Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
How long should it take for a company (specifically, Amazon.com) to charge my debit card? I used it for three purchases on their website (one each on the 26th, 27th, and 29th), and none of them are listed in the charges on my card. I have actually received one of the three items, and I'm due to receive the other two tomorrow, if Amazon's shipping estimations are correct.

How long does this type of thing normally take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Does a higher elevation help with stargazing?

Or is it the case that given the distances involved, an extra 5,000 feet don't mean poo poo?

It seems to me that a higher elevation could help if it either clears clutter blocking the edges of the skyline (trees, mountains, etc.) or if it is in a place where there is less light in the area-- the stars will be brighter and more will be visible.

Although, when you look at it, it's not really the elevation that's helping with the stargazing, as you can find dark, uncluttered areas that aren't elevated, as well.

Just my two cents.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Nothing happens on the weekend, so it hasn't been that long. But if it wasn't charged by Wednesday (the one on the 26th), that would seem weird to me.

Hmm. I just checked my online banking again, and noticed something else. My account lists both a "balance" (this is what's shown as a result of the list of charges), and an "available balance". My available balance is my balance minus the cost of the three Amazon orders, to the penny. What does this mean? Is it my bank that isn't posting the charges? Because they obviously know that Amazon charged my account the exact amount.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
I'm looking into getting a smaller-sized HDTV (somewhere around 32 inches) for my room, mainly for use with an Xbox 360, but I may look into getting a cable box in my room as well.

I was wondering, what's the difference between LCD and plasma? Which would be better to buy? And what do the HD numbers and letters mean? (for example, 720p and 1080i)

Thanks. :)

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

gwar3k1 posted:

:words:

Thank you very much! I'll go check out that megathread. :)

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
Is there a WhatPulse thread somewhere on SA? I see there is a group "SomethingAwfulGoons" on WP that is password-protected, but I can't seem to find a WP thread with the password anywhere. No, I do not have forums search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
I ordered a book from a seller on Amazon Marketplace, and when the package came, it appeared to have been torn in shipping, exposing the book (particularly the jacket) to quite a bit of wear and tear. It was ordered from an individual THROUGH Amazon, not from Amazon directly, and the package was not insured (to my knowledge). Is there anything I can do about this?