Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

What's that literary device where you weave a character's thoughts into third-person narration instead of explicitly delineating them? I should know this since I'm a writer and I use it all the time but I just can't remember the name for it.

Example:
Robert stuffed the bike horn in his pocket. "They'll have to let me into clown college now," he thought.
vs
Robert stuffed the bike horn in his pocket. They would have to let him into clown college now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Stravag posted:

Limited omniscient?

Nope, there's a specific name for this thing

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

In the UK we traditionally called this free indirect discourse, but I also saw/used 'internally focalised narration' as the slightly hipper French theorist option.

It was this, thank you

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Is there a word for the phenomenon where people adopt accents when they sing and they tend to be associated with certain genres? Like the grunge accent, the Indie girl accent, or the Post Malone accent

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

What's the sample in this song that goes er huh yay her, er er hey ehr hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXeWfFTFGo