Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

George H.W. oval office posted:

The current rec I see is the Shark Navigator and it’s good

I got rid of one of these not too long ago, and I do not recommend it if you have dogs. Started out fine but just got weaker and weaker.

I like my current Kenmore canister, very powerful and it takes forever to fill up the bag (which is less messy to deal with.) Only got it in April though so I can't speak to long-term use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Its Coke posted:

I've been getting itchy insect bites on my right foot even though I wear socks 24/7 and shoes whenever I go outside. Oftentimes I don't discover them until they're already small and red (and I'm guessing old). Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

How itchy? I thought I had extremely itchy bites on my feet that turned out to be contact dermatitis from some leukotape I was wearing (but the bumps didn't show up until a few days after I'd worn it.)

But if you're sure it's bugs then possibly chiggers--they love to get into tight places like under socks.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

For years I had very short haircuts, but I've grown my hair back out and I have the weirdest part now, like a shepherd's hook shape. When I wear it up or down (especially if it's been a couple days since I washed it) my hair splits like the Red Sea and reveals this stupid looking part. It's been a couple years with the new style, will it ever retrain? Is there anything I can do?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Thanks for the tips! I haven't tried the hair dryer yet as I always air dry so that'll be my next step.

I wish I could just work with this stupid thing but the strongest part of it is on the back left/top of my head, in a weird little curve shape. It's bizarre because I know it wasn't there when I last had long hair (teens/early 20s).

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Just idly curious here, but why does my car have a separate switch for turning on the cruise control? The other CC controls (accelerate, set, cancel, resume, coast) don't work until this switch is on. It switches back off when he car is turned off, which is annoying. Why is it not always on?

It's a 19-year-old car, if that has something to do with it.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I'd never heard of a Flymo; according to Wiki it's a lawn mower that hovers! According to the same wiki, "JEsus used the mower to mow all of israel." There's also some stuff about Hilary and Trump.

Anyway, how much needs to be edged? You can hang a regular push mower over the edge of a curb and get the grass that way. Takes forever because you're hitting such a small area each time. Can a Flymo do that?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

My local Wal-Mart has started checking receipts at the door. This pisses me off--probably more than is warranted, but here we are. This is a regular Wal-Mart, not a Sam's Club.

What would happen if I just said "No thanks!" and kept walking?

I assume nobody will tackle me to the floor, but will some poor old elderly door-minder lose her job?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Leal posted:

You can walk on past them but do you really want to feel like a big tough person telling an elderly woman to gently caress off?

What did I post that made you think I wanted to tell anyone to gently caress off?

There's a nice way to tell people you aren't interested in what they're selling or handing out. But I wouldn't do it if I thought it was going to wreck somebody's day or threaten their job. No one's ever accused Wal-Mart of being nice to their employees.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

henpod posted:

I just got engaged and asked a randomer to take a pic of the moment. They did a terrible job of it and I was hoping to try and edit it. Turns out, I am terrible at photoshop. Is there a forum here where I can ask a kind goon to help me get the picture to be better? Thank you :)

I'll do it! If you still need it done, send it to me at buttthemusical at gmail dot com. Goons have helped me out a lot, it'd be nice to give back.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

What's a vacuum manufacturer that makes quality poo poo AND has decent support, in case the quality poo poo breaks?

I've had this Kenmore canister for the last 8 months and today part of it broke. It's supposedly still under manufacturer's warranty.

Even ignoring the regular crap that comes with contacting a noisy call center with the world's worst connection, these motherfuckers kept hanging up on me. They'd ask for me info, say they couldn't find me in the system, then I'd say, "I purchased it through Amazon," and they'd be all, "Oooh, that's different, I need to transfer you to whatever department." Then five seconds later the call would end.

Could be an accident, right? Well I kept calling them back, and every time they found out where I bought the vacuum they immediately said they had to transfer me, and then hung up.

Right as my blood pressure was spiking through the roof I decided to try Amazon, just in case. They offered to let me do a return. I guess that's one upside of dealing with a bazillion-dollar company. But now I need a new vacuum, preferably one that can handle mountains of dog hair.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

What does it actually mean to get a key to the city? I'm watching the Mr. Plow episode of the Simpsons, and Homer just got the key to the city.

Afaik it's just a symbolic honor. I don't think there's an actual lock to the city.

Haven't ever seen it happen in real life, but Mayberry gave the key to the city to some rando in the old Andy Griffith Show, and the honoree stole everyone's watches when they shook his hand.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

There's a pedestrian crosswalk request button thing that has been broken for a few weeks now. Where and who do I tell to get this thing fixed? Because it's a wide enough street that green lights for cars isn't active long enough for most people to cross it safely, plus it's quite busy that you can't casually jaywalk without getting run over. It's also only inactive on one side of the street, which is probably why nobody has noticed it's broken.

