Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I had a HS music flashback last night and I can't remember the group or song or anything but this:

It was a hip-hop video from around 1990 with people riding skateboards in a pool. Somebody help me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

marshmallard posted:

Edit: could also be Urban Dance Squad - Deeper Shade of Soul

loving hell, that's the one! Cheers!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

1. Has the comic page in a newspaper ever been funny?

I guess remembering the 80s makes me a geriatric

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There's an Italian restaurant in just about every city in the world because Italians are ridiculously picky eaters who usually hate everything except (mama's) pasta. Thanks to the many waves of Italian immigrants who've set up businesses in all corners of the world, there's a ready supply of customers.

Same thing with Irish pubs.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Neither of those really cater to the home crowd, though. They are usually more gimmicky than authentic, particularly in the case of an Irish pub.

When I had to entertain Italians in Dublin, after the 2nd day they wouldn't eat anywhere except Italian restaurants. It was bitch, bitch, bitch, moan, moan, moan until they found a place where they could abuse the guy because he didn't use the right olive oil.

There are Irish pubs everywhere because of the huge Irish diaspora who want a familiar setting and also because a lot of places in France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland (to name a few) don't have a pub culture and serve beer in tiny wee glasses with stems, don't have darts or crisps, and certainly don't have Irish or British telly (for the sports, mostly).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Why are carnitas more expensive than other meats at alot of restaurants (like Chipotle or Qdoba) when its like a 1.50 a lb for pork shoulder at the grocery store, where steak and chicken are far more expensive?

It's cooked twice (roasted then fried, I think)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It reinforces my point -- Irish pubs in America are gimmicks for your evening entertainment. 99.9% of their patronage are Americans looking to drink Guinness in an environment with any shred of authenticity. They are not, like other ethnic restaurants, a place where those ethnicities might flock to eat home food.

The original question was asking about places outside the USA, I mentioned several cities in Europe where I have been to Irish pubs and met quite a few Irish people (in fact I live next to one in Geneva). You're the one referencing the kiss-me-I'm-Irish gimmick capital of the world like it has any relevance to anything.

Most Irish tourists or residents in the states will be perfectly comfortable with the drinking culture (it's borrowed heavily from Ireland's) so won't feel the need to go to an Irish pub except for early mornings in August and September for the GAA championships. Outside of most anglo cultures, the pub scene is significantly different and so there is a market in the Irish expat community for an Irish pub.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You've seriously never seen this?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

How about this one?

What can I do:

1. at night
2. that doesn't involve eating or drinking
3. with a significant other of the opposite sex

Aside from movie/play/TV/concert/bowling/sexing, I can't think of anything. Especially that can be done last minute.

Origami

Learn a musical instrument (this could be a guitar or keyboard or decks or just cut and paste poo poo together on your computer)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They get boring after a while (aside from the sexing. That doesn't take up all night generally though). At some point you've seen everything that's out, there's nothing on TV, etc.

There's gotta be something else out there to do. Besides loving board games and origami. Jesus. I'm trying to think of things that involve leaving the apartment.

And learning a musical instrument with another person is definitely not fun, especially when you already know how to play one. Not the best teacher, this guy here.

Maybe I just have a short attention span. I dunno. I'm the kind of person that doesn't listen to an album more than 3-4 times or watch a movie more than 2 times, so maybe it's just me.

This is becoming a not so small question, though I suppose it is stupid, so I'll probably cease discussion after this post.

Have you tried sitting in a chair and finding fault with every single thing ever?

Seriously though, you need to find something that really truly interests you and you alone and let your partner figure out what they like. It's not uncommon for 2 people in a relationship to be totally into completely different things. If you both meet halfway on something that's just OK for both of you then neither of you are really happy.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Seriously. Why?

OOOOOOOHHH Shiny! I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it

How much how much how much how much how much how much?

It was a marketing decision rather than an engineering decision.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

thefoozl posted:

I wasn't sure exactly which sub-forum to put this in (perhaps SAP would have been better?), but I'm looking for a website with quizzes or collections of questions/exercises to do with grammar. Google tells me there are more than a few of them out there, and some will certainly be better than others.

