Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I've looked through the forums and used a bit of google-fu and havent found any threads about Deaf Education. In particular, becoming a teacher of the deaf, an interpreter, which colleges have good BA/MA programs, and all the questions those entail. I am just beginning my venture into this and I'd love a solid idea of what I would be in for.

If there is no thread for this kind of thing, where would I start one? I thought about A/T, but its more of a Academics thing. Theres also the teachers megathread listed in the OP, but I don't think that'd be a good place.

Help :ohdear:

If the OP is still being updated, GWS has a 2011 Gardening Thread

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

tarepanda posted:

I would imagine that Gallaudet University is THE place to go for Deaf Education.

afaik, Gallaudet is mostly a general college for the deaf/HOH (though it does admit a small amount of hearing students). They do have education-based undergrad degrees, but thats what I'm looking for - more information. There have to be a FEW deaf/hoh goons, or teachers of the deaf on SA. UCSD has a pretty good rep for deaf ed based on my vague knowledge.

ex: would I be a deaf studies major, or a deaf education major? Whats the difference? What do you do with a deaf studies major vs a deaf education major (besides teach/interpret)? Is that all too broad of a spectrum? :\

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Josh Lyman posted:

If you don't want something that hardcore, 3 buck chuck at Trader Joe's gets the job done.

Never discount box wine. 10$ for 5 liters, drink fast and remember to stock aspirin the next day. Or plastic bottle vodka.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

gp2k posted:

Agreed. In case it isn't supposed to be given out for some reason, and since I don't want to get an employee in trouble, I figured I'd do some background research first. But if nobody responds, I'll definitely call.

You can try the Reasons I No Longer Desire to Work in Retail thread. Its not really a Q/A type of thread, but you might be more likely to find a Jamba-Goon there. Add in the "and since I don't want to get an employee in trouble" for a good response :shobon:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

jim beam decanters

I dont know about your issue, but depending on price, I'd be interested in this. I love decanters in general.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

randyest posted:

Take a bunch of pictures and make an SA-Mart thread?

This is your best option. Goons will buy anything. Especially me. But,

They have so many loving decanters. If you can give me a few days I can catalog everything in pictures and you can make an offer. PM me if you're serious.
I call dibs on the decanters if you do. I don't have PM's. Post an SA mart thread, seriously. I can't be the only goon who has a love affair with decanters. Just put something in the thread about IRL offers that make good on payment before goons gets the product and your rear end should be covered. No one can fault you for selling poo poo ASAP, especially locally.

\/ SHUT YOUR MOUTH

randyest posted:

WHEEZY SELL A DECANTER
gently caress, I laughed way too hard

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 25, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

tarepanda posted:

What's a good Windows font that either comes with the system or common software (i.e., MS Office) and has letters in the same shape as most normal handwriting?

I'm not looking for a cursive or handwritten font, mind you, but something that has simple letters.

The font I use now is Tw Cen MT, but I have two gripes about it compared to handwriting: one, the lower-case j has no hook, and two, the upper-case I has ho horizontal bars.

Tahoma and verdana come to mind. Possibly, Georgia?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I have a facebook question. A guy I used to talk to randomly deleted his FB profile. I know he actually deleted it because a mutual friend of ours asked me if he deleted it. A few weeks back we stopped being actual friends and quit talking. Today I log into facebook and he's back on my friends list. I didn't re-add him and he didn't add me, no one has my facebook password either.

Is it because he deleted (deactivated?) his facebook?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Fists Up posted:

You can deactivate and reactivate your profile so its basically like he never went away except I think he will lose all his wall posts and photo tags and some other things.

I've got some unfriender app that says when someone removes you or deactivates there account and I have a lot that come back.

:saddowns: awkwardd. Thanks guys :)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Raimundus posted:

If an attorney is so convinced of the opposing argument in court that he can no longer represent his client on moral grounds and then promptly refuses to do so, what consequences does he face?

