Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There's strategy in solitaire, but there are lots of guaranteed losses, it's possible to play a game with zero legal moves that just ends without you being able to do anything. The strategy depends on you keeping track of whats in your top cards and not playing 3 at a time if you need to leave something in there to get access to something important, or not covering a card with something you don't need to move to get something out of your top cards, etc.

Every game of Freecell with a positive number is winnable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
If the moon suddenly started spinning faster or slower than it does now but didn't move out of it's orbit then I don't think there would be any affect on Earth other than us being able to see the other side of it sometimes.

That's not really how orbits work though, I think for the moon to not be tidally locked it would have to be closer or farther from the Earth, which would mean that it would probably fly away or be torn to pieces and bombard the Earth's surface with moon rocks. If the moon went away our seasons would be hosed pretty badly, tides would change, it would be a pretty big catastrophic deal. The consequences of the Earth being bombarded by moon rocks probably don't need any further explanation.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
It depends on where you live and who's selling the milk really. About half the milk I see in the grocery store is in cartons here on Vancouver Island.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Mak0rz posted:

When my partner scratches an itch on my back the itch seems to "run away" from her fingers. Anyone else have that?

What's going on there?

My guess is that you're not as sure about the location of the itch on your back as it feels like you initially are, so your brain is narrowing down it's location as someone tries to scratch it.

That's totally unfounded but it makes sense to me.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah police can treat people however the want, it just depends on the people in question. If they're rich white people with political influence then yeah they'll probably do at least a half-assed job trying to find someone, if it's a minority or poor person then they'll probably politely tell you to go gently caress yourself. If the police in question are American then they might come murder you for fun, who knows.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Try it with wireless bluetooth headphones and see if it's the same issue or not would be my first guess at troubleshooting past what you've done already.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
QCS is pretty hilariously horrible, yeah. It's generally never a good idea to go to QCS.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Can you not just withdraw a roll of quarters at the bank in America? That's where I get change whenever I need it.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Thirteen Orphans posted:

The USA is having a coin shortage.

Oh weird, I hadn't heard a single thing about that until just now. Sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
All the water in a river does not flow at the same rate, laminar flow will be slower at the sides and near the bottom, and turbulent flow will have dozens of different directions for different parts of the water to be moving at any time. The same is true for wind, because wind is also a fluid. It's a very large scale function of the temperatures and air parcels and poo poo that are all around you, and it's also being dragged by friction in different directions and poo poo as it moves.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There are passages that encourage rules-lawyering in Judaism, generally they'd be fine with that sort of thing. They even have a word for "rules that we don't have a good reason for but god said it so we do it".

I'm pretty sure that Islam says that pigs are unclean because they eat feces, so I'm sure that at least some muslims would be alright with eating lab-grown meat, and I expect that many or even most would be good with eating imitation meat that's just made out of soy or mushrooms or glutenous protein or whatever they make that stuff out of.

Generally it just depends on who the specific person is, most religions are more personal and community-based in practice, there's not usually like a Catholic Church making the big proclamations about how modern technology and developments apply to their old rules that weren't written with any of that stuff in mind.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Apathy defines the Canadian identity. Nobody really cares about anything, nobody expects anything good, the reactionaries aren't even any good at their psycho poo poo, they just rip off Americans in the most embarrassing ways possible.

I think most people are too apathetic to even really know what a gently caress-up it's been, and the ones who aren't still don't have it in them to care that much anymore. The reactionaries aren't mad about it because they're mad about delusional fake nonsense.

Canada is a pretty bleak place to live if you can't will yourself into ignorance of what's going on around you.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There used to be a Chron's disease thread in e/n where people talked about digestive medical problems, you could make a new one if you wanted. I wouldn't recommend the eating disorders thread for talking about problems that come from a physical disease or injury rather than a psychological disorder.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are you aware that Facebook aided and abetted a genocide?

Obama did that like three times but people still listen to his podcast.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

If the Swiss are such bootlickers, surely a nudge from Biden or so could bring Nestle to court for water crimes?

Why would Biden care about prosecuting people for crimes against humanity? He was one of the most prominent democrats involved in getting America to go to war in Iraq.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There's not a lot of caves that you can spend a couple hours in without doing Actual Caving, no. There's plenty of smaller public access "enter at your own risk" caves in the US I'm sure, but what it sounds like is you want to find a hiking trail featuring caves that's rated at "moderately difficult" or something like that.

e: some of the largest caves in the world are in Kansas by the way, but I don't know how many of them you can go in without a tour.

