Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Is there an "ask a doctor" thread? Or mor specifically somewhere to ask for an eye doctor? I got a new glasses prescription with no IPD measure and I'm not sure how to measure mine because my left eye crosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Why exactly do you remove fat from a broth? Isn't it just extra flavor? When I make spaghetti sauce, I don't drain off the fat from the ground beef and everyone seems to like it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Point taken about fat and broth. What about for sauces that don't get cold enough for the fat to solidify?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

mRNA manipulation is super cool and it's been used in research for quite a while.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Milk production is stimulated by the hormone prolactin. It's generally associated with childbirth, but can be stimulated through other means, like suckling. Prolactin will.be raised after birth, but can be maintained by continuous suckling, which will lead to continuous milk production (and what milking machines or people's hands simulate).Fun fact, all humans are capable of producing breast milk through raising prolactin levels, especially men.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Could getting a tattoo (on my chest or shoulder) complicate working for the Peace Corps?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Oatmilk tastes like horse cum and is still half as expensive. Almond milk is delicious but still pretty horrible for the environment.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

All about the Free Market baby. Also dairy milk is heavily subsidized so that probably doesn't hurt either.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Fruits of the sea posted:

I remember reading an article that pointed out that genetic evolution also happens at a faster pace than we think- there are small mutations happening every generation but since many of them don’t make a meaningful difference in terms of procreation, they get averaged out once one zooms out.

This combined with sudden new external pressures making new genetic combinations more viable could have resulted in faster evolution. It’s plausible that some of the species that survived the initial impact and climate change could have evolved significantly on a scale of hundreds of thousands of years or even tens of thousands instead of the millions of years we normally assume. Evolution taking place in (relatively) short bursts catalyzed by external stimuli could also go some way towards explaining why there are often weird missing links in the fossil record.

This is all based on stuff I read a couple years ago so feel free to correct me!
Evolution is a seemingly simple concept with a lot of interesting (and often counter-intuitive) implications. You've got the right idea; when conditions are unstable and unfavorable, selection is very strong, and favors rapid changes, while favorable and stable conditions tend to lead towards selective pressures that act over longer periods of time and make changes very gradually. The impact and subsequent climate degradation that killed all non-avian dinosaurs is certainly a dramatic example of that first case.
That being said, there are a few central tenents that I think would help you understand things better. First is that evolution is occuring at all times. While DNA copying enzymes make errors at astonishingly low rates, the sheer magnitude of DNA replication that occurs in an organism means that mutations are constant. Most of these mutations are in non-coding/non-regulatory areas and therefore have no effect on the cells they occur in, but mutations in relevant coding/regulatory sequences do add up, to the point where your genome is measurably different at the end of your life compared to when you were first born. This is relevant because genetic variation is being generated at all times, at a fairly constant rate, whether conditions are good or bad. It is the selection that varies according to time and circumstances. When 50% of individuals are able to reproduce, a single individual that has an advantage is going to have much less of an effect on the total genetic makeup of the group than when only 3% of individuals are able to reproduce. It's not extraordinary when dire circumstances lead to rapid selection, it's how evolution has always worked at the species level, and mass-extinction events have always driven periods of dramatic change in the species that survived.
Another important thing I should mention is that there is no direct correlation between the amount of mutations and the type of change you see. Most mutations have no functional impact on genes, the vast majority that do are strictly detrimental, and the few that are in some way beneficial often have negative consequences in other areas (the sickle cell/malaria dichotomy is the textbook example of it, if you're interested there's a ton of stuff online about it). Even then, all genes are not created equally. A single point mutation can lead to dramatic changes in the phenotype of an organism, especially if it occurs in a regulatory region. A good example of this is the cave fish that lost its eyes. The generalized way we're taught about evolution makes it seem like there would be a gradual degeneration of the eye, like the reverse of how it developed, but in truth a small mutation in the gene that directs eye development was enough to "delete" the entire structure. Scientists have been able to verify that by restoring function in that single gene, and having fully functional eyes present in a fish that has been eyeless for hundreds of generations before it. This is how multicellular genomes are organized, and because of this, seemingly implausibly dramatic changes can occur on incredibly short time scales if specific types of genes are involved. Meanwhile, thousands of mutations can accumulate in non-coding regions and unnecessary synthesis pathways leading to no discernible change from one generation to the other.
I'd also like to add that the processes that lead to fossilization are incredibly rare and inconsistent. While we can learn a lot from fossils, it is far from an exhaustive or comprehensive way to track the evolution of large species. Instead, fossilization provides intense but inconsistent insight into brief snapshots of evolutionary history. The "missing links" are the norm, and the complicated process of speciation could never be fully tracked by continuous fossilization.

