear earth-tone clothes, and I've definitely had this happen while wearing dark colours.

Edit:

lemoz posted:

Hay I need some help.
The build up:
I go to parties and have no problem getting hooking up with women and or getting laid. I have hooked up with at least one different girl every week end for the past 3-4 months.
The problem:
I can not seem to convince a girl to go out with me. Not a single girl I have talked with wants to go out with me and I don't ask women who i have hooked up with at parties.

wtf is wrong with me on one way I can talk my way in to girls pants but on the other hand i cant convince them to get free food with me?

I think this is a more common problem than you think.

I'd guess that in some way, you are different at a party than at a, um, food, or wherever you meet dating-hopefuls. Maybe you're more comfortable with yourself in flirting because you're at a party, and maybe the girls you flirt with are in a receptive mood because they're at a party, and honestly maybe you should ask one of those girls out on further dates (I'm with the other guy who asked, why don't you?). You could get her number after hooking up, or before, or even get her number at the end of a good night's flirting, and proceed to not hook up, but instead call her later and go out sometime.

If your answer to "why don't you ask them out" is that they don't seem your type for dating but they do seem your type for hooking up, then:
Maybe "your type" for dating is harder to meet or harder to talk to than "your type" for smoochin. In this case I guess just keep trying.
Maybe it's still about you being "in your element" at a party, and so you should find a different kind of party that contains the kind of girls you'd want to date. Find your "scene."

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 1, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

This is the description of a yellow jacket which is a species of colonial wasp. If that's the case then the behavior was probably aggressive and it's telling you to gently caress off.

Dark colors are easier to see to hymenopteran insects. They're also attracted to blues and yellows.

Cool.
Bees are loving interesting. I wish I weren't terrified of them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do vets have a clinical way to test for scabies (a.k.a. mange) on cats, or will they just make the same appraisal that we've made, which is "if it's not X Y or Z, it sounds like it might be scabies, in which case you should do X."
My situation is, the cat has these spots where she keeps gnawing her fur off. we know it's not fleas or ticks. We have reason to believe it's not a food or litter allergy, since we've dealt with that before. We have reason to suspect it may be scabies (we've seen what might be burrows in the itchy spots; the fact that she's itching in a few localized spots and not all over like with fleas, which are more mobile). Will going to the $50 vet help, or will she just tell us what we already suspect and recommend some skin cream we could have gotten on our own?

Besesoth posted:

Nobody's talking about the soap, dude, we're talking about washing your dishes with a filthy sponge, which is like bathing with used toilet paper.
(and other dish-washing people)

The point of washing your dishes is to remove grease, same with your hands.

Antibacterial soap doesn't mean poo poo unless you're washing something porous that had raw meat on it. The point of soap is to get off gunk. Soap molecules surround gunk and allow it to be carried away.
Pathogens live in little (sometimes undetectable) spots of gunk. The point of cleaning is to remove that gunk. Then, once it dries, they have nowhere to live on the plate.
So the keys to cleaning are soap to loosen the gunk, and abrasion/physical force to remove it.

So considering that, I'd say that if a sponge that is so filthy that it can't carry gunk away / imparts more gunk, then yes, clean it. If a sponge smells gross and bacterial, but it can still remove gunk, don't worry about it, just don't ingest the sponge water directly.

Several studies (don't feel like looking them up) have verified that hot water does not really affect the bacteria removal of hand washing - it just makes it more comfortable, encouraging people to take their time rubbing their hands around with soap.
Hot water does, however, affect dishes to a point: the heat reduces the viscosity of oily stuff, helping it to come off more easily.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What is this snake oil?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/14/spray_antennas/

Does that mean I'll be able to get antennas for my WiFi router with a bigger range? I don't see how spraying "nano-capacitors" on antennas is going to make a lick of difference. It seems like this would be huge news if it really worked.

Antenna design is really weird, almost as much art as science (of course it's all determined by science, but the design itself is hard to be deterministic about). People are still finding out new stuff like, if you put X evenly spaced radial wires underneath instead of Y of them, it'll project more outward than upward by Z percent.

