Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mak0rz posted:

I know this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out: I think our new dishwasher came with ants.

We got the new dishwasher a couple of weeks ago and the ants showed up this week. They are only ever in and around the dishwasher and I can't find any evidence of them coming in from outside.

What the gently caress should I do here? Here was my original plan:
  1. Buy one of those Raid ant bait packages and put it on the floor near the dishwasher.
  2. Wait a few days for the Raid to get brought to the colony.
  3. Run the dishwasher empty using the sanitize cycle with a dishwasher cleaning pack.
  4. Clean the trap out of ant corpses.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 as needed? (really hope it won't come to this)

But I was worried about the possibility of poisoned ant bodies contaminating the things I wash my dishes in. Think that would be an issue?

Hello, I do a lot with ants.
Would you care to describe or even make a picture of the ants? Depending on the species, you might have a different problem there than the dishwasher.
In general it seems extremely unlikely that they came with the dishwasher and especially not that they are living in it. Ants do not tolerate hot water, just like most insects, and die pretty much instantly when in contact with it as their exoskeleton heats up very well and it burns their insides, not to mention the cleaning chemicals are pretty much all poisonous to them. Even if for some reason some ants would be inside the machine, they wouldn't act like they do, because unless they have a nest with their queen inside, they wouldn't stay there and definitely wouldn't try to get food from that sink pipe or something, as ants are mostly helpless and without any orientation without their colony. Plus, they communicate almost exclusively via smell of the chemicals they poop out, which is simply impossible inside of a functioning dishwasher.

So, your poison idea might or might not work, depending on what species we are talking about. Either way the poison would not contaminate your dishes or even you, the amount needed to kill an ant is very small and you are by far too large of a mammal to be affected by it. This doesn't go for birds or other insects feeding on poisoned ants though, so it's best to try to limit the spread of poison to a minimum and don't throw out dead ants just like that.

I highly assume you have something else going on there and the dishwasher is just the bearer of bad news there, so if you can get any details on those ants I might be able to tell you more about from where or how they might come in and what they do, but I couldn't for the life of me imagine that you would just pack up a bunch of ants that stay inside a dishwasher, wait for a bit, then come out of it and look for food, because pretty much every step of that is biological nonsense for them and physically impossible.

That said, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mak0rz posted:

You can see a few ants in the pic I posted above. They congregate mostly around that corner of the door but disperse as soon as I open it. They seem to scatter into the door? Hard to say. There were like two dozen of them then. They're small and zippy so it's hard to get a photo, but here is my best attempt at one this morning:

For species identification purposes I live in the Vancouver region of Canada. They seem too small and dainty to be carpenter ants, at least.

Outside of the dishwasher they only hang out on the floor and countertops immediately near it, and then then there's only like four or five of them at a time.

I know how ants work with the pheromone trails and whatnot yes, but the dishwasher is only run like once every five days or so. We ran it three times since we got it and only use the low energy cycle with no heat dry because of power bills and plastic stuff.

Hmmm, okay, I'd say that is a Lasius sp. probably Niger, Alienus or Fuliginosus, unless that color is more a dark brown than black than maybe Brunneus. If it's not Lasius I'd at least settle on some Formicinae, which fits the shape, color and their small size, but I agree with your idea that carpenter ants seem rather unlikely.

That's good though! I assumed you might be in the US and those fuckers might be Monomorium of some sort, which are a terrible pest and love to live inside of electronical devices, including dishwashers, computers and whatnot, where they can cause serious damage and even fires, also you literally never get rid of them even by poisoning entire houses.
So, yeah, they most definitely won't live inside the part of the dishwasher that actually gets wet and I'd still find the surrounding case or some small compartment rather unlikely, because they don't like vibrations, but given your usage and the I assume high humidity in pretty much every part of the machine, even if it's turned off, this becomes an actual possibility. I mean, just for the record, getting a new dishwasher where ants live inside is like losing a terrible lottery and it still seems utterly unlikely, but any Lasius species is known to live literally everywhere. Like, I once had an ant farm inside of a small plastic bottle and it worked perfectly for them, they never even wanted to move out and right now I have a colony of them living inside of a test tube, so.