Also please don't go loving around in caves that you're not supposed to be in, cave environments are extremely fragile and even the oil from your fingers can ruin the formation and natural processes of the caves pretty easily. Find ones that are already public access and foregone as far as the interior environment is concerned. You can also look up small abandoned mines, some of them leave behind a good amount of bornite or other cool looking ore because it wouldn't be economic to extract it and they can be fun to explore, but there's usually a hike involved to get there. As a bonus you don't have to worry about ruining anything in an artificial hole in the side of a mountain either.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 22, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Different painkillers are bad for different parts of your body, and you should be aware of your own personal complications and risk factors. People with kidney issues shouldn't take NSAIDS and people with liver issues shouldn't take Tylenol. Nobody should be overusing or abusing them in general and it's usually a good idea to follow the instructions for any medication you take.

Random people on the internet can't give you better advice than your doctor, and habitual use of painkillers doesn't come without risk and it's usually better to be safe than sorry.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 24, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

FreshPrince posted:

How do I find my old posts?

I clicked on my profile
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=78786

Did the old stuff get deleted?

(I have Archives btw)

Old archived posts don't show up in the search, you have to look through archives manually to find them. Chances are all the threads you used to post on all got archived so to can only see the recent new ones.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sigh:

The joke is that, of course, I don't really have a choice here because I'm one of the lucky people to have debilitating menstrual cramps every month and if I don't take a painkiller I get to feel like a rusty spoon is in my guts. Yes, I've spoken to my doctors about this over the years, yes I'm fine, can covid please end already I'm actually in a position where I'm willing to just snip my tubes or something if it were safe to do so.

My friend with real bad menstrual cramps says that CBD tea, muscle relaxers, and having sex all work to help with them a lot.

Scarodactyl posted:

There is also the troubling correlation between tylenol usage in pregnant women/kids and autism rates which some studies have been seeing.
How about good 'ol aspirin?

Aspirin is also an NSAID and can hurt your guts if used incorrectly. It can help keep you alive during a heart attack though if you chew it while it's happening.

If everyone is looking for a medication with no chance of hurting you no matter how you use it you need to be looking something fake like homeopathy or traditional Chinese medicine or whatever. Real medicine can hurt you because it has real effects on your body, it's up to you to use it responsibly.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
It thinks the top row is the title of that column rather than a member of it. There's a setting in there somewhere to fix that, maybe go into the custom sort option in your dropdown there. I'm on the 365 version of Excel so I can't check it myself to see what the fix for yours is.

e: you could also just insert a blank row on the top.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There are plenty of levels of English knowledge between zero and fluent. Numbers are words that we have an alternate and more universal symbol for, so it makes more sense to have increased clarification.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

Got it. I just remembered the addendum: "They are slowing, and will hopefully continue to slow down. To a crawl. And thats when the earth peaks emissions. And as renewables dominate new industry, and carbon capture tech takes off, that peak will begin to decline. And decline. Away from the worst scenarios. Towards a future."

Or basically 'slowing down buys more time for renewables market and clean policies to blossom, and for better tech to develop and start removing/reducing emissions as well.'

The permafrost loop has already started. The methane we're probably going to see in the next couple decades could easily wipe out humanity even if we dropped emissions to zero tomorrow.

You're better off just never thinking about climate change at this point if you can help it. Having Biden in the white house is almost the same thing as Trump as far as impact on climate change goes.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Keep in mind that if you post in D&D you can get in trouble for saying that America runs concentration camps (it was okay to call them that before Biden was elected but it's not okay anymore for some reason) or point out that America is still very much a country that perpetuates slavery domestically or abroad (I think it's okay to complain about it when GOP cretins do it but they get real mad if you point it out when Kamala Harris or other dems do).

CSPAM is a lot less psychotic and evil than D&D but it's also less serious and "lower effort" style and they'll tell you to gently caress off for being a neoliberal or a fascist if you're into that kind of poo poo.

GBS has rules against politics in general but they would definitely have a thread about it immediately if China launched a missile at Taiwan or other big events like that.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 14, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
People who don't speak English still can use American Sign Language, it's more accessible than simple English captions (which I'm sure are also provided).