Another interesting part of evolution I'd just like to add is that it occurs on levels smaller than the individual. It's why cancer is so common despite it's obviously negative impact on fitness for the individual. It's why on average 90% of sperm are non-viable. There are even self-perpetuating segments of DNA that copy and move themselves around, often to the detriment of the organism. We tend to assume evolution stops at the organism level because that's what we are, but any system that has heritability is going to have evolution. It's easy for us to view evolution in a very species-oriented way but it is in fact the unifying operating principle for all of biology.
Didn't mean to type out such a novel, but I hope you found at least some of it interesting.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there a thread for advice on a career in biological research? If it helps to be more specific, the field is microbiology/ cell biology.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Should I put down ADD as a disability in my job application when asked to self-identify any disabilities I have? I do legitimately have it, with a formal diagnosis and treatment plan from a neurologist. I looked it up and ADD does qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act, but I didn't do this at my last job and I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It's pretty well managed with medication and the doctor so I just declined to provide that info. And yeah definitley good point on not sharing medical info with employers, thanks.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I've been doing a bit of tutoring for a company called ClubZ, and a cursory googlr search doesn't turn up too much about them. Does anyone know if they're predatory/horrible in some ways? For what it's worth, I haven't had anything even close to a problem yet, just wondering if I'm somehow contributing to some lovely company without realizing it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

In my job search I encountered jobs listed with Aerotek. I didn't really know what they were until a recruiting agent contacted me and seemed very pleasant and helpful, which sent alarm bells ringing in my head. Can I trust these guys or should I stop providing them info? Will getting a job through them hurt my job security/pay? FWIW I'm currently looking into entry-level lab positions.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Earwicker posted:

dryer balls are much lighter and softer than tennis balls. a tennis ball in a dryer would bang around and make a bunch of noise and maybe even damage the dryer over time. dryer balls are made of wool all the way through, if you drop one on the ground it barely makes a sound

In this heat, I think we can ALL appreciated having dryer balls.
Especially when wearing boxer briefs.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

What's a legit, cheap website to buy prescription glasses? I have my IPD measurements finally.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Tropical storms contain around as much energy as nuclear bombs, and even the planes we designed to fly into them crashed with alarming regularity. You don't want to be flying in one of them.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

How long should I wait after putting in an online application to email them and confirm they've gotten my application?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I'm applying to be an entry level lab tech at a state lab if it makes it any easier. I was thinking of maybe just emailing the head of the lab, does that seem like a bad ide?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

More like "Hey should I buckle up and wait for a month before I actually get hired, or is this going to occupy 4 months of my life and then evaporate into nothing?" Which sounds stupid but literally just happened to me, and I cannot afford to have that happen again.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Robin Williams posted:

No, I believe it occurred in the US.

To be honest, I remember reading about this exact scenario (airplane accident literally raining human body parts onto a residential neighborhood, I believe somewhere in California) and when I went to double-check Wikipedia, I found at least 3 incidents that could plausibly be it. Do you know the location and timeframe? Evidently air travel used to be a much more dangerous game

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Any recommendations for a cheap controller that will work with/mount a Galaxy S8?
By mount I mean something that holds the phone with it, so the controller and phone are together. Old gamebox games with touch controls is much more of a hassle than I ever thought it would be, so the more like a Gameboy the better.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I'm no expert but that looks to me like some sort of cowbird/ other broad parasite

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Do employers still screen for marijuana in staes where it's legal (ex. NY)?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Eclipse12 posted:

I'm thinking of buying a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST with manual transmission but the seller says the alternator is bad. The location is about an hour away at mostly highway travel.

If I put a brand new battery in, what are my odds I could drive it for 40-50 miles before the battery dies? Assuming the alternator is completely non-functional and anything unessential is turned off (radio, lights, ac).

