Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Meat Recital posted:

Is there a gender-neutral term for someone who is attracted to women?

'Gynephile' seems close to what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
FWIW to my knowledge there is no diamond megathread but it's probably worth asking about in the "Ask me about Jewelry" thread here

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

zachol posted:

I'm really having trouble understanding what the appeal would be. This isn't a "the 90's suck" joke, regardless of time period that seems much worse than advancing in time.
Like I guess if I knew there was some real bad poo poo that went down in 2025 or 2026 or something, repeating the next ten years instead would be better, but otherwise that just sounds like a bummer.

I guess you'd consistently skip out on 9/11 happening but that's about the only thing that comes to mind given the time frame

Actually as someone who was a literal child during the 90s I have to ask--how did the 90s even compare as a decade to the 00s for people who weren't 10 at the height of it? Like I know there's the whole 90s kid nostalgia thing but was any of it actually "better" or is that just the fond memories of dunkaroos and pokemon cards clouding our thoughts

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Rubies posted:

I asked the same thing ITT a while ago, I figured it was some kind of pre-installed Mac video editor thing, like "create title card" or whatever. My question got kind of lost in the shuffle but I'd be really interested in finding out why they all look the same. I try not to get "old man mad" at internet trends but I hate when my whole recommended feed is people reacting to poo poo over a cartoony background with faces like SPROI-OI-OING LOL!!!

This is from pages ago but I'm pretty sure the whacky title card fad was popularized by early YouTube personalities like Shane Dawson and Ray William Johnson. The former was known for comedy skits I guess (I never watched him, he's been in the news recently though for coming out as bisexual) and the latter did a kind of Talk Soup-style thing on viral videos (so pre-Tosh.0), can't say where they got it from exactly but I think it evolved outwards from there

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
What's my best option for a laptop that's capable of running Steam at more than a snail's pace? I haven't bought a new computer in nearly a decade and have no idea what to look for, but I need it to be portable, so desktops are out. I'm not looking to play anything heavier on CPU usage than, say, Baldur's Gate or the original Fallout series. I'm just tired of digging out my ancient brick from approximately 2012 and waiting half an hour for everything to load in :(

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

owlhawk911 posted:

I saw someone with the old windows 3d pipes screensaver for an av, and now I want to stare at the real thing for an hour or so. How do I get it on windows 10, and why aren't screensavers a thing anymore?

You could always pick a random starting point in this 10 hour video of the screensaver, watch it on full screen and just pretend it's 1998 again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzx9ArZ7MUU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

eternalvictory posted:

Say, what’s the cheapest independent living arrangement in US? PNW to be more specific.

I’m not making min wage but not making much more than poor. I wonder what I’ve potentially been turning my nose up to that might be an option I’ve otherwise overlooked, would sum up the real question on my mind.

Does everyone just slum it with roomies or live with their parents?Are trailers even a thing? Are tiny homes achievable for the working poor?

Tbh it is kind of impossible to live on your own here (20 minutes out from PDX in my case) unless you're making like $15/hr minimum, since most one bedroom or studio options these days start at roughly a grand just for rent alone, and that's not even counting poo poo like utilities, saving for first/last months rent/deposits and the like. I lucked out with a sketchy renovated boarding house situation at $820 but most people do indeed either have roommates, still live with family or split their rent with an SO. If there is a magical fourth option for us poors that's better than what I got though I'd also love to hear it

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Yeah the thing with trailers is you're usually not gonna find one already set up for rent, generally you'd have to buy one yourself up front and then buy the space it'll be on. Definitely cheaper than fussing with the rental market landscape long-term but the issue with it is kind of just timing and the up front investment. most parks I see don't exactly have high turnover the way apartments do so you might be waiting a while for all those pieces to line up

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I've used both Newpipe and Vanced, both are good but ultimately preferred Vanced since the layout is basically the app itself minus ads (meaning you can log in, see your channel subscriptions etc). Newpipe seems better if you don't care about any of that and just want something streamlined

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I just saw Peter Dinklage in the meme thread and was reminded of a movie I tried watching that he was in a while back

It took place in Germany essentially present day, and the film was completely in German until his character showed up. When he'd have a conversation with somebody else, he'd talk exclusively in English and they'd respond in German. I kinda figured at some point they'd mix the two languages, or one would switch over, or that it would otherwise be acknowledged in some way, but it never happened.