Check your app store to see if your city has an official app. Mine lets people report broken stuff, potholes, graffiti, etc.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Cross-posting from the DIY thread, 'cause I'm a doof who doesn't plan well and I'm hoping to know this by tomorrow. :ohdear:

artsy fartsy posted:

I have a kitchen with a few different painted textures on the walls. I'd like to apply a new texture/paint over everything to make it look uniform. Do I need to use a primer on top of the existing textures before putting on the new mud?

I haven't sanded the walls, but I did scrape off the tall peaks on the roughest texture.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

What do you mean by painted texture, is it plaster and like one wall is popcorn, another is ridges, or it's literally globs of paint? Can you take pictures?

Yes, actual mud texture and not just paint--it looks like the previous owners didn't like the existing texture so slapped on a different one--or started to, until they got bored. The whole house is full of half-assery like this.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

owlhawk911 posted:

no priming before mud dude, just knock off as much of the old poo poo as you can and go for it. sanding screen on a stick and mash what you can off like you're swiffering a floor. the more you get off the less mud you'll need to make it nice and smooth again, and the more new texture you're putting on the less that will matter (secret: texture is mostly to hide poo poo)

Thank you! You're absolutely right that this new texture will be hiding some dumb poo poo. Thankfully I also happen to like the way textured walls look (when done well--the existing stuff looks pretty bad and gets real annoying when trying to hang up pictures etc.)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

What are some good musicals I should try listening to? Been doing a lot of remodeling in the house and musicals area great for that.

Stuff I like: Wicked, Chicago, 42nd Street, Groundhog Day, Matilda, Music Man, Legally Blonde

Stuff I don't like: Scandalous, most of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (I liked one song)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Is there a term for the phenomenon that happens when you're texting someone and the conversation splits into two threads?

Like, you send a text replying to A, but the other person was already typing up B and sends it before they have a chance to read what you said. So then you respond to B while they respond to your original reply, and now you've got two conversations going with one person at the same time.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I just found a whole lot of ants congregating all over a box of tissues in my house. I followed the train of ants back to the crack in the windowsill they were coming in through and sealed it up, which usually keeps them out for a decent while, but I'm curious about what attracted them to the tissues - because they were very clearly going after them like as though they were food. Is it the aloe vera in them maybe?

Are they scented?

When I've cleaned bathrooms at the local park I've noticed all sorts of bugs are real attracted to the sinks on the ladies' side, presumably because of all the girly-scented bath products (and I know it's not recommended to use pretty-smelling products when you're out hiking during bug season.)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I love the comedy show Kath and Kim. Are the Trude and Prue characters based on some kind of Australian stereotype?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Helith posted:

Yes. Every middle aged woman who works at an Australian department store.

One day I'll visit your beautiful and exotic land :allears:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Oh, right. That. :(

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Why does this seem to be the era of fantastic comedy shows but terrible comedy movies?

Or does it just feel that way after watching Dinner for Schmucks

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

Knives Out andDolemite is my Name were both quite good.

I think things will get better as the Boomers die off.

I completely spaced on Dolemite and yes, it was really funny (and heart-warming!) I was sad that no one I asked had seen it.

I'll definitely check out Knives, thanks!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

According to Google it is television program

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Is there a thread for identifying insects?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

dirby posted:

I believe that's covered under critterquest.

Thank you! I found the weirdest gall...

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I swear I'm not trying to play dumb here, but how is the snooze button supposed to help you wake up?

From what I remember (I used it many years ago) I'd hit it then immediately fall back asleep. So I wasn't waking up, just getting some crappy, interrupted sleep first thing in the morning. I started setting the alarm as late as I could and just forced myself to get up then and stumble into the shower, which would get me out of the sleep fog.

Nowadays when my alarm goes off I immediately start reading something on my phone (news, this thread, whatever) and in 10-15 minutes my mind is so awake I couldn't go back to sleep if I wanted to, so getting out of bed is less miserable.

I assume it's something to do with biology (I'm definitely a morning person.)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I'm playing the FF7 remake--not really my kind of game nowadays, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it. Anyway, what is up with all the noises the voice actors make? So many uhs! and ohs! and ahhs? and various grunts. They're usually completely unnecessary and the conversation would flow better if they were left out.

I haven't watched a lot of anime but recall hearing this happen there, too (although it seems especially bad in FF7.)

What is this poo poo? Does it come off more natural in the Japanese language? Is it usually only in animated stuff/video games (maybe as a way to have a character react without animating additional facial expressions)? Or is it something that mainly happens in dubs?

GOD I hate it so much

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

When people with prosopagnosia see identical twins, can they tell that they look alike?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

sleppy posted:

I asked someone I know with it, and they said they can't distinguish enough to know that two people are twins. If all other traits are the same, they could convince themselves that any two people were twins. They also described mistaking a known twin and an unrelated friend with similar hair to be the twin and her sister. If two twins are pointed out to them, they can piece together that they do look more alike than the other indistinguishable faces in a crowd.