Have you tried asking in the legal questions megathread ?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Ouija posted:

why are people holding up [seemingly] random letters on Matisyahu' FB page?

http://www.facebook.com/matisyahu?sk=photos

http://matisyahuworld.com/news

quote:

Matisyahu recently asked you on Facebook:

“I need your help for a little project I’m cooking up. Snap a photo of yourself holding one letter from the alphabet. Upload it to my Facebook page like the pic below. What I do with the letters.. you’ll see soon. Thanks”

Many of you joined in on the fun and submitted your photos and have been waiting to find out what this special project is….

Well folks, here it is - check out YOUR letters put together in this special video by Matisyahu:

That’s right, Matisyahu is heading out on the road to come spend the summer with all of you! And if you were one of the individuals whose letter pic was used in the video, you get backstage passes to any show in the city of your choice! You will be contacted through Facebook soon with more information, so please be sure your privacy settings are set so that individuals outside your list of Friends can send you a message.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

dmkmills posted:

It seems like a simple question, but I can't quite find the answer on the DMV site...

I'm in California, and I have an appointment to renew my license in a DMV office in San Diego tomorrow. However, my permanent license (and the form they mailed) is at my parent's house. Do I *need* that specific form to renew? Or can I just go to the DMV office? Or maybe I can have my mom fax it to me?

I'd like to avoid as much "out of the ordinary process" at the DMV, obviously :)

Anyway, I thought someone might have had a similar personal experience here!

Norcal, here you can fill out a new one at the DMV. If you don't have your license, you need another form of ID though to prove who you are.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

blueblaze posted:

How do I get rid of my avatar or just go without? Someone bought it for me a year ago and I've never liked it.

I believe the only way is to pay to replace it. https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/titlechange.php

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Bamboo area rug?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I cant afford to go get any detergent (or anything, for that matter) for my clothes. As far as I know you can use apple cider vinegar (of which I have 5 gallons) to wash/clean clothes. How much do I use for a normal load of clothes in a washer?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

quote:

Why do you have 5 gallons of apple cider vinegar but no detergent?

Fire In The Disco posted:

This is a very valid question.
Bought it six months ago, I use it to clean my counters/floors. 1:1 ACV:water solution lasts a very long time.

quote:

When you do get a few dollars to your name, making your own detergent is really cheap and effective. It's a couple bucks for a box of Borax, a couple bucks for a box of washing soda and a couple bucks for a bar of Fels-Naptha, and they all should be in the laundry section of your grocery store. Grate the soap, and mix the ingredients in equal parts. You use barely any, like a tbsp. at the most, so it lasts a good long while, too. You'll end up with leftover washing soda and Borax, so the next time you make it you just need the soap.

I've actually been meaning to do this for the last few weeks but never got around to it :saddowns:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Darko posted:

Google is failing me on this one, and I'm getting mixed answers.

Does cosigning on an apartment lease show up on your credit history as an outstanding debt? ie. If you're applying for a mortgage, cosigning on a car lease shows up as you owing the end amount of that lease, and thus an outstanding debt. However, there seems to be a lot of confusion as if a rental lease shows up in the same way, or even at all (probably generally because apt managers, etc. report differently). Is there anyone who knows of people that handle credit/financing/etc. that can answer this definitively?

I don't handle credit/financing, but as far as I know the only time it'll show up is if the person youre cosigning for doesn't pay and then YOU don't pay. Once you don't pay, it goes on your record as a negative mark.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

KittenofDoom posted:

Aside from Craigslist, can someone give me a good resource for finding a studio apartment in San Francisco? There are so many properties that it'd take weeks if I just canvassed neighborhoods, and even then it'd be hard to find something in my price range.

I used an actual apartment finder company. No charge to me, they get paid by whichever complex I signed with. See if there are any of those in sf?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Giant Squid posted:

In terms of identity theft, what could somebody to me if they knew my first name, my last name, and an old address that is no longer the billing address for any of my credit cards or my debit card? An old "friend of a friend" has turned out to be really sketchy.

My sister and her husband now live at my old address, if that matters.