Capacitance and inductance has a lot to do with radio signal resonance. Surrounding an antenna with nanocapacitors, it's not impossible that it would help. But it wouldn't seem to me that spraying nanocaps, with no regard to where, how, or what capacitance, would improve every antenna ever by 100x. It may be engineered to work for certain bandwidths, that'd be a little more believable.

Unless there are more details out there than what I've read, I wouldn't get super excited about it yet - it's likely to be much more niche application than the PR is spinning it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking for opportunities in what people call "voluntourism." Basically it's travelling somewhere cool and getting a free stay (and maybe other things) for doing some volunteer work of some kind. And plus you get a bonus "good feeling" :jerkbag:

Does anyone know any good resources? Is there a thread on this topic in particular? I didn't find any obvious ones.

In case it matters, I'm as interested in the volunteering task as I am in the location. I'd like to do something I care about.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm searching for a word that means something like, being acoustically aesthetic/pleasurable, with reference to words.
As in, when a poem or a particular phrase has a very appealing sound to it, independent of its meaning/semantics.
Alliteration, consonance, assonance, and sibilance are all perhaps sub-examples of this idea, but is there a general term for the quality of a phrase sounding really pretty?

edit: And a related (or perhaps the same) question: Is there a word for poetry that contains the sounds of what it's describing? For example, schtzngrmm, a german poem meant to imitate the sounds of a battle, or the lines
Tik, tak, hic, hac, tiket, taket, tik, tak,
Lus, bus, las, das
in The Blacksmiths

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 20, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

Mellifluous?
Sounds right, thanks!

greazeball posted:

Onomatopoeia

Yeah I guess that's correct... I was stuck in a mode of thinking of onomatopoeia as "woof" "quack" etc., forgot it applied here. Thanks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking for resources on, erm, death statistics :drac: due to various types of nasty events in transportation. Car crashes and bike crashes. If I'm lucky, stats on climbing/hiking would be nice too.

The background: my mom gives me crap about biking as my main mode of transportation, and also climbing/hiking (and I don't even do trad climbing, yeesh). I always tell her that she's one to talk given that she drives a car for at least an hour total every day. But she thinks they're totally incomparable in the levels of danger, because she lives in a world where everyone drives everywhere and doesn't give it much thought.

I know these sorts of statistics are to be taken with grains of salt, these things depend on your individual actions, etc. I just want to show her (from a source that is not me) that the amount of danger in driving vs biking is at least comparable. Basically if she thinks that she is nearly invincible driving a car, and that I am laughing death in the face every time I bike on a street, is there anything i can point to that might convince her otherwise?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dokmo posted:

I don't have time right now to help you, but I love this kind of stuff. Start with Google Scholar -- here, have a link

Thanks, that helps a lot

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

randyest posted:

Thanks! That's cool info and wow walking is more dangerous than cycling "per person trip" but what the heck is a "person trip" and why wouldn't the stats be per person-mile-traveled or something like that that's actually comparable? I know you just did a quick check, and I appreciate that (even though it's not even my question) but now I'm more curious to do an apples-to-apples (or miles-to-miles) comparison. Off to google scholar...

edit: Now I see the chart does not include the person-trip factor in each category yet so it doesn't show that walking is more dangerous than cycling. Still curious about fatalities per person-mile traveled for each mode of transportation.

I think maybe per person-mile is actually not as comparable because cars travel a ton more miles than people in a given time. But I see your point.

Although the main gist of their study seems to be the idea of "travel exposure," i.e. how much time you are "exposed" to the conditions of being e.g. a pedestrian. So in that case, maybe per [person]*[time travelling] would be a good measure? But maybe that's harder to get data on, since the data probably comes from people responding about how many trips they took by a given mode. So I think the authors of this study are only making inferences about the time-spent-travelling factor, based on some knowledge they might have of how long a typical trip in mode X is.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

In grade school I got put in a gifted program, and I remember one of the things they really hammered into us was the whole "right brain vs. left brain" thing, how the left brain was responsible for logical thinking and the right was creative. Many years later somebody told me that this was pretty much made-up, that there are parts of the brain that are used for specific kinds of thinking but the hemispheres as a whole were not specialized that way. Essentially, it was an analogy for explaining different kinds of thinking that somebody took literally.