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
It is technically possible to have your stuff get damaged from a big power surge if they're still plugged in. I can't say I've ever bothered to do such a thing and I've never had anything get damaged, but I also live in a place that pretty rarely gets lightning at all so I dunno how necessary it really is.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where did “folx” come from and why aren’t folks using the k?

The internet. Dumb white people think the x makes things inclusive for some reason, that's why they do the latinx thing to whitesplain to latine people how their language is actually sexist and needs to be saved by white people.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
What i'm wondering is that is this like "a dentist whitening will give you 4 days of very sensitive teeth whereas personal whitening will give you 2 days of moderate sensitivity 14 separate times". The dentist one seems preferable in that scenario.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 19, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

LorneReams posted:

What's the best way to deal with insects, specifically spiders? I have a balcony on the second floor, and we cleaned it up to hang out at night, but always by the time night rolls around, there are like 20-40 spiders taking up residence and weaving elaborate large webs everywhere. Freaks me out to the point that I never go out there anymore.

Spiders aren't insects, they're arachnids. You can spray around some tea tree or eucalyptus oil, sometimes that helps repel spiders and other bugs (bugs as a slang term covers insects and arachnids).

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Love this thread and I've been following it for years, but could never (to my recollection) come up with a worthwhile question of my own. Well, I finally have, and yeah I could just google it, but it's such a fun and informative thread.

So, cattle and pigs are both mammals. Why is it that beef is so much higher in iron than pork?

Beef has a lot more myoglobin than pork, which has iron in it and is the reason beef looks redder than pork generally. They may both be mammals but the difference between the two is actually pretty significant, Mammalia is a very large class of animal with significant genetic and chemical differences despite the structural similarity in the body plan of so many mammals.

Humans are one of the only animals that require dietary vitamin C to function, for example, whereas most other animals like cows and pigs just synthesize it themselves without having to eat it.

Ultimately the only thing that all mammals are definitionally required to have in common is mammaries.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 24, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I mean I think it's because caffeine gives you energy, like an energy drink is supposed to.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Bouncy

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure five years on the shelf makes it good for little more than an offering to gain the favour of Poseidon.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'd suspect that it's a combination of Australia being an entire continent that is very far south rather than stretching across the equator like South America or Africa, and large enough that you can see it immediately on a map or globe without having to look for it like the Philippines or whatever.

The fact that it's a commonwealth country mostly full of white people also makes it harder for other jokes or stereotypes to stick, and easier for dumb weird jokes about how this country is so similar to "us" but the toilets spin the other way (not actually because of it's position on the globe but it still sticks), or other things caused by it's position in the world being so different from all the other wealthy white nations like getting winter in our summer and vice versa. I think it's just something that got into the popular consciousness and stuck around as a cartoon joke.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Coconut crabs don't breathe through trachae like insects do so there's no reason they can't get huge.

From what I remember, you do get bigger insects in higher O2 environments, but they don't get to be as big as the 3 foot long dragonflies of old so I think it's both genetic and environmental.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

This is probably a touchy subject, but I have been wondering for a while and haven't come up with a good answer. I'm trying to not be a dick, but this is the internet, so I might fail.
The question is how traditional hetero-/homosexuality squares with non-binary gender? Both in terms of cis people being attracted to non-binary people (are they still homo-/heterosexual? At what point does being attracted to non-binary people become "okay"?) and especially the other way around: how does an androphile non-binary person refer to their sexuality? Neither homo or hereto fits the bill, and no one knows what the gently caress androphile means (or do they?). And I guess there's also the option of being exclusively attracted to non-binary people, is that a thing?

I know the real answer should be "who cares, love is love, do who you want", but that doesn't seem to be how most people see their sexualities, and it doesn't allow you to express your preferences very clearly.

The related question is what exactly triggers the "this person is the gender I'm attracted to" response? Like, is it the genitals (I know some old school radfem lesbians think so), the behaviour, the dresscode (no) or just the act of declaring yourself a certain gender? With so many possibilities of gender expression, I don't understand what it takes to "cross the line" so to speak.

I know all of this is probably highly individual, but if anything general can be said, that would be very cool to me. Also any resources would be welcome, including better places to ask.

Full declaration: I'm a cismale bisexual/pansexual and I never much cared about what gender a potential date was.