In order to get rid of them I'd first suggest to see how they act in general instead of going to war immediately, as you might teach them not to take stuff from you if you just throw poison at them. If you can, you could turn off the dishwasher (assuming you don't use it for a day or two) and put some honey accessible to them inside of a small box or bottle top or whatever. They *should* be curious and eat from it, which should lead to a rather clear road of ants moving back and forth, this way you can assess their numbers (whatever number you see multiplied by 3 is a good rule) and especially where they go to. These kind of ants usually do not travel far (not further than 10 meters around the nest) and especially not in big numbers, so the more you see, the closer you should be to the nest.
If you can figure out where they live, you can act based on that by repelling them to move elsewhere. Poison might also work, like those bait things you suggested at first, but given their usual habits of tropholaxis it spreads very slow and might take weeks to really have an effect, plus if you don't get the queen, it's of no use. If it really is Lasius, at least they usually are monogynous, so you only have to deal with one queen and not dozens. In my experience if you want to get rid of them it works best to motivate them to leave and not force them to do so, because else they can come back and killing every single ant for species of this size is a sisyphean task, even though their reproduction cycle is slow.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That was my idea at first, too, pharaoh ants for example often live inside of walls and they can chew though concrete, so they expand and can slip through pipes, which would make more sense for them, but getting those in Vancouver is rather unlikely and they also look quite different.
Ants are not in general attracted to water, most species enjoy a high humidity but they don't go out and follow water sources or something, as they simply don't nest in places that offer not enough water or humidity. Also they absolutely hate the intense smell of our usual cleaning agents as it numbs their antennae, so it's already fascinating to see them bothering to go into a dishwasher in the first place.

However, them living in some cracks in the wall, nearby pipes that are somewhat accessible for them is still the most likely possibility, yeah.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I can't even begin to describe how funny I find this by the way, look at those guys raiding a loving dishwasher oh my God :cawg:
Like, I've seen ants doing almost anything, including killing a fully grown rat and constructing a flower funeral for a dead bee, but this, this is something else.

Mak0rz posted:

Ah poo poo gently caress I already started a cycle and it's now in the middle of it :negative: We do have honey on hand though. I guess I'll give it a try when it's done?

Most companies that offer those kinds of bait poison do not make a good job in making the bait actually tasty, so chances are you will have to wait a long time before anything happens. You can try to add regular honey nearby and they should prefer that anyways, so you still might be able to follow their track. An alternative would be to throw them a dead fly or something and see where they carry it, but I assume you don't have that ready to go.

Mak0rz posted:

How do you suppose they will leave if they're nesting somewhere inside? Do ants do that?

Absolutely! Ants move around a lot, some species more than others (Lasius is usually rather loyal to one chosen nest and they are lazy in moving though), but as soon as another spot looks more attractive to them than their current one, they will move out the second they feel safe enough to do so. Like, you could probably offer them an actual nest inside the dishwasher and if they are unhappy about their current place (I seriously hope this is the case because lmao a dishwasher) and they'd probably move in over night.

Mak0rz posted:

I was worried about nipping this in the bud before they start producing reproductives and spreading (or at best just swarming the apartment), but it seems like that's not a huge concern for this species?

That's in general not an issue with almost any non-tropical ants, they have special dated nuptial flights once, in hot areas of the US, Mexico, Southern Europe and Asia twice a year. They will not produce alates (males and queens) until a few weeks prior to that and even if they do, they will not swarm out until that date is hit - usually in mid or end of July for the northern hemisphere - so you won't even notice them. Even if they would swarm out, they have sex high up in the air by shooting sperm at each other until every queen gets fertilized 12 to 18 times, so you won't have to worry about this happening inside your home. They travel far for that and will not start doing so until they see a good opportunity.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

In byob I have an entire thread about super nerdy ant facts for you to fill your needs :sun:

Sorry for getting so wordy though, I'm less of a freak than you might think. Mostly.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mak0rz posted:

:siren:dishwasher ants update:siren:

Yeah I'm a bug guy too and to be honest was more bewildered than I was annoyed by it.