Nothing

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
My own stupid question

quote:

CITY---------------ARRIVAL----LAYOVER------DEPARTURE
RS Sliding H PA -----10:50 am---- 0:30---------10:45 am

How does a bus arrive at 10:50, have a 30 minute layover and leave five minutes before it arrived?

That sounds way too much like an algebra problem

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Is it real money? Maybe not the cops, but they will more than likely send you to collections.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

empiricus posted:

Money he transferred into his AlertPay account, then sent to my AlertPay account. It never touched my bank account, though

If the money never left the alertpay account, shouldn't you be at $0?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

SqueePower posted:

I own a condo and my bathroom basin sink, when the hot water is turned on, causes the pipes in my unit and the adjacent units to vibrate pretty violently. To fix the problem the superintendent for the building brought in a plumber to see if he could fix the problem: however, the plumber declared the problem to be with the faucet in my unit and not the pipes in the walls. He spent at most 10 minutes in my place and did no work. If the problem were the within the walls it would be the condo corporation's responsibility to deal with it, anything inside the unit is mine.

This was April 12, I got an invoice yesterday asking for $70 payment due on the 12th of May.

Is this normal? Do I pay this? I have contact info for the property manager and was thinking of giving him a call.

Call your property manager. Chances are they got sent a bill too.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I have an HTC Evo and I broke the charger to it a while back. I decided to get a little Belkin charger that said it was compatible with the evo. It charges fine, but now it won't show up as a disk drive on my computer. Is it because its not an Official Sprint Charger? Is there another way to put music on my phone? :saddowns:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

I have an HTC Incredible and in order to have it show up as a disk drive, I have to change a setting to switch the phone from Charge Only to Disk Drive.

I do this by either dragging the notification bar down, touching the USB symbol, and selecting Disk Drive. You can also go to Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type and set it for Disk Drive.
Its already set to this as the default. It doesnt even do the notification that its charging/connected to pc. The light comes on and thats it. I double checked my settings and its set to connect as a disk drive by default

quote:

As far as putting music on it, you can download the Amazon MP3 app which downloads music directly to your phone when purchased and includes the Cloud Player.

With the cloud player you can upload your muisc from your PC to Amazon 'a cloud drive and listen to it anywhere via Cloud Player/MP3 app on your phone.

I will try this

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

If all else fails, you can get a micro SD card holder, which then goes into a regular SD slot and you can add the music directly.

I dont have an SD slot on my PC, would something like this work?

I cant find the charger I bought online. It was from target and came with four different types of connections, one being the micro USB needed to charge my phone. If the above linked product will work on my micro SD card, I'll just buy one of those tomorrow :)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
It may be I only notice if this occurs.. but why does it seem that used hardcover books are cheaper than used paperback books on amazon? I'm talking including shipping, cheapest overall price is usually a hardcover more often that not.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

BlazinLow305 posted:

Not going into detail to avoid a drawn out post. I mix drinks with 95% grain everclear, usually in sweet tea. My roommate took the bottle somewhere and I put a bit into this tupperware type container. I've read nothing should really break down that fast, but my drink I just made tastes typical plus a distinct dirty dish/pasta sauce taste. I'm guessing the high proof alcohol leeched out some of those flavors that have been in that bowl.

It's still probably safe to drink though right? It's only been in the container 2 or so days and was refrigerated and the container was clean.

Im pretty sure grain alcohol like everclear kills all things, so you should be fine.

you can use everclear to clean wounds :laugh:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Niggard of Oz posted:

I've never owned a cellphone, and one is not in my near future. However, I need to text someone. Can someone recommend a site to lookup what provider the number belongs to and a site to actually send the text? And, is it actually free to do this? I don't want to add to her bill.

Why can't you call them? If they don't have a texting plan (which is unlikely, but possible), it'll charge them 5 or 10 cents to get your message. I know on AIM you used to be able to send an IM to a US phone number by IMing their number as "+1xxxxxxxxxx" sub in their area code and actual phone number

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I'm going to be looking for a second job soon. All my current experience is in retail, but I have two years of old administrative work (secretary, file clerk, office bitch work - essentially). Chances are, though, I'll be applying mostly for customer service work.