As somebody who's American and never had the privilege to travel outside the US, is that actually representative of real bilingual exchanges for modern day Germany or was that just a weird directorial choice? I wasn't really sure where to ask beyond kramering into an actual German thread :sweatdrop:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Dawncloack posted:

I keep thinking of this scene in Gremlins 2. The male and female leads sit on a bench (outside?) and she starts telling him about something that happened in her childhood. She was 7, there was a man dressed as Lincoln (or another president) and... and that's where the male lead cuts her because something is happenning.

Did I dream this? Is there a way to pull up this clip? I think about it often and wonder what it meant, because I watched it as a kid and as an adult I realize there must be something to it that I simply didn't understand at time. Help? Or should I move my rear end to the movies subforum?

After doing some light research (having only seen Gremlins and not the sequel) I'm guessing this was supposed to be making fun of that part in the first one where Phoebe Cates tells the story of how her dad died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVPUsyrT0s

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Badger of Basra posted:

In the 90s and early 2000s (less so now, I feel like) everyone in the US/UK made a lot of jokes about bad translations of Japanese media into English (all your base etc). Did the reverse, widespread bad English->Japenese media translation, happen as well? Are there any iconic examples on the level of "all your base are belong to us"?

There was that time Ariana Grande tried to get the name of her latest single tattooed on her hand in Japanese for promotional purposes and ended up with "small barbecue grill" instead but that's the most notable recent example I can think of

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Search only appeared for me in the (Android) app after I bought the upgrade that includes it, not before, so that might also be a factor

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Washington might be one of the less jarring choices for you just based on a cultural perspective. Not nearly as fast paced as LA or NY. Weather is also like 90% rain here but it's super green as a result

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I use YouTube Vanced for android, functions about the same way the regular app would if you were paying for the monthly subscription (so no ads, lets you play video with the screen turned off among other things)

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Tiggum posted:

I went looking for hair dye today to re-purple myself and all I could find was this L'Oréal Préférence one (which I haven't used before), so I grabbed it and only noticed when I got home that it says not advised for light-coloured hair. But it doesn't seem to say why. Anyone know what the issue would be?

So funny thing about hair dye, there's this stuff called "toner" that they use to take out the brassy/yellow tones either after the bleaching process or just in general, it basically looks like conditioner that is varying degrees of mid to light purple. What this does is basically desaturate the color and give you a more blank slate for dyeing. You leave it on for a time similar to actual hair dye, then rinse, then reapply every other wash as the brass/yellow comes back because it's not permanent

If the purple in the dye you bought isn't super saturated, it's entirely possible that on super light hair it wouldn't actually dye it purple so much as tone it, i.e. the end result under the boxed instructions would turn it grey or silver. You might still get a decent purple by leaving it on for way longer than instructed but you might be better off getting a different brand (i.e. arctic fox, splat, manic panic). If your hair isn't super short you could always do a strand test, but if you're impatient like me you can just do your whole head and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you're getting silver hair, which will just serve as an even better base for a deeper purple

I've been dyeing my own hair at home (to mixed success) for the past decade or so and I'm hardly a professional but hopefully that answer was helpful

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

DildenAnders posted:

Is there an "ask a doctor" thread? Or mor specifically somewhere to ask for an eye doctor? I got a new glasses prescription with no IPD measure and I'm not sure how to measure mine because my left eye crosses.