Yeah they didn't really seem much interested in the bait packs at all.

Anyway, while the dishwasher was running yesterday I decided to use lemony surface cleaner on the countertop, sides of the cupboards, and around the floor. After the dishwasher finished I ran it again, this time with the sanitation cycle with heat drying and using one of those dishwasher cleaner packs. I didn't find a single ant body in the drain trap, which was pretty strange. Only saw a few of them creeping around after that.

They were the most noticeable in the morning, probably because they were active all night when the lights are off and we aren't stomping around, but this morning I didn't see a single one of them anywhere.

They didn't really seem to go to or come from any identifiable place that I could tell. They mostly seemed dumb, directionless, and not interested in food. I'm wondering if they were just a couple of lone workers that got brought in with something rather than from a resident colony. Hell if I know from what though. The dishwasher is the only possible thing as far as I can tell.

Oh well :iiam:

I'd assume they manage to learn when to go outside/inside the dishwasher and when to avoid it, plus the smell of the cleaner may have given it away. Another possibility would be that your heat cycle killed a bunch and if it's really hot their bodies fall apart, so maybe they fell through the filter? Once opened up, the exoskeleton loses its structural integrity and the warm water can more or less liquify the already very squishy insides, so depending on how the filter looks like, their bodies might fall through while pumping out the water.

Either way, if they did not take any food and in general seemed like no orientation, you are probably right that they landed in there somehow and have no actual nest nearby. Lone ants, even if in big numbers, are pretty much helpless and will literally starve to death in their desperate search for their mom and their home. They do not scout, do not attack, do not form tracks, do not eat or hunt, sleep or even defend themselves or stop for a second, they won't do anything but search for the nest. The only exception is if entire nest structures without the queen are taken out, then they will somewhat function normally but still spend 90% of their time and energy searching.

You can distinguish a single ants' mission by observing how they walk, so if you do happen to find one again maybe that helps: If they walk in a zigzag manner, walking right and left or even back and forth while actively moving their antennae over the ground, they are exploring, patrolling or stalking prey. If they walk in almost straight lines (usually fast) they are fleeing or hunting. If they do neither and walk in circles or in general with no direction without showing the former behavior with their antenna and in a zigzag format, they are lost and trying to find their home by covering the largest area possible and not searching for anything but the home smell. If one ants meets an another ant and if they are doing fine, they will touch their antennae gently and swiftly (it's a greeting that serves identification purposes), they will mostly ignore each other if they are searching or form groups of searching ants without greeting each other like that.

If it's just a few ants without a nest, you basically don't have to do anything, as they will be dead in a matter of a week or two. In which case I must say, poor little guys. :eng99:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mak0rz posted:

Ugh I think you're right here. I spoke to soon, the ants have returned!

Thanks for the info, they do appear to be doing the zipzag searching behavior.

None in the dishwasher today, but I found a ton of them under the damp kitchen rag and in the sink. The dishwasher was heat dried last time so there was no water hanging out in there. I'm guessing they're attracted to the water for some reason?

So what should be my next course of action? Using honey to see where they take it?

Ah, smart little fellas. In that case and given their movement pattern there should be a nest nearby, either it really is inside the casing or in some dry machinery part of the dishwasher, or somewhere inside the walls, pipes or something like that. Was anything installed there before, when there were no ants around? Did you ever have ants of this species enter your home or maybe seen outside right next to your home? Anything at all that could give you a clue how they got there?

A bunch of this is a bit weird:
If they really came with the dishwasher, they should have come out immediately or after a few hours, not a few weeks after installing it, however if they were around that area before, you should have seen them before, too, unless the pipes were sealed or something was blocking the entrance via pipes.
Their lack of interest in the bait is a clue that they might not be really hungry, ants do not get fat, they just stop eating once satisfied. The only thing they pretty much always take, except when massively overfed, are proteins aka insects.