The honest answer is that being straight and being gay and being bisexual are all somewhat fake ideas, or perhaps rather "tools", that people use to understand and utilize their own sexuality. We have these terms and social ideas for a variety of social and interpersonal reasons but ultimately people are just attracted to who they're attracted to. People who aren't cishet generally are going to be more open to grey areas and outside cases because they've thought more about it and aren't necessarily held in place by heteronormative social ideas, which is why you'll probably never meet anyone who says they're exclusively attracted to NB people because NB people don't really fit into the restrictive labels of sexuality or gender that we use when we say things like "straight, gay, bisexual, etc". It would be silly to say that you're only attracted to NB people because most NB people don't necessarily look that different from a woman or man who doesn't dress or perform strongly toward masculinity or femininity and doesn't naturally have particularly strongly masc or fem features. Androgynous cis people are out there and whether or not someone is attracted to them can be very much reliant on what they label themselves as rather than simply how they look at first glance.

The ultimate secret of gender is that line from Whose Line is it Anyway -- "The rules are made up and the points don't matter". Gender isn't a real physical thing, it's a social structure that we fit ourselves into based on a lifetime of different experiences and material circumstances, both biological and environmental, that make up the person we are and the way we feel we fit in with the rest of the world.

Something else that you need to keep in mind, however, is that gender is something that is very much political in the current day, and has been for a long time. There are a ton of people who don't feel any interest in cishet people because they've spent so much time with so many of them and come to the conclusion that they are either safer or happier or feel that their time isn't being wasted by other queer people. There's lots of people who might otherwise be attracted to a cishet person, but due to their position in society as someone who is so very unlikely to understand what being queer is like or even violently react to ideas that "gender isn't set in stone and it certainly doesn't determine everything else about your life and person" is something that many people just aren't willing to risk, or are uninterested in doing so.

On the other end of the spectrum, a lot of traditional masculinity and current reactionary/conservative/traditional political imaginary is very much bound up in the genitals of any given person, and fragile angry men who rely on systems of toxic masculinity to guide them through life will not take very kindly to the idea that someone's gender isn't reliant or relevant to the genitals they were born with. When a person doesn't dress and perform to openly signal what is in their pants, they become threatening or uncomforting to people who operate in a world where that is something of the utmost importance, which is another reason that many cishet people are going to have a hard time understanding or wanting to be romantically or sexually involved with NB people.

I don't know if all of this is easy to understand if you've been straight your whole life, or even if you've been queer your whole life, it's kinda my perspective as someone who assumed he was straight until he was like 24 and realized after his third huge crush on another person of the same sex that I definitely was bisexual. I expect if you ask most NB people what their sexuality is you'd get a variety of answers, but many of them would be "whatever, I like who I like". I call myself bisexual because it's an easy label to help people understand that I'm not exclusively attracted to men or women, but in reality I just consider myself to be attracted to people that I find attractive. "Bisexual" is a label of convenience to me, I don't really think of it as something that defines myself or my personality.

tldr: straight people are fuckin crazy

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a consensus to why Starlink corn made people sick? Is it related to it being transgenic?

As far as I'm aware there's no confirmation that it made anyone sick at all, it was recalled because one of the proteins in it had potential as an allergin.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Methanar posted:

Why is authoritarianism suddenly so popular again?

Democracy has condemned the human race to extinction. It's getting harder and harder for me to blame anyone at this point for thinking it's a failed ideology that should be replaced by something else.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Trapick posted:

Are you blaming climate change on democracy? It's not like any non-democracies are ecological paradises.

No, but climate change happened in a world run primarily by America and it's allies, most of which are democratic nations, at least nominally. The most charitable way to say it is that it utterly failed to prevent the forces of capital from driving humans to extinction, and that's not really a glowing review.

I don't know that any other system would be better, there's no way to tell now and it's too late anyways, but if everything was run by a single person who made all the decisions and figured "hey let's not destroy the planet's capability to support complex life", and the only caveat was "you can't talk poo poo about the emperor of humanity" it feels like we'd probably be better off in the long run as a species. Because there probably would actually be a long run.

e: also Cuba has like half the emissions per capita of the UK or france and like a sixth of what Canada and the US do.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 21, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Good contribution to the thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Slimy Hog posted:

You're blaming the wrong institution here. It's capitalism you should be angry with.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

The most charitable way to say it is that [democracy] utterly failed to prevent the forces of capital from driving humans to extinction, and that's not really a glowing review.

I'm not really saying that it's the main institution at fault, it's just hard not to call it a failure is all.

Anyways I think the best answer to the original question is "people in a failing world want things different than what currently exist, and that usually means different things for different people".