I would honestly just go back to the optometrist you got the new prescription from and ask them what your PD was, because they likely have it on file and they can't legally deny you that info even if they get huffy about it--somebody had to measure it in order to get your prescription in the first place. A lot of eye doctors won't list it on the documentation they give you post-appointment because they don't want you to realize you could be paying under 50 bucks for frames online through Zennioptical and other sites

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I have also used Zenni a handful of times (as a small cis woman) and cosign going for their $30+ options. I have a pair that were like $10 before my prescription was added and they really do feel like dollar store quality :sweatdrop: I should note that they don't *look* cheap, but they absolutely feel it. They also tend to do holiday coupon codes, which are worth waiting for if you're grabbing more than a few pairs at a time

Edit: I should probably note my cheap frames were plastic ones, don't have any experience with their metal pairs

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 2, 2021

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
So I have an old external hard drive from college that I partitioned for schoolwork, with part being for PC use and part being for Mac use. I was able to access the PC side just fine using my Android phone and a couple of adapters, not ideal but better than nothing. I was wondering though, is it possible to access/view the Mac portion without actually using a Mac? I haven't used one since school and am not sure where I'd find access to one now but was trying to recover some files from that part of the drive and I'm kind of at a loss. I do have access to computers with Windows if using my phone isn't an option

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Re: the Cosby question, I recently watched a retrospective on The Cosby Show that goes into his past and influence that I thought was pretty well done. It's more about the show than anything else but as somebody who grew up watching and enjoying it I found it kind of cathartic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIS98DltT8

Frankly I had no idea how huge he actually was prior to the show getting made--my frame of reference was entirely the syndicated run on Nick at Nite as a child--so I appreciated gaining a greater context. I think it's far more likely he will be remembered and regarded in the same way as Polanski instead of Lennon, if he is remembered for his artistry by future generations at all. This would also be an interesting topic for the Sexual Assault/Culture of Hollywood thread in CD (you can find that here)

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I kind of just assumed the reason for the labor shortage was less "a ton of people are still getting government assistance!" and more that the people going back to work have just decided to pick slightly less lovely jobs/finally had the time and financial buffer to make a career move away from the absolute pit that is the service industry. Like lots of people deciding to go into the trades or schooling again in lieu of returning to their restaurant/fast food gig where the pay is garbage and the customers are also garbage, people finding computer touching gigs or going into actual gig jobs instead, etc

Of course I haven't actually looked into the statistics and wouldn't know where to start but that's just based on what I've been seeing

Edit: the post above me is also a great breakdown on how much the unemployment assistance was an absolute game changer for many. I was one of those people who went from making like $300 a week to over a grand because my work closed down. had rent not been an issue it could have easily contributed to a major life change like job switching or even relocating

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 13, 2021

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

rainmstr posted:

Am I weird for liking the older environment of the internet? I am 16 and I really like the older communities and games of the internet from the early 2000s when I was not born yet, or just a baby. Am I weird for liking this type of thing considering the majority of my age group strictly uses mainstream social media platforms (that I just do not understand the appeal of)?
Maybe I need to go outside more- :sweatdrop:

I don't know that it's any weirder than being a young person who collects vinyl/likes to shop vintage, this is just the Internet Version of that really

The thing I like about SA versus popular social networking sites is that because there's just a smaller userbase in general the experience feels a little more curated/less chaotic. On something like Insta/Reddit/Twitter you might feel like you're just screaming into the void a lot; forums are a lot better at promoting actual discussion just due to the nature of the medium. On a forum you also aren't really concerned with things like upvotes or likes, everybody's kind of on the same level. The feel is more "communal", so to speak, which might be a part of the appeal for you.

Not that forums themselves didn't also have their own cons of course :v: You're very, very lucky to be experiencing this place in 2021 versus, say, 2001 or even 2011, frankly. The politics of the early to mid 2000s internet were pretty dire to say the least

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait were they really bad in 2011? That's when I joined and GBS at least was way better than now. GBS was RSS despite what the rule said, and once it turned into chaos a couple years later I never ventured back in. Even now I only follow the OSHA thread there and just hang out in the subforums

Nah you're right, 2011 GBS had way more effort posting than it does now. I think I was more referring to internet culture in general at that point in time, you had way more blanket dismissals of feminism as misandry, or people having little to no understanding of trans issues, assuming racism was "over" post-Obama, that sort of thing.