In regards to craigslist ad's that have no business name/contact info, how safe is it to email my resume to those ads? Anyone can put up a fake job listing, can't they? I'll still be personally papering my area with my resume/applications, but I wondered about that.

e: example for clarity?

quote:

This is a part time position, (20 hours per week), with a great established company!

Hours: Mon-Fri. 10:00am-2:00pm

Requirements: Please be prompt and reliable, with proficient computer skills
and please be able to pass a background check.

For consideration, please e-mail your resume .

Thats an entire ad for a admin/office position.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 23, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

isoprenaline posted:

I would say for an ad with so little information that it would be perfectly fine to email a set of questions about the position before you send your information.

Those hours kinda suck to. You are working part time but every weekday and right in the productive time.
And what sort of company only needs a 4 hour a day.... whatever the hell they want.

I already have a job taking up my early mornings four days a week and ill only get more hours if I get promoted v :) v it sucks. speaking of jobs, are there any legit data entry from home jobs? Data entry speed is what got me a lot of my jobs.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

kimbo305 posted:

You can set up a 2nd email just do use against these CL postings.

I was more concerned with sending off my full name, home address and telephone number.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I'm not sure if anyone here would have an answer, but here goes. I need "Check in Here with Foursquare" window clings or stickers for my businesses. I know you can get them for free through Foursquare business but it took me four months to get three of them so far and I need another five still.

Does anyone know where to buy them? I searched around and can't find anything, not even on eBay.

These guys are selling decals: http://www.htmlgraphic.com/check-in/

This ebay auction is current: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200594480343&hlp=false#ht_485wt_1253

If all else fails, you can get a micro SD card holder, which then goes into a regular SD slot and you can add the music directly.
Thanks Fire In The Disco. I got the micro SD holder today and it worked like a charm

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I'm all up in here with stupid questions. Anyone have legit sources about salon tanning or know what thread to post in about it? Skin care thread seems most appropriate but its more cleaning if the skin.

Mostly, what I want is A) not a t-shirt tan and B) stop my skin from going to crispy automatically. I burn super easy, do i need a higher spf sunscreen?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Eyeball posted:

What Dr. 0050 is talking about is called a secured credit card.

And only some banks report them. US Bank reports my secured card, I dont know about others.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Once in a while during an active text convo my phone will decide the other person is texting from the future. at 3pm I got a response that is timestamped for 930pm tonight. Another one came that way when she responded to me again. My texts show the right time and hers went back to the right time, but those two texts show as the most recent with the 930 (and 934) timestamp.

Why does that happen? Are my friends time travellers? :ohdear:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 1, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

BonHair posted:

Whenever I get texts from China (I'm in Denmark), they'll appear to be in the future. I guess the sender makes the timestamp, relative to whatever timezone the phones believes itself to be in. Perhaps your friends hosed up their clocks or something. Or they are Nigerian scammers.

That doesn't really make sense. Her timezone is my time zone, she lives an hour up the road from me. It does it periodically with other people as well. All of us live in the US so it should be a maximum of a 3 hour difference if that were the case, it was 9 hours this time. I didn't note the difference any other time v:)v

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Ridonkulous posted:

EMS or Hospice will usually cover the body, but this is not a certainty.
I do it at work (Paramedic) but only for my own sake and no one elses.

If its a public death (street shooting, run over by a car, whatever) I would assume it would occur for the public's well being.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

silversiren posted:

Just out of curiosity, but if you apply for a job as a courier or driver, can they refuse to hire you because of past accidents that were not your fault? I'm not even applying for a driver job, I just want to know.

Yeah. I know our city bus drivers get fired if they have two accidents even if both are not their fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Cantv posted:

Basically, does semi frequent use of the card build credit, or is it the sheer purchase size / amount of money used and paid back that builds credit better?

Neither. Having the credit available, not maxing it out and leaving it maxed out, not going over your limit and paying on time builds credit. It can sit at zero for all of eternity and it'd build credit. Go hit up the BFC megathread about credit before you get hosed