I can change the alternator myself once I get home.

I'd say you could probably do that, but no guarantees, plus you will likely significantly shorten the life of the battery by running it with no alternator. Maybe bring a backup battery?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is Tom Kenny the voice actor for the Arby's vending machine in Idiocracy?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I was always lead to believe insect size is limited by oxygen concentration, since they rely on simple diffusion of oxygen into their hemolymph instead of using any sort of ventilation. Higher atmospheric O2 concentrations meant higher blood O2 concentrations for insects, which allowed them to maintain larger body sizes.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there a consensus to why Starlink corn made people sick? Is it related to it being transgenic?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah, blaming America's problems (and contributions to the world's problems) on "democracy" is some reheated, neo-reactionary bullshit. The climate catastrophe is the fault of the disgustingly rich upper class who own and control all aspects of industry, government and media. They have buried their heads in the sand and tried to further hoard resources through exploiting any and everyone beneath them. The way policy is made in this country is anything but democratic (when's the last time you or I voted on oil subsidies?) And even the democratic portion of our government is heavily slanted to the wealthy, white and powerful for a variety of reasons. Things would not be better with an authoritarian, so please gently caress Off.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Badger of Basra posted:

I don’t think authoritarianism is the answer but it’s very iffy to me to say that the voters deserve no blame in a system where our entire government is subject to elections

Literally no one said "voters deserve no blame". At the same time, America, except without even the dog and pony show that is our elections is a significantly worse place for everyone involved. Cuba has functional institutions because they can't afford not to, not because Fidel and Raul sat on a pyrite throne.

Also, the main policy engine of our country (lobbying, federal agencies, and congressional committees) are all directly insulated from voting in some way. Probably less than 20% of the people in government actually making decisions were voted into office. The "entire government" is not subject to voting.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 21, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It's times like this that this video rings even more true.
https://youtu.be/PeihcfYft9w

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Don't feel bad about it, absolutely tell a doctor and figure out what's going on, that's what they're there for (and allergies can easily be life-threatening).

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

My stupid school let me graduate with a "Cell Biology" distinction without making me take a Biochemistry course. Anyone have a good and cheap Biochem textbook for me to play catchup with? I learned a lot of Biochem incidentally through my Cell/Microbio and Orgo courses, so it doesn't have to be too beginner oriented.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

Has anyone successfully trained their attention span back into shape after years of internet dopamine assault? If so, how'd you do it?

I would really like to be able to read and study for long stretches at a time but that is definitely not happening now.

Having the charger port of my phone get clogged up, forcing me to rely on wireless charging pads which 1. Didn't let me use my phone as it charged 2. Took a lot more time and 3. Were inconsistent and often shut down due to heat issues. It made me a lot less reliant on my phone, and much more judicious with its use because I might not be able to charge it for a couple of days. That's what helped me, though if your primary internet source is something other than your phone it may not help too much.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

From personal experience? Entemans Chocolate donuts, coupled with slight dehydration. I'm sure exercising and stuff doesn't hurt either.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I just got a job through a recruiter, and so far the experience has been surprisingly pleasant and the guy has been very helpful. Today he called me up to wish me luck on my job, and explained that his company often takes the people out for dinner afterwards(?) He said it would be free since the recruiting agency covers it. Is this normal?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Just started a new job, and it seems like Spanish is the predominant language in most of the other departments. Any suggestions on ways to get better speaking/understanding it? I took like 6 years in high school/college so I remember a lot of the more advanced grammatical stuff (that of course isn't always strictly adhered to in every dialect) but I'm still not nearly quick enough to really keep up a conversation.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I think a single, adult human could take on a single, adult chimp. People are a lot bigger and, contrary to popular belief, their muscles aren't that much stronger than ours to overcome the size difference. Chimp attacks are vicious, but the victims are always caught off-guard (and are often children, eldery, sick, etc.) If you had time to prepare and you had the adrenaline pumping through you, you could absolutely overpower a chimp.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I think because you're inputting energy into the system, the air in the bubbles/containers gets pressurized since the closed lid keeps the volume constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

https://youtu.be/bgEIm0nNq6U
Is it just me, or are the lyrics here "I don't want to look up/ quaalude me down"?