Actually I remember hearing people refer to the GBS reboot as being due to wanting to quash its reputation as "being run by cat ladies", which in itself is a little :yikes: to me

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
So I decided to take one of those trendy personality test things for funsies and was reminded of my major pet peeve with those-- what do you call it when there's two questions/statements that are fundamentally the same thing but just worded differently, and what is the actual point of them? Example:

"I am prepared for any disaster."

versus

"I always have a plan for what I would do if things go wrong."

Like what's the actual difference between the two? Is it that one sounds more dramatic and the other more matter-of-fact? What makes a person rate one of those statements as more "like them" compared to the other?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
A quick Google did bring this up, fwiw:

dictionary.com posted:

Zhuzh (also spelled zhoosh) as a verb means “to make (something) more lively, interesting, and stylish.” It is a fairly recent slang term, first appearing in the mid-1960s in gay communities in the U.K. in the sense “to improve the look of one’s clothing or outfit”; its current, more general sense dates from the mid-70s. The source of zhuzh, as with most slang terms, is problematic: zhuzh may be purely onomatopoeic, representing the sound of someone rushing around; it may be from Polari, a kind of British slang derived largely from Italian and used since the 18th century among theatrical and circus performers and in some gay and lesbian communities; finally, zhuzh may be from Romani zhouzhou “clean, neat.”

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

regulargonzalez posted:

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda. Older than 2 years though.

Tbh Anaconda is old news since Megan Thee Stallion and Cardi B's "WAP" got released. If they're ultra conservative I'd go with either that or Lil Nas X's "Montero" (pick that one especially if they're any brand of homophobic or religious)

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Wikipedia suggests ren fairs didn't actually start till the late 50s to mid 60s in the US and that, while plenty of other countries participate in historical reenactment stuff (or have theme parks around the idea--there's one in Japan for example), very few have a "let's pretend we're all going to a festival in a time completely culturally divorced from us" type of tradition

I suspect most ren fairs are less about historical accuracy/revisiting and more for giving people a socially acceptable place to LARP. Like they might have more in common with like, anime or sci fi conventions than anything else

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Earwicker posted:

ive only been to a few but they mainly seem to be about selling fantasy-themed arts and crafts. not really "larping" so much as just hawking jewelry and art and food in a sort of pseudo-medieval character. most of the people not selling poo poo were generally not in any kind of costumes at all

I should clarify, I was more trying to say that they're alike in that conventions also have places that just make arts/crafts/sell food for a specialty subject as well as have people dressing up in said subject. At anime and sci fi ones it's just anime and sci fi and at ren fairs it is fantasy or medieval stuff. You're right tho, by comparison there's arguably less attendees at a ren fair actually dressing up compared to the people working there since they're trying to sell you on the theme itself

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 19, 2021

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I will cosign Tony's Chocolonely being good chocolate if you can find it, the only thing that sucks about it is that the big bars have an obnoxiously difficult-to-break-apart pattern on them

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
To throw some anecdotal knowledge into the pile here, I do remember learning about this as a kid from my uncle (a legit Buddhist priest); when we celebrated Chinese New Year he mentioned our age is typically counted as about a year at birth. I'm guessing the rationale has something to do with just counting the gestation period itself but that was how I justified it in my little ten year old brain

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Yeah a lot of it is just making sure the hot air from your exhaling doesn't exit from the top of the mask. Along with trying to position your glasses on top or fixing the seal on the nose bridge, it's a bit lifehack-y but I've had success in the past with buffing a small amount of shaving cream on to my lenses and rinsing off the excess. Has the same effect that anti fog spray does but is presumably something most people already own

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there an email list or app or something that will send me a showcase about a historical piece of art daily or at least regularly? Not just a picture, but info about the artist and the circumstances in which the piece was made.

