Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Austen Tassletine posted:

Not just the fossil fuel industry. The green movement tends to have a bizarre complex about nuclear power and will campaign vociferously against anything to do with it.

Not sure it's the Green movement so much as it is the Green Industry, which is well on its way to turning Lithium and Cobalt into the next Petroleum as we speak (for example, look at how Lithium rich countries are suppressed economically, including the DRC, Afghanistan, Cuba, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
If anyone is interested in reading a really good historical fiction novel about the environmental damage of petroleum, I highly recommend "How Beautiful We Were" by Imbolo Mbue. It's a work of fiction, but the writer experienced something very similar when she was growing up so it doesn't at all stray outside the realm of possibility. If anyone is familiar with the story of Ken Saro-Wiwa and the plight of the Ogoni people, it is very similar (if not, I also recommend you look into it, because in Nigeria alone more people have suffered from Petroleum refining than have ever been harmed by nuclear energy).

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there an equivalent to "parcero" in the DR? I know it means "partner" like buddy, but it's really only a Colombian thing to say and people have been weirded out when I call them it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I am 23, with no real credit aside from my student loans. My credit score is 681, so not terrible but I assume not great either. Is there any way for me to get a credit card and not pay 20%+ in interest? I have very steady income fwiw.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Why do some people put the locks in upside down? It's really annoyjng and makes the lock feel like poo poo.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

What are some good unionization resources? I was just told that my department is expected to double its productivity within a week while people are already working 70+ hour weeks across the board, and this seems as good a time as any to start putting out feelers in my department and others.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I'm in New York State and I have to quarantine due to a high risk Covid-19 exposure despite the fact I am asymptomatic and negative. My company is required to offer me leave for the duration of my quarantine, but the HR manager told me that since I have not worked at the company long enough to utilize PTO, I am not eligible for sick leave, and that I instead have to go through the NYS Paid Family leave program, included in which is a delay that will result in me not being compensated for the first week of my quarantine. I'm not super well versed in this stuff, but this sounds like complete and utter bullshit. Does anyone have recent experience with this type of stuff? My company has well over 100 employees since that appears to be relevant.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Thanatosian posted:

I keep seeing the word "cheugy" in headlines of BuzzFeed wannabes and they're apparently adding it to the dictionary, now; I've literally never seen the word outside of an article talking about it, though. Am I an old who is out of touch with kids these days (I mean, I am, but in this particular case) or is this just something the media is trying to make happen for those sweet millennial clicks?

I am a Young Person and I have never actually encountered someone using this word, only annoying news and social media sites talking about how it's "the new crazy word all the hip kidz are using!".

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah alkaline water is complete bullshit. pH is a measure of hydrogen ion concentration. Consuming anything that would significantly alter the pH balance of your entire body would either require an infeasible quantity of the substance ingested, or an infeasibly high pH that would destroy local tissues long before it entered your bloodstream. Not to mention your body has a fairly robust built-in pH buffer built into your blood. Acidosis (and alkalosis for that matter) are legitimate medical conditions, but they are caused by physilogical disturbances (like inability to sufficiency ventilate off CO2, or kidney damage for example) and cannot be treated by eating or drinking something to counteract the pH change.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

My sister has gotten really into sewing lately, so I'd like to get her something sewing related for Christmas, but I don't know the first thing about it. Does anyone know of any good tools(?) Or gadget(?)-type things that would be good for someone who sews? She has a machine but she also sews/knits by hand if it helps.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Could be an interpolation if I'm not mistaken.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

dustin.h posted:

Realer question: I don't particularly care and will keep doing it either way, but is there a code issue with running old lights and appliances? Appliances not so much, but I'm very fond of 1910s lighting fixtures and I prefer original wiring. Never had an issue yet in 15 years, but it bothers some people and they tell me I'm violating "a code". Never what code and they can't tell me when pressed, just " a code"/

It seems a crime to tamper with something much older than me -- twice as old or more. A 90 year old lamp, after beeping it out on the meter to ensure safety, ought to be left alone in my mind. I wouldn't think of touching the wires. Even if they are frayed, I''d just put on a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing on if possible or just electrical tape if not, but almost none are damaged in any way. I do have some dangerous electrical things where the case becomes live, but.... well, just don't touch the case and you haven't a problem.

Edit: table lamps, primarily, but also floor lamps and wired-in electroliers.
Is this a joke? Whether it's up to code or not, changing the wiring of ancient, dangerous electric equipment doesn't spoil the authenticity, just stops it from murdering or injuring you/others.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there any indication when the new Switch N64 wireless controllers will be available again? If there is none, are there any third party options available? I love the design of the N64 controller so I'm not interested in the Brawler64 or anything.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Any good recommendations or advice for tutoring high schoolers independently? I have a bit of experience but I've only ever tutored through an agency as a contractor.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I do drop off laundry, and before I do I sott and fold my stuff beforehand. Someone told me that I'm just wasting my time since they just dump it into the machine and sort later. Is this true?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I don't know anything about music theory, is it possible the beginning of the song "Way Back Then" from Squid Games was influenced by the deku palace theme from Zelda?
Here's the the Deku palace theme: https://youtu.be/s1HmMKTFtgY
And here's the squid games song:
https://youtu.be/81hTGbPIXx4

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

The only person Shapiro should debate is a Looney Tunes style anvil being dropped on his head.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

pH is a logarithmic scale, meaning at it's simplest, a solution with a pH of 6 is ten times as acidic as one with a neutral pH of 7. However, in pretty much all real world circumstances (not just adding strong acids and bases directly to each other) neutralization is a lot more complicated due to the presence of pH buffers. Basically buffers neutralize the addition of other acids/bases and tend to keep a solution in a specific range unless they are overwhelmed. Both coffee and especially milk (or half-and-half in your case) have some pretty convoluted buffers present within them that probably interact in a very difficult to predict way. So tl;dr, no adding it like that will not change the pH in that (or really any numerically predictable) manner. Your tastebuds will be your best gauge of how succesful your experiments are at neutalizing the acidity of coffee short of buying a pH probe.