I'd try the honey and see if they accept it at all, if they don't, maybe you can try to get a fly or bug or something and offer it to them (dead, at best, if they don't take it when already dead they are really good on food, but a living prey will always be killed and carried away) to see where they go. Localizing the nest is now the top priority, as else any effort of getting rid of them will be useless.

By the way, feel free to take it to PMs with me, don't want to jam the small questions thread with all these :words:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'd guess she didn't like you bringing up dust and in general being close. Sometimes they get territorial around this time when they are planning a big coup (:ninja:) like swarming, as this is the season (May-July usually). She probably was more curious about you than actually threatening and stinging would only be an option if you would threaten her or the hive in some way - but maybe she thought we were doing so at that time.

Bees in general are not very vindictive though, so you should be fine! If you see the swarming soon, that probably was it as she was checking out if you're any threat in this critical preparation time, a good place to take a break on (they love doing that when in swarm mode) or just an annoyance they want to avoid. Or maybe you just smelled funny and she wanted to do some science. :science:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Earwicker posted:

is op in germany? that might explain some things. germans have those weird shelf toilets were the poo poo just sits there out of water for some reason, i can imagine that kind of toilet would probably need to be cleaned more frequently?

Just for poop related clearance here, these poop presentation toilets are not anymore very common in Germany. They used to be built in until the 80s or 90s at best, since then we moved to an American style toilet, but without drowning it in water like you guys do. The poop leaves its house and falls straight into the small, non-presentable opening that is filled with water (the bowl itself is dry) and then you flush and it fits right through.

I do admit though that my flat still has a presentational bowl built in as the toilet is from 1978 but it is not harder to clean. The small throne it sits on always has a bit of water on it so the poop can be washed away with ease and any leftovers get brushed. Regular cleaner is fine to keep it very clean and you have full view on the quality and nature of your logs, which from a medical and pride based perspective is very useful.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Quality poop results from being exposed to air for just the right amount of time.

So I know that you do that for a reason and because you have the second highest water usage per person of the world anyways, but when I learned about Americans flooding their toilet bowls with water it was a revelation to me. I never before understood the problem of trying to sit down on a fully opened toilet at night and getting an rear end shower, because our toilets don't do that and now I finally get all these American toilet jokes.

Actually, do other countries also do that? I know it's rather rare in Europe, but no idea about the UK. What about Canada? Australia? Are overflowing toilets an Anglo-Saxon thing or is it us Europeans being the dry weirdos?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mak0rz posted:

Can't speak for other countries but Canadian households are essentially the same as American ones in every aspect except we all have kettles and don't wear our shoes inside.

Those barbarians!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

We do not have any rules against having or making secondary accounts, you can have as many as you want. You are, obviously, not allowed to ever evade a probation using a secondary account (you are allowed to be banned on one and post on another without unbanning the first one) and if you're perma'd all of your accounts go over the rainbow bridge. Any types of probe evasion are bannable.

Note that we do take notice of secondary accounts and rapsheet entries of all your accounts are taken into consideration on all of your accounts. I feel like this is worth mentioning here. :sun:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Qubee posted:

Is there a pest control thread (mainly for ants)? There are so many god drat ants in this house, and it's getting to the point where I wish they'd just hurry up and get in my eyes already so I don't have to constantly see them doing conga lines everywhere.

The ant saga signal was lit, hell yeah I love ants

Alright, can you give some details on what ants are pestering you? Where do you live and how do they look, possibly with a photo of an ant, at best not too blurry? Do you have any idea where they are coming from and how the conga line is looking in terms or start and end point?
You definitely have one or maybe several nests in or very close to your home plus they feel very motivated to invade, so they probably find plenty of food somewhere. All of those points need to be addressed else they will develop society and overthrow the government that is your house in no time.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

My pet ants were on a feeding frenzy lately and ate like 5 crickets in one day, plus most of my remaining flies. They're still swarming the glass lid. I think they are planning something. I might be next.
If you suddenly don't hear from me again, call

