Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I recently took up walking again, and am thinking of buying a new pair of boots. I currently own a pair of Brasher Fellmasters. These are in good condition, and while perfect for wet and cold days, I was wondering if there's anything slightly lighter and more breathable for summer use. For now, I'll probably be doing 10-15 miles, mainly on trails but with a bit of mild hillwalking thrown in. Does anyone have some decent reccommendations? I wear a UK size 10, and have slightly wide feet just to complicate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
If the sun were to suddenly stop giving out light and heat, how long would it take for the planet to become uninhabitable? How long until the surface becomes too cold to live on, and how long would survivors be able to survive down mineshafts/bunkers etc?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Where would I go about getting a cheap yet reasonably accurate geiger counter from in the UK? I'm not looking to do something stupid like trying to build my own dirty bomb or become a prepper, I'm just toying with the idea of having a cool toy I can poke random things with to see if it goes click.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Namarrgon posted:

When you say "cheap", what are you looking for? Because individuals and labs have very different interpretations of cheap.

The cheaper the better, as I essentially want one as an interesting toy rather than to make sure I don't fry my internal organs in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Definitely under £100.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Are there any Latin goons that can answer a question?

Late last week, one of our suppliers sent over their new April 2021 catalogue. It had a pretty generic strapline of "Beauty lies within" on the cover, and the designer had decided to get fancy by putting a Latin translation underneath.

I'm no expert on Latin, but "Pulchritudo in mendacium" seems like a pretty colossal example of why google translate is not a substitute for proper proofreading. As best as I can make out, this translates as something roughly similar to "Beauty in falsehoods/lies".

Being my usual helpful self, I emailed them to let them know. The rather verbose reply I got back can be summed up as "There's absolutely nothing wrong with our translation, learn to Latin". Which one of us screwed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Mescal posted:

Lol can you post a pic of it?

Jeza posted:

Tell your supplier to look up "mendacious".

That's what made me notice it.