Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Platystemon posted:

I think the sliding friction is important, but I’ve never used braille, so I could be wrong and it would not be so hard to get used to.
Not blind, but I tried learning Braille once and sliding your fingers back and forth definitely seemed necessary to me. If you just put your finger on the bumps and hold still you can't really tell what they are at all. I think some light vibration could be enough to provide that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Try adjusting your posture, that sounds like a tension headache. Fun fact: the brain itself has no pain receptors, which is why open-skull neurosurgery with only local anaesthesia is not only possible, but necessary in some cases.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tension headaches come mostly from the neck area. I guess if you're like me, you take liberal notes and do the occasional exercise when studying, right? Being a bit hunched over like that tends to make those headaches come a lot more quickly.

Emotional stress causes tension headaches as well, though, so if you dislike studying (or, rather, probably experience some low-grade exam stress ahead of time when you do it, which can sympathize with) that probably contributes to it as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, think of it this way: even if you aren't putting in any physical effort, you probably think of it as effort, right? So you probably subtly tense your head and neck muscles as if you were preparing for strenuous exercise, which is what causes this kind of emotionally induced tension headache. It's entirely subconscious. I would consider doing some kind of relaxation exercise, or (like Strix says) preparing foods and drinks that put you in a relaxed mindset.

But no, neurons do not feel pain. They really can't even.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anyone here speak Latin? I'm trying to change 'sic transit gloria mundi' from 'thus passes the glory of the world' to 'thus passes Gloria from the world.' I would just say 'sic transit gloria ex mundi,' but I'm pretty that's 'from' as in "Jim from Kentucky" or "diarrhea from McDonalds."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thank you. As luck would have it, the Wikipedia page on the ablative case even has an image taken from a Latin textbook that says it's what you should use for locational departures. Seems fine to me, then!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hot sauce brands definitely, for me personally. Louisiana Hot Sauce is something I mail order because the local brands just can't compete. You guys know your junk food.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

hooah posted:

Is there a tool to show a map of the area wherein addresses all use the same city field? I can find maps of a given city's limits, but that's usually smaller than what I'm looking for.
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but if you search for just a city's name on Google Maps, it will highlight the town boundaries for you in red. It's precise down to the street level.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Might depend on where you live. I'm not American, but I've made the experience that local post services can waffle between using the address as given by the city name or the address as given by the ZIP code depending on who sorted your letter. When those things don't match, it can be up to the postal worker's own discretion to guess which one was the location you really meant.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a non-anthrocentric term for visible light?
It's explicitly the human-visible spectrum of light, so why would we need one? The acknowledgment that it specifically refers to the wavelengths that are visible to humans is kind of baked into the definition of the term.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

artsy fartsy posted:

Are there any teeth-whitening products you can use at home that work well?
To give you the same advice my own dentist gave me: don't use anything more aggressive than teeth-whitening toothpaste at home, or you might do irreparable damage to your enamel. Anything that works faster than these should only be used by a medical professional and even then there are likely to be some long-term consequences, especially if it is done repeatedly. The site I linked in this post lists a number of them that should do the job, assuming you're in the USA. If not, you can probably google for some good brands yourself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can recommend TaoTronics as a manufacturer. I own a number of their wireless headphones and they're all solid quality for the price.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes, they're just arbitrary collections of ingredients that resemble meat. Buddhists have been eating seitan for centuries.
This. If it's actually tofu then it's actually tofu. Dietary prohibitions usually have something to do with ritual impurity, not what you think the dish is made of, nor with what it looks like.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fair enough, sorry for generalizing there. There are, of course, religious and social customs that have nothing to do with the animal itself being taboo to eat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, in that case I would say that we should draw a distinction between religious customs like fasting and dietary taboos here, which do usually revolve around the idea that said food is spiritually impure to consume. They're two different kinds of religious laws that just coincidentally look very similar to each other, basically.