Anyway, my kid just got accepted in a similar program, and they sent home a folder with their curriculum, and right on the first page it tells how they go into learning all the same left-brain/right-brain stuff I got in the early 80s and learning to categorize things by brain hemispheres is something they spend a lot of time on. I tried to find some information about how this isn't correct online for my wife but so far my searches haven't found anything debunking this, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I was mislead when I was told it wasn't true. Can anyone point me towards some good articles online about this?

EDIT: I decided to give up on Google and search just Wikipedia, and they had some good stuff about the lateralization of brain function and how pop psychology misunderstands it. Now I'm wondering why gifted programs are still teaching this to kids after 30 years.

I can't tell you how many times in school and gifted programs the teacher had everyone take tests to say that you're right/left brained, you're a visual/auditory/kinetic learner, you're a myers briggs ABCD type or whatever. It got really annoying, and it struck me as inappropriately reductionist before I even knew that word.

A pro, though: As you guys have been saying, it provides a context for discussing differences in how different people think, learn, behave, etc. I think in particular myers-briggs is kind of interesting to look at the different "categories" and use them as a tool for reflecting on how people are, but I still maintain that it is stupid to take a quiz that tells you what your type is.

Or is it? :crossarms:
What I've been thinking is, maybe educators long ago realized the pros of it (tools for reflecting on behavior/learning styles), but they couldn't get anyone to listen to them drone on about personality types unless they made you personally invested in it. For better or worse, taking a crappy quiz provides a structured way of giving each kid a starting point in how (and why) to think about this stuff; it de-abstracts it a bit.
Maybe. Or maybe the education system is still misguided and takes it too literally.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I keep getting messages from my iphone-having family that come as MMS and not SMS, and they're clearly all replying to all, and a chain of like 6 messages in a row will go by before I can even read the first on my regular ol' phone, in part because MMS takes longer to load/read.
So I think I've figured out that they're all sending "group messages" which is a thing on iphones. Can anyone verify this? And why the hell is it sent as MMS? Is it because it comes with extra data, namely the other recipients?

As an related ranty thing, is anyone else who has a regular phone really annoyed by how the way sms looks on the iphone encourages people to send messages as if it's an IM/gchat session? Do they realise how hard it is to read on a regular phone?
:v:Hey man whats knew
:v:new* lol
:v:anyway just wondering what's up

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, good to know.

Wagonburner posted:

I'm android (and bb/winmo at work) guy but I send texts like you're ranting about at the end, not group ones though, sorry bout that. I thought even the dumbphones did threaded messaging now.

Nope. Sorry if I wrote it in an accusing tone.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tarepanda posted:

Is it "their own ethnicity" or "the ethnicity they've grown up around?"

I grew up in a town that was easily 99% Caucasian and my family is Caucasian. I can tell white people apart easily, but Asians tended to blur together a lot and still do sometimes.

I think I learned about those studies long ago from a docu-show about the human face starring john cleese :confused: and I believe it's that you're good at identifying your own ethnicity, independent of the one you grew up around. There are some reasonable a-priori arguments for both ideas (the genetic one and the grew-up-around-them one).
They also did similar studies with sheep and sheep faces.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Farecoal posted:

What program can I use to make a business card on Windows?

You can technically make a business card in any run of the mill image editing program.
You'll get better, and more editable, results if you go for vector graphics. That means graphics that are defined by coordinates, lines, fills, etc., not by pixels, making them able to be scaled without getting pixely.
For example, when you draw shapes in powerpoint (vector graphics), the info stored is radius, position, line weight/color/type, fill, etc. When you make a circle in paint and save the file, it stores it as pixel-by-pixel info.