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hmm, the size itself is not really telling, it definitely is a smaller species as most ants are about 4 to 5 mm in length for the workers, but the smaller ones tend to be bigger in absolute numbers of individuals. Since you live in Australia, aka the continent that hosts 90% of all ant species in modern and ancient existence with more species in one place than the rest of the world combined, it doesn't really narrow it down. :v:

Do you happen to have a picture? Or maybe you can describe them? Most important features for ant descriptions are size, color, variance between the workers (described as minor, media and major), existence of other castes (eg soldiers that look very different to workers but are the same colony), the length of their antennae, size of the mandibles (the mouth claws) and especially the general shape of the body; specifically the part that connects the thorax and the abdomen, called Petiolus in particular or metasoma for the entire area. Also important features can be their movement pattern during scouting, hunting, marching and fleeing respectively and how they react when they meet other ants. They trade secret often species-specific handshakes when meeting each other.

Actually Qubee suggested I should do an AT thread for ants, might be interesting to do!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Helith posted:

Ah, it’s winter now so they aren’t about and I never took pictures.
Can’t even help you with their features because they are teeny tiny black specks. All looked the same size though and they bee lined (antlined!) for any bread or breadcrumbs.
If an ant thread gets started and they reappear in spring I’ll post then.

Interesting to learn that Aus is the ant capital of the world though!

It's a wild guess, but if they are small, black and do not have any brutally looking mandibles or extraordinarily long legs or something like that, chances are it is most likely a Formicinae species, probably genus Lasius and for black ones it is most likely Lasius Niger, Lasius Alienus or Brunneus if it's a dark brown rather than black - similar as the ants posted in the last ant saga we had ITT. Those are just extremely common across the more temperate regions of the earth, to which Sydney usually more or less counts, doing hibernation (which is a rather rare feature in Australia for ants) and they do not grow larger than two or three milimeters in size, the queens being roughly double the size.
Of course, since it is Australia, it might as well be some Ponerinae (primal ants) which are very common in Australia but hardly anywhere else or Dolichoderinae, however just statistically speaking by the likelihood of appearing Formicinae and specifically Lasius have it, as you can barely find a driveway or street corner that does not have those guys around somewhere. They are among the most successful species of animals ever to exist on the planet and love human settlements and if we ever all die out due to a brutal apocalypse, it won't be the cockroaches that are still left, it will be them hunting the roaches, I am very certain.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Man with Hat posted:

I don't really have a question but you have made me realize ants are super cool. Yesterday I was out walking the woods and saw thousands of what I guess are red wood ants (Formica rufa) since wikipedia says that's one of the most common ones we get here in Swedish woods that build anthills and I thought about your posts in this thread. And I felt bad because it was impossible to not step on them :(

But it was really cool to see just hordes of them walking around working hard for The Colony. It's been raining this week so I'm guessing that has something to do with their numbers?

Anyway, I'd read your A/T thread.

Oh I love Formica Rufa, wait, I have this gif of them doing their venom spraying comedy bit, where is it
Here:
https://i.imgur.com/DmoZSn3.mp4

Sadly they are endangered by now due to us tearing down forests, but no worries for stepping on them, it's unlikely your pressure can pop their exoskeleton in soft forest soil and even if so, they have a solidly quick reproduction cycle.
The reason they are very active right now is because of the month, we are very, very close to nuptial flight season. Anytime between today and the next few weeks, they and almost every other ants in the entire country will choose one specific day through a mechanism entirely unknown to fly off to mate with other hands. Hundreds of millions of virgin queens and male ants will fly dozens of kilometers to meet and mate in mid air before the queens start founding their new colonies. This only happens once per year and for temperate regions in Europe, America and Asia, it results in one massive blowup of flying ants. If you live in those areas and you see unusually large and weirdly shaped bugs on the ground then, take a closer look. Chances are it's an ant queen looking for a new home and found a new colony.
The swarm of them mating can be so insanely big that our weather radars sometimes pick them up and believe it's rain.

