Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know any of the lyrics (otherwise I could just use Google) - what's the song that plays in Silence of the Lambs in the scene with the transvestite serial killer (he kept women in a pit until they lost enough weight, than killed them and used their loose skin for clothing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a small air pump for my bike. It has a little lever (the black part above and to the left of the "p") that can be pulled up, but I don't know which position it's supposed to be in - I first loosened the metal washer, attached it and then screwed it on, but do I put this lever so it's extended out or do I keep it flat? You can probably guess I know nothing about bikes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have a similar one and you pull the lever up to tighten it onto the valve stem.

Cool, thanks. For the metal ring, do you unscrew that all the way before attaching it, then screw it back on to tighten the grip? Seems odd to need that if you can tighten it using the lever already.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright, thanks for the info. It seems when I move the lever (it's default is flat, so I assume pointed out is supposed to cause it to grip) there isn't much change in the grip area, so maybe there's something wrong with it - I'll have to look at it again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm moving out of my apartment this month, and the building manager said I was required to have the carpet professionally cleaned (presumably to claim a full refund of my deposit) and to present a receipt for such. I didn't see anything about this mentioned in my lease - is this legal? Doing so would cost at least $70, and I was under the impression the management usually did such a cleaning on their own.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

If your building manager thinks that your carpet is dirty enough to need a cleaning your options are: pay for this yourself, or have it taken out of your damages deposit.

He said that's the policy for everyone, he hasn't looked at my carpet specifically. I'll check over the lease some more.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright, I'll ask him about it tomorrow and say I have a bunch of goons on my side.

edit: drat, found something about it. In all fairness this print is pretty small :colbert:

Still, seems like a dumb thing to require. I mean I could just rent one of those fancy vacuums at the store for much less, but nooo it has to be "professional."

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 7, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't really feel like trying to forge a receipt. It's not a big deal, just an annoyance.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It's not licensed, but I need a receipt from an actual business that does carpet cleaning.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just moved into a new place and the walls in the living room are pretty long. I wanted to put up some posters that were in landscape format to go with. Unfortunately I'm guessing getting these framed is going to be expensive as hell (there are four of them, 9"x40" each). Any other alternatives to traditional framing that could allow me to display these on more of a budget? Just sticking the poster by itself on the wall looks pretty tacky obviously. If there was a way I could make the frames on my own that'd be great.

http://www.globalgallery.com/enlarge/20774/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Maytag posted:

Start by Googling cheap poster frames 9"X40" and dig around. Also Google "make your own poster frames" and see what you get.

Do you own or rent? If you want to go super cheap buy some wood trim and mount it directly on the wall- if you're no good working with wood just have some dude cut it.

I own :coolfish:

The Human Cow posted:

I used FrameUSA for some custom frames for concert posters, and they were dirt cheap. Highly recommended.

I'll take a look, thanks.

edit: looks like the custom frames only go up to 36"

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 17, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have the "digital starter" package from Comcast, not because I want cable but because that's what's paid for by my HOA. Of course I have no HD from this unless I get an HD box that is $10/month. What I don't understand is why companies like this have no problem you buying your own equipment for your internet service (i.e. a cable modem that's not rented) but you aren't legally able to buy equipment to get a HD signal?

It especially seems like a scam because I can at least get local channels in HD with a simple antenna, but no channels in HD with their digital packages by default.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fishmech posted:

Your cable account is not authorized to receive HD channels through the cable. Even if you bought an HD cable box, the cable box would only access the standard def channels and hd channels in standard def until you ponied up the cash to pay for HD.

Yes I understand that. What I don't understand is why they don't let you purchase the needed equipment instead of only being able to rent it, which is what they allow for internet service.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fishmech posted:

Who told you you can't purchase the equipment? We purchased our HD DVR box from Comcast flat out instead of paying the rental charge.

That definitely wasn't an option for me, where are you located?

I did end up getting the box, I like how they charged me a $10 "equipment pickup fee" when I picked it dropped off the old box and picked up the new one myself.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I sent an email, I figure if I bug them enough they'll waive it but who knows.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I remember seeing some pictures posted that were before color photography, but were converted to color. Is there somewhere that explains how this is done, and perhaps a site that has a collection of these? The ones I remember seeing were mainly from WWII.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can anyone identify this font for me and when you think this print originated? It looks like 40's or 50's because I've seen this style before.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Besesoth posted:

I haven't seen the poster before, but I'm 90% sure that font is good old Bodoni: http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/atf-bodoni/

Looks right, here's a closer picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

In movies/tv how do they shoot someone looking into a mirror or another reflective surface without the camera being seen in the reflection as well?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a fan in my living room that's controlled by remote (there's no switch or cord). Several times when I wake up in the morning it is on, despite being off the night before. This has only happened at night. I'm totally clueless to how this is happening. Any idea for a possible explanation? :iiam:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

Don't ever sleep in the living room then unless you have it unplugged, you could die.

Very appropriate avatar for the situation!

Trapick posted:

Do you know what kind of remote it is? If it's infrared and poorly designed, it could be receiving interference from any nearby sources (TV remote, fluorescent lights, etc.), though this is unlikely unless the designers are terrible. If it's an RF remote, it may be on a common frequency like garage door openers or whatever, which can easily pick up interference from all kinds of crap (microwaves, actual garage door openers, etc.).

Or sleepwalking actionjackson gets warm, I guess.

Not sure, it does have a red light than flashes when you press a button on it, if that helps. Also not sure why it would always turn on the low fan speed when there are three speeds on the remote, plus the light switch.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SIHappiness posted:

Are you in an apartment complex/townhome/duplex etc.? I had the same thing happen, and it turned out that the fan was set to the same frequency as someone who lived nearby. The builders must have been putting in the same stuff at every house and not bothering to change the frequencies for them. In much the same way, it could be that a neighbor likes having the fan on at night and is switching yours on at the same time.