That's all sort of beside the point. The suggestions below are all vector-based and will do you fine.
MS Office:
Powerpoint will work fine. Publisher is slightly better if you have it. Find a way to convert/print the file to a pdf in the end - that is what business card printers will want.
Open office equivalents of the above are also fine.
Adobe illustrator is expensive and huge and overkill, but if you have it anyway at work or something, then why not.

I also really like inkscape, an open source analogue to illustrator. If you just want to make a business card, it might not be worth learning a whole new environment and you should just use ms office. But if you plan on doing other pretty graphics in the future, it's pretty sweet, free, and has lots of good documentation.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Multivitamins. Some of my friends have been bringing up stuff about "bad press" recently about multivitamins. I have a very strong feeling that it's a scientific study that was totally overblown by the press (if nothing else, think of how much media loves to lure you in with "something you do may be killing you :colbert:"). But my friends haven't been able to give me a lot of details.

My preliminary thought, even without knowing the details, is that some study came out that there's some slightly higher bad-thing rate in people who take multivitamins, and the media (and its audience) ignored/dis-emphasized the fact that it's a correlation and maybe there's a third, unseen cause, such as, I dunno, some people thinking that vitamin use gives them license to eat less healthily.

But that's my wild speculation! I need to see what people are talking about first. Any help?

john mayer posted:

Help me fill out my job application, goons. It's asking why I left my previous employer, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a good way to still include it without it looking terrible. I worked there for a couple years, and I ended up leaving because of the owners doing a bunch of illegal stuff and started a DoL dispute over it. I feel like if I write labor dispute in there, it looks a little crazy, but I still want to include it. ): I'm also clueless on how to answer questions about that position during an interview. I've never had to deal with working for lovely people before.

I get the impression that you don't want to totally leave out the dispute, which I think is fine, if you want to stand by what you did.
Still, I'd say a positive spin is a good idea, so say something like:
I really like this line of work, but I want to do it with a company with strong ethics and conviction about the business (like yours :smug:), and at the time I left, I felt my last employer was lacking in that department.

edit:

quote:

Laptop batteries
Different batteries have different degradation behaviours. I think Li+ ion cells degrade by (a) coarsening of the lithium compound (it becomes less porous), and (b) cracking of the graphite on the other electrode, into which the Li+ ions stick themselves. I think what that translates to is that it's better to cycle it more gently, i.e. keeping it between, say, 50 and 80%, instead of cycling between 20 and 100%. But I'm not sure! There are some batteries that are better to cycle fully, I just don't think Li+ ion is one of them. I'm just giving you some background info, someone here might know more certainly.

Leaving your battery totally out of the machine should not harm the battery whatsoever. Having a disconnected battery is effectively like putting it in a time stasis. That's not entirely true, but the amount of degradation that e.g. current leak (tiny bits of current that leak across while the cell is not in use), reactant crossover, and perhaps low-rate processes that happen within one electrode, is negligible compared to the degradation that happens when the battery is used for reals.
However, if your laptop has good battery management, it should know to have the current bypass the battery when it is fully charged anyway. That's my opinion as someone who knows batteries but not laptops, so maybe a laptop person can chime in here.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 7, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Cliche posted:

Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot, but good thing this is the idiot thread.

How does it make any difference what stereo is used beyond how much power it draws? Isn't all the sound going to be reliant on the speakers and amps connected to it, and the quality of the original recording? How does the stereo matter if it's just wires?

To my mind, this is equivalent to the "HDMI is a digital signal" canard that always comes out whenever Monster cables are discussed. I agree with that, I just don't see how the same reasoning doesn't apply when it comes to stereo systems.
I hope you're ready for some speculation. :eng101:
I thought the stereo was what contained the signal processing (amps, equalizer, etc.), but you mention amps being connected to the stereo so maybe I'm wrong.

But yeah, it's all about quality amplification and signal processing. Sure, you can use an op-amp and some resistors to amplify a boring DC signal, but it's going to have poo poo fidelity when you use it with a complicated, many-frequency signal like audio.
"Nice" stereos, I would presume, contain nice amplifiers.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Knightmare posted:

Do they know they're parking in a reserved spot? Is it permit only? Do you know how much you pay a month for that spot?