I realize this is a super-specific and unlikely request

There is DailyArt if you want a daily notification on your phone, I'm not sure it's available for iPhone but it's available for Android and I've been using that for a couple years now. Pulls from a huge database with a browsable archive, all different time periods

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Does anyone here have a recommendation for free tax software/a website/an app that also covers forms issued by unemployment? I've used the free edition of TurboTax for years with no problems and for this exact scenario even, the year after the pandemic started, but of course they started charging for it as soon as they could. which, thankfully I didn't need for my latest taxes, but will definitely need in 2023

it's baffling to think a company wants me to suddenly pay $60 rather than $0 to file now solely because I had the misfortune of being laid off once in a non-quarantine year, lmao. Like I'll pay if I have to but thought I'd ask around anyway, maybe there's better options these days

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Lincoln posted:

Baffling?

Yeah no you're right it's not that baffling lol. I meant more in the sense that, being on unemployment kind of implies you're already in a rough financial spot so it's more cruel irony than anything. Thanks for the recs y'all!

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I want to learn to draw as a hobby but don't know where to start. Is there a thread on this forums where people talk about drawing? I looked around a few subforums but didn't spot anything.

If not on SA, anyone have a recommendation? A lot of the obvious subreddits are more about feedback and questions about technique, which is fine but I really want the total beginner 101 stuff. I usually don't like videos for learning things but if there's a good intro to drqawing channel I'd check it out. Thanks!

If you're not into videos but don't mind reading, I remember getting a lot out of Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain by Betty Edwards back in college; we had that assigned during a literal 101 class. Very helpful in getting you to "see" stuff as-is and make forms have more realism

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

gay frog chemicals posted:

When I'm at home I only browse the internet in general on my pc, which has Chrome with an adblocker, but if I try to watch a YouTube video on my android phone while I'm at work out opens the YouTube app and plays ads.

What non-chrome browser should I download for my android phone so I can watch YouTube videos at work with no ads?

Brave is pretty good at blocking ads in general, I just tried to watch the same video using that and Chrome and only had a midroll in the latter but haven't tested it further

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
What surface are you trying to attach them to? Like is it still a type of fabric or something else? Still meant to be worn?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Have you tried a straightening iron? Like for hair? They make some smaller sized ones that may or may not get into those nooks and crannies. Otherwise yeah sewing or hot glue might be your best bet

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, whoops! I actually meant music, but managed to not actually say that anywhere in my post...

I've been getting into music that came out before I was born, and also stuff today came out while I was growing up but didn't really have access to at the time. Some of it is nothing more than a product of its time and really dated, and some of it I really like

There's the Recommendation Megathread in NMD, although you might want to provide a few examples of what you like so far/what qualifies as "before you were born" so that people can narrow down some options for you :v:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I feel like this is also pretty varied depending on where you are in the US, like in the Pacific Northwest metro areas I'd say most small businesses will take tap to pay (most use Square so it's built in), most grocers have updated as well. There are definitely still places that have ancient POS systems or are basically cash only (weed dispensaries for example) but they're not exactly ubiquitous, I could see it being a different story in small town middle America though

Only having your phone as your sole method of payment feels like a bit of a liability to me (what if it dies??) but that's just my onion, I suppose it isn't functionally that much different than only carrying cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Letmebefrank posted:

I bought thus small wrought iron pendant from a Christmas Market.

Does this sign have any specific meaning? Before gifting it to one of my nieces, it could be good to know if this is some known benevolent pattern, and not actually the emblem of 286th SS baby-killing brigade or something.

At least the salesperson looked like a hippie blacksmith, but who knows nowadays.

Looks like it could be a version of the endless knot from a series of symbols used in quite a few Eastern religions. Reminds me a little of the ouroboros as far as meaning goes