Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
So we all know that the exposure of European disease decimated the peoples of the Americas, but why didn’t the opposite also happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Thanks, all! Very interesting.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

dirby posted:

I was afraid of this, but I assume the Chessex thread was spirited away by an admin at the OP's request?

That was a great thread I hope we didn’t get the OP in trouble. :ohdear:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Shut up Meg posted:

When you're a CEO, it will be impossible to blackmail anyone.

Every dark secret, desire and action you have ever had will be public. As will everyone else's.

Your Facebook timeline will have gynological photos of you, arranged by time from puberty until adulthood. Every law you have broken will be on your Linkedin, complete with a score. Every inappropriate comment or thought will be on your twitter feed.

That was a pretty good episode of Black Mirror.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

If the average person eats four eggs for breakfast how long should they wait before exercising?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Just exercise fasted unless you’re planning to do more than ~90 minutes of cardio.

This answers the question I should have asked, thanks!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Growing up in (USA) public school, students weren’t allowed to wear head coverings unless it was a religious observance. Why are students who don’t wear a uniform not allowed to wear hats?

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 2, 2020

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Is the PS4 game Persona 5 Royal a special edition of Persona 5 or a sequel?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

My glasses are a stronger prescription than before. My sunglasses are my old prescription; can I still use them or will the weaker prescription further deteriorate my sight?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

You'll probably get a headache switching between prescriptions. I would just buy a new pair of cheap prescription sunglasses from Zenni.

Oh, gotcha. Cool, thanks!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m trying to post a picture from imgur to the forums but it never posts correctly, what’s wrong with my link:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

That's not an image link, you need to right click the picture and select "open image in new tab". You'll get a tab where the URL ends in .jpg, that one will work with the timg tag.

Oh, gotcha! Thanks.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

I'm playing the FF7 remake--not really my kind of game nowadays, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it. Anyway, what is up with all the noises the voice actors make? So many uhs! and ohs! and ahhs? and various grunts. They're usually completely unnecessary and the conversation would flow better if they were left out.

I haven't watched a lot of anime but recall hearing this happen there, too (although it seems especially bad in FF7.)

What is this poo poo? Does it come off more natural in the Japanese language? Is it usually only in animated stuff/video games (maybe as a way to have a character react without animating additional facial expressions)? Or is it something that mainly happens in dubs?

GOD I hate it so much

I don’t know the game, but in Japanese culture active listening is super important, that’s why Snake in Metal Gear Solid will repeat words just spoken to him. Is that what’s going on?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Does anyone here have a pool table? Would you say this is accurate?

https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/room-size-requirements

I'm trying to find a way to get the 7' table in a room I don't use, but it's a bit too small according to this, using a 48" cue. Maybe there are shorter cues? Right now it would involve keeping the doors to the furnace/AC room open during certain shots :p

Don't use smaller than average cues. You'll get bad habits moving back and forth.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

actionjackson posted:

yeah good point. I wonder if there's anything smaller I could put there that would be good for one or two people. Bumper pool maybe but I've never played that.

Maybe a nice card table? We had one where the top would flip from leather for cards to solid wood for board games, food, etc.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Is it possible/practical to keep dress shirts tucked in and firm to the skin through a sit/stand cycle, without wearing those elastic things that clip to your foot/shoe?

I'm reflecting on how I dislike business casual, and am trying to figure out if this is a quirk of my build, a faulty habit, or inevitable. Also, neckties look so stupid.

I’ve found a good fitting pair of suspenders fixes this problem.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Suspenders are actually really good at helping your posture, and making pants / shirts comfortable. I recommend getting a good pair of suspenders, they will last you a life time.

And with a nice bow-tie they look super dapper!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

alnilam posted:

He was in a few Woo Go America WW2 movies from the 50s. The Longest Day comes to mind. Pretty much all the war films in the 50s were like this. In 70s vietnam cynicism took over and they made lots of depressing antiwar movies, even about WW2.

e: sorry rereading your question... John Wayne is a western movie actor who's very "I like tough hardworking american MEN with GRIT and SPIRIT :clint:" and in WW2 films he's usually some tough cool sargeant who brings out the very best in his hardworking men.