I want to cover things like nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, determiners, punctuation and parsing. I already have a book to teach the stuff, but need practice.

Does anyone favour any particular website?

Note: I'm from NZ, which leans more towards English English, if that makes much of a difference in anything but spelling.

There's a TEFL/TESL thread in Travel and tourism (don't ask)

What level?
Beginner: http://www.tolearnenglish.com/free/news/pdfg.php
Intermediate: http://www.englishpage.com/grammar/
Advanced: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/5/

also, it's British English :eng101:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

thefoozl posted:

Thank you Greazeball, that should help me a lot. I wouldn't have looked in T&T.

No problem, mate! Post in the TEFL thread or send me a PM if you've got any more questions.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Break The Sky posted:

So a friend of mine in the States is coming to visit me in Canada. Except her passport expired, which we didn't know until after she'd booked her bus ticket.

If she were to go into the passport office on Monday, with all her documentation, proof of travel, and explained the situation, what are the chances that she would have a passport by Thursday? I can't seem to find any conclusive information on this on google, and neither of us can afford the ~$300 it would cost to have it rushed through a third party company :(

edit: As a vaguely related side note, I keep hearing that it's possible to enter Canada with an expired passport and a valid drivers license? I know there might be a hassle on the way back, but is that feasible?

No chance. It took nearly 4 weeks just to get new pages put in mine and I paid extra for a rush job.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

would there be any good reason for my fingers to smell like pickled onions from time to time, even after I've not had any for months?

You've scratched in your ear, behind your ear or in your bellybutton. Those places get funky.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Does anyone know a site where I can order cheap tearaway clothes? I'm in Europe.

It's uhh, for a project.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We're all fecal experts here.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Underflow posted:

Just pry the keyboard open, no? I've done it to clean old ones, and have to do it on a regular basis to change the configuration of the drat French keyboards they sell here exclusively. You can remove all keys with a gentle 'snap' from the inside.

Could French keyboards be any more loving retarded? :france:

Periods? gently caress those, we're French! Our sentences never end anyway, you can use the shift key to type a period. :psyduck:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xandu posted:

This doesn't seem worth its own thread. How many of you guys send personal emails anymore? Other than for work/school and occasionally to my parents, I've pretty much stopped using it.

I send a lot. I despise social networking sites and my google talk is always invisible. If I'm at the computer I'm usually working and I'd rather deal with personal stuff on my personal time.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Wow, defensive much?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

My landlord is selling the building that I am living in soon. This has never happened to me before, what should I expect? Does the new landlord have any legal responsibilities to notify pre-existing tenants of anything? Is there anything keeping him from changing the rent suddenly or anything like that? I don't have a lease with the current landlord anymore, it is just month to month, can the new landlord impose a new lease on me?

edit: well I say "soon", but really it could be months away, with how slow things run around here.

It depends on where you live as state, county and city laws will determine what the new owner can and can't do.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

Can you get a youtube clip of it?

not sure if the link will work but... http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/extern...b20=&loggedin=0

once the promos stop you can skip to 6:45

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

I get a lovely picture of policeman cartman telling me I can't see it.

It's because you touch yourself at night

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If you already use mac, then you get an iphone.
If you don't have a mac then you get android.

They are basically the same unless you are some power-user sperglord who can't abide having anything less than THE BEST SPECS every second of every day.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Szurumbur posted:

I have two small, and probably stupid questions!

1) What is a good program to view .gifs in? I have a bunch of them saved (mostly from the .gif thread in PYF), but somehow the only program that can open them is Quicktime, and even that opens only some of them. I tried Google, but it seems I am unable to find any other program.

your web browser?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

hooah posted:

What's something that's cheap and easily replaceable, but still satisfying to smash to bits?

go steal some pallettes from behind your supermarket and stomp the poo poo out of them

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It can be as stupid as you want as long as it's safe for work

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

What causes water in the kettle or saucepan to roar even long before it actually starts to boil?