Anyways, gonna post an ant thread soon!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Fruits of the sea posted:

Awesome, ants are cool as heck :dance:

I need a new source of ant geek info. I used to watch this guy who had a million ant farms on youtube but at some point poo poo started to get real weird. Ant info = cool. Spoken word christmas songs about ants and strapping household objects to rhinoceros beetles = :wtc:

Yeah I never understood why that dude went full nuts on the youtube celebrity part and started doing bug fights and whatever the hell those bug olympics were supposed to be. He of all people, as someone who kept ants for what, 10 years, should know better how to handle insects and pets in general and not force them to do stupid poo poo for clicks. I mean I know that guy is probably legit crazy, but at least I always got the impression he had the best in mind for his animals, but I assume if that becomes your profession based on clicks, it starts to shift.
Anyways, made a thread, feel free to pester me about ant pests there, I did a quick forum search and figured we have filled this thread with far too much ant business lately.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Both is quite correct, Formica is Latin for ant, Myrmex Greek for ant, since the term Logos also is Greek it's by now streamlined into Myrmecology. Usually people who are nerdy in that matter however are Entomologists (entomos is Greek for insect) anyways that just specialized in ants.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Hey no fair, GaG, we wanna read the most informative stuff about ants, too. :mad: Wikipedia doesn't have any personality.

E: what a terrible mod lol

:smith:
I made a new ant thread just for you for all the exciting ant words!!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Dry if it's really solid, wet if it's starting to melt on the surface. Although your touch will start the latter already, but if left alone it should be quite dry.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'd like to get myself a laptop and I have no real idea how to do so beyond typing "Laptop" into google and order the first thing that comes up. I need it mostly for work stuff (which means writing and researching) that nowadays any smart toaster can do, so performance is mostly not a big issue, although running some basic games or just be a general nice, modern all-rounder with solid speed would be excellent. I have no plans to do any artistic stuff (photoshop for posting at best), rendering or run whatever big games are currently in with it.
Any recommendations for something like this? Pretend I know nothing about anything, because that's true in general.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Should have included that I am also very bad at browsing this forum and notice what threads could be helpful before posting :v:
Thanks!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

owlhawk911 posted:

this seems fun, please come post it in byob

Could be goldmine material!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Holy poo poo they're processing the living poo poo out of that box
Maybe some guy having a blast scanning everything dozens of times

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That's the spirit of USPS quality

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

StrixNebulosa posted:

Update in case anyone cares:

Aug 3, 2020
12:02am
PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
ROCHESTER, NY 14606
Aug 1, 2020
11:28pm
PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
ORLANDO, FL 32824

It escaped Florida and is now a LOT closer to me!!!! I don't know what magic processing it a lot did, but !!!!!

I am extremely invested in this journey, please keep us posted what Mr Box has to endure during the procession

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hell, I'm posting in English but thinking in German right now, it sometimes just feels right to swap around and every so often I realize how many English words I use to express thoughts, simply because I sometimes happen to think in English instead of German, too.