The receiver is, as others have mentioned, usually in the bell housing that connects the fan to the ceiling. Open it up and you'll usually find something with dip switches to change the "channel." Do the same thing for your remote and see if that isn't the problem.

Yes I'm in a condo. I'll look into that, thanks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm watching the show "Addicted" on Netflix - they show quite a bit of people using drugs or doing other illegal acts. Is there some kind of legal immunity for this, or can they get arrested?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Where does the whole "that's (something something) a thing" forum meme come from? Or is it from somewhere else?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is TurboTax worth the price now that I have a mortgage? The deluxe federal/state/e-file version for this year is $40 on Amazon. I don't expect anything else in terms of deductions.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My boss gave me Ghost Recon Signature Edition for the 360 because he got it from someone else and didn't want it. I was going to try to flip it, but is this only sold through Gamestop? I can't find it listed on amazon, target, best buy, etc. If so, do you think they would give me cash for it without a receipt? I've also tried listing it here and I just put it on craiglist. I just want to try to get some cash for it with the least amount of hassle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What happened to PITR? Did it have to do with the online poker scandals involving Full Tilt?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kind of a weird question, but here goes: I traded in my skis (I lost interest) for an exercise bike because I wanted to have something to get my heart rate up that I could use at home. Unfortunately I didn't realize until I got home that the resistance range is not that good. Even at the highest level I can get the pedals around pretty easily. Since it was a trade-in I can't return it. I'm wondering if there's a way to artificially increase the resistance further. The only thing I thought of was using towels (or whatever) to put it at an incline.

This is the bike

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-1300-Magnetic-Resistance-Upright/dp/B001ICNNOY

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kind of a general internet question... recently I haven't been able to upload to two different sites - a mix to mixcloud and a short video to youtube. I use Chrome, and also tried it in Safari to no avail. I checked my d/u at speedtest which was 25/6. I did upload the mix to another site, soundcloud recently with no problems. Any idea why the two sites I first mentioned are giving me problems? It just sits at 0% forever.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tried to Google but had trouble finding a solution. I have a .docx file that I sent to my boss, who uses a Mac (I have a PC). It has some embedded Excel spreadsheets. When he opens them with Office for Mac, the spreadsheets cannot be edited because they are converted into an image file. The file opens fine on any PC. Any way I can fix this? Maybe save it as .doc?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have an Airport Express, but an older version with only one LAN port. The current version has two. I would like wi-fi, but also do use a wired connection for my PS4. Would this allow me to do both simultaneously? i.e. one cable goes from my modem to the device for wi-fi as I have now, another cable goes from my PS4 to the device.

Also I live in small condo, if I stick with wi-fi only as I do now, I'm wondering about where to place my modem. Right now it's about 25 feet away from the tv (and there is the kitchen in the way, no direct line of sight. I have it there because the cable jack behind the tv is used for, well, cable. However I also have a jack on the other side of the wall from the tv in my bedroom. Since this would be closer and have less material (just the wall) to go through, is this a better option?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

1. Yes.

2. There's no hard and fast answer to that, since it also depends on what the wall is made of. You could try it in both places and see which one gets a better signal.

Okay thanks. I've heard wired is better for gaming, but I've never really had an issues or had someone tell me I'm lagging.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a product that will attach to the car upholstery below the seat? Velcro or something like that. Basically I have a seat cover for my dog that goes around the headrests, but I need something to attach the hooks to on the bottom so that it stays on. The seats themselves are leather, but below the seat I was looking for a product that would attach and have some sort of ring on it to attack the hook to.

This is what I bought. In the bottom left corner of the picture is where I want to put an attachment, since that end of the cover has hooks on it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GL8HNA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

My first thought is a small bungee chord and a safety pin.

Bungee cord is a good idea, there is the netting on the back of the passenger seat that I could use to attach as well once I have a longer cord.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I use wi-fi at home, but I'd like my PS4 to have a wired connection since it's supposed to be better for FPS games. Can this be done with an ethernet hub? i.e. have the cable coming from my modem go into the hub, than have two cables come out, one which goes into my airport express for wi-fi, and the other that goes directly into the PS4.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dragyn posted:

Yes, but you'd want a switch, not a hub. Do they even make hubs anymore?

A hub sends every signal down every line, a switch sends the signals only where they are needed.

ninja: Wait I'm wrong. I was assuming your modem was also a router, but that may not be the case. If it was it would have more than 1 outgoing port. You want a router, not a hub or a switch. You may want to disable the wireless on the router when you set it up, just to avoid confusion with your airport express.

code:
modem ---- router --- airport 
                |----- PS4

It's just a standard cable model which has one outgoing port I think.

What is the difference between a hub and a router? Is a hub only for wired whereas the router can do both? Also is there a router you would recommend? I have a mac with OS 10.9.1

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I looked up that Asus one but it's pretty expensive. Is there anything more affordable that does wi-fi that will work on my Mac? This one is only $25. I really don't need anything fancy either, and I live in a small condo so range is not an issue.

My other somewhat related question is if something like this will work for splitting my cable modem and cable tv connections. I only have one cable connection behind the tv, and I'd want to move my modem back there with this new router so I don't have to run a long cable from my bedroom.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 12, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, I'll go with Asus, should that $30 one be enough for a small condo, or is there any reason I'd want something a bit fancier? As long as it gives me at least as much wireless bandwith as my airport express that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a Macbook Air from 2012. I would also be using wifi on my Nexus 4 phone.

This one supports 802.11n and is only a bit more expensive

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-3-In-1-W...+router+802.11n

Next step up would be this

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Wireless...+router+802.11n

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 12, 2014