God.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nicola posted:

I'm going to be on a trip to Zimbabwe soon, and was hoping to take some money with me on the grounds that I'll be in an area where the chances of finding an ATM is very low. However, I'll have a stopover in South Africa, which has quite low restrictions on the amount of money you can take with you.

Does anyone know if this restriction will apply to me, being that I'm literally just going to be hanging around in an airport for two hours?

If you don't have to go through customs/show your passport/have a visa then the restrictions shouldn't apply to you. Police in airports can always do whatever the gently caress they want though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've got a desktop and I just bought a new hard disk for it. There are only 2 places for hard disks in the case so I've replaced the secondary one. Now I want to replace the 80GB C drive with the 500GB drive I just took out. It's a bit old and I bought it refurbished so I don't have the xp install cds and I'd like to avoid that if possible anyway.

Can I make an image of the 80GB drive, make an 80GB partition on the other one and just copy the image onto it? It sounds way too easy.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

Is calling a cheap car with lovely mods "riced out", or the person who does such a "ricer", racist?

In my experience the answer to "Is X racist?" is always yes, but the term was a sweeping generalization of Japanese cars, not people, and I don't think you can be racist against inanimate objects.

You're stereotyping asian people and using a negative term to describe them. Imagine if someone asked you why you were wearing *black person* shoes just because they were Air Jordans. They are using your possessions to make racist stereotypes.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

JDanielS posted:

Would you feel awkward if anyone you never met and hadn't specifically given your home number called it first instead of contacting you through e-mail?

More pissed off and annoyed but awkward works too. Did they tell you where they got your number in their first 10 words?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shags posted:

Does anyone know how hard it will be to get tickets to The Eminem Concert in Melbourne, Australia on December 1st?

I have never brought concert tickets before so I don't know if I should stalk the website when the tickets are first released(they start selling midday) or wait until after work? I'm worried they would sell out too fast if I wait.

I can't get much information from the ticket master website...

Stalk that website and prepare yourself for frustration as it crashes for 45 minutes and all the tickets are gone. Seriously though, this is the cheapest and easiest way to buy the tickets (the tickets are for you and you're buying them with a credit card in your name, right? I've had huge headaches trying to buy tickets for other people with Ticketmaster in the states), and there's plenty of time to make a plan B if plan A doesn't go through.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

Is there a name for the sensation of reading or writing a word so many times that it loses all sense of being right?

What word is it?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Oldie but goodie. Follow this advice and you're miles ahead of the competition:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/101949754.html

Nice link, cheers! I've got loads of students who are totally loving hopeless at writing cover letters and CVs in English. They just don't understand that it's not a formula and that every single person doesn't get equal consideration.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a page where you can find whether a first name usually belongs to a man or a woman? I live in Europe now and I just have no clue when I receive emails how to reply. I felt like an rear end when I called Maxime Madame last week and now I'm a little stuck on Rudi (he's from the Netherlands, so he's most likely a guy right?).

Now I'm just putting the names in GIS and seeing what comes up and I've also found this but does anyone know of something better?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

But I'm not always writing in English or to native English speakers. It's totally unacceptable in many European cultures to address someone by their first name if you're sending work emails or writing complaint letters.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

dokmo posted:

Why not type the name in GIS or facebook and see what gender comes up?

That's what I am doing (after the Maxime fiasco)! GIS just wasn't very conclusive for Rudi and I'm sure there are other people who have to deal with this and maybe one of them has a better idea.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Teachers used to be able to use the belt on students, now they have to give problem pupils special homework "so they don't develop a failure complex"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I bought a pair of Ray Bans about 3 months ago. Within a month of using them, both of the arms became so loose that they would close up with gravity alone. I tightened the screws with a screwdriver, but within a week they were loose again. Are they defective, or is this normal behavior? I normally wouldn't care about it, but if I'm paying $150 bucks for sunglasses, I expect them to be of perfect quality. I'm not sure if its worth going back into the store and trying to convince them to do something other than just tightening the screws for me.

Ray Bans come with a one year warranty so if the store can't repair them to your satisfaction you should be able to get them relaced