As soon as the individual language barrier is low enough due to sufficient education in a foreign language, you begin to think and express in multiple languages as soon as you happen to use them both regularly. That's why visiting another country to learn its language is usually a very effective strategy to learn, as even though you have to start with screaming and sign language, once you get a feeling you begin to think and even dream in different languages. Swapping around in mid sentence ist da alles andere als eine Überraschung, mein Freund.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Is there a good way to sit on the floor without getting back pain at some point? I always experience that and it's annoying as it then lasts for like a day or two with an uncomfortable around the sacral bone.
Is that something you can train?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Alright recently I read a lot about Tesla and what he did and I'm not educated enough to really know a precise answer. Why is wireless transfer of energy so incredibly inefficient? Why isn't there any possibility to make better use of it, outside of extremely small distances via induction? Given that Tesla seems to have been so obsessed with the idea and his demonstration of using light bulbs over many miles with no cables at all, it surprises me that it is seemingly so impossible to make good use of this, outside from technical realities like radio etc., I know it uses the same physical boundaries on a much lower energy level.
Was Tesla really this wrong believing it could work?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It was! Thanks al.
So basically the problem truly is just efficiency as the energy is lost all over the place and, obviously, amplification is not possible for any net-gain as its energy gain we want to achieve and not message decrypting etc., right? Do the regular parameters important for the transportation of electrical energy, voltage and current, work the same way for these things, as in could you get better results if you just start pumping in even more juice into it? Are there any technical solutions where the loss due to the lack of efficiency is an advantage towards spending the resources for cables, laying them through the country etc, or is it really just so ridiculously bad and unsolvable that covering the ground with cables was and is the only solution?
Also, just because my dumb brain wants to ask, is the short distance electromagnetic induction in no way imaginable for longer distances, no matter the setup, or is that something else entirely?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oh yeah, of course. I wasn't trying to imply some suppressed secret there, I'm just really fascinated by how he could be so obsessed with something that he - I assume! - should have figured out to be just impossibly impractical. I have no doubts that we'd all be living under city sized Tesla coils to power everything if it was a thing that physics allowed. Also his weird work about Mars people and lightning guns is certainly something for the funnier history books, no doubts. I've been reading a lot lately about the history of electrification, especially in the US between Edison and Westinghouse obviously and Tesla's role in it, as well as other details, and in retrospect it seems so so weird to have this one admittedly weird scientist ramble about ending all wars via guns that shoot electrical waves over continents and powering entire cities without a cable and without flame or smoke, while at the same time you have two big industrialists fighting who gets to install the most wires, generators and most wasteful light bulbs. Almost no one during this time seems to have an interest in anything but the developing industrial standard and this combined with my lack of physical knowledge is where my question came from.
Really fascinating stuff!

Methanar posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

No matter what, you run into this fundamental problem. All methods of emitting electromagnetic radiation result in a some cone and over sufficiently large distances, the loss will certainly outpace the cost of laying cable.

Yeah I assumed so. I wonder if there ever will be some currently unimaginable way to get around this. I mean, this is really annoying for an earth powering Dyson sphere! :science:

credburn posted:

I often wonder about exactly how smart and significant history's great minds and artists actually compare to modern day folk. Like, Bach, Pythagoras, Einstein, are they really any smarter or better than Harry Gregson-Williams, my math teacher and any scientist with a Ph.D? Or did they just happen to be really good and had the means to be prolific?
In general let it be noted that intelligence is not a value or parameter you can compare, in fact we cannot even remotely define it. There were smart minds that never got heard and are now lost in history despite having great ideas for sure, while we have loud idiots who happened to be born at the right time and place to make a huge difference.
There's no universal "big mind" property the big names of history share, they got known by discovering something special, working endlessly on their passion, doing incredible work, finding solutions to ancient problems, or also doing really bad stuff. How it came to these situations, discoveries or whatever is as impossible to boil down to a certain character as it would be to reduce these people to nothing but their work.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Youtube Vanced for Android is also a pretty good app. Let's you even download stuff and run videos in the background with screen turned off for music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Jumping from the sidewalk question, can an American explain jaywalking to me? I live in Europe and it's legal to cross the road pretty much anywhere, as long as you are not endangering or disturbing (meaning someone has to stop or brake for you in any way) existing traffic. Of course, there are roads where you cannot cross the road or even be as a pedestrian, like highways, the German Autobahn or some special speed roads, but it's rather rare. Additionally, you of course have traffic lights or cross walks, where cars have to stop for you anyways. Sidewalks exist absolutely everywhere where pedestrians are allowed to walk, too, so if there is none it's a good indicator you are in a very wrong place.

So how comes jaywalking is a thing? Is it common for regular roads, or also just a speed based thing that makes sense? You can cross a road in the city... Right? Are there a lot of tickets or penalties for doing it, as in, is it a common thing to be caught for when done, or do people just talk about it? Are there just tons of crosswalks in areas where you cannot cross the road?