It is something I can never really comprehend even if I probe them with a bunch of questions. They also answer from the perspective of someone who has been struggling with and adjusting to it their entire life, so the idea of carefully comparing and evaluating two twins standing next to each other is foreign in itself. Instead they are much better at comparing movement and other physical traits.

Thanks so much for this!

I've been reading an Oliver Sacks book--he had face blindness, and also studied a lot of crazy brain stuff throughout his career. I can't really wrap my head around prosopagnosia but I think an even worse problem is recognizing faces just fine, but having a deficit in the part of the brain that knows whether something is familiar. This is what leads some people to be convinced their friends/family have been replaced by imposters. :stare:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

One of his book titles is even The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

That's also the one where he talks about a guy who doesn't recognize his own leg, and keeps trying to throw the freaky unknown leg out of bed!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Since ant chat went so well over here, maybe ya'll can help me interpret some honey bee behavior? There's a wild hive in a tree by my front door, and they usually seem chill when I'm hanging around and taking pictures or mowing or whatever. But yesterday I was weed eating, which I haven't done in a while and I was kicking up a lot of dust, and one bee started hassling me. Just orbiting my head, getting real close, generally being a nuisance. He stuck around till I walked away from that area of the yard; when I came back he did too. Not actually dive bombing my head but getting pretty close.

Anyway, I didn't get stung, but was this some kind of warning? Was I on thin ice with the bees?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

What's the fastest way to get rid of bug bites, especially chiggers?

I'm getting better about preventing them (pulling pant legs up and spraying my legs directly) but I still get them. I use an anti-itch cream but still scratch when I'm half asleep.

I was looking into one of those suction devices that's supposed to slurp out the poison or whatever, but there were enough scary reviews on Amazon to change my mind. Is there anything else I can do?

I work outdoors and often have to get out in the woods or in tall grass.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Gallatin posted:

I'm looking for a referral, or advice on how to find/select somebody to touch-up some portraits. They are digital and were taken 2-3 years ago.

A relative had senior pictures taken by someone 'with a nice camera' and all they did was give us the huge .JPG files via a Dropbox share.

If it is possible, I'd like to send 4-6 pictures to have them 'touched-up' to look like an actual 'senior picture' instead of just a picture of them standing in the yard.

I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for any better. Is this something that can be done?

I may be able to help, I've helped a goon out with fixing photos before. Will you send one pic to butt the musical at gmail dot com and tell me a little more about what you're hoping to see?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I have a specific behavior I'd like to learn more about, but when I try to look it up I keep getting stuff about white noise and ASMR.

When I'm thinking about something I've done that I find embarrassing or cringey (could be anything from some dumb teenage poo poo to saying something stupid in front of my boss) I get this uncomfortable feeling that wells up inside of me, and the only relief is to make some kind of noise. Could be a word, a piece of a song, a grunt, whatever--doesn't seem to matter what as long as I vocalize something. The bad feeling immediately goes away when I do this. If I try to hold it in I just get more and more uncomfortable. What's going on here? Is it possible to have very light OCD? I don't feel like I'm obsessing over anything.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Gobbeldygook posted:

You've developed a verbal tic. It's not uncommon, e.g. this metafilter thread.

https://ask.metafilter.com/97265/Compelled-to-Blurt

Wow, this is exactly it. Thanks for the very interesting link!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Per posted:

All right, thanks for y'alls input. My parents aren't going to be around forever, so it would be nice to have that smell of my childhood home in stock. I recently smelled something in the air that reminded me of my grandparent's house they moved out of 25 years ago and it took me right back.

To the person asking if I can describe the smell, I can't, it's very subtle.

My aunt's house always had the most wonderful smell. She moved several times when I was a kid, and the smell followed. So my guess is a lot of a house's smell is brand loyalty to cleaning and laundry products, unless there's something overpowering, like weed.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Who makes a nice nonstick pan?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

alnilam posted:

T fal is a pretty good cheap teflon pan. Any teflon pan will have a finite life though so there's no reason to go fancy on them.

Anodized aluminum is nice and lasts longer / doesn't deposit teflon in your stomach, I've enjoyed the basic calphalon ones

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

This question has been keeping me up late at night:

Bunions. I've looked this up but can't find an answer in layperson-speak. What causes them? No, not the underlying causes like genetics or obesity. What's the mechanical reason for a bunion? Why does the joint move out of alignment?

Mine showed up the summer I worked a seasonal job where I was on my feet all day, often on rough terrain. My boots were comfortable enough but I put some of those squishy inserts inside and I remember the heel of the inserts was a lot thicker but whatever, it felt fine. But I guess it was just enough heel to put pressure on the joint at the base of the big toe and literally push it out.

Genetics definitely set me up to fail, though--my mom's feet look just like mine.

It was painful for a while but now I wear these insert things around the big toes and they rarely hurt anymore, but my feet look real dumb.