To answer the other part, I'm not a coffee snob but cold brew is definitely less acidic. The type of coffee might also contribute, I got some really good Turkish coffee that is super smooth and not acidic at all. I feel like water temperature and the amount of time you let it steep and/or sit after brewing also can contribute greatly to acidity.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Does anyone have a link to that tweet with the Dr Breen speech from the beginning of Half Life 2 but it's dubbed over a massive Japanese anime girl talking billboard?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Could anyone reccommend a cheap alternative to a switch dock (if it works with android phones as well it'd be perfect)?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Anything I should know before I use my Steam Deck for the first time?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I don't think there's a definitive difference between ginger ale and beer, but a lot of typical canned ginger ales don't even have ginger in them, while ginger beer typically does. Ginger beer can mean anything from ginger in sugary bubble water, to the legitimate brewed and fermented (therefore mildly alcoholic) ginger drink.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It's probably a bacterial biofilm, which can be very tough to get rid of. Try bleaching it and letting it sit for a half an hour or so, then scrub it away.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Are there more cars than people in the US?
And if yes, is it the only country in the world where this is the case?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

You also need a compatible cell to implant the DNA into. The egg provides functioning organelles, which you obviously can't recover from ancient samples. I don't know if ribosomes and mitochondria would function well enough across a species for complex eukaryotic life (like an animal) to come to term. Even if it did, you could argue that the mitochondrial genome from the host cell means it is not exactly the same organism as the one you recovered the DNA from.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Poldarn posted:

This documentary says the ratio of males to females is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBEmLhO4KO4

Look up effective population size, sex ratio is a big contributor and why sex ratio matters in regards to population dynamics.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Could anyone reccomend a good, free benchmarking tool? My buddy's computer (i7-11700KF, 32 GB of RAM, 8 GB RTX 3060 Ti) has some trouble running HL:Alyx and other VR games (Aces High in the remote chance someone here is familiar), and we need some help chasing down the bottleneck since nothing really jumps out. Preferably something that could possibly key us in on any potential thermal or power throttling that is going on.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

What's the best way to watch NHL hockey (specifically the New York Rangers) without getting cable?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I now have enough savings, stable income and interest rates are decent enough to get a savings account, what is a smart way to go about that? I am clueless. If it helps I have about $15k in a checking account at a major bank atm with no interest and no fees.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

How/Why are new games still being released on PS4? Is it significantly more capable than its contemporaries or is it just a side-effect of PS5 artificial scarcity?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there anything nefarious about the app " TooGoodToGo"? It sounds awesome but I don't really understand how an app would make money from it, and I've become accustomed to seemingly "neat" apps being a shell for horrific abuse and/or unsavory surveillance.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Does anyone know why Peruvian restaraunts say "chicharron de pescado/pollo" instead of "pollo/pescar de frito"?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Recently came across Kalo "Hemp infused Seltzer" in New York state. Has anyone gotten these before and will they make you high? I know the labeling is really inconsistent, and delta-8 stuff is sometimes marketed as hemp even though it will get you high.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is it possible/customary to obtain a Clinical Lab Tech cert/licensure through a job where you get paid for it or am I stuck having to do a part-time certification class where I basically pay to work?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there anyway to disable YouTube shorts from showing up on the YouTube app for Android? I watch a lot of Youtube but lately the shorts have been absolutely decimating my attention span, and I really want them to be gone from the app but I can't find a way to disable them. Google is telling me there once was an app called YouTube Vanced but it sounds very risky/possibly obsolete due to being unsupported.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

Here's a thing I don't understand. Why do people insist Neanderthals went extinct if we've got their dna in us? Is this just an arbitrary line drawn out of homo sapiens arrogance? You cross a lion and a tiger and you call it a liger. How did homo sapiens get to keep his name, absorbing other hominids without apparently losing his essence?

It's mostly a limitation of the fossil record and the "biological species concept". The most common definition for a species is a group of individuals capable of producing viable offspring with each other. This sounds very nice in theory, but in practice nature doesn't segregate itself like this, so you have tons of gaps, edge-cases, and confusion. As it relates to hominids, under that definition we would probably classify Neanderthals as a member of the same species (like how domesticated dogs and wolves are the same species). However, we are very self-centered, and we look at things a lot more detailed when they relate to us. There are definite morphological differences between us and Neanderthals that point to distinct groups, and since they're gone and we're here we like to somewhat arbitraily decide they were a different species. It's all a bit silly.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there a phone buying recommendation thread the way there is one for cars and laptops? My phone is finally giving up the ghost.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Recommend me a phone and/or plan, but my personal experience is that the phone I was recommended in that thread (Pixel 6a) is a piece of poo poo that I wish I hadn't bought.

Thanks for the guidance, sorry about your phone.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there anything I should know about the Galaxy A14 before I buy one? How is the screen in sunlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there a Steam Deck thread? I want to see about putting Tale of Two Wastelands on my Steam Deck but I don't know how feasible/easy that would be.