If the custom is basically ascetic, such as the fasting described by Slimy Hog, then there isn't really any problem with the food itself or what it is made from, but rather that you're currently participating in a particular religious observance in which the spirit of the rule matters more than the letter.

If you're not allowed to eat pork because pigs are impure animals, though, then the source of the meat (or whether it's even actually meat at all) does matter, because that impurity is an intrinsic trait of pigs. If you're not allowed to eat meat because it's spiritually harmful to kill animals for food, then there's nothing rules-lawyering about eating something that just resembles meat, because it isn't actually meat and nothing was killed to produce the food.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I did say "usually," not "always."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think those were recently discussed in the Greatest Sagas thread over in PYF, you'd probably have better luck asking there. The "Lost SA Stuff" thread is also in PYF.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't that the probability of it landing on 1 five times in a row? This is an X out of Y question. I used a probability calculator and it tells me that there's a 0.0918 percent chance of any five out of seven dice rolling a 1 at the same time if you roll them all at once, which is the same thing for the purposes of the question.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 28, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

Right -- this is the scenario I meant. So that's a .09% chance?
Yes, I just corrected my post because I gave the raw probability there, not the percentage. If I didn't use the calculator wrong, a 0.09% chance of that happening is what you get.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's not something to be concerned about. You might have made the experience that putting your cellphone near your PC loudspeakers makes a thumping/screeching noise when someone calls you - it's the same general concept. If there was enough of a shielding leak on your microwave to be worth worrying about, you would feel an intense burning pain whenever you stand near it while it's running.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

hooah posted:

With my Sony pair you can turn that off via their Headphones app.
Same for their earbuds. Not useful for Nishi here, but the WF-1000XM3 are worth every cent and incredibly customizable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, set up a guest network. It's not just your neighbour who you need to be concerned about, but everyone who they might choose to share the password with as well. Not making any accusations there, but it's simply good security consciousness to be aware that this can happen.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

While it has already been mentioned, the Chinese language sphere also has its own (fairly giant) market of video games. Most of it never gets translated, but they make tons of games - not the least of which are mobile games. If you own an Android phone, you have hundreds to thousands of Chinese-made games available to you at all times.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

EricBauman posted:

A lot of tedious sims (Euro truck manager, farming manager) are from Germany, so those may be German first, but some might also be developed in German and English concurrently
Speaking as a local, no software made in Germany is written or developed in German first these days if there is even the slightest expectation of selling it on the international market at some point. It's just more sensible to plan for it from the get-go.

VVV Very good point, yeah. There's just no point to not developing bilingually right away.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 1, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

People were never the problem when it comes to emissions. Corporations that just plain do not give a poo poo if they end all human life with their profiteering are, and those didn't stop for the pandemic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Quoting from Reddit:

quote:

When you search for something by running time you'll notice this URL parameter appears &sort=runtime-asc-rank

For example:

https://www.audible.com/search?keywords=fiction&sort=runtime-asc-rank

Just change the word "asc" to "desc". So: &sort=runtime-desc-rank

For example:

https://www.audible.com/search?keywords=fiction&sort=runtime-desc-rank
Hope it works for you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd just go with a verb. "Este papel higiénico se puede tirar." Something like that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm trying to find an old thread, I'm fairly sure it's from SA. It was about the OP starting to breed rabbits for food, and their whole tale of doing so. They documented the whole saga really well, had lots of photographs - I specifically remember the device they used to (humanely) kill the rabbits, was a metal crook that got bolted to a tree. Was really interesting, but I have no idea where it's located, and searching "rabbit" in PI doesn't narrow much down. Can anybody help?
Try asking in this thread, it's specifically meant for finding old SA content and threads and people there might be able to help you better: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

breadnsucc posted:

Who's this? Found him on the ground, hope he's not cursed.

Pure guesswork, but I think that looks like it could be a pendant depicting the Hawaiian war god Kú: https://www.google.com/search?q=haw...iw=1472&bih=683