If the landlord isn't going to tow people then you need to start deducting your monthly payment to the landlord. People will stop parking in your spot if towing is enforced (hopefully there are signs).

Don't just start deducting the amount from your rent. This idea is a solid one but to execute it that way (suddenly and without notice) would be... unhelpful.

If your landlord is negligent and won't help you out of duty, he or she will listen to money. Give an ultimatum that you are going to deduct your payment for the parking spot, present and prior, as well as the cost that you've had to pay to park elsewhere (if any), if he or she doesn't take action immediately to post more obvious signage and enforce the spot.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there a name for when you hang some white/light-coloured canvas in front of, and slightly separated from, the sun-facing wall (or roof) of your house to keep your house cooler in the summer? I'm looking for implementation tips (e.g. how to design it to not go crazy on a windy day) but I'm not sure how to search.
It's considered a "green home improvement," a.k.a. a really obvious cheap trick to cool your house for nearly free.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm going down to a job interview later and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my suit pants and jacket since I'll be driving my motorcycle. Do you think it'll be terribly wrinkly if I carefully fold it in a backpack and haul it down on my rack, then like change in a fast food place bathroom? I'm hesitant to just wear a suit for a 45 minute ride because I'll probably get oil on it or something, but a couple minutes to the business I'm going to should be alright.

Is there any special way I can fold the thing so it won't get wrecked during the commute?

As an addendum for the future, is there like, special luggage you can use to transport suits that you can't hang from a hook in a garment bag? Ones that'll strap nicely to a motorcycle rack?

I've dealt with this before as even on business things, I always travel all grungy-like with a backpack, or with bike panniers. Sometimes my sleeves get the tiniest bit wrinkly but that's only when I'm careless.

Without a special bag, you can:
turn the blazer inside out, including sleeves
after that, pop the shoulders inside out, too
lay it down flat
fold it carefully as you would

There are special bags that are sort of like a garment bag, but they have rigid segments that basically holds a steady fold for you. Emulate this by just folding the piece over some segments of cardboard. Try to enclose the whole folded apparatus in something semi-rigid (more cardboard?), put it in a soft bag, and then strap that rigid thing down flat to the back of your bike. I'd avoid wearing them in a backpack too much - try to keep it horizontal.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Emmjay posted:

ggggaah, thanks JM but that is not the answer I wanted to hear. It's 1.30am here now so calling reinforcements is not an option. The unit is too big to move on my own and I can't see all the way under it to confirm that thing is dead. There's also a tonne of cabling, leads and a power board under there so spraying under there is out - plus spray made it charge! It's gonna be a long night...

Spiders are friendly guys! I know it can be hard to get over your fear, but 99% of the time, spiders should be a welcome guests. In fact, in some cultures, it's considered bad luck to kill a spider - this is one of those practical superstitions meant to scare kids into not killing spiders because they're so good to have around. They kill LOTS of bugs that actually want to bite you or your food. Spiders almost never ever bite humans, or even care that you exist.

When you sprayed it, it probably freaked the gently caress out and ran "away" from perceived danger (yes it ran towards it, but spiders don't know about aerosol spray). You were scared and interpreted that as a charge, which is a reasonable thing to think, but chances are the spider barely even knew you were there. Now it's probably dead. Even if it's not I'd say you should have no worry sleeping tonight, there's no such thing as a vindictive spider. Even small mammals don't have the mental capacity to hold a grudge hours after an incident.

Also, if you live in australia or somewhere with tarantulae (tropics, deserts), you might have a little more to worry about and maybe you can try to ID the species from memory. Try the critter quest thread.

As for welcoming a spider the size of your palm into your house, I understand that's not a very appetizing idea. In the future, try the ol' glass cup trap on the spider. Then slip something thin and rigid underneath and put it outside so it can eat less pleasant bugs trying to enter your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Blooshoo posted:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/ still works (if anyone is curious about it). I have a special fondness of it because it was the thing that made me get an account (read about it on fark..)

That's awesome! Did Jeff ever surface again?