He also avoided any actual military service despite being the right age. So yeah his big tough guy act was just that, an act.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I cut my full beard to a Van Dyke. Then I grew some chops that don’t extend to the mustache. Does this have a name? I know having cheek whiskers means you no longer have a Van Dyke.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Memento posted:

I think that might just be a Van Dyke with Muttonchops.

Also, pretty disappointed right now that you're not actually Bak Mei

I wish my facial hair was that color and texture!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Question 2: What kind of dog is this

A Good one.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Hey there, sweet avatar. :biglips:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

If the movie's on Netflix, there's this Chrome extension. If elsewhere you have to get on discord and just countdown to pressing play.

A group of friends and I do a quarantine movie night once a week using this. It’s a lot of fun but is occasionally buggy.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

owlhawk911 posted:

this is the most correct but mine is more fun/how people say it usually. remember the "totse!' mortal combat corner popup guy? that's how i "hear" goatse when i read it. just fyi :)

I’m pretty sure he was saying “toasty!”

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Y'all know any free apps that will;
1. Say something (entered by user)
2. Wait an amount of time (entered by user)
3. Say something different (entered by user)

-----

I want a Yoga App where I can define intervals and positions, but I can't find any that are free. AKA I want to make a unique yoga class.

So anything that can attain the above features would be appreciated.

Have you considered making a voice recording in real-time? It might be a bit boring to make but then you’re set.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do NOT do abebooks it's amazon.

What's the deal with abebooks?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Hah! I read that wrong, I thought something was wrong with abebooks through Amazon’s storefront.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

What in the world is this thing that tried to kill me in my sleep? It was massive.

https://imgur.com/a/ueVFjT7

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Moo the cow posted:

A Common Brushtail Poss cockroach

Ugh disgusting, that makes it worse. :gonk:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

WHy are you sleeping on a prison mattress?

That's a wall, our basement is unfinished.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

WHy are you sleeping on a wall in your basement?

Good for the back.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Today I saw a mid-sized SUV getting towed from a grocery store parking lot because it was parked across two spaces, except it was straddling the front line to take up a front and a back space, as if they were pulling through but stopped half way. All four spaces to it's left and right were empty. What possible reason could someone have for parking this way?

Was it a luxury car? Sometimes people park like that to avoid getting hit/getting hit by doors.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

I just want to post pics that aren't cats or dogs

Try Photo a day?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

hooah posted:

Why is Fantastic Mr. Fox the only Wes Anderson movie I like? I can't even stand the other ones I've seen, but I really enjoy that one.

You might also like “Isle of Dogs.”

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

- let's say you are convicted of a felony and get pardoned. Are you able to buy a gun? Vote? Can you answer 'no' on job applications that ask if you've ever been convicted of a felony?

Probably depends on the state, at least in the US.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

You could do an awesome set of surrealist humor tarot/oracle cards! I love this.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’ve been growing out my mustache and goatee and the goatee portion is a little wild. What’s the best way to straighten it?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

TATPants posted:

Beard oil or beard balm. If you have naturally curly facial hair, you'll never straighten your goatee. To keep your mustache straight, you need to keep it relatively short with some scissors. Good luck fellow face-hair-grower!

Thank you for your input! I've seen devices that purport to straighten the hair (they look like electric hair-brushes) but was never sure if they did anything or not.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

If I buy a MacBook Pro from my local computer store can I then immediately go to the Apple Store and have AppleCare put on it without having to take it out of the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking here. You can put applecare on anything apple device you legitimately have bought in the last 2 months or so. Just go online to apple.com and do it.

To answer your weird question....yeah? Since the box you haven't opened has the model and serial number on it. I'm still not sure why you're bringing it to the apple store though.

Are you concerned about the provenance of the device you are buying? Because my advice is to not receive stolen goods.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been specific, I was going to get a MacBook Pro for my mother but our Apple store doesn’t have the one I need at the moment. (I don’t want to have it shipped and spoil the surprise.) Our local computer shop does have it, though, so I was asking if I could get AppleCare for it by taking it to the Apple store. I didn’t know you could do it online, I’m not an Apple guy.